Skip to content

Prom

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
Shot off an activity post, I think it might be worth a thread. image

So yeah for me it was better than I expected. Id been to homecoming twice before, which were both miserable experiences for me. School dances are bad and not liking popular music(at ALL) doesn't help. Anyway, the music was much quieter at prom, and everyone took it more seriously. At homecoming I saw things("dancing", apparently) I really didn't need to see. At prom, I didn't get flashed once. That's noteworthy, methinks. The dancing was confined to one corner of the room and the rest was set up with various fineries. Most of it was chairs and sofa-ish things.
I'm a sophomore, so I was there on a school newspaper pass, which made it more fun, I think. Especially the getting in free. At the very least it was a free meal. Sort of.
I was sick the Friday before, so I didn't get to grab a camera from school, but I arranged for another person who was going anyway to bring it to be. She didn't. I used my phone with pictures, which was better than nothing, but really not great. I took ~500 photos, about 20 of them are printable. Not a great selection. Also the entire senior class thinks I'm some kind of creeper now cause I was this kid no one really recognized running around prom taking pictures of people with my phone.
Whatever, they're gone in a month.

Wow, that turned out longer than I thought it would be. Anyway, what's your prom story? Did you go? Did you like it?
@Elrandir @wubble @CrevsDaak

Ps do they have prom in other countries besides the u.s? Is there an equivilant?

Comments

• YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I went to prom my junior and senior years with my at-the-time girlfriend. Hated it. Her friends sucked and my friends refused to go. Not sure why I made myself suffer it twice.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I went to a few dances, sometimes had fun, sometimes had a neutral time. I enjoy pop music just fine, and the present pop is better (...much slicker, better computer work, you can tell people have some forumla down pat for making songs at least a minor hit) than most of the dancey stuff was when I was in high school.

I didn't go to prom, but I had a huge after-party. That might still hold my personal record for most drunk I've ever been, 21 beers iirc, probably more than half occured in the last 3 hours. :wink: I literally couldn't move the next day, when I woke up in my driveway naked. Erm, which btw was about a mile as the crow flies, or much further if you walk on roads, as this was in the country-side. I lost a good shovel that day. Well, an 'okay' shovel, it wasn't that good really.

I never regretted not going to prom, and I have no clue why anyone WOULD regret not going. Seriously, it doesn't matter.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Prom isn't that big of a thing in the UK, My school organised a fairly nice prom apparently but it was 12 to a table and my group of friends was bigger than 12 so it would be first come first served for who actually got to sit with friends. I figured i'd get sat next to someone I didn't like (of which there were many) so I decided not to go, not worth the cash to book a place let alone rent a tux.
    joluv said:

DreadKhan said:

21 beers iirc

No one recalls 21 beers correctly.
    Well, it WAS one of 3 times I've blacked out. I wonder about food poisoning though, in hindsight. Long story. ;) It was too much beer for a 19 year old guy, especially how fast I drank them towards the end of the night (...a rather common mistake among 19 year old guys...).

My constitution may have improved with more years... I've put away 3 bottles of sherry before in a similar time frame (about 27 beers 5% beers) and was pretty much functional the next day, and definitely didn't black out. I doubt I'll bother exceeding that ever, I'm not getting any younger, and I can have a great night with half that much booze, if not 1/3. Well, 1/3 kinda runs a TAD short.
    I've only blacked out once (had some patchy memory other times but not a full on black out) I don't remember how much I drank that night but it involved a whole lot of vodka shots. Neat.

I spewed all over the kitchen floor and on my bed when I was asleep, honestly I was lucky I didn't choke in my sleep.

Not that I've learned my lesson ;)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I only went to my senior prom. With the boyfriend of currently six years. :blush: It was pretty fun. Our venue had a water view of a canal and lots of yummy treats to eat. We had dinner at a nearby Italian restaurant, but we didn't have a car, so we got to wander around Seattle in our prom outfits to and from. Even got a few compliments. :D

Can't really remember anything about the music except that our class was obsessed with Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'." When it finally played, everyone stopped what they were doing and hit the dance floor. We even sang along!

