Skip to content

NWN2's OC isn't as bad as everyone says it is, I think (Spoilers for part of NWN2).

Comments

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Fardragon said:

For MotB, play a barbarian. Not only are they less bothered than spellcasters by that mechanic, but they get some bonus stuff just for them too.

Sorry, but that's quite foolish. Barbs aren't only a weak class in the first place, their key ability has limited uses per day, and even that becomes obsolete with all the ridiculous gear that you get in MotB. Anything that a barb can do, a fighter will do better.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2015
    iKrivetko said:

Fardragon said:

For MotB, play a barbarian. Not only are they less bothered than spellcasters by that mechanic, but they get some bonus stuff just for them too.

Sorry, but that's quite foolish. Barbs aren't only a weak class in the first place, their key ability has limited uses per day, and even that becomes obsolete with all the ridiculous gear that you get in MotB. Anything that a barb can do, a fighter will do better.
    And there is nothing a Fighter can do that a Fighter/Divine Champion/Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple power build can't do better. But I'm talking story, not uber-power. MotB isn't so difficult that you need teh most powerful character eveh in order to win.

As you point out, it's not like Rage is so powerful that it really matters if you run out of daily uses but want to keep resting to a minimum.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Well, this is DnD. There's nothing a Fighter can do that a single class Wizard can't do better.
    scriver said:

Well, this is DnD. There's nothing a Fighter can do that a single class Wizard can't do better.

Ah, but there is that "mechanic" in MotB that affects resting and makes single class wizards slightly less OP.
    edited November 2015
    Fardragon said:

iKrivetko said:

Fardragon said:

And there is nothing a Fighter can do that a Fighter/Divine Champion/Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple power build can't do better. But I'm talking story, not uber-power. MotB isn't so difficult that you need teh most powerful character eveh in order to win.

As you point out, it's not like Rage is so powerful that it really matters if you run out of daily uses but want to keep resting to a minimum.
    I'm not talking about uber power either, what I am talking about is that you are calling a shitty melee class good for completing MotB, which is clearly untrue. On a sidenote, F/S/DC/RDD is quite far from a power build. It's mediocre at best, but at least not as useless as a barbie. If you really want a power build for MotB, you either go with F14/Bard1/RDD10/FB5 and just IPA and cleave everything to death, or one of those Monk11/Fighter12/Duelist5/DC2 with over 9000 attacks per round and ridiculous AC. But if you still want to be a barb (for RP reasons or whatnot), you can make a F12/DC10/WM7/Barb1 or F14/DC10/FB5/Barb1 and have much more fun than being a pointless and boring piece of meat that is good at nothing at all.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Well
    My current build plan is to go straight Bard 30.
    XD

From an RP standpoint I don't really know what else Piro would enter.
    Pure Bard is legit. A few dips of RDD, Cleric, SD, Ranger or some other stuff here and there can make your life better though.
    edited November 2015
    iKrivetko said:

Pure Bard is legit. A few dips of RDD, Cleric, SD, Ranger or some other stuff here and there can make your life better though.

Hm. . . shadowdancer wouldn't be a bad move. Could add to the trickster element of the character. How many levels would you recommend? Just one for Hide in plain sight?
    One for HiPS or two for Evasion > Expose Weakness in the epics.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I see people hinting around at it and don't wish to be spoilerish, so:

The 'Mechanic' does have a greater impact on those not focused on STR. No matter what gear you get you are gonna be hurting in certain situations. Just saying... My Wizard had to manage the experience at every single step and that part of it was not fun. There was more than once where he was completely immobilized and I had to reload.
    I'm sure a single class bard would do fine in MotB. UMD FTW!
    I loooovvvee UMD. It's my favorite skill. Bards are quickly becoming my favorite D&D class. Baldur's Gate with Use Any Item, 3.5/Pathfinder with UMD. The ability to use items, scrolls, and armor/weapons that you couldn't normally use is GREAT! My NWN2 Bard has an amulet that can only be used by an evil character that gives +3 wis and +3 cha but she's using it with UMD even though she's Chaotic Good. I love it.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Vallmyr , Is Piro human? If not, watch out for the favored class rule if you start dipping other classes, or you could wind up with an experience penalty. A human can take a second class with any number of levels they want, because their first class is automatically their favored class. Humans can even take third and fourth classes and need only keep the new classes within one level of each other. (I don't advise spreading it out too thin, though.)

