Skip to content

[MOD] Afaaq, the Djinni Companion for BG2 and BG2:EE released

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    To trigger the right dialog portion with the duergar merchant you have to place the djinni lamp into the inventory of Charname. It's currently inside a container in Viconia's inventory. After the conversation it should be possible to enter a new area. Entrance can be found behind the duergars.

Btw, it looks like you have already solved a good portion of the quest in a specific way (by invading House Arabani), so you can only finish the quest in a violent way. Be prepared for a tough fight.
  • VeskoVesko Member Posts: 28
    edited November 2017
    Freakin hell that cant be! such a silly reason... thx the dialogue option appeared and i can now enter that area behind them! Youre a great help! :-D Off to power up that genie!

Edit: wait what... i cleaned up that cave. Is that all? he asked for house insignia, as i cleared it already i just gave it to him, killed em all and cleaned rest of cave. Nothing else to do here or im missing smtn?
    Post edited by Vesko on
    edited November 2017
    Yes, that's basically it. Since you've already slaughtered House Arabani, there was only one outcome left (pretty much a failsafe option to complete the quest in a valid state).

The full quest gives you a bunch of different options how to solve it:
    which includes several layers of betrayal and a nice battle between two Houses where you could choose to help out either side (or simply watch the slaughter and deal with the result).

In any case, the main point of the quest is to get an item that allows Afaaq to be freed from the lamp at a later point (Afaaq's Soulcage - or Soulcage collection if you looted it from Tathas Melarn's body).

Vesko
  • VeskoVesko Member Posts: 28
    so just to keep it safe could you pm me which item that is?(in case you dont want it public) do i already have it?
    I have updated the spoiler text in my previous post.
  • BolkoBolko Member Posts: 15
    Hello i am writing to guys because i want to get Djinni back , i visited slums and Rakshasa have appeared and they took my Djinni. i used Jade Orb to teleport to them, then killed all monsters, did quest with snake like statue with 3 riddles and did quest with stone statues and i have 2 yuan ti wardstones and what i can do with them now?
  • BolkoBolko Member Posts: 15
    Ok nevermind , i solved the problem, didnt check all the cointainers:):D
    argent77
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    So I am using this mod in IWD, and when I select Afaaq he will occasionally have his laugh, but he will also occasionally make some high pitched popping, as if a damaged sound file or something is being accessed. Has anyone else had this issue before?
    edited March 2018
    Afaaq has two selection sounds, the infamous djinni laugh and a silent clip. It might be that the silent clip is damaged in your installation. You could try to check the file with NI. It's called A7SLNT_S.WAV.
  • chinovampirochinovampiro Member Posts: 8
    Will this work on an iOS iphone?

Will this work on an iOS iphone?

Good question. The mod installation is similar to other mods, without doing exotic or platform-specific stuff. So if you can make other mods running on iOS, you shouldn't have trouble with this mod either.

You could ask in the iOS related topic for more information.
  • egbertegbert Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2018
    @argent77 I tried to install Afaaq (full) to the new BG2-version. It failed. (DEBUG attached)
    The light version seems to run ok.

I had no problems with the old (non-beta) version.
    @egbert It's a shot in the dark, but it might be caused by an ambiguous pattern match while expanding a script. Could you unpack the attached file into the "DjinniCompanion\lib" subfolder, replacing the original file, and try again?
    argent77 said:

@egbert It's a shot in the dark, but it might be caused by an ambiguous pattern match while expanding a script. Could you unpack the attached file into the "DjinniCompanion\lib" subfolder, replacing the original file, and try again?

Seemed you solved the problem. With the new file it installed.
    Thanks!
    Good to know. But just in case, you should keep an eye out whether the djinni cutscene triggers correctly, when you enter the smugger cave in Amkethran.
    Sorry to tell you but there are other Problems,too.

After installing Afaaq (full) I was no longer able to start BG2:EE.
    Uninstalling and changing to the original file didn't help.

Only after renaming OVERWRITE I was able to Restart BG2:EE again.

edited July 2018
    This mod doesn't make any changes to the starting dungeon. And the fix in the attached script file above does only affect a local script in the Amkethran smuggler cave.

It could be a compatibility issue with another mod. The previous installation error suggests some unexpected changes in relevant scripts. Could you also post your WeiDU.log?
    Cahir
    I use only 2 mods which may change the start:
    Your new Hidden-Game-Options and new SkipChateau.

Maybe you use a filename in OVERWRITE more than once?

Files no longer exist: I'm reinstalling.

edited August 2018
    egbert said:

@argent77 I tried to install Afaaq (full) to the new BG2-version. It failed. (DEBUG attached)
    The light version seems to run ok.

I had no problems with the old (non-beta) version.

@argent77 @LavaDelVortel

The incompatibilty? is with PETSY v3.1 (EE-Version). It's new to v2.5.

