Skip to content

New Star Trek TV Series

Comments

• Lezard_ValethLezard_Valeth Member Posts: 70

Archer is also the first Starfleet Captain. He makes mistakes and Starfleet models their future protocols after his mistakes, so it kinda makes sense in that context. I really liked Enterprise and I don't see why it gets so much hate tbh, much better than Voyager I thought.

The only problem I had with Enterprise was the last episode.......

Ha ha. Archer becomes the model of 'what not to do'. That's funny.

I didn't hate 'Enterprise', but it definitely did not grip me such that I had to watch it. And of course the opening music just got on my nerves, but that is personal and subjective. I might have to go back and Netflix it.
    Yes. The intro for Enterprise still pisses me off. I don't know who approved that. Regardless, if you're willing to look beyond that, it gets much better as it goes on.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    LOL, I remember keeping with it into season 2, but not much beyond that. Shame really because I caught one half of the two parter in season 4 where they intersect with the Tholian Web from TOS. I never saw the conclusion (or maybe I missed the first part??). In any event, I liked that they finally did a crossover with what is to me, the quintessential Star Trek (TOS). All personal and subjective.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015
    Those particular episodes also have a pretty awesome introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbsZRbwbJ4

Though I'm not sure every species is much of a fan of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    Oh man I loved the opening credits and song for Enterprise....
    atcDave said:

Oh man I loved the opening credits and song for Enterprise....

The song itself, while not my cup of tea, wasn't 'Terrible' so much as inconsistent (in my subjective view) versus the openings of all of the other Trek franchises. But hey, to each their own.
    edited November 2015
    I'll agree that it wasn't consistent with other Star Trek series but I would say that it was consistent with the plot of the first two seasons in particular (humanity being able to now go farther out into the galaxy than ever before, reaching its potential, not being constrained by the vulcans, etc). But it didn't really fit as much for the 3rd of 4th seasons.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    The theme song just felt wrong to me when first broadcast, but later when in picked up the DVD box-set and binge-watched each season over a weekend, it just felt right. Not sure whether exposure therapy of back-to-back episodes with that same theme helped, but now I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    I will necro this thread just to say the opening credits and song of Enterprise felt like a space program or NASAcommercial. And I love all space programs. There.

The theme song just felt wrong to me when first broadcast, but later when in picked up the DVD box-set and binge-watched each season over a weekend, it just felt right. Not sure whether exposure therapy of back-to-back episodes with that same theme helped, but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

I've been binge watching the series and am about half way through season 4. I still feel that the opening is inconsistent with the other shows in the Franchise.

I have also come to understand that although the show is adequate, it by no means broke ground (except where it went out of it's way to stomp all over established canon). Season 3 seemed to me to be a significant departure and basically orphaned several story lines completely in favor of the new 'Xindi threat'.

In addition, quite a lot of the 'Primary characters' in the later seasons were all but forgotten. Poor Hoshi serves no purpose whatsoever after season 2 and then gets yanked in unceremoniously at the end of season 3 only to be tortured and abused. Malcolm is largely forgotten most of the time and is all but a throw-away character when the Macos some on board (and then they are dumped). Flox, who is an interesting character in his own right, is only tangentially used for a medical diagnosis every now and again in seasons 3 and 4. He has a few stand-out episodes, but he doesn't feel like a major character most of the time. In season 4 there are whole episodes where he doesn't even show up, and when he does he feels tacked on and generic.

Season 4 (and I am not finished watching) appeared to be an attempt to revitalize the show (again as that was my feel for season 3) by appealing to nostalgia of the other series (Brent Spinner appearance and all that entails, the introduction of the Orion Slave market, T'pow and the Vulcan storyline, The Romulans and 'Reunification', 'A mirror Darkly', etc...).

At the end of the day although I have enjoyed watching it, I recognize that it wasn't the best outing of the Franchise. And it doesn't stand a candle to shows like BSG or Firefly not to mention TOS or TNG.
    edited January 2017
    Figured I'd resurrect this thread with this news. it looks like it's likely to be delayed from it's may release.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cbs-star-trek-discovery-production-delayed-again-2017-1
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    elminster said:

Figured I'd resurrect this thread with this news. it looks like it's likely to be delayed from it's may release.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cbs-star-trek-discovery-production-delayed-again-2017-1

I'm sorry but as much as I love Star Trek I'm not going to subscribe to CBS All Access just for this show. That's complete BS.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    As always, it will be better to just wait for the series to finish. Chances are those subscribtion fees are higher than this series' whole DVD/BluRay disk collection's price tag. Especially when purchasing them over at ebay or similar second hand markets.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited January 2017
    kanisatha said:

I'm sorry but as much as I love Star Trek I'm not going to subscribe to CBS All Access just for this show. That's complete BS.

I'm pretty sure that eventually the show will make it's way to other stations. CBS will just get first crack at any new episodes, then they'll pass it along to other venues. Just like the SyFy network did with the Stargate franchise. The Star Trek brand is simply too big to limit it's exposure to the public like that.

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I'd heard that the latest delay was due to an actress, who will appear in new Star Trek, appearing in another show.

the walking dead.

