Skip to content

Faiths and Powers: Gods of the Realms (Kitpack and divine caster/spell tweaks)

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited October 2015
    Did not have time on Saturday. Are you able to post the table here? It seems that whenever I have time lately, I only have my phone and it doesn't handle documents so well
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'm in favour for an elemental summon. Or to be more precise: an elemental companion/familar. I imagine it being somewhat similar to the Bonded Summoner prestige class (i.e. it grows with levels, but the death of the elemental cripples the Elementalist). This would allow for a more unique roleplaying factor. At the same time this would make them different enough from mystics and arcane spellcasters alike.

Alternatively: rather than to shapeshift *into* elementals, the Elementalist could gradually *become* one. In a transformational kind of way not unlike of how AD&D's Greenwood Rangers become plant-like beings. Or how Dragon Disciples become half-dragons, for that matter.

Another possibility could be to give them power over hostile elementals; either by banishing, turning, or by temporarily controlling them.
    JuliusBorisov
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i'd give them a supah cool new skill:

"elemental attunement"
    - *once a day*, they can pick an element that will heal them for a short time (duration increases with level; earth=acid?)
    - during that time, they cast spells instantaneously, but can only cast spells of the corresponding element
    - cannot move or attack, ac and save penalty

and for the hlas "greater elemental attunement" (separate hla for each element)
    - can move and no penalty
    GrammarsaladJuliusBorisov
    bob_veng said:

i'd give them a supah cool new skill:

"elemental attunement"
    - *once a day*, they can pick an element that will heal them for a short time (duration increases with level; earth=acid?)
    - during that time, they cast spells instantaneously, but can only cast spells of the corresponding element
    - cannot move or attack, ac and save penalty

and for the hlas "greater elemental attunement" (separate hla for each element)
    - can move and no penalty

We can do the 'element heals'but not the 'only cast spells of element'thing. Still, wouldn't you cast a fireball benchers l centered on yourself? I would
    JuliusBorisov
    I believe if we set Resistance over 100% damage of that type will heal by a certain percent. I think. Eg if you have 150% fire Resistance, and get hit with 10 points of fire dam, you would heal 5
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    since disabling specific spells can't be done - maaaybe you could make it so that any cast spell automatically converts to a certain elemental spell (similar to how some mod recreates spontaneous casting of heals) as if the character becomes a beacon of raw elemental energy

so for example:
    for fire any spell gets cast as a 1d6 sunfire progressing by 2d6 per spell level (so from 3d6 up to 15d6)
    for air - chain lighting (also 3d6 - 15d6)
    for water it could be a 1d4+1 cone of cold + 3d4+3 per spell level (4d4+4, 7d4+7, 10d4+10 up to 22d4+22)
    for earth it could be the iwd acid storm - 1 round + 2/sp.level (3-15)

the ability would only have a short duration, maybe 1 round + 1 every three levels

and the hlas could then add bonus percentage to a type of elemental damage (only during the ability however + maybe allowing movement)

too complicated? :blush:

and elemental transformations could be the other "branch" of hlas, so it'd be a pretty versatile class
    bob_veng
    edited October 2015
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    KamigoroshiGrammarsaladJuliusBorisovCahir
    is fate really an aspect of the "natural world" (we're talking d&d, i know...)?
    imho time mystic would be more appropriate

also, the nature mystic is a bit suspect for me because mystics already draw power from prime aspects of nature. so it's a bit of a pleonasm: all mystics are in essence "nature" mystics
    judging by the description, he might better be called life mystic...but druids are actually life mystics, or at least that's how i see it
    [Deleted User]
    edited October 2015
    IllustairJuliusBorisov
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    If only BG mods on iPad are possible without jailbreaking. Sigh. Anyway, a big wow on this! I wonder though if this would work with IWDEE. Through BG, I can ordinarily select only one for my protagonist, and I want to try as much as I can here. Well there's the BP; but while good on its own, leveling up happens so fast that it might spoil the fun out of this mod. I want to savor the experience if you get what I mean
  • I like the look of the Cleric of Tymora. I've never dual-classed a Cleric into a Thief before, but that innate luck might be enough to get me to try it out.

Abilities:
    - Luckriders are innately lucky, receiving the effects of the Luck spell permanently.
    - May cast Doom innately once ber day at 1st level, and once more for each 5 levels of experience after that.
    - May cast an area-of-effect Luck spell innately once per day at 3rd level, and once more for each 6 levels of experience after that.
    - May cast Greater Malison innately once per day at 6th level, and once more for each 6 levels of experience after that.