I would've had more fun if I hadn't been sick with a stupid coldsore on my lips (no smoochies with the sweetie that night :( ), but just the experience was enough. It was the last dance I ever went to in high school, and it was one of the last big hurrahs where I got to say goodbye to my classmates. Never saw the point in going multiple times (too much money, for one thing, and I wasn't a big fan of dances anyway), but I'm glad I went at least once.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I went to two other schools' proms, but never my own.
    Well, as a rule if I'm ever approaching 'way too drunk to be in public', I would head to bed, preferably with a locked door for protection. In my defence, beer affects me funny, I didn't know I had celiac when I was younger, so it hit really weird, way stronger than it should. I almost always have a complete memory of everything until I go and pass out in bed, which probably is a good thing. I don't recommend shots until you've figured out how much you should be consuming, it tends to lead to messy floors etc. ;)

For the record, underage drinking is very, very bad. Never did it myself, don't think others should either. Its not that long to wait, and your brain is STILL not finished at 21, so not need to rush. You've got lots of years to embarrass yourself. So don't embarrass yourself by showing up drunk for prom, which is totally not cool.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    As stated in the original activity post, I went to three proms. They all kind of sucked.

Year 1; Sophomore: As a homeschooler, I could have actually gone to four proms if I'd wanted to, but that didn't seem any fun, so I first went my sophomore year. I had broken up with my first girlfriend (mutual break-up, no hard feelings) in the fall of the prior year, so I didn't have anyone to go with. I figured, what the hey, I'll go by myself, chill with my guys, and have a ballin' time. Got this snazzy brown (my favourite colour) vest with gold paisleys on it and felt totally boss. Then, I get a message from my ex being like "Hey, my friend is public schooled and can't go, but she wants to. You don't have a date, you should take her!" I knew the girl, and I didn't really mind. She was cute. And after all, my pals all had dates, so why not me? First sign of a terrible night. Her dress was grey. My vest was brown. Those two don't go together at all. But, y'know, no big deal. So we go. We barely talk on the way there. Then we get there and she spends the whole night hanging out with my ex. I don't have an issue with this itself. I mean, after all, it's not like I'm avoiding my ex. Trouble is, no one there is really able to spend much time with me. My bros are hanging with their dates. My date is hanging with my ex and I just feel like a third wheel. So most of the night I'm sitting alone while watching people dance. Yay. Oh, and the girl I like (at this point in time) is my best friend's date. Because f*** me. =p The night just... Kind of sucked bigtime.

Year 2; Junior: So this was probably the best prom I went to. Even if I did go with a girl I knew didn't like me back. The food was good, the dancing was fun, I felt like I actually had friends, my date was fun, and I even wore my top hat. (Because yes. I own one) Although there was always that stinging pain in the heart from knowing my date was the girl I liked, but she didn't reciprocate my feelings.

Year 3; Senior: This one should have been incredible. I was going with my then-girlfriend, it was a masquerade prom (and I had one of the most ballin' masks ever), I had a white tux (because f*** yeah!), and afterwards we were all going bowling. Here's how it sucked a**: My girlfriend got laryngitis and couldn't talk to me. Her mom bi***ed like crazy at her because I was late (we decided to carpool for fun and it worked out like crap because my friends are slow a**es) and because we didn't "get enough photos". (partly because of the whole "my friends are slow a**es" thing) My girlfriend got sort of upset with me because I danced with my ex (the one who was my ex back in Prom Year 1) once. (which I can understand somewhat, but at the same time I tried so hard to understand a mute person for a whole night and I'm only a human without sign language on my side) Then, my girlfriend got a terrible headache so I had to take her home, didn't get to enjoy bowling with her, and missed half of bowling altogether.

So yeah, if I could go back, I'd suit up in a white tux like year 3 with that brown and gold vest from year 1, grab my best pals, and go stag. I'd tear up the dance floor, steal everybody's date for dances, then we'd all go out for cheap, delicious, greasy Waffle House and then bowl the night away. Ah well... In another life, perhaps.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2015
    My school didn't have a prom exactly, but we did have a grad dinner + after-grad (dance and drinks). I went 3 years in a row to the after grad. We were allowed to bring one "date", but I was single, so when I graduated I brought my best friend and drinking buddy who was a year younger than me. I went again the next year when my buddy was graduating, and again with him when his girlfriend graduated the following year. The last 2 times I just managed to find someone who was going to go stag to invite me. I pretty much just got wasted each time. Not terribly inspired, but a lot of fun nonetheless.

The thing is not everyone is 18 when they graduate (I wasn't), meaning that not everyone can legally drink, but it's a poorly kept secret that minors just get the 18 year olds to buy for them and all the adults turn a blind eye. The second year I went I was hauling for some friends, and there was this hilarious picture of me at last call with both arms laden with all manner of different drinks in an attempt to use up the drink tickets everyone had bought.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2015
    I went to prom with a bunch of friends. All I remember was that the food was awful (a friend of mine got food poisoning) and that the venue was in the middle of nowhere (I live in a city with over 2 million people in it and we probably drove past 20 banquet halls to get to this place).
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Never understood the whole 'get drunk till you black out' kind of thing. How is waking up remembering nothing of what you did or might have done the night before to be considered any sort of 'fun'?

