Skip to content

Giving BG1 NPCs kits

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
So, here's the challenge: Give a kit to every BG1 NPC. Given that BG1 came out before kits, which ones would work the best?

(1) Khalid: Wizard Slayer (People already say he is useless, so why not go the full length? But in all seriousness, as a harper who is supposed to keep the peace, it seems like the kind of kit that would fit. Plus, so have him die to Irenicus? Delicious irony)

(2) Montarion: Assassin (It just fits the little backstabber perfectly, does it not?)

(3) Ajantis: Cavalier (The squire on his mission to full paladinhood, sent to clear out the bandit infestation. He seems like the heroic type. Especially as he comes with sword and shield)

(4) Faldorn: Avenger (she has proven that she is willing to tamper with powers beyond her to defend/avenge nature.)

(5) Garrick: Skald (He follows Charname just to tell a heroic tale. That, and with his banter, it seems like he is the better singer when compared to Eldoth)

(6) Eldoth: Blade (Doesn't sing as well as Garrick, but you find him alone in the very dangerous cloakwood. He seems like the kind of person who could get himself into and out of trouble)

(7) Alora: Swashbuckler (While I see the combat bonuses being her pure luck coming into play, I also find it hard to picture her being a real backstabber. Rather, she goes into battle with a big smile while bantering with her opponents. Swashbuckler fits her well in that regard)

That's it for now. Anyone have anything to add, or a disagreement to make?

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    In my game I have Xan changed to a Kensai, and his moonblade changed to a proper longsword. Makes him much more competitive, especially since you find him with no gear whatsoever. I don't even change his ability scores; that 7 Constitution still hurts when you're a fighter, but not near as bad as when you're a mage.

To balance the loss of a mage, I turn Khalid into an Abjurer, and I swap out his armor for a robe that gives him permanent Protection from Evil. Like Xan, I don't change his ability scores.

I make Alora a Shadowdancer. Jumping in and out of combat causing a ruckus seems right up her alley.

Garrick is a Jester in my party. He doesn't strike me as a singer; more a teller of bad jokes that make people mad.

I typically make Imoen a Swashbuckler, giving her throwing daggers and a short sword instead of the usual shortbow.

I think that's about everything I do.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I like the idea of xan as a kensai, especially with that sword. Give him *** in two weapon fighting and the burning longsword from Durlag's tower, and he'd look boss. A sword covered in blue flames in one hand, and red in the other.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I had a ton of fun making Xan a FM once. Made a good archer, and due to editing hassles, I just gave him Dakkon's Zerth Blade, appropriate profs, and used SWS. Kensai would be pretty interesting.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2015
    Safana I would says is a swashbuckler.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    edited May 2015
    Alora definitely sounds like shadowdancer.
    /Pops out of shadows.
    /Grabs Edwin's nose.
    "I got your nose!"
    /Vanishes back into shadows.

Welp.
    I'm making her a shadowdancer in my current run of BG:EE.

How do you give NPCs kits with EEkeeper? Do I need to de-level them or anything?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Faldorn is the epitome of an avenger.

I'd make Coran an archer - after all, he lives in the forests, hunts wyverns, and is a master sharpshooter.

I'd make Shar-Teel a barbarian - sure, I know that it means she can't dual class to a thief, but I feel that it suits her persona much better.

I'd make Minsc a berserker because... well, he berserks!

And I'd make Kagain a dwarven defender because... well, why not!

