Skip to content

NWN2's OC isn't as bad as everyone says it is, I think (Spoilers for part of NWN2).

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
Sooo I'm playing through the OC for the first time as a Gnome Bard going along the Fey Heritage feat line. The Bard is a blast to play since I can switch between sword and shield, archery, two weapon fighting, and spellcasting on a whim. Use Magic Device also has to be the coolest skill ever since I can use other class's unique equipment, hehe.

So the OC isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. After playing the original NWN's campaign and finding it less than stellar and what I heard about this game's OC I wasn't expecting much. But then I was blown away.

The dynamics of your initial party are GREAT! You can't please anyone and that causes conflicts between party members and I love it. If I side with Elanee about something then Khelgar and Neeshka gets upset, if I side with Neeshka then Khelgar and Elanee gets upset, and if I side with Khelgar than the other two get upset! XD No matter who I side with on a matter someone will disapprove and I love it.

Neeshka reminds me of my Bard character as they are both less-than responsible and have a tendency to shirk authority. Elanee is like the mother my poor little Bard girl never had. Khelgar is well. Khelgar. I love his wanting to be a monk but his undisciplined nature and wanting to fight things. I just got Qara, the fire sorceress, so I can't comment on her other than that she's kind of short-tempered.

I love the idea that you can talk bandits out of bandit-ing and go help patrol the roads at Forte Lock if you have high enough diplomacy as opposed to just murdering them. I like these alternate-paths you can take due to your stats, race, or class. Basically this is why I think Obsidian has some of the best writers in the business when it comes to choices in dialogue.

The main plot seems to have a good dash of mystery with the shards (I don't know what they are yet so no spoilers on that please n_n ). I'm currently part of the city watch and climbing through the ranks. As much as Piro hates authority she won't let innocent people be hurt.

I started as CN but soon found myself to be CG which is cool. With this sort of RPing I've been shown to myself where I thought Piro was CN she actually cares for people a great deal and despite some selfish tendencies will avoid fighting and save as many people as possible. She can't stand blood so while she has a sword and shield she mostly stands in the back providing support spells for her party along with her bardic auras.

Maybe the plot gets worse later? I don't know. Atm though I'll actually say I'm enjoying the plot as much as I enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1's plot.

I'll update this post when I can as my internet is currently down so it'll be sparse.

I played through Storms of Zehir already so I get how the game plays mechanically and have a build set for my Bard which is nice.

Also, just as marker for where I am in the story I just killed Moire as she tried to kill the Watch's informant. I'm now to go to Old Owl Well (I think that's the name) and find a missing emissary.

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I am somewhat fond of the OC. To be honest, I find the entire Old Owl Well sequence the low-point of the campaign. Just feels like filler.

Since you haven't played it yet, I won't spoil the rest of the story. But I think Act II and Act III are great and Mephasm is a fantastic character.

Mask of the Betrayer on the otthe hand is one of my absolutely favorite RPGs. From story depth only PS:T, KOTOR 2, Morrowind, Ultima Underworld 2 and Ultima 7: Serpent Isle can compete.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I think it is "Popular" to knock the OC, but I actually enjoyed it as well. There are a couple of points that may not be 'As fun', but overall I thought it was a very good take.

MoTB is also really well done if a bit darker. And then Storm of Zehir is just a fun romp/throw back to games like IWD.

I will say that there are better modules out there to play, but that doesn't detract from this campaign being fun and interesting.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2015
    I dislike the NWN2 OC with a high level of intensity.

Firstly, I dislike ALL of the NPC companions (with the exception of the golem). They simply aren't characters I want to spend time with. Which wouldn't be so much of a problem if you could dump them, but even if you don't have them in your party they hang around being irritating.