And then after you wake up, you discover you made a random girl you had sex with pregnant or something....

Yeah, no.

Never understood the whole 'get drunk till you black out' kind of thing. How is waking up remembering nothing of what you did or might have done the night before to be considered any sort of 'fun'?

And then after you wake up, you discover you made a random girl you had sex with pregnant or something....

Yeah, no.

Condom
    edited April 2015

Yeah, no.

It helps if you're celibate, but I agree, blackout type drinking isn't fun, and the morning after usually sucks unless you somehow drank a gallon of water before passing out, AND have something to smooth out the morning that isn't hard on your liver (IE most easy to get painkillers are really brutal on the liver). I don't know why some people like drinking to the throw-up stage, let alone past it. Wasteful! Not that I've never been sick, its just not a normal aspect. Its irresponsible. Frankly, the average person is probably fine with 3-6 beers.

The worst is if you're not a strictly happy person, then drinking can bring out lots of nastiness. Nobody likes a swamp donkey. :p
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    pr0m
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited April 2015
    I went to prom as many times as I went to Cuba, which is zero times.

No offense meant to Cuba.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I once went to a party a friend of mine made because of her birthday. The food wasn't of my liking. Totally disappointed 1/5 would not recommend.
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    I had the most magnificent dress ever for grad. It was bright teal satin, strapless, ruched all the way down and flared at the bottom with silver sequins all along the bust. Also, detached matching sleeves. I looked like a mermaid. I should drum up a picture. My hair was about 17 feet tall. I *loved* that dress.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

I had the most magnificent dress ever for grad. It was bright teal satin, strapless, ruched all the way down and flared at the bottom with silver sequins all along the bust. Also, detached matching sleeves. I looked like a mermaid. I should drum up a picture. My hair was about 17 feet tall. I *loved* that dress.

I have to say there were a lot of girls in very nice dresses, and when I say nice I don't mean expensive, I mean they actually looked good. I knew everyone tried to clean up, but at homecoming there was more cleavage than there was taste. I was surprised to see actual nice dresses rather than an assortment of strategically placed holes.
    @meagloth doesn't like sexy? My view is if its not breaking any laws or the dress code, and the individual is comfortable it is acceptable. After that, it boils down to 'is this look intrinsically aesthetically appealing/interesting', and 'is this a flattering look on this specific individual'.

For example, well fitted tight pants tend to be quite flattering to heavier women, much moreso than loose ones which not only invoke the zero-confidence 'I wear a mumu because I'm so fat I hate shopping and drapes seemed to fit', but make any individual look even bulkier, which is usually the last thing a heavier woman/girl would want I think. I think really tight pants don't work as well on very thin women, unless they have more than average muscle to help provide some shape. Mind you, I feel comfortable wearing several different colours/types of leather in the same outfit, so perhaps I ought to be silent on fashion! I have a low budget though, so I have an excuse. Ish.
    DreadKhan said:

@meagloth doesn't like sexy?

Hehe, I guess I have an interesting definition of sexy,(as usual, I'm probably thinking about it to hard) but that's not what I meant. I think a lot of the time in... Pop culture, I guess, "short" or "revealing" is substituted for "actually looking good." I guess you can't really blame them though. Sex sells. Really well.
    [spoiler=oh boy. That got long fast]
    As a not-woman I will try to tread lighty here, but as usuall I have an unfortunately strong and conflict-inciting opinion.

Example:
    I don't know about other places, but around here women have taken to wearing just leggings/yoga pants as pants. I'm not gonna go around telling people what to wear, but I can tell you I would not be wearing leggings if I was a girl. I just don't like the way they look, or the image they give off.
    Firstly, they look like you didn't finish dressing. They don't look like Real clothes.
    Second, I need my pockets. I'm not about to keep a phone, iPad, multitool, headphones, a wallet, an assortment of pens and god knows what else I happen to have in my pockets in the lining of my underwear. I guess women get purses but walking down the hallway at school you just see all girls shoving phones down the front of their pants, which is a *little* awkward, and don't even ask about why some of the have one rectangular boob:P.
    But frankly, getting into the more... flamey stuff, sometimes I just think it an issue of "if you didn't want me staring at that then you wouldn't be putting it on display." That is probably politically incorrect somehow but there you go.
    I just don't like the image it would put out(in the hypothetical context of me being female) on a bunch of different levels.
    There's a bunch of other stuff I have to say but that would just devolve into an (even more) incoherent rant that would get (even more) people mad at me. [/spoiler]

Now that that's out of the way @DreadKhan I didn't say they where sexy, I said they looked good. I'd like to think I'm able to separate beauty and sexy appeal, even at my demographic.

