Skip to content

Custom PC & NPC Portraits

Comments

• BlueSorceressBlueSorceress Member Posts: 84
    Isandir said:

@BlueSorceress: That's actually quite good for "meager" Photoshop skills! If you're looking to improve, it depends on what you're aiming to do. A BG1 style would require raising the contrast heavily and adding shadows across the model's face. You would also raise the contrast a bit for a BG2 style, but also soften many of the details. The best advice I could give would simply be to experiment with Photoshop's tools and try different techniques to see if you like the result.

If you'd like someone else to take a crack at it (I recall another person mentioning liking the photo), simply upload the scan and I'm sure someone will try.

Whew! Took me a long time to get back to this...

@Isandir - Thank you. I appreciate the advice and the encouragement.

I only have access to Photoshop when my boss sends my work computer home with me over the weekend, and I don't know when the next time that will be is, so any further edits on my part will have to wait until then. I might try playing with the contrast in GIMP if it looks like it's going to be a long wait.

I've attached my scan to this post so that some other interested party can take a crack at this young lady in the interim.

-Blue
    Isandir
  • FatalApocalypseFatalApocalypse Member Posts: 66
    nano said:

... proceeds to post a dainty-looking elf :p

lol took you some time :P But I have an excuse, I'm chaotic neutral!

On a side note there should be a law preventing people who don't know who Magus is to post on anything video game related.

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I'm sorry if I offended you, but come on, did you look at him? Long flowing hair, soulful pose in front of a full moon (and what IS he doing with that scythe), brooding look. Front cover material for "Pansy Elves Monthly" right there.
    booinyoureyes
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640

On a side note there should be a law preventing people who don't know who Magus is to post on anything video game related.

Speaking as a girl who likes 'pansy', 'bishounen' looking elves, I wouldn't have guessed that was Magus if you hadn't posted it, honestly. He lost like, a ton of muscle tone in that fanart. Official art of him is quite ripped, not so much 'thin pretty boy brooding soulfully with his scythe in a weird position in the moonlight'.

Personally, I sort of prefer the 'thin pretty boy brooding soulfully with his scythe in a weird position in the moonlight', but Magus? Really?
    Well, the second one looks ripped, at least. First one might still be a bit too pretty boy, but there is some muscle definition there, I think. Ah, whatever. I like them.

...Couldn't imagine using a recognizable face as a portrait for BG, though. I try to avoid overly famous celebrity portraits for that same reason.
    Isandir
    edited January 2014
    Worry not Nano it takes more than such petty stuff to offend me lol

Twani, he didn't lose muscle, he just was redrawn without the 'over muscled dragonball look' that didn't make sense with his general personality and story anyway

Foggy that first one isn't good, he looks much too young and inexperienced. The second one is more like it, but the drawing style is boring and undetailed. Blurry face no thanks. Red pupil is ridiculous.

Edit; Oh by the way Twani, you maybe have seen the 'original' art, but you seem to forget that when you get Magus in the game... He's brooding soulfully with his scythe at the top of a cliff. Carry on comrade lolol

Post edited by FatalApocalypse on
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Isandir said:

and I had no idea of who Magus was.

New to me too. Chrono Trigger never released here :(
  • vierraevierrae Member Posts: 103
    Been playing PnP and computer RPG for over 15 years now, and I don't give a damn, who Magnus is. It's not relevant to BG universe and this forum, no?
    AstafasDelvarianIsandirSyntia13

I also have no idea who Magus is. I maybe 'Asian', but I don't play many Asian games at all. I just ignore fanboys when they make statements like that.

You should verify what the definition of ignoring means lol
    vierrae said:

Been playing PnP and computer RPG for over 15 years now, and I don't give a damn, who Magnus is. It's not relevant to BG universe and this forum, no?

Same again, contradiction 101. And 15 years out of the whole of video game history is just as irrelevent as Magus is here.

