Skip to content

[v2.8] Sirene, a tiefling paladin of Ilmater NPC for BG:EE and SoD

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @rashkae Yes - at some point I accidentally replaced the c0reset.baf file with the BG2 version which is the reason why all the sounds are wrong. Should be fixed now.
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    I finished BG1 with Sirene and I really liked final dialogue and how she gave Charname some kind of red "bracelet". It will be really nice, if in BG2 there will be some dialogue about that too. Like, when Charname and Sirene will meet again after separated time, Sirene will appreciate that Charname still had it or something like that.
    And I must repeate myself - @Artemius_I you´re doing amazing work!
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    Ok, the Voice fix script now works, at least, in so far as it does not mix up all the audio, but the F/C variant still stops playing her select sounds. I did a bit of digging with Near Infinity, and I see that the c0sirefc.cre file has a number value in Sound: Select_common4 that has no index value when installed in game. I changed that to -1 (same as the c0sirene.cre) and that fixed the problem.
    Siege of Dragonspear content is underway.

Unlike BG1 and 2, in SoD a sufficiently charismatic PC can keep Sirene and Dorn in the same party! It'll be worth doing, trust me. Some of my favorite writing so far.

Two new items, one acquired from a rather tough fight:

• Saber83Saber83 Member Posts: 94
    I just installed this. Should also mention that thanks to @subtledoctor, the error I messaged you about is no longer a problem. Can't wait to meet her and I hope you finish BG2EE content soon.
    edited July 2016
    What do you people think of having the SoD-style banter, except without voicing for obvious reasons? I've found a way to imitate it, and because SoD companions don't have banter files I'd have to go through the difficult process of creating them for every party member if I used the vanilla BG style, but will you all be okay with overhead text without sound?
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    I believe NPCs shouldn't stand out and shout "I'm a character from a mod", so I guess head strings should be used in SoD NPC mods.
    If that would fit in best, then yeah, I agree with @LavaDelVortel.
    edited July 2016
    As a paladin, there will be certain evil choices that cause Sirene to turn hostile or leave the party permanently (however, she'll remain at the camp but refuse to join). It'd be very helpful if y'all pointed out additional evil situations. The situations I've done so far are the following:
    • Killing the dwarves of Dumathoin in cold blood (not if you fail to convince them about Coldhearth) - attack
    • Helping Tsolak kill the vampire hunters - attack
    • Helping Teleria petrify innocents - leave
    • Killing the good druids - attack
    • Killing Heldvar during the 'spy' quest at coalition camp - leave
    • Selling blackthorn cure to Waizahb - leave
    Situations I'm still neutral/unsure on:
    • Executing the sick in 'Uncommon Cure' - leave
    • Betrayal path at Bridgefort - unsure
    • Poisoning crusader food stock and water - unsure
    • Killing Rigah and Julann - unsure, possibly attack

Example of what happens if you piss her off:

Edit: cleaned up the post with better info.
    Post edited by TheArtisan on
    Can't wait for this to get done so I can have her in my party for SOD properly. Still busy with the main BGEE storyline, so still a ways to go.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Really, really stoked about this mod and the upcoming SoD content. I'm extremely picky about NPC mods and think you've struck an excellent balance here, fitting in something new while still matching the feel of the overall game.
    @redline Thank you. I try my best to remain true to the game's style, so if I've succeeded in that aspect, then that's great to hear.

For the curious, there will be some PID-accessed questions you can ask Sirene in SoD.

:D . I really can't wait. She is so far the most enjoyable mod NPC for BGEE I have played in a while. I am kind of dragging my heels waiting for SOD content to be released. Currently busy with TOTSC and then I have to continue the main game, but I don't know how long I'll be able to hold out. Please hurry! :)
    I hate writing for gnooooooomes... they're just so nonsensical, and my brain doesn't do nonsensical.
    translation: Glint banters are not as satisfying as I would have them. But I'm leaving them as is.
    Good news - SoD is now in a working state gameplay-wise. All writing is complete except for lovetalks and a few banters, which means release hopefully isn't too far off.
    Yes! Thank you! Can't wait.
    edited July 2016
    GOOD NEWS ALL - version 2.0 is now complete. This version fixes a few minor things and adds SoD content. Rejoice!

Now for the sorta-bad news - I have only done a speedrun test so far and cut a few corners to make sure all the content works due to not having the time to do a proper run. Because of this, I cannot ensure that everything is working as intended. I feel obligated to warn you all that SoD content is still tentative (because my god it is such a pain in the ass to script) and this version still counts as a beta. I can ensure BG1 content works perfectly (or at least, no worse than it used to). Everything else... not so certain.

Also bear in mind the writing may be... inconsistent. I blazed through the work I had left while I still had the time to finish. otherwise I'd have to delay it another month...

v2.0 beta contains the following changes:
    • Added content for Siege of Dragonspear
    • Minor changes to text
    • Brimstone now properly 'usable by tieflings'
    • Martyr ability scaling rebalanced
    • Martyr ability visuals improved
    • BG1-Sirene now increases in experience when joined to match the PC (up to 32,000XP)
    • PID is now disabled during combat
    • Temporarily disabled Fighter/Cleric alternate class until issues are ironed out
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I'm glad to see this is going so well! :)
    @shawne Thanks. There may be another update for the mod within a few days. If there's any issues so far I'd like to know them before another release.
    v2.0.1 - this is a very minor update, fixing one barely noticeable bug and adding a talk to the end of the Korlasz family crypt. If you've already passed that part, there's no real need to update.
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    @Artemius_I Great news; Are you still working on BG2 content? I can't wait to take Sirene through the entire trilogy, she is awesome.
    @ChorazyGlus Yes - unfortunately as I've changed the direction of the writing by making SoD content I may have to go back and rewrite a bit of the initial dialogue now. It might not take that much work but it does mean there will be a delay.
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    @Artemius_I Thanks, take your time, Sirene is one of the best NPC mods around already.
    Quick question. Can you install v2.0 over the previous version and carry on with a saved game with Sirene in the party, or do you have to start a new game?
    @Saber83 Uhh... I don't recommend it but theoretically it should work. If any text gets messed up there's a reset option in the PID. Just don't try it if you're already in SoD.
    Thanks. I did a clean install in any case, I just thought I'd ask. I was still busy with the original Baldur's Gate so it probably wouldn't have been a problem.
    v2.0.2 - Fixes a rather major bug which repeats a certain dialog and makes the PID inaccessible and probably messes over other dialogues as well. I highly recommend updating to this version.
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    I´ve got an idea for BG2, since I was browsing GibberlingsThree I saw nice NPC mod Amber. Could it be possible to make some kind of crossmod banters with this NPC, because she´s also Thiefling? Just a notion :wink:
    There are quite a few tiefling including mod NPCs. Haer'Dalis is already in the game naturally. Then there is the aforementioned Amber. If I remember correctly Fade is also a tiefling.