Skip to content

New Star Trek TV Series

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited November 2015 in Off-Topic
Anyone hear about this? I'm super pumped.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

Ok so technically at this point they are saying its going to be a web series after I guess the pilot airs. Still pretty excited about it though :)
Post edited by elminster on

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Hopefully the new captain will be just as awesome as Jean-Luc Picard was. Wouldn't want some young lad without a shred of humour, now would we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0M9VK6x850
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015
    I'm going to have that song in my head for the rest of the day.

"Captain... Jean Luc Picard of the U.S.S Enterprise."
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    Will it take place in the original or the alternative (after the reboot) timeline? The article was not clear but i got the impression it's the reboot timeline.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I think that there is little doubt that it will take place in the 'Current' timeline. I can't see the powers that be signing off on something that was contrary to the movie timeline.
    Plus its probably a lot less work to work off of the new timeline.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Not sure what to think yet. But it's been a while since TNG, wouldn't mind a new Star Trek series. Guess I should finish DS9 and Voyager sometime soon...
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I"m something of a maverick trekker, but my favorite series was DS9 - for me it had the most interesting cast, the benefit of being the first trek to try to build on ongoing continuity from the start, and the story telling potential of being focussed on a single place, rather than shooting off to a new system every episode.

I really did not get Voyager, none of the crew really gelled for me (other than the doctor, Trek has great doctors with the exception of NG) and it felt a redundant twist on Next Gen. Enterprise, on the other hand, I really got into and turned out to be my second favorite trek franchise - which I believe pretty much excommunicates me from Trekdom.

It is a shame that none of the crews after NextGen got a movie though - I would have loved an ensemble movie cast from all the shows!
    edited November 2015
    I liked Enterprise. It picked up by the 4th season.

Yea. Janeway got a cameo in Star Trek Nemesis. But otherwise that was it for anyone in the cast of those three crews. :)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Not stoked enough to pay $6/month... for CBS( :confused: ). Someone over there must be drinking too much tiger blood.
    Its going to be especially difficult for them if they actually require people to pay to watch the service and then also have ads. Which is how I think they currently operate (at least based on what I've read online).
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'm curious how they will plan to bring this show overseas. Personally, I would only watch it if it's broadcasted in free tv like every Star Treck series up till now. It's just not worth getting paid tv channels for one single show. Especially for people who almost never watch tv in the first place like me.
    edited November 2015
    As far as the merchandising aspect of CBS (asking to pay $6 a month to watch plus potentially commercials), that is nothing new of Star Trek. The Powers that Be have always been about the money. Apparently Rodenberry was among the worst culprits of this thinking. The original Cast told stories about all of the merchandising "Opportunities" he would bring to the set.So that doesn't surprise me.

I do have a problem paying to watch CBS as a whole, but they might actually make a sale with me because it is Star Trek. We will see.

Edit: I was once at a convention to see Quark and Odo. Armin Shimmerman stated to the audience, "Paramount are the true Ferengi."
    Post edited by the_spyder on
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I'm going to claw my way into an audition for this.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited November 2015
    elminster said:

I liked Enterprise. It picked up by the 4th season.

It could have been a good show if it weren't for that silly time wars storyline. They should have stuck with the established lore, instead of going off on such a tangent. I suspect that's why they didn't get the kind of response they were hoping for. Other than that though, I agree that it was a pretty good show.

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I actually quite like the temporal cold war storyline, it was not too intrusive (i.e., it took up only a few episodes each season), gave something with higher stakes that could drop in and out of the storyline, and gave my favorite end-of-season cliff hanger from any star trek season, with the possible exception of the Locutus of Borg in Next Gen introducing the idea of the finale cliff-hanger in the first place.

The third season as a single ongoing storyline was an interesting pitch to save the franchise that I really enjoyed, and the 4th season was an homage to patching up continuity ;) which was also greatly appreciated, mostly as they had several episode-spanning long-form storylines that were given space to tell their tale. My only real complain with Enterprise was the finale-of-finales, which was hijacked to be a finale-of-all-the-franchises and completely disregarded anything Enterprise had built over 4 seasons - I barely recognized the characters, and they seemed to delight in giving them awful futures with no chance of a remedy. That episode was not made by someone with any love for the series at all :(
    True the ending was terrible.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited November 2015
    I liked Voyager a lot. Glad they got rid of the Kes character - couldn't stand her - but have yet to watch Deep Space 9. Fans say it's one of the better ones, but with Voyager, I wanted exploration vs. static location, so I watched those DVDs instead.

And I <3 the Doctor! Best character on Voyager by FAR!
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    elminster said:

True the ending was terrible.

It's pretty obvious they just slapped it together after getting word that the series was to be cancelled. They no doubt had much more in mind for the series, but they were forced to cut it short.

I liked Voyager a lot. Glad they got rid of the Kes character - couldn't stand her - but have yet to watch Deep Space 9. Fans say it's one of the better ones, but with Voyager, I wanted exploration vs. static location, so I watched those DVDs instead.

Voyager was my least favourite of them all, I just had a hard time relating to most of the characters, especially Captain Janeway. And I agree about Kes, Seven of Nine was a welcome replacement. You really should make the effort to watch DS-9, it was my favourite. Though it made me cringe when they got into that hologram character later on in the series, Nick Fontaine was his name IIRC. Those story lines were pretty lame.

Close it was Vic Fontaine.
    As far as DS9 is concerned, you really need to stick with it until season 3 or later. While the stuff that came before was good in it's own right, it wasn't until 'The War' that things started to really shape up, at least in my subjective opinion.