Oh man, leading ants to their graves always is such fun. *Takes a soulfull pose holding a scythe* rofl

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I don't really play Japanese RPGs but I can honestly say I love Chrono Trigger. The story is a bit mental but the gameplay, graphics and music are great. It was released at the zenith of Sprite-based tech, just before things turned to horrible, clunky early 3D.

It got released on the Nintendo DS a while back and if you own one it's definitely worth tracking down, though from the looks of things the iOS version is bugged to hell.

Hmm. I should probably post a portrait...
    Silverstarjackjack
    Corvino said:

It got released on the Nintendo DS a while back and if you own one it's definitely worth tracking down

Oooh. Proper DS or silly 3D version only?
    Corvino
    I find both sides of this almost debate silly. There's nothing wrong with Japanese (or Chinese, or Korean) anime, gaming, literature, art, and so on (and in truth, I'd say someone who hasn't read Romance of the Three Kingdoms is missing a great piece of classical literature, just like I'd say of someone who never read a play of Shakespeare). On the other hand, claiming people who don't know who a character in a Japanese video game that came out fifteen some years ago on a console four or so generations old shouldn't be posting on a site for a completely different genre of video games is ridiculous.

(For the record, Chrono Trigger was fun enough, but nothing truly groundbreaking, in my opinion. Sure, if you're bored and want a good RPG from the SNES days, grab the DS version, but despite what some fans will insist, you're not missing the greatest story ever told or anything. It's a pretty basic and predictable plot with pretty stereotypical characters.)

And none of this has anything to do with portraits, anyway, unless we're trying to decide if we should use Magnus as a portrait for BG. In which: he's not going to fit in very well. Not very well at *all*.
    Isandir
    edited January 2014
    On a side note, BGIISOA is ranked 3 on IGN top 100 best rpgs of all time. Chrono is ranked 2. Ironicly, I like BG2 better lol

Okay back to topic, I'm making an illusionist mage, and this is going to be what he looks like to others.

Edit; Click to enlarge for the full brain melting effect.
    AbelSyntia13lunarAHF
    Twani said:

I find both sides of this almost debate silly. (blabla) On the other hand, claiming people who don't know who a character in a Japanese video game that came out fifteen some years ago on a console four or so generations old shouldn't be posting on a site for a completely different genre of video games is ridiculous. (blabla some more) In which: he's not going to fit in very well. Not very well at *all*.

Dude the ridiculous thing here is that you're taking all of this so seriously and think that my remark was completely serious and to be taken to the first degree, which was obviously not the case. So go on and say Magus wouldnt fit in very well at all. Looking at your perception level you wouldn't even fit as a commoner in the game's villages rofl

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Twani said:

(and in truth, I'd say someone who hasn't read Romance of the Three Kingdoms is missing a great piece of classical literature, just like I'd say of someone who never read a play of Shakespeare).

@Twani
    A girl who's read 三国演义?! O_o You must be Chinese right??

I am ashamed to say that I've only watched the TV series, both the classic version from the 90s, and also the more recent one from a few years ago.

This wonderful thread is getting derailed... So to bring it back to art...

http://z3.invisionfree.com/HU_GE_GE/ar/t2738.htm

I love this collection of pictures of characters from Legend of the Condor Heroes. I'm pretty sure they are photo-manipulations, but sadly I haven't been able to find larger version. :(
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    @Astafas can you please make the head of the moonelf a little bit smaller? It's really good as it is though, I'm not saying otherwise just to be clear.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    @Illustair, sure, I can do a special version for you (please don't repost it though, as I think the current size is actually correct). Armor or robe? :-)
    Illustair
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Nice, awesome. I'm torn, both looks good. I'll just choose on random, argh I'll go with robe then. I appreciate it!
    Astafas
    vierrae said:

I'm awfully far from Isandir's skill, but still... And so here's another portrait.

Not bad at all vierrae.
    SpaceInvaderjackjackvierraeCrevsDaak
    Isandir said:

He's a chaotic neutral thief for BG1, and the character concept is refreshingly roguish.

That there most definitely screams rogue, yes.
    vierraebooinyoureyes