Skip to content

NWN2's OC isn't as bad as everyone says it is, I think (Spoilers for part of NWN2).

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    OH IT WAS SUPER COOL
    I had him use the 2nd level spell that boosts charisma and then he used turn undead and ALL THE SKELETONS AND ZOMBIES FELL BEFORE HIS HOLY PRESENCE! It made the undead after the Orc boss super easy to kill.
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    NWN2 was a superb single player experience.
    You can replay the main campaign and choose different paths and endings (2 endings with various minor ones) also the MOTB expansion was one of the best rpg experiences I've had.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Just an FYI at this stage. MoTB is a great story and I personally play it as released. Some find one particular aspect of the gameplay problematic (trying to be spoiler free here). When you get to that point and figure out what mechanic I am talking about, there is a MOD that actually changes the way it plays out. It is 100% up to you if/how you deal with it. Just thought I would mention.
    Bishop and Sand joined that party! Bishop is GREAATT. He's the downer to Piro's upper. Plus he's a really good archer character. Sand is going to be my scribe scroll character. He's learned animate dead from a scroll I had now he's going to scribe a million of them for Piro to use XD. Sand's voice is the best, btw.

It's getting difficult switching gear between everyone. Does anyone know if I drop an item in Duncan's inn if it will stay there forever?
  • Wandering_MinstrelWandering_Minstrel Member Posts: 197
    Vallmyr said:

Bishop and Sand joined that party! Bishop is GREAATT. He's the downer to Piro's upper. Plus he's a really good archer character. Sand is going to be my scribe scroll character. He's learned animate dead from a scroll I had now he's going to scribe a million of them for Piro to use XD. Sand's voice is the best, btw.

It's getting difficult switching gear between everyone. Does anyone know if I drop an item in Duncan's inn if it will stay there forever?

You can during chapter 1 and most of chapter 2. In the middle of chapter 2 you will get another base of operations where you can store your stuff for almost rest of the game.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Vallmyr , It's great to see you having so much fun with NWN2. I've always liked it, although I think it drags on a little too long in parts, so I've only ever finished it once. I've started replays several times over the years, but I keep losing interest before I get through all those longer middle chapters again.

I never finished my one MotB run, and I haven't been interested in trying it again, mostly because of that mechanic that @the_spyder mentioned. I got about halfway through the game before I got really, really tired of dealing with it. Maybe I should give it another chance sometime and use the mod that deletes that part. The thing is, the story that everybody says is so great doesn't really make sense without it.

The one time I started SoZ, I just wasn't in the mood for a "create your own party" game, so I lost interest when I'd barely started it. I guess I need to eventually give that another try, as well. Party creation takes a lot longer than in IWD, though, because NWN2 character creation is a lot more complicated, with lots more choices to make for each character. I find it kind of off-putting to think about spending that time, and I wouldn't want to use generic characters that aren't my own.

One reason that I haven't given MotB another chance is that I always want to raise my character up through the OC first, and I keep getting bogged down in those middle and early end-game chapters I was talking about. I know it starts to pick up again in the finale. But that middle of the story is sooooooo long...

I don't know. Seeing you have so much fun with it is inspiring. Maybe I'll give it another go sometime soon. ;)

I never finished my one MotB run, and I haven't been interested in trying it again, mostly because of that mechanic that @the_spyder mentioned. I got about halfway through the game before I got really, really tired of dealing with it. Maybe I should give it another chance sometime and use the mod that deletes that part. The thing is, the story that everybody says is so great doesn't really make sense without it.

The mod doesn't remove the mechanic, but it does prevent the negative aspects (or so I understand as I've never used it myself). I get that it is a pain to deal with. My own Wizard had a particularly tough time given some of the 'negatives' that happen, but it is survivable if not necessarily as much fun as it could have been.

One reason that I haven't given MotB another chance is that I always want to raise my character up through the OC first, and I keep getting bogged down in those middle and early end-game chapters I was talking about. I know it starts to pick up again in the finale. But that middle of the story is sooooooo long...

I suffer this same issue.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2015
    For a SoZ party, I found it was best to create characters at leisure and save them, then start the game and load them in later.

It does have joinable NPC companions too.

For MotB, play a barbarian. Not only are they less bothered than spellcasters by that mechanic, but they get some bonus stuff just for them too.
    I want to play SoZ again but I'm going to finish the OC and MotB before I do it. I loooovee the old school feel of SoZ. Like, create your party and then adventure. It also does the JRPG overworld map better than any JRPG. I like that the survival, seach, spot, listen, lore, spellcraft, crafting, and a plethora of other skills affect what you can find on the overworld map.
    HNNNNGGG
    In Duskwood, which is the coolest zone by the way, I met two gnome girls collecting insects. THEN THEY TURNED INTO ADORABLE LITTLE GNOME-WEREWOLVES.