Any ideas how to use both mods?
    TIA
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    Hi, first of all thanks for this amazing mod. After 2.5 update it finally works on Android version of the game like charm :+1: However I run into little problem - I have trouble getting access into pool in Smugglers cave in ToB.
    Game telling me, that the pool is too hot. Commoners in Amkethran didn't say anything special to my Charname and when I try to talk to them through Afaaq, adults say something like "you are the mightiest of the mighty", and starts act strange, like if they are hasted. Children in Amkethran say only some friendly phrases to Afaaq.
    Could you please give me a little help what to do? (I also tried use protection from fire to my NPCs, but it didn't help either)
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Question: apart from the evil path with the genie, did you add any reward that makes truly worthwhile to play as an Evil guy? :D
    @egbert What exactly doesn't work? Can you provide instructions how to reproduce the issues? The content of your WeiDU.log would also be helpful.

@Caszidy Talking to the townsfolk with your party members should trigger rumors that point to two potential options how to get protection from the heat. You could also try talking to the barkeeper or the smugglers.

About the conditions to trigger these lines, did you have the conversation with the djinnis in the smuggler cave and have they asked for your help? I don't know how difficult it is to use the console on Android, but if you can use it, please tell me the result of this command:
    C:GetGlobal("A7Quest5","GLOBAL")
    If that's not possible, can you attach your current save?

@Arthas There isn't much benefit in choosing the evil path. There is the evil choice in hell and a few additional options in a future quest that you can only take as an evil guy. But they aren't necessarily better than the non-evil choices. (Although one of them results in a different quest reward.)
    argent77 said:

@egbert What exactly doesn't work? Can you provide instructions how to reproduce the issues? The content of your WeiDU.log would also be helpful.

@argent77

I had Petsy installed first (without any problems).
    Trying in to install the full version of Afaaq was rejected, the light version installed without any problems.
    Before you sent me a patched file for Afaaq, which allowed me to install the full version but after that the game crashed at the try to start it. Only "solution" was renaming the override dir.
    All the mods run fine in the latest non-beta version for 2.5.
    edited August 2018
    Installation order is not correct. "Skip Chateau Irenicus" component "Deal with skipped NPCs" has to be installed after Yasraena NPC.

I'll try to reproduce your current mod setup to see if there are more issues.

Update: I was able to install all the mods mentioned in your weidu.log without issues. The game ran perfectly fine as well. However, I've used more recent versions for Hidden Gameplay Options (2.1), Alora (1.6) and Isra (3.0).

Regarding general mod order, I would recommend to install NPC mods first, followed by content or tweak mods (incl. Skip Chateau Irenicus), followed by UI mods.
    @argent77

The mods in my Weidulog run fine.
    I had my problems with Petsy v3.1.

Where can I find Alora v1.6 and Isra? And maybe a newer Petsy?
    All my links are dead.

TIA
    Installing Petsy on top of it (but before Djinni Companion) didn't cause me any trouble either.

Download locations for latest
    - Alora: https://github.com/BiGWorldProject/AloraNPC/archive/master.zip
    - Isra (BG2): http://www.shsforums.net/files/download/1070-isra-bg2-pc/
    argent77 said:

@Caszidy Talking to the townsfolk with your party members should trigger rumors that point to two potential options how to get protection from the heat. You could also try talking to the barkeeper or the smugglers.

About the conditions to trigger these lines, did you have the conversation with the djinnis in the smuggler cave and have they asked for your help? I don't know how difficult it is to use the console on Android, but if you can use it, please tell me the result of this command:
    C:GetGlobal("A7Quest5","GLOBAL")
    If that's not possible, can you attach your current save?

Ok, this looks bad since I have absolutely no Djinnis in that cave :(
    After I read posts in this thread I also realize, that I stil have un-upgraded Afaaq since in my game the Djinni in Hell trial tells only one sentence and didn't react with Afaaq with correct way :o I guess this could be related to the fact, that I have no Djinnis in that cave - that quest cannot start since I have "basic" Afaaq?
    Yeah, having Afaaq upgraded during the hell trials is one of the requirements. If you have a save from before entering the smuggler cave for the first time, I could try to fix it.
    No, unfortunatelly not have it. Nevermind, I will try it with my next playthrough, since this mod is a must for every playthrough now! :+1:
    Neverthless thanks for your help and for this amazing piece of work :+1:
    argent77 said:

Installing Petsy on top of it (but before Djinni Companion) didn't cause me any trouble either.

Download locations for latest
    - Alora: https://github.com/BiGWorldProject/AloraNPC/archive/master.zip
    - Isra (BG2): http://www.shsforums.net/files/download/1070-isra-bg2-pc/

All mods actual now… and all seems to run fine!
    THX