Skip to content

Who's your favourite evil NPC?

LockLock Member Posts: 84
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Who's your favourite evil NPC from the original Baldur's Gate?
  1. Who's your favourite evil NPC?203 votes
    1. Edwin
      28.57%
    2. Eldoth
        0.99%
    3. Kagain
        5.42%
    4. Montaron
        5.42%
    5. Shar-Teel
        2.96%
    6. Tiax
        5.42%
    7. Viconia
      32.02%
    8. Xzar
      13.30%
    9. They all suck, butt-kicking for goodness!
        5.91%

Comments

• LockLock Member Posts: 84
    The Xzar and Montaron thread got me wondering..
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    Since there's no Korgan, I'll have to go with the other ill-tempered peck.
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    Edwin who else. Such biting sarcasm and superiority. Only Viconia comes closes.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Korgan should really have been an option. :) Failing that, I find Edwin's ego and ineptitude hilarious. :)
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Kagain. I like his world-weary resignation. And I love it when he gets grumpy because the party is being too good. "What were you thinking you bunch of chumps!"
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Eldoth, my favorite evil NPC to die by my hands.
  • ArchaonArchaon Member Posts: 24
    I like Montaron because he's the most realistic scummbag! :D
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    "Sleep lightly taskmaster." Lol.

But Edwin and Xzar are a close second, if not tied. They game's evil NPCs are all extremely well realized, actually. I get a kick out of them all.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Kagain: he's evil, but he's funny. 'for the love of money' (maybe I find it funny because I don't care about money that much myself, as long as I can pay my groceries).
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,551
    Viconia rules. That's it.
    Ah yes, my apologies Korgan lovers, I forgot the expansion added one more.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited September 2012
    Almost picked Viconia, but she wasn't my favorite on that list until BG2.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    In BG1 I would pick Xzar, in BG2 definitely Sarevok, and I am not a big fan of evil NPCs.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I expect a hivemind thread full of "TIAX RULES ALL".
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Tiax rules all!

(Honestly, he's a bad-ass NPC. People that don't see his value are missing out.)
    Looks like it's:

1. Viconia
    2. Edwin
    3. Xzar

... time for a new poll.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I need an ale.
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    Edwin always makes me giggle.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Viconia because she's hot.
  • cattlekillercattlekiller Member Posts: 55
    Tiax Rules!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I voted Xzar but uuughhh ... such a difficult choice!

I prefer Viconia come BG2. Because her romance is just incredible, and her personality is so very believable and all. You really get into it.

Kagain is funny and pretty realistic. I really liked that he was just some chill guy, instead of some high-strung dwarf obsessed with battle (*cough* Korgan *cough*). I bring him along pretty frequently, he's an epic fighter (regeneration!) and he is a fun personality.

Xzar has the best voice files in the entire series. Enough said. Just hysterical, and he really does seem mad; his lines really do seem to come from the mind of a crazy person. It's well done. On top of that, he plays pretty well in the game, as if you give him tomes you can dual him to Thief or Cleric if you wish.

I do love Edwin. He's fun. I wish BG2 had expanded more upon his personality; he's so stubborn it's obvious he's really not *that* bad of a guy, just very misguided. They brushed upon that with Alora but stopped there, which was unfortunate. On top of that, he is hands down the best wizard, of course.

And finally. Montaron is a fun guy too. Like Kagain, he's a stereotype-breaker in that he is an exceedingly violent halfing. Not exactly common. Great lines, and hilarious voice acting. On top of that he's a pretty powerful NPC.
  • RyknRykn Member Posts: 30
    To be honest even though the game clearly tells you she's evil she really isn't. She just needs a hug.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Bah... only 7 votes for Monty? You are so aaaaaagravating! It is disturbing to my demeanor!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I can't believe no one has said (or even mentioned) Shar-Teel, the man-hating, Amazonian. She's easily the best fighter in the game once you give her a Potion of Fortitude. I especially liked her low and high reputation comments. Putting her in the party with Eldoth always ensured good times.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    "Sleep lightly, taskmaster..."

A sociopathic halfling fighter/thief, who wouldn't love him.
    He's also the only NPC whose way of speaking is a complete mystery to me, I can't seem to copy it properly. Very frustrating.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2012
    I had the hardest time deciding who's top on my favorite evil character list.

My vote goes to Edwin, though.

My second would be Viconia, and honorable mention: Montaron, Xzar, and Tiax

Maybe it had something to do with the hoods..
  • mercyfulfate1988mercyfulfate1988 Member Posts: 43
    Toss up between Edwin and Viconia. I have to go with Edwin, however as the masochist in me likes to be insulted!
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    I informed Edwin he was leading the poll, but he told me to go bother someone else, because he's busy (the simian isn't realizing whom he's talking to. One day... one DAY...!).
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Xzar only because the developers went all good guy biased on us in BG2 and killed him off, possibly their most credible character to date.

For shame Bioware.
    For shame.

Viconia was second though.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    For BG1 Edwin takes the lead, with Viconia a close second. For BG2 they swap places.