Skip to content

Hobbies

NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
Hello, all! I've been giving some thought recently about how you can tell a lot about a person by knowing about their hobbies, and it occurred to me to make a thread that addresses hobbies. Basically, in this thread, posters can talk about what they really enjoy, whether it be writing, music, or anything else that they like to do in their free time. As for why this thread exists, well, I guess I just want to get to know you guys better.

Well, since I started this thread, I suppose I should go first. Aside from video games, I've always had a keen interest in artistic and creative expression; things like drawing sketches, writing stories, and playing a musical instrument. It didn't hurt that I also had a creative, if somewhat absentminded brain that quickly forgot about everything except what my hobbies had taught me. As a result, my head is filled with a bunch of useless stuff, like music that I had listened to many years ago, as well as more recently. It got so bad, in fact, that every one of my friends called me a 'living musical library' that could sing a song from beginning to end without struggling to remember the words. My current record is roughly 350 songs total, which I will admit is kind of a bad thing, since that memory could be used for something more practical.

As for what kind of music I like, well, I'll listen to nearly anything (except polka), but I generally don't listen to songs that are basically people boasting about how great or badass they are, as well as how bad their lives are. I just couldn't care less about any of that. My favorite genre is metal, though, especially metal songs that tell a story without resorting to the aforementioned topics.

My interest in music isn't just in listening to it, but in playing it as well. I've been playing the piano and harmonica since I was a young boy, and the trumpet since the start of middle school. I liked performing in front of crowds, despite being shy in normal conversation. In our high school band, I was usually the designated soloist during performances. Now, I mostly play for fun, and to scare off my neighbor's cat when it comes around my house (they like to let it roam, and it always knows the way back home apparently. It DOES keep coming back to my house after all).

I also like to draw, obviously. My profile pic is my work, though I did use a postcard for a reference when drawing it. I haven't been able to draw as much as I used to, but I occasionally practice some sketches whenever I have time. I drew my pic in high school, but it's the only drawing I'm willing to share publicly.

Finally, writing. I'll be honest, I haven't had much practice in recent years due to time constraints, and I think that my writing has suffered as a result. I was writing a story here on the forum, but I kinda decided to stop after completing the fourth chapter since I felt like my writing had gotten worse than when I started writing it. I'm gonna need more time and practice to get back to where I was a few years ago before possibly trying again, though maybe not as a thread on the forum. Ideally, I would like to get it published if I could, but it still needs quite a bit of work before it can get to that point.

Anyway, enough about me :). Feel free to share your hobbies with you fellow forumites here in this thread.

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Hey @meagloth that’s neat. I didn’t know you did that.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    @Madrict sure, why not?
    I really need to get out and exercise more...
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Nimran said:

I really need to get out and exercise more...

So do I... Retail keeps me on my feet all day though, and it's killer on my feet and knees. ;_;

Whenever I see those articles about how "sitting is the new health crisis" I want to say, did these people never work retail?? I was a cashier for many years and I'm sure it damaged my knees.

That and cleaning hotels. I was once a housekeeper for a local hotel, and I'll tell ya, that was just murder on my body. The other workers were all really great to work with though, since they went through the same thing. Except for the front desk. They had chairs. :tired_face:
    edited July 2015
    I'm getting some more free time recently, so I will likely spend it writing up a written playthrough that I had started in the challenges/playthroughs forum. I've also decided to continue my story in fan creations, though not for a while at least. My brain can be fickle like that. :smile:

I intend to fix the parts that left me feeling unsatisfied, and I'll use the written playthrough to practice some more before continuing on.
    Post edited by Nimran on
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

Drawing, sometimes painting and writing.

I approve.
    @dunbar *whistles* Nice!
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    dunbar said:

Behold! My new hobby: It's an old Land Rover that I've bought to facilitate my fishing trips. It needs lots of TLC and I'm currently in the time-consuming process of restoring it to the state it was in when it left the factory 32 years ago.

You can't beat a good Land Rover, incidentally is that a series 3?