Secondly, the story depends too much on a "big twist" that is too obvious. It was like watching The Sixth Sense. I realised {spoiler} was {spoiler} in the opening sequence, and from then on it was a yawnfest.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Well, thankfully like my Gnome Bard having an 8 wisdom, I too have a wisdom of 8 IRL! So my perception skills are non existent so I have yet to find a big twist. XD
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited November 2015
    The OC and NwN2 in general were rushed by Atari. It was pretty obvious.
    It was made in half the time NwN1 was made, more or less.
    The OC has a cliffhanger and comically cliche ending.

The meat and potatoes of NwN2 is not the OC.
    It's the Mask of the Betrayer expansion.
    The old school Icewind Dale-like approach of Storm of Zehir.
    The very interesting Mysteries of Westgate DLC.

The module-making capabilities.
    The roleplaying Persistent Worlds that still thrive today and will continue to do so for a while.
    The much more professionally-made and more capable toolset, even if quite unintuitive and complex.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    You'll have a polar opinion as soon as you try to make an evil playthrough. It's just obscenely poorly written unless you are roleplaying an utter moron.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015
    Reasons I don't like the OC (spoilered where appropriate)

- Lack of choice when it comes to NPCs until you get to Neverwinter. You won't notice this as much the first time but the game does get pretty boring when you are stuck with a choice of I think only 3 different NPC's until you reach neverwinter.
    - Of the NPC's the only one I liked was Bishop.
    - Its the game that taught me that hearing "know that" at the start of an NPC's every line from an NPC gets old really fast.
    - You can't kill playable NPC's (technically this isn't just limited to the OC but it was the first to have this). I really wish this was allowed given the "know that" NPC I mentioned above. :)

- Personally I feel like the whole shardbearer thing could have been cut. You could very well have had it that a Silver Sword was needed to kill the Shadow King. It would be one heck of a fight to get your hands on one but as stories go I'm totally down with that. I just don't buy the notion that the Githyanki wouldn't have recovered at least most of the shards in the decades it took you to grow up. I felt instead like they were inserting convenient excuses for why the Githyanki wouldn't have, just so they could have a story about a shardbearer.

Instead I think the story would have been better had it better emphasized the events of that lead up to the destruction of Mystryl, which was a fundamental moment for the Shadow Kings transition from the Guardian to the Shadow King (his fall from grace and the basis for the human part of this story where I'm supposed to want to emphasize with what has happened to him). Really make the case for the significance of this moment and its impact on not only the realms but more specifically Illefarn/Netheril.

As far as campaigns go it felt very uninspiring. It basically felt like a campaign that was trying tell two different stories, by merging the two stories into one story, but in the process it never actually ended up telling either one very well.
    Post edited by elminster on
    I haven't met Bishop yet- wait actually no. I believe I met him in Duncan's bar and he said something like, "If I wanted a tavern wench I'd go down to the brothel."
    :(
    He's a meanie. As Piro would say.

If he's a party member I imagine he's not the most agreeable of sorts. XD

Also, I do feel this entire orcish segment is dragging on a little much. Though, I met a Paladin guy. I like his kit but his personality screams "Generic Paladin Guy."

Also I met a fellow Gnome Bard, Grobnar Gnomehands.
    Surprising even to myself I'm not a fan of him. He's all the whimsical fun and annoyance that Piro is but taken one step too far. I want to like him because I normally love that character type but he's just sooooo. Idk what the word is. Annoying. But I normally like annoying so this is weird.

So far I like the original party the most but I like the Paladin guy's kit more than Kelghar's. I may switch Kelghar out for him once he becomes a monk. Assuming the quest ends with him becoming a monk. We'll see.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @Vallmyr

Unfortunately, like BG1, the OC has pretty generic and stereotypical characters with a few exceptions.

-Casavir is the generic Paladin.
    -Grobnar is the typical crazy and annoying gnome, Quayle style.
    -Qara is the typical "I burn stuff" Sorceress.
    -Sand is the typical "know-it-all" elf wizard.
    -Khelgar is the typical "I like to fight" dwarf.
    -Elanee is the typical "I like nature" elf druidess.
    -Neeshka is the typical "I am a mischievous bubbly thief" tiefling.

