Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    edited December 2016
    You can "export selection to file" and "import selection from file" in the Options menu at the upper left of the "choose mods/components" view.
  • DeltharisDeltharis Member Posts: 124
    OMG, this is a clickable menu! I've used this tool in like 5 installations and never noticed that! Thank you.
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    edited December 2016
    @agb1 There is this annoying bug in BWS where it tries to re-download several mods even though the newest versions are already present (Sandrah mods, TDDz, ..)
    The worst part is that it starts to download them to the same location and thus overwrites the existing file so if you cancel the download all is gone.

Edit: Another bug: The BWS claims "setup-NTotSCv171.tp2" doesn'T exist and it can't patch it even though the file is present in its mod folder.

WARNING: file "setup-NTotSCv171.tp2" does not exist (this is the file targeted for patching in "SETUP-NTOTSCV171.TP2.PATCH" in "Big World Fixpack/NTotSCv171"). This might mean you did not extract all of the files of the mod, or it might mean that the patches for this mod were made for a different version of the mod than the version that you are using (you would see this message if the version you are using moved or renamed the tp2 file).

Do you want to try to apply other patches for this mod anyway? If a target file is different from the original file that was used to create a patch, the patch might fail completely (making no changes) or it might fail partially (making some changes) or it might succeed with "fuzz" (if all of the lines to change are still in the file, but some other lines were added in between). If partial patching occurs, the mod might fail to install or manifest other problems later. If in doubt, please visit one of the modding forums and ask for help.

[Enter Y if you want to try patching anyway, anything else to skip patching this mod.]

Debug log if you tell BWS to try patching anyway:

[Enter Y if you want to try patching anyway, anything else to skip patching this mod.]

processing fixes from Fixpack folder "BiG_World_Fixpack/NTotSCv171"

copying files ...
    Creating 1 directory
    Copying 1 file ...
    Copying 1 file ...

! BiG_World_Fixpack\_utils\patch.exe -p0 -f --verbose --no-backup-if-mismatch --ignore-whitespace < "BiG_World_Fixpack/NTotSCv171/bAR4300.baf.patch" | BiG_World_Fixpack\_utils\tee.exe -a "_ApplyPatches_verbose.log"
    Hmm... Looks like a unified diff to me...
    (Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
    The text leading up to this was:
    --------------------------
    |--- NToTSCv171\bcs\bAR4300.baf Sun May 11 13:50:46 2008
    |+++ NToTSCv171\bcs\bAR4300.baf Thu Jan 28 14:37:06 2016
    patching file 'NToTSCv171\bcs\bAR4300.baf'
    Using Plan A...
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 1.
    done

! BiG_World_Fixpack\_utils\patch.exe -p0 -f --verbose --no-backup-if-mismatch --ignore-whitespace < "BiG_World_Fixpack/NTotSCv171/Setup-NTotSCv171.tp2.patch" | BiG_World_Fixpack\_utils\tee.exe -a "_ApplyPatches_verbose.log"
    Hmm... Looks like a unified diff to me...
    (Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
    can't find file to patch at input line 3
    Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
    The text leading up to this was:
    |--- setup-NTotSCv171.tp2 2008-12-31 20:02:51.274375000 -0500
    |+++ Fixpack/setup-NTotSCv171.tp2 2016-11-18 20:30:32.337581700 -0500
    No file to patch. Skipping patch.
    Hunk #1 ignored at 4.
    Hunk #2 ignored at 16.
    Hunk #3 ignored at 35.
    3 out of 3 hunks ignored
    done
    Appending to files ...
    Post edited by Ulb on
  • FeydFeyd Member Posts: 9
    Hey, quick question about the BWS, I hope it hasn't been asked too many times before.

I've only noticed recently that certain mods don't appear on the selection list even though they are already registered. The "Fade" mod for example cannot be checked anywhere under "choose mods and components" but seems to be there when browsing the "administration > manage mods" section. Any idea as to why ?
    @Ulb - Not sure about the download issues. Can you upload the Downloads log file from BiG World Setup\Logs (or from the Big World Debug.7z / Big World Upload.7z archive in your game folder, if you completed the install)?

The NToTSCv171 patch should be removed automatically now for EE installs. It's not needed for the version of NToTSC used with EE.

@Feyd - A lot of mods, Fade included, are not compatible with the Enhanced Edition Trilogy yet. If you provided the folder path for both BG1EE and BG2EE, BWS will only present mods that are EET compatible. Put a single dash "-" for the BG1EE folder path if you only want to install BG2EE mods (without EET).
    Ok thanks for the quick answer, figured it might be because of EET but I wasn't sure.
    Although it isn't being actively maintained, this forum thread is a good source of info about EET compatible mods. Just be sure to read to the end, as the original post is out of date.
    Well, that never happened before. I think I broke SCS installation somehow. I thought I could continue through accepting not having some compontents installed, but Smarter Mages is a pretty serious component here. Did I do something wrong? Or did I stumble on a yet-unmarked mod conflict/error?
    BG2EE, no EET, Steam version.

