Skip to content

How feasible is a solo no re-load IWDEE run? *SPOILERS*

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    No protection from fires available at that point?
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    @decado, hehe I am kinda lazy to use scrolls and potions at times. My own fault x_x
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Using consumables is kinda essential in a no-reload run. At the earlier levels anyway...
    edited June 2015
    @decado any good advise for level 3 Dragon's Eye entry swarm?
    Right now my armored AC is -7 and I have a feeling is not very good against that bunch of expired meat, and would blur spell stack with that blur sash? I could use spirit armor but will only improve total AC by 2 making it -9 unless blur is stackable that will be nice ^^.
    Mirror Image would stall them for a while I guess but I think I can at best get away with 1 x web or grease before they are all over me X_X
    Hate to go back to Easthaven if I make a mistake now :astonished:
    Oh btw, used up that precious regenerating potion on that meeting with those talonites and their pets in the previous level. Thus that potion is not an option anymore ...
    Oooo, I can get the AC down to -13 should be enough ^^
    edited June 2015
    Looks like now the fun has just began ^_^ AC-13 ^^
    Anyone knows if there are any items that regenerates HP besides that suit of armor?

*oops nvm, the other 2 is in HoW ....
    Cleared Dragon's Eye level 3, next gruesome level ... need think real hard ...
    edited June 2015
    For the curious:

I took my chance and killed the party fromWaterdeep in level 4 Dragon's Eye. Guess what? This act do no loose reputation :astonished: and you don't have to play evil alignment to to this act and get that bunch of goodies they carry !! <== morally incorrect since I am play neutral good but they don't sound very good aligned in the first place ... anyone knows if they are good/evil/neutral? I don't have a know alignment thing :disappointed:
    Post edited by Bubbles on
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'd like to know your XP/levels at each stage, since I've never done a core rules run.
    edited June 2015
    @FinneousPJ, I didn't record the levels (and I do not have save games at each stage as this will ensure I will abide to the no reload) but to me the most critical stages I am concerned over:

1-Dragon's Eye first level, if I remember right by the time you complete the Lizard King quest your fighter level would be 7 (I find that useful since it allows me 3 arrows/round to fight those stinking insects at a safe distance and also 3apr for 2-weapons style to fight those talonites and their pets.

2-basically up until the Lizard King fight then did I start to use some spells before that is hack n slash. After Lizard King you would then have suficient resources to get the items you need to have (provided you rob all that you could in Kuldahar (or you get lucky, the Lizard King is kind enough to give you a Robe of Enfusing but I rather have boots of the Fox if only I could have a choice)

3- 1 important thing to note if you cleared all the early side quests that are not hooked up to the linear storyline, you will have just the right levels to handle every higher difficulty areas. (It would seemed they have anticipated players to solo it and are kind enough to ensure we have just the right level to pull through).

4-Once the talonites have been settled it is smooth sailing from then on (I am right now at level 4 DE)
    Post edited by Bubbles on
    edited June 2015
    Entering level 5 DE at F8/M9/T9, << was already this level after i cleared the beginning of level 4 or halfway through i Think.
    After killing 2-3 Yuan-Tis at level 5 I am F8/M9/T10
    edited June 2015
    By the way, anyone has any opinion as to whether I should go to HoW at F8/M9/T10 ?
    I am kinda craving for items that regenerate HP :expressionless:
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    By this level, HP should have started mattering wwwaaayyy less, are you using MI, Stoneskin, etc? Stacking up on spell protections should leave you pretty safe. Mind you, I don't know whst spells you actualy know... and a solo mage, even a triple multi, should be gaining spell levels awfully early.

Anyways, buying scrolls imho is the bigger payout in HoW, that and a totally awesome amulet. And a really handy ring of wizardry. Be cautious vs Drowned Dead though, they are pretty tough even on core. If you can avoid fighting them, consider it.
    @DreadKhan, Orrick do not sell stoneskin during Dragon's Eye stage .. Thus the big question now is should i head over to HoW? Or send that cutely-voiced (Tara Strong) strange little girl back her home first?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Bubbles You have to close the spoiler tag with [/spoiler]
    edited June 2015
    @FinneousPJ thank you.