I was never a huge fan of Voyager, although I did watch most of it. It just lacked the cohesion and personalities that TNG and TOS had and when they tried to be 'Intriguing' like DS9, they just failed (in my view). I think that The Doctor and Seven of Nine were the shining outliers of the show, with honorable mention going out to Tuvok as a distant third. But really none of the rest 'Did it' for me.
  • Lezard_ValethLezard_Valeth Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2015

I"m something of a maverick trekker, but my favorite series was DS9 - for me it had the most interesting cast, the benefit of being the first trek to try to build on ongoing continuity from the start, and the story telling potential of being focussed on a single place, rather than shooting off to a new system every episode.

I'm in the same boat as you. I love Deep Space Nine more than any other series, even TNG. Sisko is the best captain.

Regardless. I really don't have much interest in this new series if it's going to follow the new timeline/universe. I just didn't like the movies too much and don't wish to see a new series handled by a similar team.

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited November 2015
    I used to really like Star Trek and TNG. Then I read David Weber's Honor Harrington novels, and I haven't been able to enjoy it since. After reading about a realistic space navy, my suspension of disbelief regarding ST was forever broken.

Quick quiz: You've discovered a derelict ship, there's a chance this is a hostile situation. Your away team should consist of:

A ) A platoon of marines in full powered armor, a couple of junior naval officers to check the ship's systems and a sick bay attendant in case of casualties.

or

B ) The captain, the first officer, the ship's surgeon and some guy in a red shirt.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    edited November 2015
    I've always loved Star Trek, every incarnation really including the current movie-verse.
    Now that said, the series have not all been created equal.
    I think Voyager was the weakest by a wide margin. The overall concept was fine, but they failed on execution. Unappealing characters and too many weak stories. That it still managed to be fun on occasion is a testament to the strength of the franchise and underlying ideas.
    Enterprise had exactly opposite problems from Voyager. The whole set-up was weak. A pre-quel series for such a well developed universe guaranteed continuity problems every single week. But the characters were fun, and many of the main story-arcs were terrific. It truly was let down by a dreadful series finale, but that has become an epidemic problem with scripted television the last decade or so. Writers SHOULD be trying to honor their show, their characters, their audience. But all too often it's become the time to get clever and "creative". Few things are more disappointing than a television writer trying to be creative...
    I agree completely with Spyder about DS-9; it all started to really gel in the third season. I always suspected this was caused by pressure from Babylon 5. It started at about this time and really raised the stakes on telling a tight serialized story. DS-9 was pushed into coming up with more meaningful arcs with consequences. I think those two shows really made each other better.
    TOS will always be so special just for starting it all. And watching it brings back so many great memories! Of course the whole idea of "arcs" was barely touched on back then, but just so many great ideas and moments.

I'm pretty excited about a new Trek!
    Post edited by atcDave on
    edited November 2015
    @BillyYank - B, obviously. How is some junior officer going to know how to handle a tricky situation, like having to seduce the Orion slave girl that could potentially be found in such a situation? Besides, if it is REALLY dangerous, they have the guy in the Red shirt.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    BillyYank said:

I used to really like Star Trek and TNG. Then I read David Weber's Honor Harrington novels, and I haven't been able to enjoy it since. After reading about a realistic space navy, my suspension of disbelief regarding ST was forever broken.

Quick quiz: You've discovered a derelict ship, there's a chance this is a hostile situation. Your away team should consist of:

A ) A platoon of marines in full powered armor, a couple of junior naval officers to check the ship's systems and a sick bay attendant in case of casualties.

or

B ) The captain, the first officer, the ship's surgeon and some guy in a red shirt.

Yeah, but that would apply to most fiction. Star Trek isn't meant to be a realistic space navy any more than Lethal Weapon is an accurate depiction of proper police procedure.
    They actually address that to some degree in TNG when Picard attempts to lead an away team and Riker calls him on it. But as @AstroBryGuy indicates, this is not 'Space Marines'.

Throughout the entire series they have continually indicated that Star Fleet is about peaceful exploration rather than military conquest. If at every planet they investigated the showed up in power armor they probably wouldn't get many 'Federation applicants'.
    Enterprise though does take marines on board during its third season (and as far as I can recall at least some of them stick around for the fourth). Doesn't stop Archer from going to places he probably shouldn't go, but then if he did that that would mean the tv writers would have less opportunity to have him diving for a phase pistol (he always seemed to manage to trip, get knocked down, or had his pistol knocked out of his hand way more than any of the other captains).
  • Lezard_ValethLezard_Valeth Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2015
    elminster said:

Enterprise though does take marines on board during its third season (and as far as I can recall at least some of them stick around for the fourth). Doesn't stop Archer from going to places he probably shouldn't go, but then if he did that that would mean the tv writers would have less opportunity to have him diving for a phase pistol (he always seemed to manage to trip, get knocked down, or had his pistol knocked out of his hand way more than any of the other captains).

Archer is also the first Starfleet Captain. He makes mistakes and Starfleet models their future protocols after his mistakes, so it kinda makes sense in that context. I really liked Enterprise and I don't see why it gets so much hate tbh, much better than Voyager I thought.

The only problem I had with Enterprise was the last episode.......

Archer is also the first Starfleet Captain. He makes mistakes and Starfleet models their future protocols after his mistakes, so it kinda makes sense in that context. I really liked Enterprise and I don't see why it gets so much hate tbh, much better than Voyager I thought.

The only problem I had with Enterprise was the last episode.......

Ha ha. Archer becomes the model of 'what not to do'. That's funny.

I didn't hate 'Enterprise', but it definitely did not grip me such that I had to watch it. And of course the opening music just got on my nerves, but that is personal and subjective. I might have to go back and Netflix it.