Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Back in the day if a cd required 3 or more cds to run it was considered epic indeed.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I traded up to the DVD version as soon as it was available. That one act alone probably gave me back years of my life :)
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    The No-Reload post is a living hell to me and my OCD. There should be a "gameplay" session on the forum where everyone could do a separate post for theirs runs.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Raduziel No-reload threads, where all the participants post about their attempts, have been the history of BG games for more than 10 years now. These threads have a long story, and old bioware threads always included posts from many participants. It's actually the very core of no-reload threads when different people post about their progress. It's the heart of it.

Anyway, you're always free to start a new thread about your own attempt(s), we have the https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/challenges-and-playthroughs subforum.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Although the "rogue rebalancing" mod gives blades proper 3 pps in two weapon fight, I would actually say that it would unbalance the kit, since true pnp blades cannot identify items ("legend lore") or sing to increase morale, while bg blades can (at a slower rate, nevertheless) .
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    SCS pre/instant buff gets me on nerves. It's like the game is cheating.

No Wizard would pre-buff himself with a short duration spell (like Minor Globe).
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    Raduziel said:

No Wizard would pre-buff himself with a short duration spell (like Minor Globe).

Unless they want to ambush you and expect trouble...

Although unrealistic in many situations, this particular option (as SCS will let you chose how to treat pre-buffs) may be attractive for players who wish to compensate for their meta game knowledge.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Raduziel said:

It's made so to counteract players' actions. In fact, many players (especially those using SCS) enter almost any harder than the easiest fight pre-buffed, which includes short duration spells like Minor Globe, DUHM or Chant. So an option to install prebuffs for enemies makes the game fair in these cases - pre-buffed partis fight against pre-buffed enemies.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    For the record, I wasn't referring to the pre-buffing but to the fact SCS can be extremely repetitive.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    lroumen said:

I rarely prebuff. it is not realistic.

I don't think this is unpopular since many, including myself, do this for both RP-reasons and meta-avoiding.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited September 2016
    @Abi_Dalzim

Depends. Realistically speaking, a mage wouldn't feel comfortable traveling without prepared spells and protections on.
    For example Stoneskin and Armor last quite a lot.

The same happens in PnP. Long-lasting buffs are cast at the start of the day or before facing any danger and once they've run out of spells, the party should rest.

It should be noted, that there are scrying spells in PnP to prepare you for any danger etc.
    Metagamed knowledge could be RPed as scrying and maybe even use the familiar to scout.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2016
    Raduziel said:

@Archaos, read from the start. This isn't about stoneskin. Why would a mage with a few spell slots be 'wasting' the spells with short duration without knowing there is imminent danger? It's of course unrealistic (but ofc SCS isn't meant to be realistic either).

Edit: ^- a mage who have to prepare for an average, 14 hour long day, that is.
    @Skatan
    Danger can be scouted or RPed as scrying, like I said. You could send your Thief or stealther to see what's beyond and the inform the party, so they can prepare accordingly.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Archaos said:

@Skatan
    Danger can be scouted or RPed as scrying, like I said. You could send your Thief or stealther to see what's beyond and the inform the party, so they can prepare accordingly.

You can do that, but the enemy mage probably won't have a thief working with them, and unless they expend a spell slot on Farsight or Wizard Eye, that shouldn't fly as an explanation either. And in the case of thief or wizard eye scouting, you, like them, should have a chance of detecting them with true seeing or the like, which makes things infinitely more complicated. Reciprocity, see how this works?
    edited September 2016
    @Abi_Dalzim

Not all enemies are mages but even those that are, wouldn't always expect someone to come to them.
    They're not scrying others in complete paranoia to see who's coming or not all the time.

The one that is traveling is the one that should be preparing in advance.
    There are also magical traps or spells in PnP that can inform if someone is coming to you.

Not sure if there's something similar in ADnD 2E but in 3E there's the Alarm spell, it's a 1st level spell and it lasts 2 hours/level.

Even in BG, enemies have abilities that the PCs don't. Specifically, Teleport or Teleport Without Error.
    How do enemy mages know that adventurers are coming? Alarm spell or equivalent of 2E.

And isn't instant pre-buffing already a thing the party members can do? It's called Contingency.
    It lasts for 1 day/level and it can be set to trigger with "Caster sees enemy".
    And multiple Contingencies can be set, since they last quite long.

A smart mage in DnD uses those tricks all the time. Alarm, Scrying, Contigencies, invisible or stealthed familiars etc.

In actual PnP, a high level mage goes beyond even SCS. They're using illusions, are flying, have contingencies to teleport to their fortress if it comes to that, dominated minions, summoning and binding outsiders for advice or help, plus other tricks.

You don't live to be a high level mage by spamming fireball as soon as you see an enemy, in the Realms.
    Post edited by Archaos on