Skip to content

How feasible is a solo no re-load IWDEE run? *SPOILERS*

124»

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Bubbles One more level up to access 6th level spells. Mislead scroll is in HoW, so I recommend you go there soonish. Stoneskin should make a massive difference.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    edited June 2015
    @Wowo if you noticed, spellcasters usually comes with a compliment of cannon fodders. They usually try to ambush you as you enter, so if I see a spell caster, I tend to exit and lure the cannon fodders to the next room while spell casters usually won't follow as they are far away when you first spot them. I will do away those compliments first and armed with bow to shoot that darn spell caster to oblivion. If I notgiced i failed to disrupt his spell i will run to the next room and get confused/dominated over there and wait for it to wear out. Usually the first or second volley will show if he fails spellcasting. (I was lucky too to have a random item boots of the fox for the extra speed).

@FinneousPJ I am now right outside the Hall of Heroes F10/M11/T12 still contemplating a strategy to handle that terikan thingy (his mother must have been craving for teriyaki when he was conceived o_o ). Now that I am at the Hall, I may want to get that mail of life before i head over to HoW to get my spells settled.
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Bubbles said:

Once this is solo is done, I might plan to do a crazy level 1 start-off in HoF mode but ofc with re-load.

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/36595/iwd-ee-hof-solo-warrior-class-challenge
    This is such fun ~!! ^^
    Went in, get those minions out and grind them to dust, went back in and run into Terikan (forgot to off auto-script) thus my FMT rushes forward after i accidentally un-paused (I was dumbfounded).

Whack that Terikan he manage to cause fear -- and for quite a while I was like a panic-striken chicken running around being chased by a bunch of undead ^^ (the good thing about having Equipment-based high AC is that they cannot be dispelled). When i finally get my senses back bashed them and Teri up .. I could not recall where that key was so i rushed around, found it, and just in time to hear Teri re-spawned.

As usual, I rush out of the nearest door into the inner halls ... phew ~ found and done what is required.
    When I went back out I could still see Teri standing there O_O , so I charged forward~!!.
    PUFFED, he splatted up like a pumpkin just when I neared him. X_X

I was planning to sneak around and make the kills but 1 accident make me rushed through it recklessly ..
    I am glad I got away this time ^_^
    @Merina thank you for the link, but frankly I am not a full warrior kind of player. I kind of like abit of everything in 1 character. Maybe i will do it for fun sake though ^^.
    Whenever I read about the amount of "kiting" that's necessary, it's the biggest turn-off for me. Fleeing from one room to another and getting hit by a spell there is cheesy, too.

A small anecdote: With one of my more wacky parties (all multi-class I think) everything was fine at the start of a level 1 HoF mode game. Until I ran into the last encounter inside the Orcs Cave. Four Ogres plus six or more Orcs. They always attacked at once. No matter how carefully I explored the last corner. And the party didn't have anything to stop them. No Web. Entangle only holds up the Orcs sometimes. Same for Grease. Engaging them in melee combat meant 1-2 hits and be killed. Running away, firing arrows and throwing pebbles seemed like the only way. A single lucky shot by an Orc Elite archer makes that hard. Leaving the cave, they followed the party, waiting there for the party to return from Easthaven. Running past them back into the cave, they stayed outside, locking me inside, because the number of enemies blocked the way ... After several reloads, once they were stuck at a corner ... I could "hide" half of the party far away, but as soon as I killed one enemy, they started chasing me again, turning that part of IWDEE HoF into an action game. Aaaaargh! ... Thankfully, it's possible to import heroes that have advanced a few levels already. That's my favorite way to have fun with wacky parties and the HoF XP boost.
    @Merina the link mentioned a solo run HoF .. I did a trial couple of hours back with a monk.
    Oh man even killing a bug takes 3-5mins of pathetic pebble hauling ...
    I started at level 1 for the trial and even that wolf is such a Big Bad Wolf :unamused:
    Can't imagine how to get pass the goblins let alone that orc cave x_x"
    Sure ... solo & HoF ... I'm aware of that. :wink:
    @Merina, well the time consumed for a battle is nightmarish :astonished:
    But the concept is appealing and very challenging I guess... in it's own ways.
    @Merina, that thread tempted me and I have been doing merry-goblin-go-round that rock for 1 hour zz just to get all of those darn goblins ....
    Assuming the XP values will be the same for a solo run, it's between 26,1xx XP and 27,0xx XP per hero at entry of Kuldahar Pass ... with a party-of-six! Solo that would be equal to a lvl 8 fighter. Including the four Ogres and all the orcs! A nightmare for a triple multi-class hero.

