Skip to content

New Star Trek TV Series

13»

Comments

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    elminster said:
    But unfortunately it is again going to be on CBS All Access, and I am not going to subscribe to that service just for this show even though I am a huge Star Trek fan.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited August 2018
    Pricard should be an Admiral, but that wouldn't work well for a TV show. An Admiral would stay behind and have captains reporting in to him, not go out and seek new worlds and new civilizations which is the type of thing a TV show needs.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317

Pricard should be an Admiral, but that wouldn't work well for a TV show. An Admiral would stay behind and have captains reporting in to him, not go out and seek new worlds and new civilizations which is the type of thing a TV show needs.

He could take an ambassadorial / trouble-shooting role ...
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    edited August 2018

My major disappointment with Discovery was the lack of research done in the science department. I only finally got around to watching Enterprise a few years ago, but was surprised at how well thought out a lot of it was. Since transporters aren't used much (everyone's still afraid of them, and they're still very short ranged), everyone still had to go through decontamination procedures. Whereas Discovery had crap like that bio-antennae that projected sound through space. Ya, sound in space. The whole mycelliaum network was BS, too. Seriously if you want to set your story earlier, that means not introducing new techs.

What I liked has big time spoilers

I did actually enjoy the whole alternate universe angle in Discovery, though. What I thought was particularly interesting, was that the reason the captain was willing to do all this fucked up shit that was against Federation values was because he was from the alternate universe. I loved that the crew chose to uphold the values of the federation at the end.

So, I am super excited to see Patrick Stewart come back play Picard. TNG was what I grew up with. In middle and high school it was on every afternoon when I got home from school.
    I can deal with the mycelium network. What I seriously can't deal with is

the main character being spock's adopted sister. WHY? It serves no purpose whatsoever, except to have a connection to a previously well-established character.

The Enterprise looked beautiful in season 1's ending.

I admit I am somewhat excited for seeing
    Spock and Captain Pike
    in season two though.
    The actor they got for Pike looks really spot-on. I don't think I'll ever really enjoy anyone besides Leonard Nimoy as Spock but I'll try not to judge too harshly.

I tried to spoiler tag everything that could ruin someone's experience if they haven't watched season 1 or followed news about season 2.

It's nice they're getting Picard back. Wouldn't mind seeing Kirk again either.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

It didn't slow Honor Harrington down. A battle scene set on the flag bridge can be just as exciting as one set on the bridge. (I just can't wait to see Harrington bring her Grand Fleet to the Sol system and kick the crap out of those arrogant Earthlings.)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    BillyYank said:

It didn't slow Honor Harrington down.

I agree with you, but to be fair there are also a lot of narrative devices used to ensure Honor acts in the role of a captain long after her career had advanced beyond that ...
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I'm just happy none of this ties back in the JJ Abrams-verse. I seriously have to question if he's ever actually seen an episode of Star Trek in any form. Nobody needed to reboot things when there's a massive galaxy and an alternate universe with limitless possibilities for stories in them.

@Dev6
    Totally agree about the actor for Pike being spot on.

I can deal with Michael being an adoptive relative of spock, since it's mainly a tie to Sarek, more than Spock. I will say the actor for Sarek is too young, though.

I'd have actually liked to have seen more background on some of the characters. Like what's the deal with the officer on the bridge with the metal on her face.

What about the Android on the bridge? Data's supposed to have been the first android Star Fleet officer. They even had a trial over whether he had legal rights, which make no reference to any precedence of other android or robotic members.

So the androids and mycellium network just seem continuity breaking. Still, it's better than Voyager ;)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I believe that's actually a cyborg...
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    You're a borg
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Discovery does a poor job at fleshing out the minor characters. There is a character who looks like an android, but they could be something else all together. I favour an environment suit for a very tiny alien.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2018
    Yea the fact that we don't know the names of all of the bridge crew after the first episode (let alone the first season) isn't great.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    The last Star trek movie flopped didn't it? It was actually the best one of the new ones. Poorly marketed.
    @DrHappyAngry
    JJ Abrams tried to turn Star Trek into Star Wars.
    Then he tried to turn Star Wars into crap.
    I hate that guy.

The look of the Klingons could also be seen as continuity breaking, though this can be explained in the future.
    scriver said:

You're a borg

I'm a Martian... get your aliens right... :wink:
    I don't think the look of the Klingons changing mean anything. I think it's natural new adaptions change superficial things like that, just like how the TNG Klingons were changed from the TOS ones. To me they still look satisfactory "Klingon" at least. By which I mean it's not like they're suddenly blue antenna men or space elves.
    I actually liked the fact that the Klingons looked less human in Discovery. They were clearly bigger than the average human and had the looks you'd expect from an evolved predator species.
    I haven't watched the series myself, only pictures and clips (mostly through Sci-fi Debris guy's recaps), but I really liked the first images of them I saw too. Then I saw some clips for a later episode and it didn't look all as good. Could probably be a case of "less important characters get shabbier make up jobs", though.
    scriver said:

I don't think the look of the Klingons changing mean anything. I think it's natural new adaptions change superficial things like that, just like how the TNG Klingons were changed from the TOS ones. To me they still look satisfactory "Klingon" at least. By which I mean it's not like they're suddenly blue antenna men or space elves.

Wasn't it the movies where they got the forehead ridges? I seem to remember Christopher Loyd and David Warner rocking them. IIRC they even had them in the opening scene in the very first movie.

I think I saw something about the Klingons showing more diversity, as well as a lot of the ones you see being unaffected by that virus that caused them to lose their head ridges. That being the whole reason they're really into Klingon purity.

I had to look up the bot lady, Airiam, on memory alpha, and apparently they've contradicted themselves whenever they talked about her. Some calling her a synthetic human hybrid, others an augmented alien and others an augmented human. None if it was actually mentioned in the show, though, so nothing canonical.
    memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Airiam
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Klingons first gained ridged foreheads in the opening sequence of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

In the original series they where dark skinned black haired humans with pointy beards and moustaches.
    I would like to see a series set even further in the future... maybe we could see the Time Wars era...
    The Time Wars stuff is a pretty interesting idea, but wouldn't a series set during it mostly take place before it? :P
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2018
    There's a highly spoilable storyline in the new series dealing with
    Klingons being made to look more human so they can infiltrate effectively. There was also a Klingon on an infiltration mission in "The Trouble With Tribbles" in the original series, so there's plenty of precedence for Klingons doing that.

The Klingon captain in Star Trek: The Motion Picture was played by none other than Mark Lenard, the same actor who played Spock's father, Sarek. He also played a Romulan in TOS (making him the first actor to play all three of the "major" alien races in Star Trek).

Some of the Klingons from the original series even appeared on DS9, with the updated appearance.

The virus explanation was a retcon from Enterprise. I much preferred Worf's non-explanation in DS9, "They *are* Klingons, and it is a long story... We do not discuss it with outsiders."

Whoa, I had no idea they were the same actors, and supposed to be playing the same characters, even.

I don't know if I'd call the virus a ret-con, just an explanation.

BTW, I have this album

It's a retcon. It's retroactive continuity.
    Thread necro for the new trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tngJcV9Z9Uk