Also, I think the window for user input wasn't showing what it should have - It ended it's display on two "ERROR" lines, but wasn't showing the text connected with what can I do to proceed (]r],[c],[e] prompt).
    @Deltharis - looks like maybe a new conflict. Can you attach the mxsplbrd.2da file from your override? The most significant SCS install error seems to be in a macro in caster_shared.tph that reads that file.
    edited December 2016
    @agb1 Sure. Packed, because .2da is not allowed as attachment.

One thing I see there - it's line ends are only LF not CRLF like all the other 2da files in the vicinity
    @Deltharis - I think the problem is that SCS macro wasn't coded expecting a column to exist but have a zero in every row (as in the 9th level spells column in your 2da table). I've added a patch to the BiG World Fixpack for SCS to handle this situation (two lines added to stratagems/caster_shared/caster_shared.tph):

OUTER_FOR (i=1;i<=macro_level_num;i+=1) BEGIN
    + ACTION_IF (VARIABLE_IS_SET $spell_level_to_caster_level(~%macro_type%~ ~%i%~)) BEGIN // if mxspl???.2da has an empty column (all zeroes), variable will not be set
    OUTER_SET temp=$spell_level_to_caster_level(~%macro_type%~ ~%i%~)
    OUTER_SET $caster_level_to_spell_level(~%macro_type%~ ~%temp%~)= ~%i%~
    + END
    END
  • BlandingsBlandings Member Posts: 7
    Hi - this program is amazing. I cant believe I used to do this manually - should have tried BWS yeas ago - would have saved me many many days' worth of time!

I started a new EET game and have encountered a bug that I think is related to BG1NPC mod. After clearing the naskel mine and exiting into the map with all the tombs, Minsc goes into a repetitive loop saying "Go then - Boo will tell Minsc if you try that again and I will come after you". He keep saying it over and over every few seconds. He is directing that at Jaheira - if I move her away from his line of sight, he stops saying it.

Not sure how to get around this other than kicking him out (or jaheira out). I've removed Dynaheir (after rescuing her) and also Khalid from the party. I have the component that allows pairs to separate I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to keep Minsc in the party if at possible - I want to do a full EET run with the same party.
    I'm away from my compute but here is how I would solve that:

- Google "Near Infinity" and obtain the latest GitHub release (a Java program - NearInfinity.jar - will be the sole contents of the zip package)

- Run NearInfinity.jar - from the menus, open game .. Select the chitin.key file in your BG2EE/EET game directory.

You are now viewing the (modded) game files. You want to find the particular line of dialogue that is repeating, look at the trigger conditions that cause it (almost certainly a particular value for some global variable) and then use the console to change that global value.

Since Minsc is initiating dialogue whenever Jaheira is in view, you can infer that some script contains a section/block that is continually firing. There are only a few scripts that are active at any given time:

The current area where your party is standing may have a script (usually areaname.bcs, eg ar0602.bcs), which is active only while you are in that area. If Minsc keeps chasing Jaheira even if you move to a different area, you can rule out the area script.

Minsc himself has an "override" script that runs continuously as well. This is usually where you will find script blocks that cause him to initiate dialogue. So looking at Minsc's script (which you can find by navigating to Minsc in your saved game file and then drilling down to his override script) and looking at script blocks that contain StartDialogue and have a See("Jaheira") in the triggers section would be another way to zero in on global variables that might be triggering his behavior.

Obviously you have found a bug, so this is just a technique to work around it for your current game.

For reference, here is a useful tutorial on Infinity Engine scripts:

http://www.pocketplane.net/tutorials/simscript.html

Please share your findings.
    Try C:GetGlobal("X#MinscVitiare","GLOBAL") and check if it is 5.

If it is 5, then C:SetGlobal("X#MinscVitiare","GLOBAL",10).
  • BlandingsBlandings Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the guidance - I did what you asked and found two blocks (pasted below) in minsc's overide script where "see jaheira" is present. I also looked minsc's dialog file and found the trigger for that line is Global("X#MinscVitiare","GLOBAL",5). If I change the value to anything other than 5, I seem to avoid the problem.

Vitiare is a thief in the naskel fair. I think BG1NPC adds a scene where Minsc steps in after Vitiare picpockets PC. I remember I spoke to the thief twice by mistake and he pickpocketed me twice before Minsc dialog fired. Somehow, the global variable must have been messed up then. The problem started after that incident. I don't know how this is related to Jaheira. This error happens when I sleep outdoors in multiple maps. I dont see anything in the script that ties to that global variable.