Sigh.. I was hoping to get the fighter to level 9 before departing for HoW ... I guess I just might not wait for it to hit that level. Hope my THAC0 is enough to handle those stuffs in TotL ...
    @FinneousPJ, I just sent the strange little girl back to her home (decided against HoW until I did that).
    Current level F8/M9/T11. Still didn't manage to push the Fighter level to 9 :disappointed:
    Thus unsure if I should leave for HoW.
    Anyone any advise on that HoW voyage at this point? Any advise is welcome.

Just for those who wish to know, buffing up to fight that strange little girl is not a very good idea.
    Her lackeys have quite a few debuffs and I had to run round her room like a madman as my AC went up to -4 instead of -15 and my mirror images poofed.
    The best route to run is around the perimeter of her room (no traps there) don't try to backwards as 2-3 reptilian mages may spawn at that end of the equation.
    My recommendation s try not to melee with that oversized strange little girl but hit her with all the +2 arrows you have collected along the way till she goes home then the rest is a fair bit easier.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    HoW is pretty dangerous for no-reload. On HoF the wailing virgins use instant death effects so have to be super careful of them.

Still, you can cruise around the main town and pick up some sweet scrolls and xp and head over to Burial Isle invisible and visit the tower for some more scrolls.
    Killing a swarm of Drowned Dead on HoF mode can be pretty ghastly too, and a lucky roll from a Remorhaz can end nearly anyone. Things get a bit silly in HoW, so if you haven't played through it yet, I'd do a reloading run to at least see what can happen there. Its not as brutal in non-HoF mode, but its almost as infuriating as Firewine was in Vanilla for a lowish level party.

Those scrolls though will be huge, so you definately want those. There is one hell of a good bow and longsword available in HoW btw, about the best for each.
    I am running core rules not HoF, so i guess is not that bad ? O_o
    I guess you guys are right, you know the game far better I better take heed and avoid HoW for a long time to come ....
    Cleared levels 1-4 of the Hand and still no sign of that stoneskin scroll ... used up 43 healing potions ouch.
    Anyone any idea where i could find a stoneskin scroll? Or do I really have to go HoW to get it?
    The big isdue is if you aren't familiar with HoW. These games aren't designed for blind no-reload play!
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    @Bubbles there is a stoneskin scroll at the top of one of the towers. I just finished the hand a couple hours ago.
  • CurmudgeonCurmudgeon Member Posts: 57
    Check Corellon Tower (the NE tower) Level 2 (AR5302) x 870, y 590 for a Stoneskin Scroll
    Ok, thank you guys !!
    @DreadKhan, I only finish 1 full party run then i started this no reload for a reason.
    In BG2EE I was so darn familiar with it that it looses an element of surprise when it comes to where monsters etc will be expected to be.
    Here in IWDEE most magical items and monsters are variants and non-standard 2E D&D stuff which makes it all the more appealing to kinda play it as it can then have some elements of realism of the unknown.
    Once this is solo is done, I might plan to do a crazy level 1 start-off in HoF mode but ofc with re-load.
    @Curmudgeon, thank you very much~! YiiiiiiHAA~!! got that stoneskin spell now I can save some healing poyions ^^
    <3 stoneskin ^^
    Completed the Hand with no further useage of healing potions ~!! O_O
    edited June 2015
    @FinneousPJ I finished the Hand now level F9/M11/T12

While in the Hand -- AC-9 for levels 1-4 rcommended. Archers do the greatest damage (Protecttion from Normal Missiles will solve that).
    In the Towers, AC-7 is enough, those bladesingers aren't as professional as they claimed to be. (No wonder they lost the Hand and yet they blame the Dwarves for their own ineffciencies X_X). As usual archers are main source of damage, but do make use of the Life's Gift +2 longsword. It's great to heal some HP since there are plenty to kill in the towers).
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Bubbles said:

@FinneousPJ I finished the Hand now level F9/M11/T12

While in the Hand -- AC-9 for levels 1-4 rcommended. Archers do the greatest damage (Protecttion from Normal Missiles will solve that).
    In the Towers, AC-7 is enough, those bladesingers aren't as professional as they claimed to be. (No wonder they lost the Hand and yet they blame the Dwarves for their own ineffciencies X_X). As usual archers are main source of damage, but do make use of the Life's Gift +2 longsword. It's great to heal some HP since there are plenty to kill in the towers).
    Life's Gift is a random drop. Nice progress so far. Are you keeping improved invisibility available for fights against mages? Resist Fear? Spell Deflection? In a reload run even a single confusion spell let alone a stinking cloud can end your run.