Skip to content

What about Icewind Dale III

spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
Although it has (with good merit) been overshadowed by the Bhaal series I have a huge warm spot for both the Icewind Dale games and always imagine what Neverwinter Nights could have been if it used the same engine in a big city enviroment.

Everybody is talking about BG III as the next potential project but what are peoples thoughts on Icewind Dale? It carries less risk than jumping into the Bhaal saga and the plots are open to the point you are not as constrained by much but location to a degree. I'd love to have a huge explorable Luskan and travel the north/ten towns again with my mercenary/adventurer/missionary party while some undercurrent of evil is afoot!

Anybody else with me?
  1. What about Icewind Dale III80 votes
    1. Definitely!
      75.00%
    2. No way!
        2.50%
    3. Maybe!
      12.50%
    4. Gazebo?
      10.00%

Comments

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    The only option that matters.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Basically anything in the style of the IE games, set in the Realms, would be a purchase for me.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Only if they go back to 2E.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    If it has Gazebos! :wink:
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I only played IWD because it was 2E. I do not play on playing IWD2 nor would I bother with a IWD3 if it was not 2E.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    The only new content that would be 2E would be expansions and hell I would be fine with an IWD expansion instead.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    As long as it features saunas and Drizzt keeps the Baator out of it... sure, why not? Bonus points if its plot will have more to it than "hero party sets out to defeat the ancient evil". A more sandbox-like approach could be nice here, especially concerning neutral and evil parties.

In any case, I'd like to have IWD II:EE released first.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    As far as I know you can't make new games in old editions can you? Isn't the licensing such that they can only be made in the current edition?

How far can you push the 'It's an expansion!' line?

I'd be game for more Icewind Dale, your right that it does carry less risk but I don't see it being likely. I think Beamdog have their hearts set on BG3 first by the look of it.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    And there must be gazebos in it!
    There is no "rule" on what edition of rules can be used. WotC owns the rights to all D&D, so it comes down to what can be negotiated with them.
    WotC would of course have an interest in promoting the latest and greatest version of the rules; BUT, about a year ago they re-released the 1E and 2E books, along with a few classic supplements and modules.

So I think it would be perfectly reasonable for a smaller company like Beamdog to approach it as a chance to sell a Legacy type product. They could presumably develop something more cheaply if they could use an already fully developed game engine. So make that a virtue. Use either the 2E or 3E version of the engine that's already in place (of course I would vote for 2E!) and build a new adventure around it. If it is cross promoted with the Legacy rule books that are currently in print WotC might buy off on it.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    I guess, but I'd rather see some new locations.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    mlnevese said:

And there must be gazebos in it!

Nah... all the heavy snowfall and creeping ice would literally draw the curtain over any gazebo within Icewind Dale. Now, igloos on the other hand would fare much better under the embrace of Lady Frostkiss. And look much cooler to boot!
    dib said:

I guess, but I'd rather see some new locations.

Absolutely I want to see new locations! Just like they are currently doing for the BG series.

But I hope they will decide to use the OLD game engine. I would buy a NEW 2E game in a heartbeat. 3E or later probably not...
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I'd bee okay if it was 2e or 5e. I would prefer if it was less linear/more bg like.
  • OudynOudyn Member Posts: 74
    So tempted to select Gazebo. IWD3 sounds like something I'd buy and play, though IWD2:EE would be a priority. And BTW, Beamdog, if you do that one, PLEASE add Paladins of Freedom, Slaughter and Tyranny.

Side note aside, I think IWD3 sounds like a better idea than BG3. I'd buy it. 2e, 3e, 5e, Heck even 4e! (Though that one sounds like a nightmare in the infinity engine). I'd want a storyline and atmosphere more akin to IWD1.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I'd play it if it took the best elements from IWD2 and IWD1 , and were infinity engine like and isometric.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    IWD3 or even an add on to IWD2 - great series that seemed cut too short