Skip to content

Choosing a Single Class PC for First no Reload Run

I'm trying to decide on a class for my first no reload run. My self imposed rule is that I will use as little cheese as possible (I.e. no abusing Staff of the magi, no using Shield of Balduran, moving Robes of Vecna and Vhailor's Helm to ToB, no stealing/selling for infinite money, etc.) I want a single class PC because most of my playthroughs are with multi/dual classes.
I've narrowed it down to Bounty Hunter, Avenger, Kensai, Undead Hunter, or Priest of Lothander (sp?). I'm also open to other suggestions with sufficient reasons as to why :)

Note: Game will be played on Core with SCS installed and it will be entire trilogy. I am looking forward to this since if PC dies it's game over and I'm not sure how I'll handle it...I've never not finished a playthrough.

Comments

• ZalsonZalson Member Posts: 103
    Straight bard. For the extra challenge.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    With as little cheese as possible mentioned as the aim of the run, a bounty hunter can be considered a no-go by some people because her traps, if used constantly, are very powerful. But in the same time, it's the main feature of the kit so it's very much OK from a RP point of view if you set traps often while playing as a bounty hunter.

I like playing thieves, especially on no-reload runs. They have everything you need: stealth, backstabs, traps, disarming and lockpickting, detect illusion.

But I've learned that playing as a druid can be a lot of fun as well. An Avenger is a very strong character while not OP.

I'd take one of them.
  • JAuggieJAuggie Member Posts: 28
    That's a really good point about bounty hunters, but I don't think I'll be using too much cheese with them since I won't be using traps every fight, won't use them on neutral characters/spawn points, and won't be resting to place max number of traps at once, etc. Avenger and Bounty Hunter appeal to me because of the tactical advantages I can get with them, letting me try out new strategies.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Sage advice from semiticgod. Defence is far more important than offence for no-reload especially with SCS. Something like kensai is not at all suitable, berserker is far more suitable because of the defensive resources (helmet, armour and enrage). You also need to think about saving throws so a non-shorty rogue is also weak. From the op's list of 5 contenders, I would say Undead Hunter would be the strongest (!) Sounds weird but paladin saving throws, warrior HPs, kit immunities, Carsomyr use and some limited casting ability makes that a stronger defensive option than the others.
    I would go further with the potions advice too and say you should buy every bottle of defensive potions you can get your hands on. Invulnerability, Freedom, Clarity, Speed, Invisibility, Stone Form, Mind Focusing, Magic Shielding, Magic Protection and whatever else I've missed!
    I know Kensai is probably the worst choice for my first attempt at a no reload. I do appreciate the advice about playing defensively. One of the things I was thinking of doing with the characters that can is getting at least a pip in longswords/shortswords so that at least in BG2 I can take advantage of Adjatha and Arbane for their immunities. I will definitely take advantage of chaotic commands and spell immunity for my mages.

And kensai is my favorite class as that was my first ever PC (that was a rough playthrough!). That's the only reason he's on the list.
    I think I may have misunderstood slightly, I thought you were planning solo. If it's with a party then other options are much easier to incorporate, since you can use other party members to give the protections a kensai might need, for example. Also disabling spells are not as horrendous (though still bad) if you have somebody around who can still dispel magic or draw enemy fire.
    I should have stated that earlier. I'll be playing with the "canon" party. If any die, they don't get resurrected or replaced. That's why I'm wanting a solid choice for PC, with bad playing and bad luck, it may become a solo :)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Berserker to Thief is a solid, easy to play charname, though when to dual can be a big question, because you will want to do melee at least unto mooks, even if you make liberal use of Epic Traps for hard fights. Kensai has too many restrictions to do as your first such run, but feel free to prove me wrong!

@semiticgod and @Blackraven are both good at challenging BG2 solos, so take a look at their playthroughs maybe for tips.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    JAuggie said:

I should have stated that earlier. I'll be playing with the "canon" party. If any die, they don't get resurrected or replaced. That's why I'm wanting a solid choice for PC, with bad playing and bad luck, it may become a solo :)

I agree with @semiticgod and @Jaheiras_Witness that defense > offense.

I find it difficult to advise, taking into account your above specification. If you manage to keep (most of) your companions alive until at least mid-SoA, even a Kensai will look good. If not, well they're a hard class to solo at lower levels due to their high AC and the inability to wear certain protective armors/shields, especially Shield of Harmony, meaning disablers can pose more of a threat to a Kensai than to most other warrior classes.
    To counter the vulnerability to disablers, Dwarf would be the most convenient race. This is thanks to their saves bonuses. At some point most spells will become harmless (20 CON plus Claw of Kazgaroth helps a lot in that respect, even in BG1), but until that time you'll want to hold on to all potions that lower your saves or protect against magic.
    As to the Kensai's AC, a Dwarf's 17 Dex is suboptimal, but with the tome in BG1 you could get 18 Dex and thus the maximum Dex-based AC bonus. Again potions (Defense, Invulnerability), as well as the Shield Amulet (maybe you could allow yourself recharges) are helpful in both BG1 and BG2. In the course of BG2 AC, like enemy spellcasting, becomes even less of an issue thanks to more protective items such as Ilbratha, Boots of Gargoyle, and damage resistance options (Defender of Easthaven, Hardiness).
    Personally I'd be very interested to see someone attempt an SCS no-reload run with a Kensai.

