Skip to content

Release Date

Comments

• misharsenalmisharsenal Member Posts: 30
    It's largely irrelevant, but the geek bench score is around 1,700 on the ipad 4, and 732 (or thereabouts on the iPad 3). Apart from that they're identical. The main issue was that the retina screen and iOS took way too many resources - the new A6x makes a big difference.

Anyway, back on topic, it looks ominous for a release anytime this week (maybe next) as it seems the build hasn't been submitted (as per TO's Twitter TL, re: memory leak for the iPad 1). I just upgraded my iPad 1 for the 4 (was going to wait for the 5 as the design change in the 4 was incremental, main changes under the hood). The iPad 1 is way to old for games to have to work on that too. This worries me that compromises have been made on the iPad build to reach the lowest common demoninator, which makes sense from a business perspective, but as you can see, it's a killer technically.

Here's to hoping for a quick release. If anyone here works for AAPL, expedite this!
    Looks like app is submitted and we're just waiting on the approval now! Well done boys! Seems they're expediting it, as he's been checking his email all day

@TrentOster Apple is killing me. We've been in review for the entire day, despite my checking my e-mail and our app status every three minutes.
  • BigityBigity Member Posts: 98
    That's promising, dunno how long that usually takes though.
  • BG2BG2 Member Posts: 19
    Hopefully they don't reject it again, fingers crossed!!!
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    Very good news :) this means the OS X is next! woot!
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147

If you go into a restaurant, order a meal and wait like 2 hours when they told you it would be made in 30 mim

Would you not complaim ?

The analogy doesn't work.

First, in a restaurant, it is reasonable to expect service within a reasonable amount of time. It is not reasonable to expect that with software.

Second, you are in the restaurant giving up your time. You chose that restaurant over other restaurants you could have gone to. They said they were open for business on the door. This is a game that is in the process of being developed. If for you, it is like a restaurant open for business, then you have really skewed expectations.

The moral of the story is to hold your cards closer to the chest like with BioShock Infinite. Don't communicate so much and just out of the blue announce delays and people won't make a big deal out of it.
    Ulliam said:

Same here, bought iPad 3 this summer, expecting Bg:Ee. Now iPad 4 has been released. Just hoping we will get it before the iPad 5 :/

By iPad 4 I can only assume you are referring to the iPad Mini.. which is in fact the same performance specs as the iPad 2.. only smaller. So if you have an iPad HD (iPad 3) then you currently have the best performing model at this time.
    Has the 3rd generation iPad ever been called the "iPad HD" by Apple? The iPad 4 he is talking about is the 4th generation iPad. The 3rd and 4th gen iPads actually no longer have numbers. As others have said, the 4th gen has a better processor (A6) while the 3rd gen's processor is a bit underpowered for the number of pixels with the A5. My understanding is that graphics intensive games often perform worse on 3rd gen iPad compared to iPad 2.

Perhaps you are confused because Apple has stopped putting numbers on their iPads, much like how they don't put numbers on their laptops. It is just the current model. I do wonder though how they will differentiate when the next iteration comes out, assuming they would still sell 3rd gen models at reduced prices.

This is all unrelated to the iPad mini.

If you go into a restaurant, order a meal and wait like 2 hours when they told you it would be made in 30 min
    Would you not complain ?

The analogy is not the same.

To not play a game (however good) does not deprive me of anything as I can do other things.

A restaurant has promised a service from the point I sit down. A game promises a reasonably bug free experience from starting the game. If it's too buggy, the release grumbles will quickly become bug grumbles. If the game is not available, it just isn't.
    It's a service, like any other.

Games are not art imo, but there are many who disagree...

They promissed the game in november, its december, so yeah, there's a fault.

Pressure is inevitable.

No, game development is not a service in the same way as the restaurant. By entering the restaurant and being seated, the restaurant has already accepted you as a customer and must provide you a service. Game publishers have no obligation to us until we buy a copy of their game. That is the beginning of them providing a service to us. Unless we are talking about Kickstarter. There you can embrace your sense of entitlement.

Targets dates for software are not promises.