Doom and Greater Malison really are more fitting for Beshaba's doctrine. Given that Tymora has no connection towards misfortune and bad luck in any way. As such, I feel other abilities would fit Luckriders much better. Be it new Tymoran spells, higher reputation, or additional saving throw bonuses. Maybe even some pseudo-bard song, since she's the main deity of Harpers.
    I know the first release won't cover all of the Faerûnian pantheon. But that doesn't mean there's no place for Beshaba in futher updates. If I remember correctly, @Grammarsalad plans to include as many deities as possible.

Currently, the layout of the Luckrider reminds me more of Tyche's clerics - being the mother of Beshaba and Tymora (thus uniting fortune and misfortune). However ever since the "birth" of her twin daughters, Tyche ceased to exist. Granting Tymora's followers power over curses and misfortune really goes against Forgotten Realm's lore as a whole imho. If possible, I'd like to avoid something like that.
    [Deleted User]
    edited October 2015

are "good luck" and "bad luck" really broad enough categories to maintain a whole god's sphere of influence? When your enemy trips over his shoelaces and falls on his face, that is bad luck for him, but isn't it also good luck for you?? It's two sides of the same coin... just like Tymora and Beshaba are two sides of the same Tyche coin.

You have answered your own question: Tymora and Beshaba are two opposite sides of "luck". They don't mix with each other. Just like the portfolios of Shar and Selûne are like water and oil.

Of course the lore is the lore is the lore... but more importantly, this is a game with only so many opcodes and only so many combat situations. How could you code up an ability that makes your allies spells succeed more often? In PnP you can have a saving throw modifier be applied on the fly as a characteristic of a spell or ability being cast, or a characteristic of the spellcaster. But in the IE engine, the *target* of a spell rolls a saving throw, so the only possible way to affect that roll is to affect the *target* with an effect. That's why my modded Enchanter kit, to simulate being more powerful casting Enchantment spells, actualy causes all nearby enemies to suffer a save penalty. It's the only way to make that work.

So an effect like the Greater Malison spell is, functionally, changing the odds of rolls related to your allies' spells, in your allies' favor. That's a "good luck" ability if ever I saw one. Like I say, we can certainly change the description of the ability to describe it as a bonus for allies rather than a penalty for enemies. Under the hood, there's no difference.

BUT I don't mean to be defensive about this stuff. I am more than willing to discuss it and hear suggestions and change things. Just keep in mind that a) innate Greater Malison is already coded up and working right now, and b) I have almost zero free time, so any suggestions that are difficult to code, no matter how great they are, will probably not happen. ("Unfortunately" :tongue: )

Again, there are many other possibilities than to curse/hex/doom enemies. Tymora's specialty priests ("Luckbringers"), for example, can raise one die rolls of any type. Then there are the deity specific spells, as well a peculiar luck bonus of sorts.

Your Luckrider already got permanent Luck, so there's not much else needed for the sub-kit itself. Like I said before, it would make more sense to save things like Doom/Greater Malison for Beshaba's "Doommasters". Worthy replacements would be something akin to Emotion: Hope or Emotion: Courage. Gamblers hope for a big win after all, just like the clergies of Tymora do.
  • are "good luck" and "bad luck" really broad enough categories to maintain a whole god's sphere of influence? When your enemy trips over his shoelaces and falls on his face, that is bad luck for him, but isn't it also good luck for you?? It's two sides of the same coin... just like Tymora and Beshaba are two sides of the same Tyche coin.

You have answered your own question: Tymora and Beshaba are two opposite sides of "luck". They don't mix with each other. Just like the portfolios of Shar and Selûne are like water and oil.
    If I take out a coin, see heads, and turn it over to see tails, do I have two coins? If two concepts are "two sides of the same coin" that necessarily implies that they are in actuality one whole, just with aspects facing in opposite directions. Furthermore, they are inseparable, as you can't have a one-sided coin. I'm with the good doctor; one person's fortune is their enemy's misfortune, and it makes more sense to use an already coded effect, even if you have to reflavor it as a very localized luck bonus ("Tymora grants her follower the ability to get in lucky spellcasts against enemies in the immediate vicinity").
    edited October 2015
    Illustair
  • fataljasminefataljasmine Member Posts: 17
    Have you considered adding Kossuth? The greater elemental fire god's faith is huge in Thay, and having a fire-themed cleric would be awesome.
    Are HLAs already on paper? Will there be unique HLAs to a particular kit? Any chance we'll see the greater wolfwere form?
    I think u have a bit too catch up on. RL is not being very nice to me. It is winter break yet :P

Only have a moment
    Illustair said:

Are HLAs already on paper? Will there be unique HLAs to a particular kit? Any chance we'll see the greater wolfwere form?

I'm very interested in doing Hla's. There is a ton of material, and it may be possible for each kit to have it's own unique hla... But, that is a lot of work, and I don't want to promise what I can't deliver. Hlas will not be in the first release in any case.
    Illustair
    It's good enough that they are being taken into consideration, thanks. But a few new generic HLAs would be nice, if not just to give us a taste of it