Skip to content

Most fun PC thief?

So, now that I'm back to my old BG2 addiction, it's time to do stuff I've never tried before, namely some sort of PC thief. Here are the options:

Multi-class

fighter/thief: crazy backstabbing, but repetitive. Would bore me fairly quickly.
mage/thief: never was much of a Jan fan (except for the banter), because I don't abuse Mislead and felt his backstabbing was poor due to terrible thac0. He was always relegated to archer and backup mage. Also, very weak at the start.
cleric/thief: now this interests me! Perfect scouting and disarming with Sanctuary. Decent base thac0, lots of buffs to lower it and inflict nuts backstab damage with hit and fade. Can switch roles in a pinch and heal the party under Sanctuary or cause havoc with spells. Decent from the get go. RP-wise, could be a Mask-worshipping gnome, kind of like a less loopy Tiax.
fighter/mage/thief: takes too long to develop in a full party.

Kits

bounty hunter: of all the thief kits, this is the only one that might interest me in the long run, as the special traps have many tactical uses. I've always tired of PCs without spellcasting though.

Dual-class

Not a fan of dual-classing due to the downtime. I like my PCs to be fun from start to finish.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • aj_aj_ Member Posts: 9
    Yea I went with the cleric/thief, gnomish, and gave him a mage appearance so now he looks like Friar Tuck with his staff. Made a macro with my mouse software for one-click thieving.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Mage/Thief multi is one of the best multis in the game.
  • mrb101mrb101 Member Posts: 66
    i have read a lot that a mage/thief is great as you can abuse mislead and backstab but i always found their thac0 was to poor to hit often
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    mrb101 said:

i have read a lot that a mage/thief is great as you can abuse mislead and backstab but i always found their thac0 was to poor to hit often

To pour or not to pour, that is not the question. Too poor or not too poor on the other hand.

Mage/thief has heaps of different ways to overcome encounters. Trying to hit high AC targets with a M/T is like using blizzard against a water Pokemon.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Looking for a fun Thief... in this case I'd avoid Swashbuckler and F/T multiclass - as they are pretty straightforward, fighter-ish in nature. Means low-maintenance, but repetitive. Shadow-Dancer is similar, with high maintenance.
    Also - Assassin - "lot of fun with traps and poisons"...maybe not for you.

Bounty Hunter - is very, very fun Thief due to his "sneaky-recon + set traps + watch enemies to be blown to bits" nature
    T/M - not a particular fan. A slow-advancing mage, who still can't fight. The T in M/T is usually picked for utility, not for being especially Thievish. Unless you'd want to abuse Mislead or Tenser's Transformation as your primal game-mode.

T/C - funny and refreshing class combo as it plays vastly differently than other Thief kits or multicasts.

I'd recommend to go for Bounty Hunter (so far, my most entertaining solo-playthrough and I soloed BG1+nearly all of BG2 with all kits).
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Multi-class thief with a kit added in ee keeper.
    A bounty hunting mage or highly trained assassin who actually knows how to use the weapons he trained in for years.
    Assassins having only 1 pip kinda really annoys me, the deadly killers of the shadows should at least know more about their knifes than which side is the pointy end.
    Oh oh oh or a Shadow dancing cleric of Mask or Shar or Vhaeraun, so many RP possibilities.
    Hm. The Assassins get a +1hit/+1dmg bonus, which is like innate second pip in every single weapon (=even better).
    (Non-Fighters don't get that +1/2 APR for second pip anyway)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I recommend the FMT. It doesn't develop that slow, and the sacrifice is well worth it. Arguably the most powerful class.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

I recommend the FMT. It doesn't develop that slow, and the sacrifice is well worth it. Arguably the most powerful class.

Many classes are arguably the most powerful.
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    I wouldn't say that the F/T is "straightforward". You can fight toe-to-toe, you can backstab, you can lay traps, you can detect illusions, later in the game you can use scrolls and (more)wands. The F/T never feels dull for me.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

T/C is good, but I like the T/M more, though I don't mind keepering the thief into a kit for different RP reasons. It makes the class funnier to play IMHO, though doesn't make a huge difference.

Jan is good but a charname is always better. His stats are weak for melee but if you create a char with 18 STR you get a THAC0 point. Add in assassin instead of vanilla thief, get another, create him/her as an elf, get another THAC0 with swords/bows. With some items on top of that, you'll get enough THAC0 boosts to be able to melee, shoot with ranged, backstab, etc and you're still just slightly bending the original rules. You can use arcance spells to supplement thief skills while leveling up (knock, invisibility etc). It's a really entertaining charname IMHO. I've got one going from BG1, currently at level 4/5 or something like that.

The good thing about any kind of T/M, T/I, no matter if you kit or not, is that you can choose NPC's based purely on who you want to have since you will be able to do pretty much everything and anything on your own.

An F/M/T levels slowly indeed, but it doesn't matter since you will be just a level behind throughout most of the game and you will have everything you need and more. Of course you don't play a F/M/T as a mage, crying about not reaching level 9 spells. It doesn't matter once you reach level 6 spells and get some good buffs etc. Anything more than that is just gravy. Same with the thief and fighter parts, you don't need that many levels to be effective. A thief has the points he needs at level 7-10, even less with thief gear and spell support, and a fighter is just there for some HP/THAC0/APR boost, along with specialization.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    A triple-class actually is going to be 2 levels behind in each class. A double-class multi-class will be 1 level behind. I've checked the XP tables and that's basically the progression--at least until high levels, when multi-classing slows things down a lot more. My FMT, with 2.25 million XP, is currently at mage level 12, but if she was a single-classed mage, she'd be at level 16.
    JoshBG said:

I wouldn't say that the F/T is "straightforward". You can fight toe-to-toe, you can backstab, you can lay traps, you can detect illusions, later in the game you can use scrolls and (more)wands. The F/T never feels dull for me.

The "straightforward" way I had meant, is that F/T is easier to play as you can backstab, lay traps and do other Thief-y stuff AND you can fight just fine. (I like F/T even though I find him a bit over-powered)

Try to throw a Bounty Hunter into a fray (and squirm as you watch him/her die). No, with single-class Thieves or other combinations, you need to use more complex strategies than the usual "Backstab and then just keep hacking them to pieces"
  • pplrpplr Member Posts: 17
    Bounty Hunter is good but you may also look into some mods. One includes a psionic thief type (actually more a psionic person made into a thief kit.)

http://www.gibberlings3.net/sns/
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    The big problem about C/T is that, Okay they will make a 120 damage backstab per round but they will still have a very low APR which means they wont do nothing else during the round, and all their gameplay will be based on running in, backstabbing, running off, hiding, running in, backstabbing etc...
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Eekeeper assassin/illusionist sounds like a blast.

Blind, sleep, Blur, mirror image, (greater) invisibility, true sight, tenser's trandormation, mislead, etc.

Stick only to buffs, summons and disabling spells. Focus on being magically sneaky.

Ex: summons, mislead, defensive buffs, invisibility. Let the summons get attention, sneak around, and do several high powered poisoned backstabs.

Even better at high levels with time stop!