Once she is presumably finished with her commitment to Walking Dead then they would be willing to show her on Star Trek

• fatnlazyfatnlazy Member Posts: 24
    Coming in late. Looking forward to the new series. Don't like CBS's ways of doing things though. It's why I'm behind on Blue Bloods. Now for my unasked for opinions...

TNG is, and always will be my fav tv series of Star Trek.
    DS9 is next, though it took a while for me to get into it.
    Enterprise was better than I thought it would be. I get through the opening song by singing Sweet Victory from the Spongebob episode to the music. (I swear it's the same song.)
    Never got through Voyager, though I agree, the doctor was awesome.
    Original Trek is watched mainly for nostalgia.

Movie-wise, the Nu Trek series is some of my favorite movies ever. Better than TNG or Original by far.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Yeah, I considered DS9 to be a gem of a show that didn't get its due. And sadly, because of the way in which it was produced, no reruns of it - at least not in my greater Boston area. :(
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I would really prefer if the new story was set after DS9 instead of between Enterprise and the original series.. I would like to know if The Federation eventually spread to the entire galaxy, for instance.
  • fatnlazyfatnlazy Member Posts: 24
    kanisatha said:

Yeah, I considered DS9 to be a gem of a show that didn't get its due. And sadly, because of the way in which it was produced, no reruns of it - at least not in my greater Boston area. :(

Netflix, bro.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    mlnevese said:

I would really prefer if the new story was set after DS9 instead of between Enterprise and the original series.. I would like to know if The Federation eventually spread to the entire galaxy, for instance.

Looks like Star Trek: Discovery will be more like a prelude to the franchise, taking place a decade prior to the original series' timeline. Ah well... personally I'd prefer to have a new Star Trek series without its main cast being part of the Federation. Like telling the story in the perspective of a third party, or even an antagonists-as-protagonists approach. But maybe that's just me and the Q...
    edited January 2017
    I'm not sure how long lasting the franchise can still be in the original timeline given that the federation is in the edge of developing transwarp tech. There would be no travel time (which the episodes have traditionally used to flesh out the plot or characters).

Edit: I mean the original timeline set after voyager.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I would like to see how the dominion was founded... a show where we get to see the Founder go from solid to shifter from persecuted to masters of an entire quadrant would be really interesting... it could end with Odo rejoining The Great Link or even show us what were the consequences of his return...
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

mlnevese said:

Looks like Star Trek: Discovery will be more like a prelude to the franchise, taking place a decade prior to the original series' timeline. Ah well... personally I'd prefer to have a new Star Trek series without its main cast being part of the Federation. Like telling the story in the perspective of a third party, or even an antagonists-as-protagonists approach. But maybe that's just me and the Q...
    Did it in the FASA RPG: Main characters are independent traders like Harry Mudd and Cyrano Jones.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    The main problem with DS9, I think, was that the first couple of seasons were quite dull. They focussed almost exclusively on character relationships to the point where it became a soap opera in space. It started to get interesting at about season 4 onwards, but by that time I think a lot of people had given up. Which is a shame, because the premise was an interesting one.

While relationships between characters can be interesting to explore sometimes, and I realise that the politics between the two alien factions is an important underlying factor, they do need to include some of that sci-fi stuff to keep sci-fi fans interested. The first few seasons of DS9 could easily have been set in some American small town in the 1990s. A lot of TNG was also like that but at least it had suitable amounts of sci-fi throughout.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited August 2017
    I didn't like the prophet content most of the time.. I just felt it detracted from the interesting content with the shapeshifters/dominion and starfleets section 31.

The whole ''higher being'' plots worked better in Babylon 5 and in DS9 it sort of ''ruined'' Dukat by turning him into a villainous cliche in the last season. And he was one of the most interesting Star Trek antagonists for me.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    The article says Captain, but I really hope he's an Admiral. One of my many peeves with Star Trek is that no-one ever gets promoted in the TV series. "Sorry, I know you've been a Lieutenant for 15 years, but we can't promote you until the next movie comes out."
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    My major disappointment with Discovery was the lack of research done in the science department. I only finally got around to watching Enterprise a few years ago, but was surprised at how well thought out a lot of it was. Since transporters aren't used much (everyone's still afraid of them, and they're still very short ranged), everyone still had to go through decontamination procedures. Whereas Discovery had crap like that bio-antennae that projected sound through space. Ya, sound in space. The whole mycelliaum network was BS, too. Seriously if you want to set your story earlier, that means not introducing new techs.

What I liked has big time spoilers

I did actually enjoy the whole alternate universe angle in Discovery, though. What I thought was particularly interesting, was that the reason the captain was willing to do all this fucked up shit that was against Federation values was because he was from the alternate universe. I loved that the crew chose to uphold the values of the federation at the end.

So, I am super excited to see Patrick Stewart come back play Picard. TNG was what I grew up with. In middle and high school it was on every afternoon when I got home from school.
    BillyYank said:

The article says Captain, but I really hope he's an Admiral. One of my many peeves with Star Trek is that no-one ever gets promoted in the TV series. "Sorry, I know you've been a Lieutenant for 15 years, but we can't promote you until the next movie comes out."

Honestly it would be very Picard to refuse the rank of Admiral for 20 years.