Non-humans have specific favored classes, and if their first class wasn't favored, if they take a second class that is also not favored, they have to keep those two classes within one level of each other to avoid experience penalty.

Prestige classes don't count for this. You can have a prestige class at any level without worrying about it.

The wiki probably explains it better:
    http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Multiclass_penalty

If you already knew about all this, disregard this post. I'm just trying to give you a friendly heads-up in case you didn't know.
    edited November 2015
    /nods, fortunately Piro is a Gnome which has Bard as its favored class. If I do end up taking another class it will probably be the Shadowdancer which if I recall prestige classes have no exp penalty.

Edit: Derp I said Bard instead of gnome. Derpity derp.
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
    D:
    Piro's hometown got super wrecked :(
    I think this might be the event that breaks her as a character. I'm walking (as opposed to running) and sobbing over each corpse I find, Brother Merring, Georg. . . I hope her father and Tarmas are ok. Those are the only two I haven't found.
    edited November 2015
    I'm just now crafting items, preparing to gain revenge for my fallen friends and family.
    Sand has forged me a wonderful sword; The Seelie Summer Sword! It's a +4 (Will upgrade to +5 later) fiery sword that was once a Feyduster+2. Has a DC 16 50% chance to cause people to sleep for two rounds.

I figure my Bard that's taking all the Fey feats should have a sword of the Fey! I plan to get an offhand shortsword to +5 as well with 1d6 ice damage and call it The Unseelie Umbral Usher. Hehe. I like these names. Though, my character is 15 and doesn't even have Two weapon fighting yet. I've been using this dagger that grants the feat for free. Maybe I'll turn it into my off-hand sword so I'll never have to actually get the feat XD

Edit: Also I take back what I said. Bishop and Grobnar's interactions have made me love both characters more. Grobnar isn't so bad. If I weren't a Bard myself I would use him.
    edited November 2015
    iKrivetko said:

Fardragon said:

iKrivetko said:

Fardragon said:

I'm not talking about uber power either, what I am talking about is that you are calling a shitty melee class good for completing MotB, which is clearly untrue. On a sidenote, F/S/DC/RDD is quite far from a power build. It's mediocre at best, but at least not as useless as a barbie. If you really want a power build for MotB, you either go with F14/Bard1/RDD10/FB5 and just IPA and cleave everything to death, or one of those Monk11/Fighter12/Duelist5/DC2 with over 9000 attacks per round and ridiculous AC. But if you still want to be a barb (for RP reasons or whatnot), you can make a F12/DC10/WM7/Barb1 or F14/DC10/FB5/Barb1 and have much more fun than being a pointless and boring piece of meat that is good at nothing at all.
    I think you just have a problem with Barbarians, since you suggest levels of weaponmaster, which is entirely useless in MotB since almost everything is immune to critical hits. I wouldn't recommend duelist or monk either. And what's with the 30 level builds? Normal finish level for MotB is 28.

I don't think you can be very familiar with MotB, or you would know that Barbarian is suggested as it is one of the few classes to get it's own series of sidequests.
    Derp, so it says only epic characters can enchant the dagger that gives the TWF feat >_<
    Guess I'll just have to actually pick up the feat when I next get the chance.
    So I think Casavir has a crush on Piro which is kind of cute :3

I also fully upgraded the Golem and it's reallllyy powerful XD
    I've spent the past three hours crafting and upgrading my keep and managing the soldiers/taxes and stuff. I'm having TONS of fun managing the keep and recruiting people. I even got Deekin, the best character from the original Neverwinter Nights. He had so many 4th wall breaking dialogue but it wasn't actually breaking the 4th wall. Things like, "I was selling novels in Icewind Dale but haven't heard from them in a while. Icewind Dale is probably dead."

