Skip to content

Keeping Khalid Company (Spoilers)

proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
Hi, folks. This will be a continuation of the adventures of Pollie, half-elven mage/thief. You can find the first chapters of her story here:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/39574/keeping-gorion-company-spoilers/p1

For this run of BG2EE (including ToB) I'll be playing minimal reload (only reloading if Pollie dies, or if I'm just monkeying around/experimenting and things go south) with resurrection available only for Imoen (see part one for the reason). And core rules, except for the occasional scribing of rare scrolls. I reserve the right to change the rules at any time, if I start running out of NPC's too quickly ;). I'm not going to try to document every bit of the game in any sort of detail, just the highlights...

Ok, so here we go.

Pollie, fresh from her post-Sarevok-defeating escapades, awakes to find herself caged in an unfamiliar place. At least Imoen's familiar face is here to greet her. after exchanging pleasantries, they discover that Jaheira and Minsc are also caged up in the same chamber. Quite a surprise, seeing as only a couple of months ago they were lying dead in a field not far from Candlekeep. Strange.
After a bit of taunting, Minsc breaks free from his cage, and a little poking around turns up the key for Jaheira's cage. The gang is (partially) back together again! Minsc tells Pollie of the death of Dynaheir. Ollie os doubly surprised at this news, seeing as the last she knew, Danaher was also lying in that field.
Well, nothing to do but to see about finding a way out of this place. It sure is creepy with all the half-dead people in oversized jars, and whoever owns it needs to find a new exterminator. Goblins are everywhere. Nasty little critters.
They make their way through the first level, offering help to a genie in a bottle (getting a sweet staff in exchange), and agreeing to lug around a bunch of acorns for some dryads (they could have at least offered a small sack to carry their nuts in. those acorns keep falling on the floor tripping up Minsc, and little Boo keeps trying to nibble at them. But a promise is a promise).
Moving on to the second level, they are greeted by a fine young gentleman name Yoshimo. He has a funny way of speaking, but seems like a pretty trustworthy guy. Plus, a little extra help is always welcome. The mysteries of this dungeon are made deeper by an encounter with a clone with a bad attitude.
While passing through one chamber, Jaheira finds the body of her husband, Khalid. He seems to have been recently killed (again, very surprising. Yep, he too was left dead in a field months ago). Pollie makes the executive decision that leaving his body there in the dungeon is just wrong. So onto Minsc's back he goes, and off the party goes.
(Side note: it took me a minute to figure out how to actually bring Khalid along with he party, but I wound up exporting Khalid from BG1 to a character file, and then importing him into a MP game in BG2, then immediately killed him. Originally I wanted to actually make Minsc lug his body around, but was unable to find an item file for his body. I could have used Anomen's body, but it wouldn't have been the same, and I was afraid of glitches with Anomen meeting his own dead body later on).
The group make their way out of the dungeon without any real difficulty. Emerging into the daylight, they find themselves in the middle of a battle between some thieves and a Mage of obvious power. Imoen loses her $#!% and unloads some magic missiles at the mage. The air around them crackles and they are surrounded by a group of grey robe wearing wizards. The head honcho wizard says something about unsanctioned magic, blah blah blah. Irenicus finally throws his hands up in disgust and let's the Wizards take him, but only if the also take Imoen as well. Real nice, jerk. The two are ensorcelled off to who knows where, and this is where the party find themselves. Standing in a heap of rubble in a strange city,no friends, hardly any money, and man could they use a beer right about now. But at least the weather is fantastic!
First things first, though, they need to find a good place to drop this rotting corpse Minsc is lugging around on his back...

Comments

• adragon87adragon87 Member Posts: 19
    The Graveyard district comes to mind, but maybe too obvious...
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I've been debating where to start dumping bodies. I'll know it when I see it...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Dump them in one of the catacombs in the graveyard... nobody will ever know :)
    I'm thinking the roof of the Copper Coronet :innocent:
    I think around the fountain in Trademeet would be hilarious. What a magnificent site, statues of the heroes of Trademeet around a majestic fountain. Rotting corpses strewn about would just add to the ambiance.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Liking because there is no LUVV button! POLLIE FOR PREZIDENT!
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Or next to ajantis. Keeping them all together. And you could bring dynaheir to the future resting place as well.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Vatchers Kip. Vatchers Kip. Vatchers Kip. Yip yip yip.
    Damn. I spend too much time with kobolds.
    doggy said:

Or next to ajantis. Keeping them all together. And you could bring dynaheir to the future resting place as well.