I WANT ONE.
    I WANT TWENTY.
    Tiny little were-gnome-wolves.
    Too cute.
    The thing with Were creatures is that once you have one, you are likely going to have a whole lot more in short order. They are like cute, furry, homicidal bunny rabbits in that way.

XD
    Also, I used my bluff to gain the dust I need from the Dryad for the trial. She's asking for a glowstone but I don't want to hurt the goblins. Solution? Don't do the quest. I have the dust I need for the trial and I don't want to hurt the Dryad because she's a Fey like Piro is but the goblins aren't bad so Piro doesn't want to hurt them.
    You definitely have a unique way of looking at things, I'll give you that. But hey, more power to ya for it. Role play is my favorite part of these types of games.
    Finished the trial. Kelghar fought in combat for me since he was so upset about the whole thing. He wrecked Lorne super hard XD

I have to say the trial was really fun. I got to use my diplomacy and perform abilities to help win the favor of the court. I'm glad I ran the game as a Bard so I would have all these skill points to use in dialogue!
    @Vallmyr, I've never used Khelgar to win the Lorne fight before. I've always wondered how he'd do. By the time I fight Lorne, my PC's always have their AC so high that he can't hit them, and they devastate him.

It pretty much comes down to AC. As long as you have more than 30 AC, you can beat him, especially if you have spells, because he can't hit AC 30+ on anything less than a critical. He's very vulnerable to magic, and to spells like Haste.

One of the things about NWN2 that's a plus or a minus depending on your point of view, is that any character class can get AC 30+ pretty easily, by armor or spell, and magic items.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    NWN2 OC really isn't that bad, all in all. Compared to NWN1 OC it is magnificent - I don't see how people can forget the atrocity that was the NWN1 OC. Very formulaic and lacking in narrative. NWN2 is always going somewhere, at least (but yes, agreed with regards to the Old Owl Well woes that others mention).

I like the NPCs of NWN2 OC. Some of them I could do without, but I don't think they are meant to be wildly out-of-touch with the archetypes. They bring the archetypes to life in a lot of cases. Qara and Sand's beautiful duality, portraying the irreconcilable differences between a Sorcerer and a Wizard is my favourite part of the game, personally. I am very much at advocate of the distinction between Sorcerer and Wizard, and like to see it come into RP. A lot of content was cut regarding these two, which is disappointing, but they still are very great characters in my opinion.

Neeshka is sort of the worst, I'll admit. Casavir isn't much fun. Grobnar Gnomehands needs to be killed. I would love to see a sincere, interesting Gnome NPC that doesn't rely on comic relief. I fear the day shall never come, however.

@Vallmyr keep going, and have fun! It's isn't as bad as people like to complain about. Foremostly the problem with NWN2 is the AI and rather hard-to-manage layout, in my opinion. Everything takes so much longer than it needs to, comparative to NWN1, BG, and other predecessors.

All of that said, it never had enough charisma to encourage me to buy the expansion packs or try playing it online. I would much rather return to NWN1 for that - and I do: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44111/the-easting-reach-a-credit-to-the-experience-of-bg1#latest :)
    I always saw Sorcerers as the poor man's wizard. Qara exemplifies that for me XD
    WIZARD MASTER RACE!
    SORCERER PEASANTS!

Legit though I really like the cast so far. My Piro character is actually evolving quite a bit. In the begining she started like Grobnar. Annoying, obnoxious, happy-go-lucky sort. Now I'm starting to pick more jaded, almost evil, dialogue options. After trying so hard to remain cheerful but terrible things keep happening to her it's hard. Amie's death in the beginning, Ember being wiped out and her being blamed for it, mistrust from the people she protected while she was part of the Watch. As stated she just ran away from the situation with the Dryad and the Goblins as opposed to trying to deal with it and make a decision. She's still chaotic good but I wouldn't be surprised if she began to drop back down to Chaotic Neutral.

I finished Neeshka's quest with her rival and Khelgar is now a monk!

I don't mind gnomes being comic relief but I want substance behind it.
    Like the "I'm so happy because I'm trying to cover up my distraught and troubled inside self."
    That's actually my favorite character trope.
    @Vallmyr, hmm, about making Khelgar a monk. You may regret that choice later. You did find find those Ironfist gloves and give them to him, right? You haven't seen the last of the Ironfists. I don't want to spoil you, though. I don't *guess* you'll really regret helping him get what he said he wanted, but well...

You'll find out eventually. ;)
    Indeed I did give him the gloves. I think monk Khelgar is cool since I personally enjoy having a monk in my party. It's the reason why I'm using Rasaad currently in BG:EE.
    edited November 2015
    @Vallmyr, and, I'm thinking about trying a BG run with Rasaad, Neera, and any new NPC's that get introduced in SoD, in the near future after I get done with my current MM 6-7-8 trilogy run.

I've never really just accepted the challenge of having Rasaad and Neera with their weaknesses through a BG1 run before, but I should probably try it sometime soon. They're certainly interesting people, flawed character classes be durned.

