Skip to content

Do you know what day it is today?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
Today is the 15th anniversary of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.

It was released on September 24, 2000.

The game has sold more than two million units. I'm happy to say I've been playing it for all these fifteen years, and I'm still hungry for more!

Hamsters and BG fans everywhere, rejoice!

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I remember it being released. My buddies and I were slightly excited at the time...

Fun fact, I completed BG2 before I completed BG1 (Horc Berserker FTW)
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    It's thursday. hth
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I pre-ordered the special edition that came with the bonus disk (it contained the two special merchants). I still have all the original disks and manual but I am not certain I still have the box and map. If I do, they are in a box in the garage.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    <3
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I still remember buying the red collector's edition of Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn on a whim. It pretty much had all of the items in OP's photo, plus the extra merchants and a M-sized t-shirt. A damn shame the shirt didn't survive the last decade.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Happy birthday, SoA!
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    SoA is now older than I was when I played it.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    So I've played BG2 for about 60% of my lifespan...

Life well spent!
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I remember playing on dial up and joining a clan where my test was to fight a paladin PC with my Sorcerer PC. I didn't do so well.

Ahh memories.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Iirc, by the time I got SoA, I ended up getting ToB at the same time.

To this day, I've only beaten ToB once, and only I think 3 complete SoA runs.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Back in the days when I had no internet, there was the NPC appears busy bug. Had to literally scour every gaming magazine to find a patch. Only to get annoyed at how "hard" battles were due to charm and fear. Little did I know those are countered by literally EVERYTHING.

Then again, my bigger battles are essentially >Cast spell, pray to RNGeesus, get loot< nowadays. Breach is still overpowered.