Skip to content

E.T.A. for MacOSX version?

Comments

• ChurchOfBooChurchOfBoo Member Posts: 82
    I hear your pain. I really totally can't wait, I'm so excited, let's not let that excitement turn to impatience with the developers. I trust that the guys are doing their absolute best and don't want to keep us waiting. I also trust that if the game is late it's because there would have been some problem with it which would have annoyed us EVEN MORE than having to wait a bit longer than the PC-sufferers OOPS!! I MEAN 'users'... ;-)
  • onwardonward Member Posts: 1
    Nooooo but I have time off from work on the 18th and 19th! Could've been such an opportunity to get my BG on!
  • TacoheadTacohead Member Posts: 8
    Empire: Total War Gold Edition for the Mac was released yesterday (the 13th) and still isn't available in the Mac App Store as I type this. It has been available from several other places since yesterday. If Empire still isn't in the Mac App Store on Tuesday the 18th then I would say that doesn't bode well for Baldur's Gate being available same day as the PC version. I realize every situation is different and is also dependent on when a game is submitted to the Mac App Store but I'd be surprised if Feral Interactive (the publisher of Empire for the Mac) submitted it after the 9th (4 days before the release date). We are now four days before the release date of Baldur's Gate and I haven't seen any comment to suggest it has been submitted yet.

But once again every situation is different and I'm basically just guessing here. But even so I think it's safe to say "don't hold your breath" with this one. Maybe we'll be surprised though. We've waited this long though so what's another week? :-)

-PN
    Actually just apply my last post to the new November 30th release date. :-)

-PN
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    from Trent Osters twitter:
    "We are trying for one consolidated release day for all versions."
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Scooter said:

from Trent Osters twitter:
    "We are trying for one consolidated release day for all versions."

Good to hear and it doesn't surprise me. What I got from the delay was: We aren't comfortable with rushing a release this much, and we just need an extra 2-3 weeks to comfortably make it all ready. But November 30th was the day the original Baldur's Gate came out, so that would be cool to do. Plus, then since things would probably be ready a fair time before release, they can get it out there to Apple sooner and thus have a consolidated release date.

Thanks for posting that. Just my two cents on top of it.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    @TrentOster @PhillipDaigle: If they release it before the 21st of November, they can claim they released it in the 'Indian Summer' (although the weather in Europe is not looking like it...).
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    NO ETA for the Mac Version as of yet... They are working this weekend to get iPad version ready for expedited review Monday...
  • SornSorn Member Posts: 41
    :/ It's getting to the point where I'm about to give up, and get the Windows version to run in parallels.
  • tasslehofftasslehoff Member Posts: 9
    @sorn it's not a good idea since the opengl drivers of the intel graphic cards (that most of the macs have) on windows is pure crap, unless you've a nvidia it's better waiting for the osx version that I think (hope) will be the best platform to run the game on
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    I really...REALLY dont think you want it to be as buggy was the Windows version...or worse.
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    Yeah, without being able to configure game speed it's not really that much fun too play anyway. Hopefully that will be ironed out before the mac release.
  • bivbibivbi Member Posts: 96
    I have tested to play on VMWare with winXP on my MacBook Air 2012, no way to launch a game because of the intel graphic card... Such a bad thing. But i'm asking : why don't they put the .dmg on BeamDog to get both version at the same date. We don't care about the "Apple verification Process", we want to PLAY. And with that, we could get both version mac and windows for 20$.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    @bivbi unfortunately it was a stipulation of their contract that the game be in the MAS only. I agree, I would have much preferred it standalone.

If it's any consolation we wouldn't have gotten the game the same day anyway. There are still outstanding crash issues that need to be resolved.
    So sad T_T, at least when BGEE will be release on the app store it will work without issues (I hope).
    edited December 2012
    At this point I wouldn't expect the Mac version until the week of December 17 – 21. I'm taking into account the approval process for the Mac App Store. It's unfortunate but it's not the end of the world. We've waited this long already and the game may be a bit more polished by the time we get it because of it so I'm cool with it. That said it seems pretty silly at this point buying the PC version and trying to get it to work correctly with some sort of emulation solution. To each their own though.

-PN
    HAAAAAAAAAA Give me some RPG to play
  • psullipsulli Member Posts: 4
    So I would have to buy it twice to play it on my iPad and my Mac Book Pro? Or does the AppStore give me access from both?
    psulli said:

So I would have to buy it twice to play it on my iPad and my Mac Book Pro? Or does the AppStore give me access from both?

You'd have to buy it twice.
  • ethodenethoden Member Posts: 3
    psulli said:

You buy it twice, but the iPad version is only $10, minus all the new content.

ethoden said:

psulli said:

You buy it twice, but the iPad version is only $10, minus all the new content.

...and if you bring over a save with the extra content, it'll be there.
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    Use this time to read a book :) There are cornucopias of untouched literature enough to fill even the simplest of minds...
  • hizairahizaira Member Posts: 3
    Knoland said:

Use this time to read a book :) There are cornucopias of untouched literature enough to fill even the simplest of minds...

...ok mind is full......now where is the game ;)

• ElessarElessar Member Posts: 44
    I downloaded a different 90s game, Master of Orion II, for Mac from GOG and it's been working like a charm to eat up what would otherwise be BG time. Plus it hasn't crashed even once yet!
  • LCohen7LCohen7 Member Posts: 15
    Does Masters of Orion II work under OS X from GOG?
    LCohen7 said:

Does Masters of Orion II work under OS X from GOG?

Yes, I and II (you get them as a bundle).
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Elessar said:

I downloaded a different 90s game, Master of Orion II, for Mac from GOG and it's been working like a charm to eat up what would otherwise be BG time. Plus it hasn't crashed even once yet!

When did this become available for mac? Or are you using a bootcamp to run it?

Bg and moo2, be still my nostalgic heart.
    @Elessar it's part of GoG's recent push to port games to the mac. (They are just dosbox or scummvm wrappers, though.)
  • comatorycomatory Member Posts: 30
    With the development of things that we've been witnessing in November, I'd say BGEE for OS X will arrive some time in January. Sort of makes sense. I don't want to sound sour but it seems like iPad is their biggest priority right now (Christmas sales). They'll be lucky if they get the expedited review.
    Mac App Store approvals are usually two to three weeks so even if the iPad version gets out some time this week (and that's a big IF), the OS X version still needs some work and three week approval. Also there's outage from 21-28 (no approvals during that time) so I don't think we'll see BGEE this year.

I'd rather have a bug-free experience. Seems silly to run it via some sort of emulation and I don't feel like cluttering my computer with bootcamp install (I have a small system SSD).

Hey there are tons of other great games on Mac right now - Borderlands 2 are supposed to be out. For some old school RPGing I can recommend you Legend of Grimrock, it runs very nice on my 2011 11" Macbook Air via Wine (you can find working bottle at portingteam.com, copy from GOG works perfect).
    @Comatory Grimrock is coming to the Mac imminently BTW. I wish I'd picked it up for $4 during the recent sale; luckily the winter one is not too far off.
This discussion has been closed.