While all of them have their own personality traits that make them more interesting.
    Sand can be hilarious for example.

Though Bishop is an atypical badboy evil Ranger.
    The rest I didn't mention you meet later and are generally atypical and more interesting, so I won't spoil.
    edited November 2015
    Know that Zhjaeve is hardly typical too. Although I'd rather she weren't.
    Weren't in the game, that is.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2015
    I'm about the same as everyone here, the characters are definitely a weak point. I'm not entirely sure why they wrote the characters like that, I mean this is Obsidian we're talking about, so I'm a little surprised they went with that style. Unless they were forced by Atari to make the campaign fit certain parameters.

I have actually played through it a couple of times though, so I find some enjoyment in it.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I'm not "about the same as everyone here". I actually find the characters of Khelgar, Neeshka, Elanee, and Sand to be very memorable and a strong point of the game. So, I agree with @Vallmyr about that.

Now, the other characters, meh, maybe not so much. I almost always start and finish the game with those four allies. I'll always remember Grobnar, although I never use him. I like a few of the others, like Casavir, but I still never use them.

To me, the four characters I like and use from NWN2 that I will always remember are the equivalents of Minsc, Imoen, Jaheira, and... I guess, Xan? I don't always use Xan in BG, but I have a really hard time playing BG without Minsc, Imoen, and Jaheira, because they define BG for me.

Khelgar, Neeshka, and Elanee are pretty clearly to me derivative of their BG equivalents (I know Khelgar and Minsc have some stark differences, but I think they both serve the same story role- eccentric, quirky tanks who provide lots of comedy relief), but I'm okay with that.
    The NWN2 characters aren't derivative of BG as such, they are derivative of genre archetypes that existed long before BG.

As I said before though, it isn't so much that they are bad, but that you are stuck with them that is the real problem. If I could have left them all to die and soloed the story it would have been much improved.
    You aren't stuck with anyone for the most part of the game.
    iKrivetko said:

You aren't stuck with anyone for the most part of the game.

Sure you are. Some you can leave out of your party, but a large part of the game is in the Inn or keep where the Jar-Jars hang out and butt into every plot advancing conversation, whether they are in your party or not. And quite frequently there are long stretches where you are forced to have certain characters in your party at certain times.

Plus with only one rogue and only one divine caster for most of the game, the options for party make-up are severely limited.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I actually like playing storm of zehir the most, I find it's item making feature very very easy, and I have no idea why it's not like that in the OC and MoTB, and also I would to learn how to 100% use the toolset, I wanted to make an amazing awesome adventure that would start at level 1 and go all the way to level 40, but then I got stuck on how to make an npc join your team, for the life of me I couldn't figure it out, and the toolset still seems a little difficult to use
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    How to develop an overpowered mage in NWN2? When you level up it so many spells to choose, I just can't to decide.
    Is it better to invest in Maximize lower level spell or choose next level spell?
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I really adore NWN2, though it is far from a perfect game. You see everywhere that they had to cut corners because of time issues, especially in the OC. But even though it's clichee ridden, Sand is one of my favourite characters period and the trial scene is very memorable and a true highlight of the genre. What I didn't like where the halfassed romances. I love romances in games like these as much as most everybody, but at least the Casavir romance (I didn't try Elanee) felt very forced and unnecessary, not to mention the ending. I'd rather have no romance at all than a forced one :( (Besides, Sand and Bishop are way more interesting ;P )

What I did like was the party dynamic. Even though stereotypical at times, all the characters worked very well with each other. Especially Shandra and the two endgame companions where a very nice addition.

But yeah, I will have to go with the general consensus here, MotB outclassed the OC in pretty much every way. But it's no shame to lose to something as original and memorable as MotB, so you got that ;)

I'd love to see a propper remake of the game plus the expansions at some point (not just an enhanced edition). The main flaw was the horribly clunky engine and I'd love to see what the story would have been like in it's intended vision. Though, to be fair, I felt like Dragon Age: Awakenings recycled a lot of stuff from the OC, or am I the only one?
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

But yeah, I will have to go with the general consensus here, MotB outclassed the OC in pretty much every way.