I took this and implying the IWD series hadn't had a new game in ages. He also talked about how there were too many books about Drow and he wanted books about Kobolds. Which again I imagine is referencing Drizzt. I love this little guy and now he's in my keep n_n

Also, this is the first game where I've enjoyed crafting. I've kept every gem and crafting material since the start of the game so I've been sifting through my magic bag-thing to find the right components and create enchantments for my weapons.

So far I adore this game super hard.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2015
    I enjoyed some of the crafting options you got in the campaign, but I don't enjoy having the ability to add damage values to specific alignments or being able to craft your own +5 enchanted weapons. There's already a huge amount of magic items available for purchase or found in-game at some point, but when I can craft something that more or less puts every item you find in the game to shame...I'm somewhat disappointed. Now there are only limited amount of gems you can use to craft the strongest items, but they are still far too numerous imo.

And my pc and his party might be powerful, but imo they shouldn't be able to craft items that put centuries old magic items to shame:P
    Vallmyr said:

Derp, so it says only epic characters can enchant the dagger that gives the TWF feat >_<

It's because the maximum number of enchantments is capped at 3, but it increases to 4 if the enchanter is over level 20. You can't overwrite (for example) +2 with +3. You could give an item both, but it would use up two slots and only the best would apply.
    Fardragon said:

iKrivetko said:

Fardragon said:

iKrivetko said:

Fardragon said:

I think you just have a problem with Barbarians, since you suggest levels of weaponmaster, which is entirely useless in MotB since almost everything is immune to critical hits. I wouldn't recommend duelist or monk either. And what's with the 30 level builds? Normal finish level for MotB is 28.

I don't think you can be very familiar with MotB, or you would know that Barbarian is suggested as it is one of the few classes to get it's own series of sidequests.
    I have a problem with people suggesting rubbish. WM is one of the ways to go if you want a decent melee, and even though they are subpar in MotB (compared to a FB for instance), there is this specific weapon with the "spirit's ruin" feat. But since you are so familiar with MotB that you end every playthrough below the level cap, you should already know that. That's probably also why you don't recommend classes that scale with secondary abilities and heavily enchanted weapons in a setting where +8 gear is as common as dirt.

Anyway, this buffoonery is getting tiresome.
    Fardragon said:

Vallmyr said:

It's because the maximum number of enchantments is capped at 3, but it increases to 4 if the enchanter is over level 20. You can't overwrite (for example) +2 with +3. You could give an item both, but it would use up two slots and only the best would apply.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok! I'm assuming there are some weapons that bypass that limit or some such? because

+2 Feyduster
    +2 Enchantment
    50% chance to sleep targets

I upgraded to
    +2 (Inactive)
    +4
    +1d6 fire damage

Does the 50% sleep chance not factor in for how many enchants can be on the weapon?
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I wouldn't go for a critical/sneak attack focused build personally for MotB, at least if the only two weapons that do have the spirits ruin feat isn't something you want your character to use in the first place.

I'm not good at power builds and I mostly looked them up if I was playing online with other people. I mostly do builds for RP purposes or fun nowadays.

I think the quest in MotB works for Frenzied Berserkers as well as Barbarians. Not entirely sure though..

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Creating_an_item_with_all_ruin_feats

I remember reading this a few years back, although I haven't tested it myself.

