Skip to content

Letter

ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
Okay so I am doing a replay of BGEE - cos why not right?

And I kill some Flind's at High Hedge and find a letter on one of their corpses saying "Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man but can not walk or hold things?" and I'm a little "wtf?"
Was this a preexisting easter egg? Or something BGNPC project added? Or is it a bug and theres supposed to be more?

EDIT:
Also it's randomly worth 100gp.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GreenWyvernGreenWyvern Member Posts: 247
    Shandyr said:

Isn't it nice how you can discover new things about this game after such a long time? :)

But I found three of them throughout my first playthrough... [though, I must say, each time was as precious as the last!]
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Hmmm... I wonder if I'm just crazy at the moment or if I never even thought of actually trying to solve this riddle! :tongue: There's got to be an answer... right? Or is it one of these questions you have to reply to with "42" being none the wiser? :pensive:
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Interesting... The strref that the "letter" uses as its description has a preface that you do not see in game...

[Clue in library]Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man but cannot walk or hold things?

What on Toril could "Clue in library" mean? This is supposed to be a clue to something? What could it be?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I hate that letter.

I kill something and see it and go "oooh spell scroll!"

Go to pick it up and it's just trash!
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Oh, see, when something drops a scroll, I usually just assume it's Infravision anyway. So no big loss.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Jarrakul said:

Oh, see, when something drops a scroll, I usually just assume it's Infravision anyway. So no big loss.

Id rather have that go the xp.
    deltago said:

Jarrakul said:

Id rather have that go the xp.
    Hm... well, 100gp will always be 100gp, but the XP you get will become less and less valuable as you reach higher levels. Unless the XP gain scales, then I'd say the letter would be more worth it in the late game. Yes, you may already have a million gold pieces by then, but a 100gp will always be worth the same amount, while something like 100xp will become more and more irrelevant as time goes on. Not to mention, splitting the XP throughout a party.

Though, another way you could look at this is this; the letter will take up room in your inventory until you sell it, while the scroll will go away once used.

Or wait, am I reading this wrong?

I may be reading this wrong.

I don't even know why you would bother micromanaging the profit and loss form such a small insignificant piece of loot that becomes irrelevant, fast. I. I don't know.

Help.
    See, what I sometimes do is 'pretend' that it is a different spell scroll, usually Melf's Minute Meteors.

@GreenWyvern In BG1:EE the XP you get for memorizing scrolls is quite negligible. It is only 10 XP per level of spell. So a level 1 spell would be worth 10 XP and a level 5 spell would be worth 50 XP.
    edited March 2015
    Tresset said:

See, what I sometimes do is 'pretend' that it is a different spell scroll, usually Melf's Minute Meteors.

@GreenWyvern In BG1:EE the XP you get for memorizing scrolls is quite negligible. It is only 10 XP per level of spell. So a level 1 spell would be worth 10 XP and a level 5 spell would be worth 50 XP.

There's a point, after picking enough locks, where I just go "I... why do they even give you XP? This just feels like an insult!"

• ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    I just found it amusing that after all this time and all these playthrus that this is the first time i've found this letter. lol.
    Find a bolt of polymorphing and then we will talk...
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Talk is cheap, @Tresset! Try finding several Bolts of Polymorphing in the same run, and then you'd be setting a real challenge.