11.43%
    3. Either or it doesn't really matter to me
      14.29%
    4. Don't care, don't watch Anime
      17.14%

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited April 2015
    I for one find most dub overs to be completely aberrant, they just weird me out.
    They mess up the tone of the show and it some cases the dubbed version will go so far as to remove elements of the show it does not deem family friendly or whatever. "see dubbed one piece, where Sanji doesn't smoke and nobody ever dies, making Nami's story line completely pointless"

Of course there are exceptions to the rule the only good dubs I can think of are DBZ, Samurai Pizza Cats and maybe Pokemon.

Some of the greatest animes of all time fall completely flat if watched in their dubbed versions, see Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and FLCL just to name a few.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    There's very few dubs which I find on-par with Japanese Originals. On the other hand, there has been a recent increase in so called "simul-dubs", some of which I found to be of surprising quality. (For example: Knights of Sidonia or Psycho Pass) So I kinda hope that Dubs get better and I'll be able to enjoy them as much as original one day.

As a rule of thumb you could say that, the older the Show is, the more likely any Dub will be a letdown.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    jackjack said:

Nothing, Anime included, should ever be dubbed.

That.

I will admit I did watch one series dubbed once. But since the English dubbing sounds horribad and cheesy as hell, and the characters were mostly dumbasses, the cheesy dub fit very well. I've actually tried re-watching it un-dubbed, and the characters just don't sound dumb enough.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    For it's not a question even for a second.

I like to learn Japanese from Anime and manga. I adore this language. This is why I always watch Anime with subs;)

Also, the voice acting in Japan has a far greater prominence than voice acting in most other countries. "Seiyuu", as they're called, do a wonderful business. It's amazing really, very often the voice acting in Anime is top-class.

For example, Hiroaki Hirata, the seiyuu of Sanji from One Piece @SmilingSword posted, is one of the best ever and my favourite.

Another example is Yamaguchi Kappei, the seiyuu for Usopp in One Piece and in the same time he's also the seiyuu of L from Death Note. It's like two different people have voiced these characters, but in fact it was one.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    edited April 2015
    It all depends if I want to do something else while watching the show (e.g. homework, grade papers, write code...). If so, I will go with the dubbed version, if I want the show to take all of my attention I will go with the subs. I am also a slow reader so when I watch dubbed I don't have to pause all the time to know what is happening.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Definitely subs over dubs. That's not to say that there can't be good dubs. It's just like I prefer watching anime in japanese.

Then again, what @SmilingSword said seems unbelievable to me. DBZ dub is good? Seriously? With scipt being modified for no apparent reason, to replacing original BGM with shitty emotionless music? Really?

Only in funimation dub, Son Goku, just after becoming Super Saiyan, is presented as superhero of justice instead of vengenful warrior. Even parody verion is more accurate than what funimation has pulled off. At least there Goku mentions his name and fact of being SSJ.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rRvljxKthA

Only in funimation dub, Vegeta was evil because Freeza (yes, Freeza, not Frieza. Is that too hard to spell?) ordered him so.

Only in funimation dub can utterly ruin Gohan's SSJ2 transformation with shitty monolouge (what, viewers were too dumb to understand what Gohan was going throught?) and shitty music.

Only in funimation dub, the most charismatic villain in the story sounds like a F.A.G (Freaky Alien Genotype)

Only funimation could do so poorly that parody fandub sounds more natural and fits characters more!

Only in funimation you dumb down character names for no apparent reason (It's not Kakarot, it's Kakarotto. It's not Vegito (Vegeta + ?), It's Vegetto (Vegeta + Kakarotto, dudes, he even says that in the panel of the manga!), Tenshinhan instead of Tien.... The list goes on.

I could've made much bigger list, if I ever has enough patience for this travesty of a dub.
    Ok the DBZ dub thing is mostly because I watched it on TV in highschool and it was dubbed, I didn't really know any better.

Also I watched the last DBZ movie in japanese and found it just didn't feel right to me, I'm kinda attached to the horrible english voice acting for the show, anyways doesn't really matter anymore because I can't watch DBZ ever again because I've been spoiled by Team4Star.