Well, I meant 'sexy' as in 'appealing sensuality' as opposed to being dressed beautifully in the sense that an overly baroque hoop dress is beautiful. You can have a beautiful dress that is pure art, or pure sexy, or a mix I would say, and many people have a maximum amount of art or sexy they can tolerate in an outfit before they think something looks 'too much'. Someone can look good and be dressed very sexy, and the same person can look good dressed very artfully, but revealing very little. The biggest problem I notice is that some women aren't comfortable with what they are wearing, especially on the sexier end of the spectrum, which means they will not look very good, despite the outfit being nice and flattering. People who aren't comfortable in their own skin make other people edgy. This translates into them not looking good in person, even if they might photograph well in a given outfit.

Yoga pants are a very touchy area I think, because like it or not, they are not universally flattering, though the better made ones usually are much more flattering, and cheaper ones (or old fashioned leggings, which have little spandex/lycra) tend to be VERY picky for who can wear them. You either look great in a pair of cheap leggings, or you look absolutely awful I find, there isn't much of a middle ground. Really good supportive yoga pants though can be worn by way more body types. Good looking doesn't equal appropriately dressed though I agree, and yoga pants are, despite being expensive, not very dressy. I would say anywhere you could wear short shorts reasonably you can wear yoga pants. Yoga pants are dressier than most mini-skirts though, but I really don't dig the whole legging with a skirt thing, just wear jeans already. :p

Your point about where to put your phone is a good one though, and I think could fall under the heading of 'is the person actually comfortable in the outfit', and as a result, they look silly.

There is a difference between objectively looking good and subjectively looking good I think. Objective is style, subjective ends up being a mashup of trendiness, personal appeal (IE better looking people can get away with WAY more outfits) and preference of the observer (IE if you like a particular colour or cut of dress, for example). I see 'sexy' as a fairly objective term when used to classify an outfit; a tight dress with cutout sides and a deep slit for the leg is 'sexy', even if you or I might personally think its 'too much' and thus is trashy.

...I'm way too interested in fashion I think, but I see it as a very interesting application of Philosophy, mixed with varying amounts of art, depending on how high of fashion we're talking. PROBABLY doesn't hurt that most models are very aesthetically beautiful/interesting to look at, though depending on the company they are about as diverse as the Third Reich. Which is disappointing, because fashion is big on eclecticism.

I'm not sure if we've gone off topic at all though, seeing as this is a thread about Prom, and Prom is for girls to dress up at iirc. Most boys don't have the wherewithal to really understand or care about dressing well, though you can find exceptions, but I'd say not enough to offset the sheer glee that some girls have regarding Prom.
    DreadKhan said:

W Yoga pants are dressier than most mini-skirts though, but I really don't dig the whole legging with a skirt thing, just wear jeans already. :p

I actually like skits a lot. I think it's some odd combination of thinking Scotland is super badass and growing up playing BG, where all the cool dudes wear dresses. (See: sorcerers)
    Sorry for the double post I accidentally clicked post comment, I'm on mobile.
    DreadKhan said:

...I'm way too interested in fashion I think, but I see it as a very interesting application of Philosophy, mixed with varying amounts of art, depending on how high of fashion we're talking. PROBABLY doesn't hurt that most models are very aesthetically beautiful/interesting to look at, though depending on the company they are about as diverse as the Third Reich. Which is disappointing, because fashion is big on eclecticism.

I think there's a lot to be dissected out of fashion, in regards to communities and individuals. Fashion is what you look like, and what you look like is your first message to the outside world of who you are. You can get a lot from that.
    DreadKhan said:

I'm not sure if we've gone off topic at all though, seeing as this is a thread about Prom, and Prom is for girls to dress up at iirc. Most boys don't have the wherewithal to really understand or care about dressing well, though you can find exceptions, but I'd say not enough to offset the sheer glee that some girls have regarding Prom.

The thread will wander wherever it wishes.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    I only asked one girl out to prom. It took me about a week to gather the courage. It went something like this.
    4 hours of anticipation, 25 seconds of complete awkwardness when she told me she was gay, and a solid month of humiliation.