Missed target dates are always egg on the face. But in cases like this, there is really nothing for us to get indignant about unless we just really enjoy feeling superior or like raging when we don't get what we want.
  • BG2BG2 Member Posts: 19
    They did not "promise" the game in November. It was an estimate in good faith, subject to change, and they made it clear that it was as such.
  • UlliamUlliam Member Posts: 4
    davemo said:

Has the 3rd generation iPad ever been called the "iPad HD" by Apple? The iPad 4 he is talking about is the 4th generation iPad. The 3rd and 4th gen iPads actually no longer have numbers. As others have said, the 4th gen has a better processor (A6) while the 3rd gen's processor is a bit underpowered for the number of pixels with the A5. My understanding is that graphics intensive games often perform worse on 3rd gen iPad compared to iPad 2.

Perhaps you are confused because Apple has stopped putting numbers on their iPads, much like how they don't put numbers on their laptops. It is just the current model. I do wonder though how they will differentiate when the next iteration comes out, assuming they would still sell 3rd gen models at reduced prices.

This is all unrelated to the iPad mini.

Bit late and redundant are we? I never said Apple called it the iPad HD. iPad HD was a common name for it in the media.

I'm also not confused about anything other than why you chose to beat a dead horse after I had already acknowledged the fact that I was wrong and wasn't aware Apple released an updated version of the iPad 3.
  • Church_of_SharChurch_of_Shar Member Posts: 4
    App is submitted? WOO!! Awesome, my iPad is being delivered tomorrow. This game was the straw that broke the camels back for me, and pushed me over that decision line into getting one. Not my only reason mind, just the final one to make me buy the thing.

A side note: Shar is very pleased with all of the bickering and pointless anger in this thread, keep up the good work minions!
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Bigity said:

That's promising, dunno how long that usually takes though.

Provided Apple granted the expedite, anything from two to 48 hours.
    edited December 2012
    I believe they've used their expedite option on the rejected build, but from my understanding, Apple sometimes rushes approval despite the expedite option being used. From AAPL's perspective, BGEE is an important game to showcase the depth of iPad gaming, and I doubt they would hamstring themselves postponing it beyond the Dec 21 deadline. I would expect it to come online over the weekend, or during the next week at the latest.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    it's out guys, have fun! still waiting for mac :(
    Surely there must be one BG fanatic amongst the AAPL review crew...
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Finally!
  • trichoctrichoc Member Posts: 2
    Downloading now. Woot!
    Thanks for all the hard work fellas!
  • GalarfrGalarfr Member Posts: 4
    Some here should probably apologize. Thanks to the developers for their great work.
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    Grats to all iPad players! enjoy your copy and please keep us informed as to the performance and any issues We'd love to hear about them. I have a feeling this version will run as smooth as milk chocolate.
  • AlexBiAlexBi Member Posts: 31
    Yeeeee
    Bye bye "real" life...
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    CAN IT BE??? BOO HAS FAINTED.
    Thank You!!!! BEAMDOG!!!!!!
  • cojumkrcojumkr Member Posts: 8
    지린다!!!!!!
  • JJ_OkochaJJ_Okocha Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2012
    Hello,
    Somebody lаunched BGEE for iPad on iOS version 5.1.1? (in description iTunes "Requires iOS 6.0 or later)
    Work or not?
    Post edited by JJ_Okocha on
  • ChurchOfBooChurchOfBoo Member Posts: 82
    Downloading now. I knew I'd find out that it was out before they sent out the email - I have been stalking Trent's tweets and this forum! I have to leave for work in 20 minutes, ARGH! Not much work going to happen today, I think.
  • CaptDanCaptDan Member Posts: 8
    O.M.F.G.
  • CaptDanCaptDan Member Posts: 8
    I have until this thing downloads to finish my course work for this year...
  • VortexbladeVortexblade Member Posts: 10
    OH YEAH! Downloading now. Damn.. I have to go to work.. Oh well, got something to look forward too now :D
  • DretisDretis Member Posts: 3
    Doesn't work on iOS 5.1, so my iPad 1 won't run it. Now i'im sad