Skip to content

Two-Handed Scimitars, Who wants some? *Historical Scimitar Video*

WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T05Y2_WKomI
4:20 ... ^
So who else would like these in Baldur's Gate?
Post edited by WithinAmnesia on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Personally I would like to have all kind of two-handed weapons in the game. The BG2 Tweak adds two-handed axes, bastard swords and katanas for example, IWD-style.

Why not scimitars as well?
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    That's a really interesting video. The presenter is really good (though he could do with getting himself a table to put his swords on so he doesn't keep disappearing out of shot when he picks them up off the floor).

I hadn't realised there was any doubt about the existence of two-handed scimitars (in fact, I always thought that was what a tulwar was) but then again I only just found out that a D&D longsword is really a short sword and a two-handed sword is really called a longsword.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The 'best part' about sword nomenclature is the rampant inconsistency. Seriously, its absurd at times.

Almost any 'single hand' weapon can be used well with both hands, and swords were usually designed with this in mind.

There was a 2-handed scimitar in one of my old D&D books. Iirc, did huge damage vs poorly protected enemies.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited May 2015

BG2Tweaks has a component that lets you world a katana in two hands, but the animation switches to a straight blade (the 2-H sword animation).

Separately, someone around here made a mod with a curved 2-H sword animation... but didn't include any way to use it with in-game items like BG2Tweaks' 2-H katanas.

I suggested that they get together, but I don't think it ever happened. If they could be made to work together, though, it would work well for scimitars as well...

Hmmn, What an odd co-incide-ence @subtledoctor ..

*Animation Restorations are being focused on*
    I will try my best to be able to add dual wielding into the Original Baldur's Gate Player Animations (I have found a solution with 'animation 3'). Also I may be able to add a new use unused Helm Animation into Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, and I may be able to restore more weapon variety for monster animations. Also I am thinking about a project where both the Original Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Animation are used. The Armour is speculated to work as such:

-No Armour: To Be Decided / Mix for Non Recruitable Non-Player Characters.
    -Leather Armour: Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast 'Leather Animation'.
    -Studded Leather Armour: Leather Armour: Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal 'Leather Animation'.
    -Hide Armour: Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast 'Leather Animation'.
    -Chain Mail Armour: Mostly Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast 'Chain Mail Animation' (Except for Rogues)
    -Splint Mail Armour: Case By Case Armour Animation Choice.
    -Plate Mail Armour: Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast 'Plate Mail Animation'
    -Full Plate Mail Armour: Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal 'Plate Mail Animation'.

I will try my very best to restore the old helm animations for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. I will need help in 'setting it up' but I am confident that I can complete the laborious task of creating the restored helm assets.

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/32091/new-expansion-pack-baldurs-gate-path-of-the-lost-odyssey/p3