Skip to content

Would you buy a BGEE Banter DLC?

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
Beamdog: You did a great job with Neera, Raasad, Dorn and Baeloth. But I need more! They are the only NPCs that say anything in Baldur's Gate 1. The game is far, far, too quiet. Please make a Banter DLC. I'll gladly pay for it! Make the game come alive like BG2.
  1. Would you buy a BGEE Banter DLC?76 votes
    1. Yes! BGEE is far too quiet without it. The only reason I know my party is there is because I need to gather them before venturing forth.
      76.32%
    2. No! I like the NPCs as they are. Don't fix what isn't broken.
      10.53%
    3. I don't care.
      13.16%

Comments

• billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    Agreed absolutely!
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I feel ambivalent about BG:EE's NPC content because while it is well-written and entertaining, it creates this huge discrepancy between the original game's content and the new content. NPCs who were supposed to be a bonus content now kinda take the spotlight.

I know it sounds conterproductive to suggest that the EE's should have had LESS new content, but I'd certainly have preferred more silent new NPCs with less elaborated sidequests than we ended up getting, only because it would've integrated them more seamlessly with the new content.

The only other way to solve this would be to make the old NPCs more fleshed out (and yes, I'm aware that that wasn't possible back then), so yes, I would definitely buy DLC that does that, as long as it's well written and doesn't break/distort any of Bioware's original characterization.
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    ... Can I have some credit for my quote?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    What quote?
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    No; I would rather this be an update. But a man can dream, can't he?
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    Of course! More dialogue can't hurt!
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I've already got NPC Project to solve that problem, but if Beamdog wants to go ahead and make a banter DLC pack, then they are more than welcomed to.

(And knowing me, I'd still probably pay for it.)
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    As long as it works with the NPC project I'm super keen on more banter. Maybe a Safana or Alora romance. Oh oh oh or a Skie romance, it would be awesome to screw over Eldoth.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Only if I get my longed Faldorn romance as well. :neutral:
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited July 2015
    I'd like to see (hear) more interaction between the original NPCs so in the unlikely event that it were possible to get the original voice actors back to say more stuff I would definitely pay for that.

What I don't want is more romances. I hate romances.
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    id donate to a modder for a job well done. pay.... not really unless they appealed to the community to help beamdog make some money to make more baldurs gate. then totally yes.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Bell yes, make them live, instead of walking ragdolls, this is one reason I love Neera!
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I would buy this, but I'd be worried how much it might clash with BG1 NPC mod now that I'm so used to playing with that.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I would buy this.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    If the NPC Project is out of the picture and Beamdog hires the original voice-actors (quite hard to do) to voice new banter and add romances, absolutely.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Well I just installed the banter pack and other mods. I don't feel they should change this in a EEE version in the future.

Even though they are very silent compared to soa that's just part of the charm for me. It even makes it strange when the EE characters are so talkative compared to the original ones.
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    edited July 2015
    Grum said:

What quote?

From "Confessions of a Bhaalspawn" in General Discussion,

Confession: After hearing so much about BGI, I am really disappointed with the lack of banter. I spend 98% of my game listening to swords swinging and characters complaining, but rarely any "You know, that squirrel is eyeing me funny" kind of dialogues. If I didn't need to gather my party before leaving an area, I wouldn't know people were missing.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    "Great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ."
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    While I'm not sure it's needed, and I'm pretty sure more than a few internet folks would likely have their heads explode in rage if Beamdog tried to charge for banter, I would of course buy it. If for no other reason than it would be new content for Baldur's Gate. And it's hard to say no to that. I'd probably pay for Boo's Hamster Dance DLC though, so maybe my judgement isn't the most sound...
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    After all the hard work @AstroBryGuy put into updating the BG1 NPC Project mod for the EE? No reason to pay a cent more.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    shawne said:

After all the hard work @AstroBryGuy put into updating the BG1 NPC Project mod for the EE? No reason to pay a cent more.

Yeah, the poll's a little flawed, in that it has no "Yes I want more banters, but I don't want to pay for them" option.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Dee said:

Yeah, the poll's a little flawed, in that it has no "Yes I want more banters, but I don't want to pay for them" option.

That, or "I've got more banters, they're over here."
  • Style_CommanderStyle_Commander Member Posts: 9
    I think there will be a little more padding in the expansion when it's released. Which to be honest is going to make the game far more enjoyable.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Sadly they are contractually forbidden from doing this, last I heard.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    Already made a thread similar to this on the Feature requests forum myself a while ago.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/42019/interjection-banter-for-bg1-ee-npcs-when-you-gain-or-lose-reputation

I thought since they went through the effort of recording all that dialogue for their 'meeting' scenes and for their plotlines that they would have had some different sorts of banter too. Ajantis uses banter when he states he's had enough of Dorn in the party and proceeds to attack him, so it would make sense to have Dorn coming back with a retort of how foolish Ajantis is or something.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218

Sadly they are contractually forbidden from doing this, last I heard.

How is that exactly?
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    I would totally buy a banter pack.

The NPC Project is awesome and I love it, but additional content for Safana would be great!
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Yes - the banters are one of the defining features that make BG2 /so/ good. Combining high quality banters with the more open-ended game world of BGEE would be just awesome. I am in an odd minority that would rather buy banters from BeamDog than pick them up for free from the mod community, as I prefer to play unmodded, and yet am grateful when work pioneered/inspired by the mod community makes it back into the main game.

Note the 'high quality' benchmark though. Below par banters would significantly degrade the game, and I would be nervous if they were not easy to uninstall. My one brief experiment with modding was a Big World mod on the original vanilla game a few years ago, and the most obvious impact was that Imoen NEVER shut up. She literally had a fresh banter in front of every line of dialog in the game! This was amusing for about 5 minutes, but quickly grated to the point I could no longer play the game - so that would be my fear.

How much are banters worth to me? Probably a $3-5 expansion on the game in hand. If we had fully voiced content for the entire cast through all 7 chapters, I might spring up to $10, but I doubt there would be sufficient interest at that price point to make such an ambitious project profitable.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    If my only experience modding was big world, I'd probably be put off too. It adds a lot. Better to experiment with single mods at a time I'd say.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I don't feel like the writing style of Beamdog's writers is even close to similar to the writing style of the original BioWare writers, so it would inevitably be a mess. I feel the same way about the "BG1 NPC Project" too, frankly.