Skip to content

Music

Did you ever listen to other music while playing Baldur's Gate? I found Lord of the Rings soundtrack to be immensely effective for certain moments and battles. I also used that song that plays when sh*t goes down in Django Unchained (the Tupac/James Brown mashup) on repeat when I faced Demogorgon for the first time (gave the same badass dramatic effect as in the movie).

What kind of music do you listen to, if anything other than the original soundtrack?

Comments

• johnpaul88johnpaul88 Member Posts: 18
    You probably all listen to metal or whatever right, for some reason I always notice a consistent connection between people who like fantasy and rpgs and a preference for metal music esp. like Scandinavian metal. Never quite figured that one out.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I like to listen to podcasts myself. I'm not really a music person. :)
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Well, I do enjoy myself some fantasy power metal. Especially when it happens to have Christopher Lee as a Narrator. I normally listen to the game's music, though. I only listen to outside music when I'm playing MMOs or other online games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6hL78so9c
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

You probably all listen to metal or whatever right, for some reason I always notice a consistent connection between people who like fantasy and rpgs and a preference for metal music esp. like Scandinavian metal. Never quite figured that one out.

Metal is simply one of the more versatile genres of music out there. You could even say there's a subgenre for every character class in the IE games;

For Barbarians, Berserkers and Skalds there's Viking metal.
    Druids, Rangers and the upcoming Shaman would feel right at home in the woodlands with a Celtic Folk metal band following their tracks.
    For Mages, Sorcerers and Bards there's Power metal as @Vallmyr posted above.
    Paladins may feel some fulfillment with Christian metal... probably.
    Assassins and Blackguards could perhaps do better in their occupation when listening to Melodic Death metal.
    The Swashbucklers can live out their "arr" outbursts with Pirate metal.
    Clerics and Monks may be at peace with Symphonic metal. Or, unexpectually, turn out to be into Heavy metal... like this monk;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ap3sIaLNYM
    ... ect.

Well, in the end it's all a matter of taste. :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    No, I have never listened to other music while playing Baldur's Gate.

Not only do I like the music of the game, I find essential to hear all the sounds of the game because it helps to react better to what is going on. And if I don't hear those sounds (especially taking into account that I play with the SCS mod and thus any spellcaster starting to cast a spell is a danger), I'm gonna have a bad time...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    The only game where I regularly listened to my playlist instead of the in-game music was Civilization IV, and that's just because it was easy to switch the music in-game, and I've got a better collection of "world music" than they do. :smile:
    Nice answers! I listen to fast rock music when I play Unreal Tournament or War Thunder - or sometimes just exclusively Death From Above 1979. But yeah I found I just really enjoy creating even more cinematic drama whenever I can. Even if a character has died for example, I would play a slow emotional song to match the moods of my characters. I get right into it!
    So what is the SCS mod like, @bengoshi ?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I usually listen to satellite radio when I play the EE games, if you have it online it only costs 4 dollars a month, so I like to use it as often as possible
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

So what is the SCS mod like, @bengoshi ?

The SCS mod is a mod that enhanced the AI greatly, so that enemies begin to behave much more logical. They begin to use their strengths, mages and cleric use their spells properly, different creatures become more dangerous in their abilities.

You can read about this mod and download it here: http://www.gibberlings3.net/scs/

Read https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43213/full-run-with-scs for people's views on the mod.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I don't even like metal, so no I don't listen to it.

I tend to listen to orchestra, and or hip hop..

Illogic's chiseled master piece when talking to Viconia

Vinnie Paz's or techn9ne's fear same story when moments of Gorion comes up.

Techn9ne's blacken the sun whenever I fight Irenicus

And so on.