One of things I like very much about the NWN2 OC is that it also has "interesting people" for npcs, regardless of what weaknesses and flaws might come up mechanically in game. I find many npcs in many games I've played to be quite forgettable (What was that fighter guy's name in PoE again, and that mage dude, and that bard dude, and that dwarf ranger woman? I couldn't tell you right this moment to save my life - and what was *any* character's name in D:OS?)

I will never forget the names or personalities of anyone in the NWN2 OC. And sorry, MotB fans, but I could not recite to you any names from characters in MotB. I just remember "redundant mage woman", "rainbow bear", "generic hippie druid", and "angel girl".
    edited November 2015

I will never forget the names or personalities of anyone in the NWN2 OC. And sorry, MotB fans, but I could not recite to you any names from characters in MotB. I just remember "redundant mage woman", "rainbow bear", "generic hippie druid", and "angel girl".

I just remember "redundant mage woman", "rainbow bear", "generic hippie druid", and "angel girl".

"rainbow bear"

I'm sorry what
    RAINBOW BEAR!?
    WHAT
    I WANT ONE

Edit: I currently have Rasaad, Neera, Dorn, Viconia, and Imoen in my iPhone run of BG:EE. I plan to remove Dorn once we finish his quest at Baldur's Gate and then I'll pick up my beloved Alora. So far I like the party a lot.

They bring the archetypes to life in a lot of cases. Qara and Sand's beautiful duality, portraying the irreconcilable differences between a Sorcerer and a Wizard is my favourite part of the game, personally. I am very much at advocate of the distinction between Sorcerer and Wizard, and like to see it come into RP. A lot of content was cut regarding these two, which is disappointing, but they still are very great characters in my opinion.

I think that's kind of the problem, it feels like being stuck in an extended tutorial for D&D noobs. I KNOW the difference between sorcerers and wizards, I don't need my nose rubbed in it for hours to get the point.

I would rather see a DIFFERENT take on archetypes, something I wouldn't have thought of myself.
    edited November 2015
    Vallmyr said:

Indeed I did give him the gloves. I think monk Khelgar is cool since I personally enjoy having a monk in my party. It's the reason why I'm using Rasaad currently in BG:EE.

The problem is NWN2 has such an abundance of magic items that a monk is really just a fighter who is inferior because they can't use most of the loot.

If there where any situations where it was actually necessary to fight without weapons and armour, then there might be a point to it, but as it stands it really just makes Khelgar less effective.

It would have been much better if Khelgar had either:

1) been allowed to multiclass;
    2) been given a substantial boost to wisdom, so that he at least wasn't a rubbish monk;
    3) wanted to be a wizard, bard or something else completly different (not druid, dwarven druid has painful associations);
    4) wanted to be a weapon master (bending the rules for unarmed) or something else that would have added to his combat abilities.
    @Fardragon , in fairness, you get to respec Khelgar's feats and stats if you convert him, so you can give him the high wisdom he needs to be a good monk. The monk levels completely replace his fighter levels, and you get to rebuild him from level one. My problem with doing that to him is that he can't use some really neat equipment later in the game that is perfect for him as a fighter. So, your basic point is sound. I converted him to monk one time, because that's what the game encourages the player to do, and I regretted it.
    Sort of off subject real quick my Use Magic Device is wonderful. My Bard being able to equip any armor (currently using special rogue armor that has high AC) and use almost any scroll is great.

Oh, didn't bring Elanee with me but need some to cast restoration? USE MAGIC DEVICE ACTIVATE! I love it. I need to make a UMD char in my PnP games.
    edited November 2015
    o_o
    I got an atheist cleric?
    Or something?
    She's a Cleric but has no deity. She's also a Githzerai.
    I put her in the ceremonial elven armor I got from Neeshka's quest (I think it was her quest) but her model didn't change so I assume she always looks half-naked >_>

Anyway, I'm happy to have gotten a Cleric though! Between Sand and this new character I should have all the Necromancy I need for the rest of the game.

Edit: She has Planar ally and can summon a Sylph which is like a small faerie-thing, cool!

Edit the second: Ohhh ok. She just doesn't "worship" a traditional deity. She follows an ideology but not a singular figure. Ok.
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Know that she never stops saying know that. Know that? :)
    elminster said:

Know that she never stops saying know that. Know that? :)

Yeah I noticed she's really fond of the word. I assume it has to do with her having the Knowledge domain and I assume Zerthimon is all about knowledge or something. @_@.
    I think her "know that" expression is supposed to be some kind of cultural or linguistic thing, sort of like saying "Verily I say unto you". But her writers definitely went overboard with the idea, making it a parody of itself.

Know that I was going to try to make a joke about how Zhjaeve starts almost every sentence with "know that", but know that @elminster beat me to it.
    edited November 2015
    Also, every time I see the tooltip say "Enter CK Courtyard" I read it as Enter Candlekeep Courtyard >_>
    Post edited by Vallmyr on