Skip to content

Why Minsc will ALWAYS be in my party:

Swords, for EVERYONE!
On play-through number 1,3013, I've realized that regardless of what Character I've created, what change-ups I've made to party construction (good or evil) there is one constant to my play, the Rashemon with a rodent, the Ranger who loves danger, that big galoot who loves to loot, you know him, you love him, MINSC!!!!
(crowd goes South Korean at a Starcraft convention).

Just, ya know, he's THE DUDE. He's the cement that makes the game for me, what it is.
Sometimes Dynaheir stays in the group, other times (sniff) she gets lost in the woods and murdered by Tasloi ( we console Minsc as best we can, he doesn't stay too despondent for long though ( cold-hearted bastich...).

Minsc is my go to guy for ranged, my up close and in yer face pokey stick, my light hearted banter, my reasoning when things turn bleak, my focus as to WHY THE HELL I'M DOING THIS ( ya know, the whole save the world thing).

I honestly have tried, twice, to play without Minsc in my party. Didn't last long. Something, wasn't at first sure what it was but something, was missing. Went back, got Minsc, all was right with the world.

He's my idiot kid brother, my slow witted friend in the fox-hole, my based in reality ( screw the platitudes) confidant. He's the guy that brings me down to earth when this whole god-thing gets overwhelming. He has a moral code that I would lovingly adopt, destroy evil, damn the repercussions.

In BG2 I also ensure my brother in arms in with me. Yes, many occasions I'll take my evil step-brother along but I'll drop a 2nd Mage before I'll drop Minsc.

Dunno, it's just not BG without the big DP ( and Minsc is the definition of displaced...)

M2c

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I hate Minsc and never have him in my party. One of my favorite things to do is tell him I won't help him so he attacks me, then I backstab him into tiny chunks. To me, he is a bully who thinks that it's justified to kill someone just because they exercise their prerogative to not help him.
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    Awww, that is so sweet of you.
    I love your simplistic solution to someone who angers you for apparently being a bully... I chunk that ass$%#@!
    I might have thought the simpler answer would be ' I don't talk to him".
    Maybe that's just me....
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I am also a diehard mins fan. I haven't been able to play a full game without him either, although he comes and goes. If it wasn't for him, I would be stepping in evil around every corner. I think his buttkicking is one of the things that makes this game so unique and ageless. That and the high development of other characters, such as viconia and edwin. I don't think there will ever be a game quite like baldur's gate.
  • GreenWyvernGreenWyvern Member Posts: 247
    Currently doing my first BGII:EE run, and my lover and I have Minsc in the party, so I can see what the fuss is about... but I'm not really seeing it... true, I do enjoy his character as a whole, and occasionally imitate him for humorous effect, but his actual dialogue hasn't hit anything with me, especially when compared to the other NPC we have on our team: Jan Jansen.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    I had to delete one time when I didn't wanted to help him rescue dynaheir and therefore had to kill him. I just can't do that. If I don't want to bring him I never talk to him and pretend he doesn't exist. He is Lenny from mice and men. I just can't finish him off. And in good playthroughs I almost always bring him along.

Well I guess I am just a big fan who should have a minsc poster on the wall
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166

Currently doing my first BGII:EE run, and my lover and I have Minsc in the party, so I can see what the fuss is about... but I'm not really seeing it... true, I do enjoy his character as a whole, and occasionally imitate him for humorous effect, but his actual dialogue hasn't hit anything with me, especially when compared to the other NPC we have on our team: Jan Jansen.

As you have larger parties, particularly in BG2 you get some random bits of banter between him and other characters that's really great. There's a huge bit of dialogue in the underdark where he throws out one of the best one-liners in video game history.

Really a lot of the back and forth between different NPC pairs is what makes this game so special and keeps the high replay value.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I love Minsc. He's also the chunk-er of the party when I'm not a melee type (I haven't had any other NPC as devastating as he in combat, though Kivan's pretty good). One day, I'll put up with Shar-Teel-Heel whatever, but, until then, the only contests are the weak Ajantis and the weaker Kagain.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2015
    I love him better in bg2, chaotic good sure suits him better, and the crazier he gets, the funnier and more awesome he is!
    He is awesome! As long as his berserk doesn't run out of control and he chases my pc with a big sharp sword, foaming on the mouth. But everybody has its little flaws. ^^
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I very much wonder what new lines by Minsc we will get in the Adventure Y.