IF
    PartyRested()
    RealGlobalTimerExpired("X#DreamTalk","GLOBAL")
    Global("X#MIJA1","LOCALS",0)
    InParty(Myself)
    !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    InParty("jaheira")
    !StateCheck("jaheira",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    CombatCounter(0)
    !See([ENEMY])
    See("jaheira")
    AreaType(FOREST)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("X#MIJA1","LOCALS",1)
    RealSetGlobalTimer("X#DreamTalk","GLOBAL",THREE_TURNS)
    END

IF
    InParty("jaheira")
    Global("X#MIJA1","LOCALS",1)
    InParty(Myself)
    CombatCounter(0)
    !See([ENEMY])
    See("jaheira")
    !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    !StateCheck("jaheira",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    RealSetGlobalTimer("X#DreamTalk","GLOBAL",THREE_TURNS)
    StartDialogueNoSet("jaheira")
  • OrionsArm42OrionsArm42 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2017
    So, I'm new to this whole thing, and I've been continually trying to install the recommended mods for BG:EE 1 and 2. I got both of the games from Steam and they're on my D drive. It works fine for the most part, until it gets to the Enhanced Edition Trilogy mod. I get an error that says: "Enter the full path to your BG:EE+SoD installation then press Enter.
    Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00806", and I just can't seem to work past it. I've tried putting in both BG1 and 2's directories, and it just won't accept them.

I don't have Siege of Dragonspear, and the way this is worded gives me the sense that I need it in order to continue. I wasn't aware that it was required... and if it isn't, well, I'd really appreciate some help working past this issue!
    Siege of Dragonspear is required for EET. If you don't have SoD, you can install mods on BG1EE and BG2EE separately, and play them separately (use the usual import method when you finish BG1). To tell BWS that you want to install mods for just BG2EE without EET, put a single dash "-" for the BG1EE path.
  • OrionsArm42OrionsArm42 Member Posts: 2
    I see. Thanks for letting me know. I assume that mods that stretch across both games retain their continuity even with separate installations?
    Not really, no. A handful of global variables (NEERA_ROMANCE2 DORN_ROMANCE_23 RASAAD_ROMANCE4 BD_HAVE_SOD) are carried over by the import method. But few mods really maintain true continuity across the games. Most of the mod NPCs, for example, have some sort of dialogue near the start of BG2 where you can behave as if you knew them, or not, which might change a few BG2 dialogues.
  • Maick90Maick90 Member Posts: 52
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know if EET somehow modifies how backstab multipliers work? It now shows that my F/M/T characters backstab modifier is x0
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Is it at 0 with every weapon? Do you get bonuses when backstabbing? Which other mods did you install? I don't think eet would put the backstabbing multiplier to 0.
    edited January 2017
    I tried with longswords and trying a backstab didn't report any multipliers to the damage. I installed many mods, choosing myself all the components, so it would not probably be easy to figure out what causes the problem. But i used the EE Keeper to add the multiplier.

EDIT: should i upload the exported list of mods i installed from BWS here?
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    You can just upload your weidu.log file which should be in your game folder.
    Here it is. I took it from the BG2 folder of the EET installation.
  • PaulRyanPaulRyan Member Posts: 2
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm trying to select the directories, but it won't detect the Baldur.exe located in my BG2EE folder, it's C:\Games\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition. The BGEE exe is fine
    edited January 2017
    Hey, I'm currently playing on a fresh EET install with BWS, everything is running fine with the exception of the worldmap which... well, is lacking a few details : http://hanginthere.free.fr/wmap.jpg
    As you can see it could use some more colours but I can travel between zones no problem, so it's not that big a deal. What worries me is that it might be the tip of the iceberg and be the sign of a much more flawed installation. I'd like to ask your opinion on the matter before spending too much time on my new char :D

Thanks in advance !
    Feyd said:

Hey, I'm currently playing on a fresh EET install with BWS, everything is running fine with the exception of the worldmap which... well, is lacking a few details : http://hanginthere.free.fr/wmap.jpg
    As you can see it could use some more colours but I can travel between zones no problem, so it's not that big a deal. What worries me is that it might be the tip of the iceberg and be the sign of a much more flawed installation. I'd like to ask your opinion on the matter before spending too much time on my new char :D

Thanks in advance !

I also had this problem. I reinstalled with no worldmap mods and works now.
    edited January 2017
    Yeah turns out BP-BGT Worldmap was the cause of the issue. I just reinstalled (again... thank god or whomever for BWS !) without it and the worldmap looks peachy.
  • igotsmeakabob11igotsmeakabob11 Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2017
    If I installed bg2ee via Steam in my ssd with some of my other steam games, in its steam folder, should I be able to install this? Mod management/compilations are veeeeery helpful :smiley:

edit: i downloaded the modmerge file and ran it in my bg2ee steam area.
    Yes, BWS works with Steam installs. If (and only if) you install SoD, then you need to run modmerge in the BG1 game folder to unpack the SoD files and make them moddable. You do not need to run modmerge in the BG2 folder.