Dynaheir was nowhere to be found, sadly.
    God said:

I am thinking Watchers Keep is going to be my best bet, so I can access it in ToB without having to move everyone.
    procco said:

doggy said:

Dynaheir was nowhere to be found, sadly.
    God said:

I am thinking Watchers Keep is going to be my best bet, so I can access it in ToB without having to move everyone.
    Yeah, I didn't think about ToB with my suggestion. Watcher's Keep is really your only choice. Will the bodies still be there when you switch games though?
    Only one way to find out...
    The bards sing a dirge ♪ for the fallen ♫ companions of Pollie!
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    This... this is wrong.

And yet I'm snickering behind my monitor. Hahahahahahahaha!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    "It will be done" says Pollie. Does she mean laying scores of former companions to rest there? Or won't she be able to find that many companions? Ooh, she's a devious one, that Pollie.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    @bengoshi I'm sorry you feel that way, Old Man...
    So, I'm just getting my footing in the game and have had multiple party wipes already. I'm going to give it a little time but may wind up instituting a three strikes rule adjustment (2 resurrections allowed per character before they are dead for good). I've played thought the game one time before but on normal rules. Core rules are pretty challenging for me... Poor Pollie died repeatedly to Dragomir before giving him what he had coming.
    Honestly, that makes me feel better about my playthrough. I've played RPGs for 15+ years, but I've never played DnD before (no one else was quite my level of nerd...), and coming on here is a bit like a goldfish jumping from a bag of water into an ocean where you realize there are much nerdier/geekier/hardcore(ier?) players and for once you really are the "casual" in the room. >.>

It's a strange feeling.

All that aside, I really am looking forward to your next post for this, and lost a couple hours of my day yesterday reading "Company for Gorion" as well. I really like your sense of humor and how you somehow balance a party of sometimes opposing alignments with your need of meatshields-- err, company. Yes, [i]company[/i]. The non-lethal kind. <.<
    Gotta admit, I actually smiled when I saw that you posted here again. I'm looking forwards to these posts. Not as descriptive as your previous posts, but I've lost notes myself so I can't blame you in the least. XD I got confused with the bird though-- was that Montaron at all?? I didn't play BGII (yet), so I have no idea. All the same, I giggled and chortled as Pollie recklessly sacrifices allied life/limb for profit, even if I'm surprised she does any light-sided things at all (She helped an orphan? Pollie? Was she under the control of a Helm priest?).

I'm looking forward to seeing how Anomen fits in with the random insanity that constitutes Pollie's decision-making skills. >:D
    edited May 2015
    @Brer_Rabbit Glad you're enjoying! This game is so damn dense it'll be hard to get too descriptive without writing a novel every few days! The bird was a ruse by the Harpers to get at Xzar. I think th real Montaron is still resting near Candlekeep. I'm playing Pollie as an increasingly complex character. She's at heart pretty easy going, but the rigors of the road and all the death around her are definitely taking their toll. Not to mention, the blood of Bhaal is beginning to have it's pull on her as well. Will she succumb to her heritage? Time will tell....
    p.s. if you haven't played BGII yet, I STRONGLY recommend reading no further. There are some surprises that are best discovered on your own.
    I've run into a few spoilers on my own, but between BG I and some other cool stuff coming up I'll forgot 90% of it before I even buy BG II (I'm going one game at a time, but I know I'm going to go through BG I at least twice. XD).

I.E., I won't stop and YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!! :D
    haha! carry on, then.
    In case anyone is interested, I am putting my BGII play through on a bit of a hiatus. I usually only play on my iPad on my lengthy commute, and there's a couple of other games I want to play through before I get back to BGII. Pollie will return soon, though...
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Of course I'm interested. We'll hear about Pollie's adventures later then.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Yes Khalid needs company in the afterlife. We will wait for Pollie
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Damn it! I was looking forward for more of Pollies adventures! You write in a very comedic way and I enjoy your story immensely.
    edited December 2015
    I think I might have to get back to this playthrough very soon. I've been taking a break from the IE games to play some of the other stuff in my game library (damn you Steam and GOG sales!). Stay tuned...
    edit: it's been quite a while since I left off, so I may need to start over.
    I tried picking up where I left off and am so out of practice it was an immediate disaster. I'll start over with my save just having left Irenicus' dungeon and start a new thread.