It feels almost unreal to think that we actually can get new phrases that are as awesome as his "You point, I punch" and "Butt-kickin' for goodness!"
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Hmm, well, I quite like Minsc, some of my Good- and Neutral-aligned parties take him along. However, I use him more often in BG2ee than in BG1ee.

In BG1ee, his pairing with Dynaheir means that I won't take him unless I want both of them. I've no objection to Dynaheir, but usually I've got some other Mage(s) I want to take instead of her, so therefore I don't include Minsc either. (Yes, I know how to break up a character-pair, but on RP grounds my Good protagonists don't generally like such tactics, and my Evil protagonists don't generally want Good companions.) Nevertheless, my current BG1ee run is a canon party, so I've got both Minsc and Dynaheir.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Count me in, I've never played the game and not had Minsc in my party. Same with BG2. Hearing Boo's little squeek now and then adds to his character as well. Imoen's a constant as well. It's kind of like having a little sister tagging along.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I like Minsc. But I find that he absorbs damage to quickly for me to love him. But I can keep him in my party if I wanted too.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I assumed you had to take him because there was ever so much of Boo to search...

He's a giant hamster, right?
  • ikonomovikonomov Member Posts: 13
    He's lots of fun, and having him along in a good aligned party makes everything so... righteous! In BG1 in terms of melee power he's second best only to Dorn considering how easy it is to get Gauntlets of Dexterity. In BG2 things change considerably because of the numerous items that boost Strength. With the right items a case can be made that he eventually falls behind in power to every single fighter in the game including Jaheira, because she can cast Iron skins on herself.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    My group has so far had no place for him in either BG1 or SoA. OK, he's there at the start of SoA so I take him along for a while, but he gets dumped ASAP.

Now, I'm just starting a run through where my core group will be the first 5 NPCs I run across. I'll only swap them out one at a time in order to rotate in a different NPC for their quest purposes. So, I'm sort of stuck with Minsc, Aerie, Jaheira, Yoshimo and Imoen. OK, since Imoen vanishes at the end of Chapter 1, she will be replaced temporarily by Nalia, whom I refer to as "Imoen light". Nalia can actually function as a thief if you give her the rings of trap detection and lockpicking, boots of stealth, cloak of non-detection and the occasional potion of master thievery.

I must say, I am having serious doubts how far this group can get. Aerie is my only cleric, for example; being dual classed she will never get to the higher levels of either profession, nor will I have any specialty mages. And Minsc and Jaheira as my front line melee fighters? Gonna be tricky.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I like Minsc I really do, but I always find myself in a position where I just don't have space for him. I actually had to force myself to keep him through all of bg1 on my last playthrough, still haven't managed to keep him through all of bg2. Also when I do use him I tend to eekeeper him into barb, because well he just no a good ranger. If i wanted a ranger in bg1, I would pick up Kivan and I would always pick up Vally in bg2, because he is just so much more versatile than Minsc.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607

I love Minsc. He's also the chunk-er of the party when I'm not a melee type (I haven't had any other NPC as devastating as he in combat, though Kivan's pretty good). One day, I'll put up with Shar-Teel-Heel whatever, but, until then, the only contests are the weak Ajantis and the weaker Kagain.

I guess you've never tried Dorn before. He is much stronger than minsc and comes stock with basically a +2 sword... he makes Minsc look like a little girl.

That said, I do enjoy having Minsc around (especially in BG2) but I do realize he isn't all that great as an NPC mechanically.
    edited May 2015
    The problem with Dorn is that he is evil as Hell; and if you take up with him in BG2, his quest will earn you the eternal enmity of the Order of the Radiant Heart. Yeah, he's THAT evil. Mind you, you can certainly put together a decent evil party, if you are into that sort of thing. This is especially true in SoA. Dorn, Edwin, Viconia, Korgan and Hexxat/Yoshimo rival any good party you can string together. Roll yourself up a fighter/mage or a blade kitted bard and you have a killer group.