My complaint about MotB was the lack of choices when it came to party members. You were pretty forced to take along all the characters that presented themselves. This was particularly true when I first tried to play using a Sorcerer that I had run through the OC. It was very redundant having two powerful magic casters in the party. And since there was no thief to be had, other than the golem, I was pretty much forced to have her tag along. And even the golem wasn't much of a thief.

edited November 2015
    There is another rogue...

(and you can manage without one anyway)

MotB actually has a better choice of rogue than the OC.
    About that other rogue, that's the only thing I know spoilery about MotB. I heard he's One of Many.
    Hehe.
    I thought that was clever.
    [Spoiler] One of Many is an optional boss in Storms of Zehir and when I googled it I was like, "Oops. Spoilers." XD [/Spoiler]
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    But you can't have papa bear if you want him and I looooooove papa bear <3
    edited November 2015
    I don't know what that is yet but I guess I'll find out!

Edit: I guess I should say I don't know who that is yet.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Yeah don't read any more than you have on MotB already, it's best enjoyed fresh= )
    sarevok57 said:

I actually like playing storm of zehir the most, I find it's item making feature very very easy, and I have no idea why it's not like that in the OC and MoTB, and also I would to learn how to 100% use the toolset, I wanted to make an amazing awesome adventure that would start at level 1 and go all the way to level 40, but then I got stuck on how to make an npc join your team, for the life of me I couldn't figure it out, and the toolset still seems a little difficult to use

I haven't played through SoZ yet, but there's a module called Path of Evil that apparently has the same open world feeling as SoZ has.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    oh really eh? maybe I should give it a try
    Vallmyr said:

I don't know what that is yet but I guess I'll find out!

Edit: I guess I should say I don't know who that is yet.

No, "what" is fine.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    SoZ was a fun romp and was absolutely a throw back to the whole "Party based exploration". I really liked the overhead map exploration and wish that had been done in more games. It also added in value for things like ranger's stalking abilities.

The down side of it was that quite a lot of the 'Dungeons' were tiny little one-off affairs with like 2 rooms in them. I suppose that was't a 'Bad' thing but it was kind of a let down in my personal and subjective view. Overall, I still really enjoyed SoZ and highly reccommmend it for anyone who enjoys a game like Icewind Dale.
    edited November 2015
    ^
    I agree with that statement. SoZ is wonderful and I plan to play it again eventually.

Update on my progress. Defeated the Orcs at Old Owl Well and got a new shield for Piro. It gives +2 charisma so her Cha is 18 now!

Her versatility is the best. I have bracers that give me the point blank shot feat and a dagger that gives the two weapon fighting feat.

I just got greater invisibility and shadow Conjuration so I can summon SHADOWS! Which is cool.

I can't remember if I stated earlier but I removed all the level adjustments by editing the subrace file. I've never been a fan in LA especially in a single player game. Anyway, so Neeshka just got crippling strike.

I'm debating if I want to use Casavir or Kelghar as my group's fighter-type. Neeshka is my rogue of course, Piro my arcane support, and Elanee as the primary healer. Elanee also has an awakened raptor animal companion now. It has like a +9 modifier in strength and is crazy strong. I named her Diana.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015
    I thought the concept of SoZ was good but the execution was poor.It always came across to me as an expansion that needed more development time to really flesh out the world. Without it it just felt pretty empty. Which it seems like they tried to make up for by having a lot of random monster encounters (though in fairness BG1 somewhat has this issue, but in its case you have the benefit of being able to quickly cross the world map).
    Casavir can turn undead. ;)

I haven't actually played the OC with the SoZ animal companion boosting feats. makes a couple of the party members a bit more interesting!