Skip to content

Original BG movies vs new EE movies

2»

Comments

• BazzaBazza Member Posts: 57
    The new EE movies are ok, just can't get past the blatant error in the Bandit Camp one. All I see is a Knoll standing with half a sword missing! It looks terrible!

The old movies oozed character and attention to detail that helped immerse yourself within the game, yeah they are a bit dated but I miss them all the same, yeah should install that mod :)
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    I think that having the chance to choose the movies you prefer (vanilla or EE) would be great.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    I would say a mix of them...

I miss some of them, like the Iron Throne first entrance, Candlkeep return, Durlag's Tower and BG City, and the Intro with the "Baldur's Gate" at the end with the epic music.

But I like the new Friendly Arm Inn and the new Nashkell

And I dont miss the Gnoll Fortress.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    The problem with the new bandit camp movie is that it shows the bandit as a prisoner but in the old movie it shows him as a recruit being disciplined with a smack on the back
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    There's just something...magical about the older movies that I really liked as a kid. If I was as old back then as I am today, I would probably have voted the other way.
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    15:19 Wyvern flying off with a cow FTW!

Seriously, I'm going to be biased here because I originally played the game with the old version, and I'm old enough to remember when that style of animation was new and exciting.

But the real reason I prefer the old movies (and I watched that comparison video to make sure) is that they excel in setting the tone of the places you are entering. Motion and actual animation do that in a way the new style cannot. Plus they contain lots of small touches--little kids romping about in the street, a man sneezing as someone shakes out a carpet from a window overhead--that set the scene and the mood. I still remember the very first time I saw the Durlag's Tower animation and how creepy it was, and that was nearly a decade ago. It took time and care (and money, I'm sure) to do all that.

The new style has a certain technical beauty to it, but it reeks of budget limitations and leaves me cold.
  • ikonomovikonomov Member Posts: 13
    Jenzafar, I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    I prefer the original movies. There are a few bits in te new movies that really annoy me. Originally the EE Intro movie left out the "There are others, I can show you! Please!" line and everyone lost their minds. So, the went back, re-did it and added the line back in, but they didn't extend the video and the only way to get it in there was to speed it up ever so slightly and just jam it onto the end of one frame. It sounds silly and rushed. I kinda prefer when the line wasn't even in there now, but I definitely prefer the original video to this one.

Another such instance is the Friendly Arm Inn video. They didn't want the video to be as long for EE, since the EE version really does nothing but show the Friendly Arm from a still angle while the music plays, so they edited the music clip. Instead of having the music fade out, since the scene wasn't as long so the song was too long for the scene now, they cut a portion so they could still have the epic ending of the song in their video. Sadly though, it is quite obviously cut, and the end result is somewhat jarring the way the music suddenly increases in volume from one half second to the next. In the long run I'd rather either watch the unmoving video of the Friendly Arm for the few seconds extra and hear the whole song, or just have the song fade out instead of cutting it the way they did.

I would love the option to be able to pick and choose which videos were used by the game. Some of the EE ones aren't that bad.
  • dwilliams1966dwilliams1966 Member Posts: 41
    The original ones are better, IMO. They should at least be an option.