Skip to content

Would you buy a BGEE Banter DLC?

2»

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Quartz Nothing wrong with feeling that way. Writing style being identical is just impossible.
  • DuchessOfKvetchDuchessOfKvetch Member Posts: 25
    Yes, but likely ain't happening due to legal issues.

Most everyone just installs the BG1NPC mod and rolls with that. However, it doesn't add new EE party member dialogues, so there it is.

Currently I believe that the mod is just in maintenance stage now, so if you want to try to send money the original author's way (and he has considerably less free time), by all means.
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    @duchessofkvtech BG1NPC is complete for bg1. People are free to submit content for it to be included In there such as EE NPC banters. You could of course also start your own BGEE NPC Project mod ^_^
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2015
    Quartz said:

I don't feel like the writing style of Beamdog's writers is even close to similar to the writing style of the original BioWare writers, so it would inevitably be a mess. I feel the same way about the "BG1 NPC Project" too, frankly.

Not that I don't disagree in a sense, but every writer has their own differences even those who worked at Bioware together. Of course, the biggest thing with something like this is that if it's optional, even those who don't want it shouldn't have to worry about their game experience being affected. There's also always the option of just purchasing the original games instead. Vote with your wallet if it's something you don't care for.

Now of course, I honestly don't think the writing would really be a problem if the banter they add is just for the Enhanced Edition characters. Should they find a way to get back some of the original voice actors for original game NPCs (I know some of the actors like Jim Cummings who did Minsc is still very active and shouldn't be hard to reach) then part of what I'd love them to do is take care of first is all the unvoiced dialogue instead of introducing new banters written by Beamdog. The banters or additional voice acting would only need to deal with new events or the Enhanced Edition characters, like for example if you have Edwin in your party then encounter Neera with The Red Wizards he gives you some special dialogue. Or Ajantis when you encounter Dorn, Viconia when you encounter Rasaad, etc., taking care of the dialogue which is already there first.

After taking care of the already present dialogue, then I'd feel better about them doing all new voiced banters and stuff. Depending on the quality of what they're offering, I would buy it.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I'd be totally for the authors of the NPC project to work with Beamdog to make their work official.
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Grum said:

I'd be totally for the authors of the NPC project to work with Beamdog to make their work official.

I think that would be a great idea, would support them with $$$

• ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    edited July 2015
    -- Minor spoilers for the NPC project below --

I think the NPC project is very well done and a must have in the current BG:EE setup. However, it isn't perfect. It does feel like a mod and not as polished as official content in my opinion. This is by no means a critic, but simply a point to the fact that the mod could, when subject to the right circumstances, be even better.

This said, I believe a full-fledged expansion on the NPC project, made into a full DLC + some extra content (a new evil or neutral npc with a unique quest for instance, perhaps with 1 new area similar to enhanced edition's NPC area additions in scope - i.e. not large areas).
    With a combination of these 2 things, it wouldn't be stealing people's money. If any of the original npc voice actors could get back to voicing those parts where NPC project uses "mood-setting music" that would be great. If not, at least integrate some originally composed music tracks of short length into the game seamlessly (i.e. not the overlap of the zone music).
    When Imoen wants you to bury Gorion, perhaps a small stone, gravestone or whatever could be left to show where the grave is.

You get the point. All these little things that NPC project, for obvious reasons, cannot do as a mod (graphically, perfection of character fitting dialog, fleshing out, etc.) could be doable with full Beamdog cooperation. This is of course provided that the creator of NPC project & Beamdog are even interested in such an undertaking.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Madrict said:

Grum said:

I think that would be a great idea, would support them with $$$

It would also be a great way for Beamdog to keep putting out new content and to support the modding community.

Look at it this way:

(1) Modders make great mods. Some of them are of truly excellent quality.

(2) Not everyone knows of them, knows how to add them, or trusts the websites they are on.

(3) It is in Beamdog's interest to keep people playing and to keep making money off of people who have already bought their game.

(4) By offering some modders an official platform, and a small percentage of the profits, this does a few things...

(a) It brings mods to a larger range of people

(b) It allows beamdog to keep producing content for a fraction of the work

(c) It allows for mods which are chosen to provide something back to the modders (not only a small percentage, but the warm fuzzy knowledge that their work has become 'official.')

Sure, the mods would need to work within the framework of Beamdog's contract. And yes, Beamdog would need to play through the mods first. But just think about what this could mean!

- Banters for everyone with Beamdog only having to edit a bit here and there!

- SCS for everyone! An extra option for players to test their mettle!

- Ascension! As close as you can get right now to an 'official' mod. Greatly improves ToB.

More revenue. More content. Community involvement and feedback. Less work for Beamdog. What's not to love?
  • MrWakkaMrWakka Member Posts: 7
    I would be quite happy to have a sort of official NPC pack. I always felt like post-bg2 none of the BG1 npcs measured up and the bg1npc pack has been a must have mod ever since I first learned about BG mods.

I do not want it to be free, because frankly that is expecting a lot for nothing, especially if they give the NPC's a full treatment of voice, and expanded side quests. BG1 has so many NPC's, but I rarely bother with any of them outside of my initial group because I don't see much reason to. In contrast BG2 I often get each npc in the party long enough to at least do their sidequests.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

There's also always the option of just purchasing the original games instead. Vote with your wallet if it's something you don't care for.

Hmmm…

Baldur's Gate Mac
    Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast Mac
    Baldur's Gate II Mac
    Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal Mac
    Icewind Dale Mac
    Baldur's Gate Anthology PC

OK, done, been doing it for years. Now what? :tongue:
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    an official version of BG1NPC Project is very worth paying for imo, it is an outstanding mod and very necessary for me. Breathes life into BG1!
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    BG1NPC is a must have. Couldnt play BGEE till recently because it wasn't working.

I'm not sure it needs to be made official, though. Its fine as a mod.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    valamyr said:

BG1NPC is a must have. Couldnt play BGEE till recently because it wasn't working.

I'm not sure it needs to be made official, though. Its fine as a mod.

That's fine and all for PC users, I can't play without the NPC project either, but I do feel sorry for the tablet and phone gamer guys, they can't mod.

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Why bother when there's banter packs as mods already? Pocket Plane Group has one, and there's the IEP extended banters as well.
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    Flashburn said:

Why bother when there's banter packs as mods already? Pocket Plane Group has one, and there's the IEP extended banters as well.

Err, the who groups? As far as I know as an Android gamer, I can't do ANY BG mods for my phone, certainly not without rooting.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Flashburn said:

Honestly I started a bgee with thy mod and was loving it up until I started romancing Dynahier.. Seriously, I hate all the players choice dialogue, not everyone is trying to be a paladin, bard, or wannabee lady killer. I wanted to talk to her like a mage and scholar, not aomw kind of magical knight in shining armor. I fear wat brawen and Shar-teel romance lines are like.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited August 2015
    Flashburn said:

Are the banter/interjects voiced?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Although I don't agree with @Quartz 's evaluation of Beamdog writing, I agree with him in the sense that unfortunately there can't be done anything to improve vanilla NPCs in BG1. I think if there's anything added now, after 16 years, to them, it would feel differently. And in the end, it would feel wrong.

I would very much like to see new NPCs in BG games, yes, this is something I'm voting for. But not adding dialogues to BG1 NPCs. After all, there's already such a mod.
  • SereverusSereverus Member Posts: 70
    Yes with all my massive will and energy, i want to read some funny stuff, touching stuff, and maybe some insane stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    The NPC project did a great job making npcs talk more.