As to the other classes, my best and most enjoyable no-reload experience has been with a solo Dwarven Bounty Hunter (and I'm currently running a human Bounty Hunter in a party). The BH's special traps are amongst the finest special abilities the game offers, except for the lvl 16-21 Resilient Sphere traps. The fantastic level 21+ Maze traps combine very well with the HLA traps. Together with UAI they make the BH very good for the late-game.

Cleric of Lathander is really good thanks to the Boon of Lathander's extra APR. That abilty (which as I understand, stacks) plus buffs/protections should make them powerful fighters on par with warriors. But unlike warriors they also have summons, a couple of good damage spells, and thieflike abilities such as True Seeing and Find Traps. Versatile contenders for the Throne of Bhaal. Again, Dwarf would be the optimal race (for both BH and Priest of Lathander).
    Avengers seem to be slightly better offensively than Priests of Lathander because of their spell repertoire, but also a bit more vulnerable: must be human or half-elf (so no save bonuses), no Shields (of Harmony, Reflection etc), only leather armor, no DoE for damage reduction). Since you say you want to avoid "cheese" I'd recommend the Priest of Lathander over the Avenger. I really think the former can be played more intuitively and less metagamey than the latter.

Paladins are probably the best warrior class, and an Undead Hunter is no exception. I do consider the Cavalier to be the superior kit though. The UH's abilities are good but can be replicated. Spiders' Bane and Arbane's protect against Hold, and the Amulet of Power and Mace of Disruption help against level drain. (The advantage of playing an UH would be that NPCs could us those items.)

My wish list (if you were to share your adventure on the forums):
    1) Kensai
    2) Priest of Lathander
    3) Bounty Hunter
    4) Avenger
    5) Undead Hunter

Most solid pick:
    1) Priest of Lathander
    2) Bounty Hunter
    3) Undead Hunter
    4) Avenger/Kensai
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

A character with cleric or druid levels can cast Chaotic Commands and Remove Fear.

@semiticgod

I'd just like to point out that while playing as a solo Totemic druid through BG, I've learned that the druid does not have Remove Fear among her spells. The only way to get it is through the Deva HLA.
    edited May 2015
    After reading through the comments and thinking about what I want to play as, I've decided I'm going to do 2 playthroughs. My second playthrough will be what I described above using a Kensai. It will be my first time getting really immersed in the story as a character and I'm looking forward to playing it more as a roleplayer than a videogamer.

My first playthrough is going to be as a Bounty Hunter solo with no reloads. I really want to try this class out (more than the short sample of using Yoshimo), and she seems like a good class to try a solo. Not sure how far I'll get, but I'm looking forward to it.

Quick question on resting for both of these games. How often do you guys rest on your no reload runs. Right now I only rest when 2 or more characters get fatigued. I never rest just to reset spells and my casters will start slinging darts/daggers/slings until I finally rest (I always try to keep gamedays as low as possible).

And specific thanks to @semiticgod @bengoshi @Jaheiras_Witness @blackraven.

Edited for typos
    I'm one of those people who think that you should rest as often as you need to succeed a no-reload run. Your character is alone in the world full of lots of powerful enemies and she doesn't want to be overwhelmed because didn't sleep enough.

I'm playing with the SCS mod and need as many abilities/item charges/spells for any battle as I can get, especially when the game starts giving a caster in nearly each enemy group.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited May 2015
    Good picks JAuggie, and you're welcome. As I said I'm very interested in Kensais myself. And I hope you'll come to love Bounty Hunters as much as I do!

My Charnames normally rest about once a day, or when some of the party members are fatigued, or when they know they're going to face a formidable enemy.

Good luck! Would you consider posting your progress in the "Maybe this time" thread? You've set yourself a very interesting challenge, one that people here on the forums would gladly read about :)

Edit: @bengoshi is right in recommending to rest as much as necessary. I'm a bit more conservative with resting, but it's definitely wiser to rest too often for your liking than it is to rest too little to be safe.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I rest whenever I want to use a spell I don't currently have memorized. Strictly functional resting.
    Thanks! I definitely won't feel bad about my PC sleeping a bit more than usual then :)

@blackraven I'll definitely keep notes about both playthroughs and if I can write a decent enough narrative I will definitely post them and hopefully get some feedback! Threads like that are what got me into wanting to try these challenges :)
    So I started the bounty hunter solo. Actually I should say I'm on my second bounty hunter solo (the first one didn't end so well) and I'm having a blast! Just finished Nashkel mines and now omw to the Bandit Camp!