Skip to content

Something new called " High Abilities"

I am a wild mage level 18 and can: 1) extra level 6 spell; 2) alacrity; 3) summon planetar(?); 4) energy blades(?); 5) dragon's breath(?); 6) comet (?). My team consist of Neera, Viconia, Jaheira, Imoen, and a new guy who seems to get along with you know who, Valygar. I think I have plenty of magic and need more brawn. Which one of the above will help best, do you think? I'm leaning towards alacrity.

I feel I spend almost as much time researching this game as playing it. Thanks for all your help!!

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    High level abilities are abilities you may pick once you reach 3m XP. You might pick one per level.
    As mage, these spells will basically be added to your level 9 spellbook (Except for the three "additionnal spell" thing).
    Take Improved alacrity first, then dragon breath
    As cleric, their high level abilities spells will be added to your level 7 priest scroll
    As any other classes, these will be one-use ability (most being pickable more than once) and you will get one per level.
    Of course there are a few exceptions, some high level abilities are passive effects (the additionnal spell thing, and some other you will discover later)
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Which order you take your abilities in depends on how you like to play. If you sling spells a lot, Improved Alacrity may be a good first pick. If you're relying more on party buffs, I recommend going with +lvl6 spell first. Basically all of the spells are great choices though, it's hard to really do anything wrong.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Dragon's breath does massive damage and is party friendly iirc.
    It also bypasses magic resistance. Very handy.
  • AnomalyAnomaly Member Posts: 62
    Do not forget Summon Planetar. The best summon of the game, by far.
  • reap_iireap_ii Member Posts: 43
    All are great. I usually take energy blades last though cuz i dont like the bug associated with the ability. U keep the apr boost after the ability expires. Have to reload to get rid of it. Unless its been fixed recently?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Odd. Energy Blades in EE give you extra APR even after they're gone? You didn't get that boost in the vanilla game.

Also note that both Dragon's Breath and Comet knock down the enemy and render them unconscious. DB's unconsciousness effect has a save penalty of -10, but only lasts 3 seconds; Comet's has no save penalty, but lasts 18 seconds, assuming EE HLAs operate the same way as in vanilla.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    If you consume all of your energy blades in EE you get the 9APR on mainhand till you reload indeed. That's annoying because the spell in itself is good and not totally cheesy.
    Basically I sometimes use the bug for confort (I have my F/M dual wielding with GM and gauntlet of extraordinary specialization and this would be 9APR with IH, but re-using IH everytime is annoying), but it is much more cheesy on other classes (think of swashbuckler cleric, assassin mage, etc... with 10APR given that none of them should have more than 6 (Dual wielding a belm/kundane along with IH)). + the fact it does not disappear through death, neither does it through dispel.

@ream_ii: it is not fixed yet.
  • ElfieElfie Member Posts: 61
    I went with alacrity, it's really fun! I did not understand that I would be able to get more of these "skills" later. I thought it was a one time event.

Smegolheart that is a very good link. I guess I won't get the energy blades. I don't understand the conversation but it sounds like it is trouble, and believe me I have enough trouble with this game.
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Energy Blades makes Viconia a killing machine!
    Energy Blades are a very powerful spell, and easy to use. Don't be intimidated, try them out! You'll learn only from experience - yours as well as ours ;)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2015
    Kudos for trying out Neera with a wild mage pc, I tried that too. (Didn't end well, I was playing no-reload, as well)

If you are still in SoA, get Planetar. An improved hasted Planetar can deal with most any SoA encounters by herself. Dragon breath does massive damage and bypasses magic resistance:it fries pesky drows nicely. Comet is the weakest, does not bypass mr, so leave it to last. (In my game a mod changes it to blue color and it does half crushing half cold damage, it is my favourite. Comets are huge chunks of frozen ice and crystal rocks until they enter atnosphere and start burning anyway, this spell brings out the comet directly to surface so it makes sense to me)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @lunar My comet mod is better than your comet mod :tongue:
    edited March 2015
    lunar said:

Kudos for trying out Neera with a wild mage pc, I tried that too. (Didn't end well, I was playing no-reload, as well)

I sometimes wonder if I made this game more difficult than it should be with 2 wild mages. If you think about it I have access to all of the spells - what a headache to remember! But it seems the higher the level
    the fewer wildness. Also, there are special robes and a spell to limit the randomness. But still I wonder...

Post edited by Tresset on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2015
    Elfie said:

lunar said:

I sometimes wonder if I made this game more difficult than it should be with 2 wild mages. If you think about it I have access to all of the spells - what a headache to remember! But it seems the higher the level
    the fewer wildness. Also, there are special robes and a spell to limit the randomness. But still I wonder...

Oh don't worry, it pays off. A high lvl wild mage with chaos shield can use reckless dweomers to great effect:with Robe of Vecna, you can abuse reckless dweomer to release 5 dragon breaths instantly, since dweomer spell ignores alacrity. That's 100d10 fire damage to every enemy in a blink. And you only use your first lvl slots!
    Post edited by Tresset on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Or you could just cast NRD via a hotkey, and you won't have to expend any spells at all.
    I don't have that robe. I think I saw it when I first went in the store but did not have the money. I have Tunic of Blindseye, and Robe of Goodman Hayes. If I am able to go back, now I am battling Irenicus, I'll buy it. Thanks for the info.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Ummm ... whether you can go back to do some shopping depends upon where you're battling Irenicus. If you can go back, then do so - the Robe of Vecna is well worth having.