Even with a party-of-six ... No sorcerer ... No bald/skald ... all dual/multi classes with one class being a warrior ... the Ogres are a tough nut to crack. Nobody being able to cast Web really makes a big difference compared with two sorcerers in the party. I've had to cheat like this: kill an Ogre with brute force, flee to Easthaven, rest, return to kill another Ogre, rinse repeat. At the entertaining side of things, it's been a long time since I've had the fighter/druid use Beast Claw and even cast Bless.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Merina said:

Assuming the XP values will be the same for a solo run, it's between 26,1xx XP and 27,0xx XP per hero at entry of Kuldahar Pass ... with a party-of-six! Solo that would be equal to a lvl 8 fighter. Including the four Ogres and all the orcs! A nightmare for a triple multi-class hero.

Even with a party-of-six ... No sorcerer ... No bald/skald ... all dual/multi classes with one class being a warrior ... the Ogres are a tough nut to crack. Nobody being able to cast Web really makes a big difference compared with two sorcerers in the party. I've had to cheat like this: kill an Ogre with brute force, flee to Easthaven, rest, return to kill another Ogre, rinse repeat. At the entertaining side of things, it's been a long time since I've had the fighter/druid use Beast Claw and even cast Bless.
    Why all dual/multi fighters compared to including a Skald? I struggled with this fight too but web doesn't catch ogres anyway so just have to do the old hit and run until they go down.
    @Wowo, @Merina I am inching closer to the ogre area hehe took me a while for my monk to get the first 7 orcs.
    I think my little monk really has to sleep through the whole winter just to clear that orc cave.
    Wowo said:

Why all dual/multi fighters compared to including a Skald?

The cities of Luskan and Neverwinter didn't send any bard. Imagine that! :open_mouth: Only a bunch of mercenaries!

Not intending to hijack this topic, ... but it's 2x Berserker->Cleric, 1x Swashbuckler->Fighter (the leader!), 1x Fighter->Mage, 1x Fighter/Mage and a Fighter/Druid from Elbulder, who met the five on her way to Kuldahar. What do I hope for? Dunno. At least some more conventional fighting and experiments with spells I haven't used before often.

@Bubbles : Nice attempt at trying to lure me into solo'ing HoF ... no, I refuse. :blush:
    @Merina maybe you should try multi-player HoF mode ^^ ask Wowo to join you ^^
    That would be fun ^^ anyway this thread has already taken wrong turn we might as well just keep it wrong hahaha.
    Now I am kind of attracted to that single fighter type HoF mode ... and my no reload has been suspended for now X_X
  • AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    I am too chicken to solo HoF, but I did take a HoF duo into the Vale - that run is suspended right now in favour of my evil party of 6. It was F/M/T and R/Cl.
    @Aerich, you are not chicken, you are wise not to waste time with solo HoF as it is very time consuming.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @Aerich just solo a monk in BG1 on Insane, its bad enough.

Unless you LIKE spending minutes trying to kill a group,of Xvarts with darts. :astonished:
    edited June 2015
    @DreadKhan u see, currently I just quit my job so that I could stay home and take care of my mom who is suffering from dementia and also a bunch of old age illness, thus I am just trying to keep my my off it by torturing myself with this monk thing ^^ . I just wonder how that guy manage to clear even the orc cave with his dark moon monk in another thread solo HoF challenge.
    Well I decided to use a Sun Soul monk instead and still scratching my head over the orc cave.

Strange, the Sun Soul ray hits 2 orcs, its description say single target ....
    Oh, that Sun Soul Ray seemed to have a small area of explosive effect or was it a straight line thing? It hits 4 orcs somewhat crowding together.
    I was bored to tears nearly by trying to solo a lvl 1 vanilla monk. Its so crappy! Throwing daggers might be a good first pip choice, they get +2 damage if you have 18 str at least.
    @DreadKhan in Easthaven, using that throwing dagger is a money burner, sling bullets are significantly more affordable.
    Right, you can't resupply at High Hedge in IWD!
    edited June 2015
    @DreadKhan, how I wish to have that lover +4 dagger (unlimited throwing) ...
    Currently I have 1x orc shaman 3x orc elite + 4x orcs hot hounding me hot and I cant figure out a way to settle them :unamused:
    Finally figured out how to clear that orc cave in that HoF challenge.
    Finish all quest in Easthaven total exp for monk : 154820 (currently level 8 sunsoul monk)