Skip to content

You know, it's going to be rather depressing

Playing with certain characters who you just know are going to get offed right when BG2 starts.
Kinda makes getting new dialogue and all with them rather... morbid and futile when you already know their ultimate, unavoidable fates.
I never got the fetish BG2 seemed to have with killing a bunch of npcs from BG1, without giving you any choice in the matter.
I'm glad most of my evil party doesn't suffer from this, what with Edwin, Viconia and Dorn all happily surviving the entire saga. But the supposedly "canon" good party, oh well...

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Fetish? Also, a BG2 spoilers warning might be good form.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Do we need to avoid BG2 spoilers in the Siege of Dragonspear forum? With a game this old, it's hard to remember there might actually be new players checking out SoD who don't know anything about BG2 and don't want to.

Anyway, the characters who die in BG2 are among my favorites from BG1, so I've also always kind of disliked Bioware's decision to do that. Getting to spend more time with them in SoD will be bittersweet, but nice. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "depressing", although I see your point, @RedWizard .
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100

Do we need to avoid BG2 spoilers in the Siege of Dragonspear forum? With a game this old, it's hard to remember there might actually be new players checking out SoD who don't know anything about BG2 and don't want to.

Anyway, the characters who die in BG2 are among my favorites from BG1, so I've also always kind of disliked Bioware's decision to do that. Getting to spend more time with them in SoD will be bittersweet, but nice. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "depressing", although I see your point, @RedWizard .

Well, there are people who have not played the Baldur's Gate games yet, I for one haven't played Baldur's Gate 2. I did start it, so I know of at least 2 characters dying from previous game, but I only did the Ierenicus dungeon and didn't continue playing. I was going to finish that playthrough when Siege of Dragonspear was announced and I decided to wait for it before playing BG2.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838

Xan, is that you? :D

This was my first impression as well
  • WinterisleWinterisle Member Posts: 111
    You mean that the NPCs that don't appear in BG2 (Kagain, Yeslik, Shar-Teel etc) are actually dead? I supposed they just wandered off...
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    I mean the ones that appear and get explicitely killed in BG2.
    A lot of them don't appear and aren't mentioned at all, their fates are left unknown.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Raise Dead, Resurrection, Reincarnation, Wish, etc. etc. It's a magic land. No need to be sad! Turn that frowny face upside down and look on the bright side. Maybe Khalid will be reincarnated as a brash halfling lass with blonde locks and a ready smile. You never know! ;)
  • laeknirlaeknir Member Posts: 58
    I'm actually really looking forward to learning what happens, in the lead-up to being captured by Irenicus. It's like a secret that we finally get to know after more than a decade.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    kcwise said:

Raise Dead, Resurrection, Reincarnation, Wish, etc. etc. It's a magic land. No need to be sad! Turn that frowny face upside down and look on the bright side. Maybe Khalid will be reincarnated as a brash halfling lass with blonde locks and a ready smile. You never know! ;)

I can see the mod: Irenicus reincarnates him, maybe for more...experiments.... The ready smile? She has multiple personality disorder now, and 'the flirt' is in control.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2015
    I never missed Khalid or Dyna in BG2, nor do I fear to see what happens to some NPC's in SoD. Like others said above, I look forward to see what happens even though it will not be the "intended" story since it's not the same writers. Maybe there were never any real thought put into it (from Bioware I mean, while creating BG2) at all and they just killed off a couple of NPC's for fun, I dunno.

I think it would be a funny plot twist if CHARNAME was the one killing off Khalid. Maybe Irenicus 'forced' CHARNAME to choose a friend to kill, Imoen or Khalid, to try to awaken CHARNAME's chaotic side? That would have been quite intrigueing and make both your relation with Imoen and Jaheira quite interresting.

Edit: clarification.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Skatan said:

I think it would be a funny plot twist if CHARNAME was the one killing off Khalid. Maybe Irenicus 'forced' CHARNAME to choose a friend to kill, Imoen or Khalid, to try to awaken CHARNAME's chaotic side? That would have been quite intrigueing and make both your relation with Imoen and Jaheira quite interresting.

Well... That'd certainly be one way to throw a wrench in the Jaheira Romance...
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

Skatan said:

Well... That'd certainly be one way to throw a wrench in the Jaheira Romance...
    It's a love/hate relationship.
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    Skatan said:

I never missed Khalid or Dyna in BG2, nor do I fear to see what happens to some NPC's in SoD. Like others said above, I look forward to see what happens even though it will not be the "intended" story since it's not the same writers. Maybe there were never any real thought put into it (from Bioware I mean, while creating BG2) at all and they just killed off a couple of NPC's for fun, I dunno.

I think Beamdog has access to the old design documents and they know what Bioware intended as the encounter where you get caught by Ierenicus.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    I have played BG2 so many times over the years that I am completely immune to the Khalid scene and the description of Dyanheir's death from Minsc.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I'm actually kind of hoping that Dynaheir has an alternative motive, and that could be one of the reasons she was offed by Irenicus... Most of us know she was in the area because of alaundo's prophecies. I found it a little interesting that Irenicus left Jaheira and Minsc alive when he was only interested in Imoen and CHARNAME.

Of course perhaps he was going to experiment on Jaheira and Minsc as well... And how DID Imoen escape her cell anyways? Thieving abilities?
  • Spaceman_SpiffSpaceman_Spiff Member Posts: 40
    My personal guess is that Khalid was being tortured for information when he finally expired in Irenicus' dungeon. Jaheira seemed surprised at finding his body meaning that when CHARNAME was captured, he was still alive and well (unless he was captured earlier and also brought to chateau Irenicus... that BG2EE reference to Bridgefort maybe?). As for Dynaheir, I too suspect that she's hiding some details of her mission when you first meet her. Perhaps she was sent to investigate the rise of a Bhaalspawn in that region as per Alaundo's prophecy and decided to keep an eye on CHARNAME by joining him.

Jon, who had been experimenting with soul stealing/swapping in a bid to rid himself and his sister of the curse placed on them by Ellissime must have heard of the prophecy/your exploits (especially if you somehow lifted the siege on Dragonspear) and decided that being of a divine nature, your soul was much likelier to survive the transfer process (unlike the other pitiful results we see in the chateau at the start of BG2) and probably collaborated with drow (alluded to in the opening movie) to enact you capture. I think the fact that Minsc/Jaheira were spared was probably due to them not having anything useful to torture out of.. or to use as incentive to get CHARNAME to collaborate in whatever nefarious experiments he had in store for us... It'll be interesting how the Imoen storyline progresses in SoD and why she'll be unavailable for the majority of the game.. does she get captured separately? Or is she taken away at the start of SoD to use as ransom to get CHARNAME to participate in the siege.. sort of like how she's taken by the Cowled Wizards at the start of BG2 to drive the plotline forward. So many questions!
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    On the first dialogue with Imoen, she says to CHARNAME that "We were near Baldur's Gate when we got jumped" so we already know that they got captured at the same time and place. I imagine that applies to Minsc, Dynaheir, Jaheira and Khalid as well.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Natreg said:

I think Beamdog has access to the old design documents and they know what Bioware intended as the encounter where you get caught by Ierenicus.

Ooh, I didn't know that! Interresting indeed!
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Skatan said:

Natreg said:

Ooh, I didn't know that! Interresting indeed!
    Not to mention some of the Beamdog team were on the Bioware team that made the game in the first place (and know what they intended for the story).