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Branwen - Priest of Tempus. While we don't have a mod for direct transfer of this kit from IWDEE, we can use the Battleguard of Tempus kit from the Devine Remix mod.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Imoen - Adventurer from Song & Silence
    Khalid - True-class fighter
    Ajantis - Cavalier
    Kivan - Stalker
    Minsc - Berserker (must be able to wear full plate and pack steel!)
    Dynaheir - Invoker (no change)
    Coran - Sharpshooter from Song & Silence (it explains his Mastery in bows)
    Yeslick - Alaghor of Clangeddin Silverbeard (Divine Remix)
    Alora - Burglar from Song & Silence
    Jaheira - Fighter/Druid (no change)
    Garrick - True-class Bard (no change)
    Safana - Swashbuckler
    Branwen - Battleguard of Tempus (Divine Remix)
    Xan - Fighter/Mage or Bladesinger
    Faldorn - Avenger
    Quayle - Hoodwinker of Baravar Cloakshadow/Illusionist
    Skie - True-class Thief (no change)
    Xzar - Necromancer
    Montaron - Assassin (single-class)
    Kagain - Dwarven Defender
    Edwin - Conjurer/Red Wizard (no change)
    Shar-Teel - True-class Fighter or Wizard Slayer (for vs. Angelo)
    Viconia - Nightcloak of Shar
    Eldoth - True-class Bard, unless there is a "Smarmy Lech" kit?
    Tiax - Strifebringer of Cyric/Thief
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Imoen - Mage/Thief, or Spellflicher (SoB)
    Khalid - Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Thief, or Fighter/Mage/Thief
    Ajantis - Cavalier
    Kivan - Archer, but I can see Stalker too.
    Minsc - Berserker, Barbarian, or Barbarian Ranger (SoB)
    Dynaheir - Invoker
    Coran - Sniper (SoB)
    Yeslick - Fighter/Cleric
    Alora - Shadowdancer
    Jaheira - Fighter/Druid, or a Totemic Druid.
    Safana - Swashbuckler
    Garrick - Skald
    Branwen - Battleguard of Tempus (Divine Remix)
    Xan - Fighter/Mage, or Bladesinger (SoB)
    Faldorn - Avenger
    Quayle - Cleric/Mage
    Xzar - Necromancer
    Skie - True-Class Thief, or True-Class Bard
    Montaron - Assassin
    Kagain - Dwarven Defender, without doubt.
    Edwin - Conjurer, or Red Mage (SoB)
    Viconia - Nightcloak of Shar, or Cleric/Thief
    Shar-teel - Berserker, or Wizard Slayer
    Eldoth - Jester, because I consider him a darn Jester.
    Tiax - Strifebringer of Cyric (Divine Remix)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @subtledoctor what wizardry is this 'mod kits' you speak of?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I agree to many posted above, but about Minsc I picture him fitting with a barbarian class more than berzerker. He just doesn't seem like the guy who would grandmaster in a weapon prof. I'm not a fan of berzerker at all though, since I believe barbarian would make a better fighter kit and that berzerker shouldn't really exist at all.

Khalid fits as a coward that could use stealth so he can run away and hide under the bed when it gets scary :smiley: hehe.. Maybe swashbuckler could be a decent kit for him. No backstab, so still techinically fucntioning as a fighter, only less competent (less thac0). Fits him good, but he shouldn't have other theif skills as it doesn't fit him.

Garrick is a jester to me.

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Various posters above suggest that Safana would fit as a Swashbuckler. I guess that's mainly because her biography talks about her background in maritime piracy, which fits the classic Swashbuckler stereotype.

However, a Swashbuckler can't back-stab ... and in Safana's BG2 cameo, "stabbing you in the back" is exactly what she does! (At least figuratively :smile:) It seems to me (although obviously this is a matter of personal opinion) that sneaking up on someone and back-stabbing fits Safana's character. So no, I don't think she's a natural for the Swashbuckler kit. Her activities in BG2 seem a better fit for a Bounty Hunter.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I'd second bounty hunter, especially as Montarion would make a good assassin. Then have Alora be a swashbuckler (far too happy go lucky and nice to slit someone's throat, and far too quick to take a hit). That leaves Imoen as a pure thief who can dual to mage.

Doing that would give all of the thief kits a character who can be recruited.

Also, now that I think about it, I'd like to see some NPC specific kits. Specifically cleric of Moradin (Yeslick) and cleric of Tempus (Branwen)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Kivan: Stalker
    Pretty obvious -- this dude fits the personality role.

Alora: Shadowdancer
    For reasons already stated here.

Safana: Swashbuckler
    Even if that biography is probably all lies.

Shar-Teel: Berserker
    She's a nasty, angry bitch so it just seems appropriate. I don't think she's quite primal enough to be a Barbarian, but maybe I'm wrong.

Skie: Shadowdancer
    Her biography references her being quite the dancer, and if she combines that with thieving arts, well, why not?

Faldorn: Avenger
    For reasons already stated here.

Garrick: Jester
    Because he's a fool.

Kagain: Dwarven Defender
    Tanky tank tank.

And for all of you suggesting that multi-class characters become non-multi-class … Yuck!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

Various posters above suggest that Safana would fit as a Swashbuckler. I guess that's mainly because her biography talks about her background in maritime piracy, which fits the classic Swashbuckler stereotype.

I've always thought that one of the main reasons was not only her biography, but her portrait as well, the most open one in BG1. And pirate ladies are often pictured in the same ... ahm...open manner.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    I kinda like minsc as a berzerking ranger, with vampires as favored enemies. I usually groom him to dual-weild upgraded mace of disruption and a long or bastard sword. I don't like ranger kits much (except archer which is so not Minsc) but I would go with Stalker. Good for sneaking up on Eveul.

A great story plot would have been to get Dynaheir to come back as a vampire enemy...

I see Safana more as a Shadowdancer. I don't picture her tinkering with traps and stuff. She can appear and disappear out of your life at will. And come back to give you a delicate and sensual backstab.