If you don't know Team4Star, do yourself a favor and go to youtube and find their channel now.
    Then watch all their stuff, then find out they only do one Hellsing abridged a year at Halloween, then try not to cry,
    then cry alot.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Sometimes it is good to turn the brain off and watched things dubbed. You spend more time admiring the artwork instead of reading text.

But mostly I'll watch things in sub
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I hate dubs
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680

Some of the greatest animes of all time fall completely flat if watched in their dubbed versions, see Cowboy Bebop...

Cowboy Bebop is widely regarded as having one of the best dubs ever.

Personally I generally don't like subs because I prefer to be able to concentrate on the movie, rather than having to read at the same time. That said, some (many?) dubs are so terrible that subs are preferable.

For fun (although not anime) try comparing the dub vs sub on Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. At times its like having two completely different movies!
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I don't watch anime, but as a rule I would want to see the original content of anything.
    edited April 2015
    karnor00 said:

For fun (although not anime) try comparing the dub vs sub on Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. At times its like having two completely different movies!

This is true and the really weird thing is, in most store bought anime or asian bluerays the company done subbing with be terribad.
    Any fan subbing group worth it's salt does subbing better that all of the subbing I've seen on asian dvds and bluerays.
    Really strange they just don't reach out and hire these people who basically do this for free.

Also more weirdness, I said Samurai Pizza Cats dub was better than it's sub and this is true, because when the footage was sold to an american company, it was sold RAW " which means without being subbed.".
    The company knew of no one who could speak japanese, so they just made up random story lines over the footage and it turned out to be way better than the original.
    The creators of Samurai Pizza Cats have even admitted the american abridged version was better than the original.

Samurai Pizza Cats

That has got to be the best name in history.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Sub for the most part. But for me it depends on the languages involved. If it's Japanese to another Asian language it's generally quite good. I used to watch Cantonese dubbed Japanese anime, and prefer that over Japanese with subs. But watching any Japanese anime with English dub is pretty much always terrible. Maybe something gets lost in the translation between such dissimilar languages, and it just works better between two Asian languages.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I grew up almost exclusively on dubs. I hated reading the tiny font at the bottom of the screen; it just took away from enjoying the lovely art and animation. But since the boyfriend's subscribed to crunchyroll, I've gotten used to it. Now I'm an either-or type person. I follow English VAs a lot, so if there's a good casting, I'll watch the dub just to hear my favorite VAs perform. But if it's a not-so-good casting... I'll stick with the sub. ^_^;;

Some jokes are better executed in subs as opposed to dubs though. Take this scene from Steins Gate, first in Japanese, then in English:

[spoiler=Sub] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYvhhMjW32k [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dub] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Pq7pLcslo [/spoiler]

The premise of the joke stays the same, but... Execution is way different, and personally, I find the Japanese one funnier.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I have a great deal of distaste for dubs that go past translation. Editing the vid/story etc of a serious anime to make it more 'kid friendly' is more than a bit insulting to the creators IMHO, but I suspect many creators are okay with it, on the grounds of 'money!'. Changing story material or music isn't really dubbing, it's remaking. No reason to besmirch dubbing more than necessary. I have enjoyed both, but admittedly favour subs... I have watched many more old martial arts movies subbed, and I can easily keep up with the reading even while very, very intoxicated. Which is important, if you almost exclusively watch movies/shows/etcs while not strictly sober (or, most accurately, even remotely sober).

Now, as for 'decent' dubs, which just offer an english soundset, it still varies a bit. I love the Ranma 1/2 Dub (Genma and Soun just sound wrong in Japanese... The English dub imho fits their personalities better), but I can't watch Full Metal Alchemist dubbed. The Dubbed voices in FMA were like sandpaper on my ears, to the point of 'I'm not watching this, even if it is a favourite'. I love the Cowboy Bebop dub (anyone who doesn't LIKE the English Dub should reevaluate their tastes, it's objectively good, though Edward can get annoying), and am neutral on the Trigun dub, for example... some voices were very, very good in the Trigun dub, some were questionable, some downright bad. In FMA, the original voices were extremely well cast, meaning the Dub was almost doomed to stink... I'm not convinced ANYONE could properly deliver Alex Louis Armstrong's lines in English without looking bad compared to the original. That is SERIOUS talent and range for a voice actor, his Serious Mode and Lighthearted Idiot Mode are both executed perfectly, AND perfectly fit the character. But this level of 'perfect fit' is pretty rare in any language.