Minsc is good in BG1 but falls behind a decent warrior kit in BG2 as a front line fighter. The inability to put more than 2 pips into weapon slots hurts. Even Jaheira outperforms him eventually, due to her IronSkin ability. Get yourself a berserker in SoA and put 5 pips into two handed swords or halberds, and another 2 into two handed weapon style and then compare damage potential. Or better yet, put 5 pips into longswords and 3 into two weapon style and dual wield. Minsc can dual wield also but the lesser weapon proficiency still hurts.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited May 2015
    FrdNwsm said:

Minsc is good in BG1 but falls behind a decent warrior kit in BG2 as a front line fighter. The inability to put more than 2 pips into weapon slots hurts. Even Jaheira outperforms him eventually, due to her IronSkin ability. Get yourself a berserker in SoA and put 5 pips into two handed swords or halberds, and another 2 into two handed weapon style and then compare damage potential. Or better yet, put 5 pips into longswords and 3 into two weapon style and dual wield. Minsc can dual wield also but the lesser weapon proficiency still hurts.

I don't follow. First you compare damage and chunking (Minsc vs Fighter kits), then you turn and talk about survivability (Jaheira's stoneskins vs Minsc), and lastly you compare Minsc vs a CHARNAME 'zerker with GM?

Which fighter kit NPC are you comparing Minsc to? There really is only Korgan and Mazzy, that is comparable right? And Mazzy isn't even a kit (although she has her given abilities).

And comparing any NPC to a charname is pointless, since a charname always has potential to be much better than any NPC (except Edwin and his godlike spellslots perhaps?).

FYI: This is written out of curiousity, not to start an arguement.

Edit: Btw, Minsc with FoA and DoE or similar is just ridiculous in melee. There's not much need to be more OP than that. Overkill is overkill, no need to over do it.
    Ok, I probably should have been more specific. When I was experimenting with various party compositions, I always came to a point where Minsc didn't really have a well-defined place. With a good party I'd have CharName, Jaheira and Anomen for spirit casters and back up melee, Keldorn with Carsomyr (true sight, protection from evil almost at will, magic resistance and high level dispel magics? Gotta take him), Neera as a specialty mage and I'd use Yoshimo for a thief (and trap-setter) if we were before chapter 4. After that, of course Yoshimo is replaced by Imoen.

An evil party prior to Ch 4 might have Charname, Korgan, Viconia, Edwin, Hexxat/Yoshimo and Jaheira, since her neutrality lets her tolerate the presence of the others.

Charname was always a warrior type, so we didn't need Minsc's brawn. If I'd had 7 or 8 character slots available, I could more easily have found a role for Minsc.

Right now I am trying a run where Charname is not a warrior kit; that's new for me. He's a swashbuckler who will serve as the main thief. This will let me do mostly without Yoshimo and I am going to keep Minsc around as a front line fighter throughout and see how he performs in later chapters. In fact I'm using several folks as a core group that I haven't taken before. That will take a significant while, however; my main run-through group is only just starting Ch 6, and I'd really like to get to ToB sometime this year :smiley:
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @FrdNwsm ok, I thought you talked about Minsc more generally and not based on your own party composition. In that case I understand you completely.

I too have dropped him from the party on occassions since he, like you point out, is outperformed by other more versatile characters. I like chars and NPC's which can fill more than just one role, so some kind of combination of spells, skills and melee/ranged is preferred (like An(n)o(y)men, Jaheira, Kel). Minsc doesn't really do that, but he do fit the role of chunker pretty good. He dish out more dmg per round than most good-aligned NPC's, but as we all know, the evil ones are better (Dorn, Korgan). If your charname is good and not some kind of fighter, he do bring alot to a party. Keldorn + Minsc with Anomen, Imoen/Jan, CHARNAME make a great core team. Swapping the last slot for NPC individual quests. Though of course, Jaheira could be used as well, but it takes at least half of Athkatla before you get ironskins IIRC.