Skip to content

Strange Indecipherable Writing in Easthaven Homes

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
Doing another IWD:EE playthrough... I've always been curious what the writing on the walls of a couple of the Fisherman's huts is. Did I miss an explanation of that in a manual or something somewhere? Possibly writings from the Ice Hunters in the area, or Barbarian language? Just grasping at straws a bit. Lol.
Post edited by HaHaCharade on

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Just another dead end, methinks.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Looking at it, the resolution isn't good enough to really make them out. I was hoping they used something recognizable like Norse or Tolkien runes.

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    BillyYank said:

Looking at it, the resolution isn't good enough to really make them out. I was hoping they used something recognizable like Norse or Tolkien runes.

This might just be me, but I like it when creators make their own cultures for their settings, rather than borrow from the cultures of other settings or the real world. Of course, getting ideas from the real world has to be done to some extent (for example, in order for us to understand the language that is spoken), but I don't like when it's done more than necessary.
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    Well atleast three of them bear a very slight resemblance to handwritten Katakana (Japanese), but it's probably just coincidence. Specifically i'm referring to ノ (no) ツ (tsu) and リ (ri)

BillyYank said:

This might just be me, but I like it when creators make their own cultures for their settings, rather than borrow from the cultures of other settings or the real world. Of course, getting ideas from the real world has to be done to some extent (for example, in order for us to understand the language that is spoken), but I don't like when it's done more than necessary.
    Yes, but if it were recognizable, I might have been able to read it.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I always wondered if some of the homes were actually formally apart of another settlement and the Ten Towns just expanded into it... but that doesn't make much sense since Barbarians, Ice Hunters, etc. would most likely live in non-permanent structures.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    joluv said:
    Them sneaky bastards are everywhere. Hrothgar even has a head on the wall, and that head... the head knows. It sees all... The conspiracy is *on*!
    I wonder if this was supposed to be one of Behlifet's minions, but it just never got developed. The woman in the house has the standard Townswoman script and dialog.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    He does seem to be someone with strong mind-control, so it might as well be, especially due to what he did in Lower Dorn's Deep.

Another alternative could be Yxunomei's doing in some sort of way, though it seems unlikely, as there's no real proof of her activity and/or presence in the region.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644

joluv said:
    Them sneaky bastards are everywhere. Hrothgar even has a head on the wall, and that head... the head knows. It sees all... The conspiracy is *on*!
    Ha, and then there's the strange hermit conspiracy.... Maybe the Hermit made the writings as well?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/37352/spoiler-the-strange-old-hermit-kuldahar-pass#latest