Yes, Samurai Pizza Cats was amazing. Never bothered looking up the sub though, just watched the American 'We Have No Translation, So We're Gonna Just Comment On What Seems To Be Happening' Edition, which is legitimately hilarious, on more than one level once you find out they did indeed BS the entire thing. And the guy singing the theme song is sloshed.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
  • NatenNaten Member Posts: 138

Some of the greatest animes of all time fall completely flat if watched in their dubbed versions, see Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and FLCL just to name a few.

I usually hate dubs but I found Cowboy Bebop and FLCL to be well done. So much going on in FLCL that you would miss alot if it was subbed (hidden images, crazy action) and I am a very fast reader. Another good dub that came to mind was Mushi-Ishi (2005-2006). For all these I have seen the sub versions as well and still enjoy the dub ones as much if not more.

Most dubs are terrible though I agree.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    It really depends on the show for me. I find some dubs to be vastly superior and vice versa.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    uh... guess I'm in the minority here!

This is funny, because literally on non-Orthodox Easter I went to dinner with my friend's family, and spoke to him and his girlfriend about this. They weren't as snobby as some other sub-lovers I've encountered (who look at me like I have three heads when I say I like dubs), but were still surprised. My girlfriend and I both prefer dubs.

1. Me no speaka Japanese! I speaka American English. I enjoy being able to understand the inflections and grasp the emotions of a character that is speaking. A lot of people who claim that the original has "better voice acting" are in my opinion, full of #@%& because they don't understand it in the first place, so they just take it at face value. For all practical purposes, I understand that if you don't understand the language this is the same thing, but for some reason whenever I say I prefer dubs people tend to be snobbish about the voice-acting.
    I honestly find characters more relatable when they are speaking in my tongue. Anime tends to over-melodramatic, but you still can understand a character's disposition better when you speak the same language.

2. I honestly haven't seen a poor dub of animes I've watched. To better understand Full List: Monster, Berserk, FMA Brotherhood, FMA, Gurren Lagann, Claymore, Death Note, Attack on Titan, Neon Genesis Evangelion (horrendous anime btw) and Yu Yu Hakusho. Has anyone watched these dubs and found them poor? I honestly have not had a problem with any of them.

3. Honestly, when it is an anime like Monster where it takes place in Eastern Europe, or Full Metal Alchemist where it takes place in fake-Germany, or the X-Men and Supernatural animes that take place in the States, all the characters speaking Japanese throws me off :/. This isn't an issue at all when the anime takes place in Japan like Death Note.

4. I don't like the censorship in Western adaptations or dubs, and I wish they didn't do that.

or maybe I'm lazy and don't want to read XD
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

I for one find most dub overs to be completely aberrant, they just weird me out.
    They mess up the tone of the show and it some cases the dubbed version will go so far as to remove elements of the show it does not deem family friendly or whatever. "see dubbed one piece, where Sanji doesn't smoke and nobody ever dies, making Nami's story line completely pointless"

Of course there are exceptions to the rule the only good dubs I can think of are DBZ, Samurai Pizza Cats and maybe Pokemon.

FYI: The censorship of the dubbed version is only in the TV release of the show, the DVD/Blu-ray/Hulu/Netflix versions of the dubs are the original uncensored content (you can check out One Piece on Hulu and see for yourself). Also I had no problem with the dubbed versions of Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, or FLCL.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Yeah, @Silverstar is right, @booinyoureyes . I'm not a native English speaker either and clearly understand the things our racoon mentioned.

Also, Russian dubs are usually awful.

When I watch an Anime, I listen to the Japanese that I want to learn and in the same time read the English that I want to impove.