I don't know if there's other stuff on the Neverwinter vault that can help you add these to the MotB campaign, but this seems like a solution if you absolutely need a weapon master or whatever.
    Vallmyr said:

Fardragon said:

Vallmyr said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok! I'm assuming there are some weapons that bypass that limit or some such? because

+2 Feyduster
    +2 Enchantment

I upgraded to
    +2 (Inactive)
    +4
    +1d6 fire damage

Does the 50% sleep chance not factor in for how many enchants can be on the weapon?
    Disregard his words. Enchantments of the same type override each other and do not occupy extra slots, however you still need a free slot to upgrade the existing enchantment. As it stands, you can no longer upgrade your Feyduster (unless you take it to MotB), however you could have upgraded to +5 later on if you hadn't added the fire damage bonus.
    iKrivetko said:

Vallmyr said:

Fardragon said:

Vallmyr said:

+2 Feyduster
    +2 Enchantment

I upgraded to
    +2 (Inactive)
    +4
    +1d6 fire damage

Disregard his words. Enchantments of the same type override each other and do not occupy extra slots, however you still need a free slot to upgrade the existing enchantment. As it stands, you can no longer upgrade your Feyduster (unless you take it to MotB), however you could have upgraded to +5 later on if you hadn't added the fire damage bonus.
    Ohhhh ok.

So I can have a maximum of +5 enchants not including special effects? So like

I could make a +3 Feyduster with 1d6 fire and 1d6 ice or a flat +5 with no other enchantments?
    edited November 2015
    iKrivetko said:

Fardragon said:

iKrivetko said:

Fardragon said:

iKrivetko said:

Fardragon said:

I have a problem with people suggesting rubbish. WM is one of the ways to go if you want a decent melee, and even though they are subpar in MotB (compared to a FB for instance), there is this specific weapon with the "spirit's ruin" feat. But since you are so familiar with MotB that you end every playthrough below the level cap, you should already know that. That's probably also why you don't recommend classes that scale with secondary abilities and heavily enchanted weapons in a setting where +8 gear is as common as dirt.

Anyway, this buffoonery is getting tiresome.
    You really are quite obnoxious, aren't you?! I hate to think what a barbarian did to you as a small child. Given that we are talking about playing MotB without foreknowledge of what items are available, it would be accurate to say that that if you choose to be a weaponmaster of anything other than a falchion or rapier your abilities are useless.

Yes I know falchion is the leet powergaming weaponmaster's weapon of choice. I'm pretty sure Vallmyr has no interest in powergaming, just in getting the most from the story.
    edited November 2015
    batoor said:

I think the quest in MotB works for Frenzied Berserkers as well as Barbarians. Not entirely sure though..

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Creating_an_item_with_all_ruin_feats

You can do the quest with any class (although some would find it very difficult), but I think the reward only works with Rage, not Frenzy. Frenzy suffers more than Rage with the bonus cap anyway, although extra attacks are always welcome.

Edit: checked, I'm not wrong.
    Vallmyr said:

iKrivetko said:

Vallmyr said:

Fardragon said:

Vallmyr said:

+2 Feyduster
    +2 Enchantment

I upgraded to
    +2 (Inactive)
    +4
    +1d6 fire damage

Ohhhh ok.

So I can have a maximum of +5 enchants not including special effects? So like

I could make a +3 Feyduster with 1d6 fire and 1d6 ice or a flat +5 with no other enchantments?
    You aren't getting it. A weapon can have up to 3 enchantments of various kinds and until you have used up these enchantment slots, you can freely improve your existing enchantments with others of the same kind. The Feyduster has 2 enchantments by default (+2 and on hit sleep), so you can improve it from +2 to +3/4/5 as many times as you want as long as you don't add a third one that is different (fire damage in your case). If you were to add fire damage before enchanting it to +4 you wouldn't have been able to enchant it further and make it a +3/4/5.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Vallmyr , It's so delightful to see you enjoying NWN2 so much. You're getting me to really, really want to play it again myself. I may take a break from my MM games and start playing NWN2 for a while over the Thanksgiving weekend.

My right wrist is acting up with arthritis again and hurting. MM takes two hands to play, while I can switch my Trackball mouse to left hand and play NWN2 with left hand only. That, and your excitement is contagious. :)