Killing two birds with one stone,
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    ... no "neither" option...? Raw, unsubbed and in original audio for me. Working for a Japanese corporation has its perks; no need to clutter the screen with pointless translations for one.
    I find it deeply disturbing @booinyoureyes that you could say FMA is good dubbed compared to subbed. How much of a chance did you give the sub? Ed and Al both have very childish voices, even when Ed is a teen, and Al is... Al, with his very resonant body, which should be making his voice substantially less piercing. The Dub I gave a few chances sounded like shrieking children. TBH, I found most of the characters to have voices more fitting of their characters in the original, most notably the Strongarm Alchemist, who sounds as huge as he needs to, which the English voice definitely did not.

I also disagree that you can't appreciate the emotion and inflections of a character if you are reading a subtitle, but I DO admit that you need to be a very fast reader to still get the full experience, IE be able to effortless go 'Zen', reading without reading, to the point where you aren't even actively aware you're hearing a foreign language. This doesn't help me learn any new languages, but I am VERY bad at picking up new things, especially languages. Tried several languages, no luck at all, despite actually being interested in linguistics. Not sure if it's my close-minded nature or just my being dumber than a sack of hammers. But anyways, if you can read without any effort/awareness, you won't have any issues, but if reading the subs requires any effort at all, you're going to get much less out of the voice acting.

Not all dubs are bad, but not all subs are really good enough to let you enjoy a show or movie. If the timing is really bad, it can be harder to follow whats going on.
    edited April 2015
    DreadKhan said:

This doesn't help me learn any new languages, but I am VERY bad at picking up new things, especially languages. Tried several languages, no luck at all, despite actually being interested in linguistics. Not sure if it's my close-minded nature or just my being dumber than a sack of hammers. But anyways, if you can read without any effort/awareness, you won't have any issues, but if reading the subs requires any effort at all, you're going to get much less out of the voice acting.

What we're able to learn and how easily we learn it differs greatly from person to person. Language comprehension really isn't tied to being smart or dumb. There's plenty of people out there who are brilliant at say math, but have horrendous reading skills. Both are logical areas of knowledge that follows predictable "mechanics" and while you can be considered smart for excelling at one you can at the same time be viewed as dumb for being lousy at the other.

I'm quite good at languages, written and spoken, but I'm no good at all gaining knowledge from simply reading and I'm about as handy as a potato. I'd probably give a nail positive hit points by hammering it while somehow making it move backwards.
    Smarter people as a rule are better at picking things up quicker or even intuitively, unless they have a learning disability. Mind you, try defining 'smart'. :p Some people are good at specific fields while being pretty crummy at other ones, but in my limited world experience, most such people have to put more effort into certain fields to improve, and since other stuff is easier, they stick to what is easiest. This can be totally fine, if they happen to be working at an employable skill set.

Being close minded will usually result in reduced effort, or greatly reduced quality of effort put into new things. Close minded doesn't just mean you're a bigot/racist/judgmental turd, but it does make it more likely. I'm best at learning by reading I would wager, as I learn VERY poorly from mistakes, enough that it's a waste of my time to do 'trial and error' for most stuff. However, I can read a manual, and have a decent memory. I was clearly meant to go into trades, but since everyone else in my immediate family was smart, this wasn't really grasped, and many years were 'wasted' on pursuits leading nowhere. That said, I don't believe most things are a complete waste, you never know when you'll need a bit of something you picked up in a previous life, so to speak. I'm decently well read, which would be very useful in certain trades, especially as in my area, people good at reading or math were encouraged heavily to do anything BUT trades. I always wondered if Guidance Councilors REALLY want to have their brakes worked on by the dumbest person in the school, or a bridge built by the kid eating glue in the corner. :neutral: They might be capable, but I'd rather have someone smart doing work my life depends upon, you know?
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    DreadKhan said:

The Dub I gave a few chances sounded like shrieking children.

Well, Edward's age range goes from 12 to 16, and Al lost his body at 11, so...

So, yeah. They are shrieking children. -_-;;