Skip to content

Euro 2016 and Confederations Cup 2017 football thread - share your impressions

Comments

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    2:0 for France. Griezmann for top scorer.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    "There can only be one king in Manchester"

Except... Zlatan is not in Manchester. Manchester is in Zlatan.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    FINAL

POR 1 FRA 1 POR win on penalties
    I will remember this FRA team from an unsportsmanlike final
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Not exactly a Christiano Ronaldo fan, but his injury was just plain cruel blow of destiny! Poor man.

Did not see any intended malice in Payet tackle though, perso.

Gotta hand it to PT though - France almost seemed more disarrayed following Ronaldo injury. Balance tipped very heavily for FR, obviously.
    @TStael You're kidding. Watch it again. He runs straight at Ronaldo and aims to knee him. The fact that he happened to hit to ball does not make it OK. That challenge could have been made without risk of injury had Payer chosen to.
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    Zzz.
    PORTUGAL FIGHTING
    Haha POR & I won :D
    0-1 to PT, sans Ronaldo - how's that for a result!

Satisfying in more ways than one, but I did flip off the telly as soon as the said man started strutting about sans shirt promoting his undies, lol.

Not exactly the goal-rich final I was hoping for, but also, if France could not use their luck against DE better than this, well - congrats to Portugal!
    edited July 2016
    @FinneousPJ it is very plausible we both filter per our preferences, a bit at least, but logically, if FR was planning to fiendishly take out Ronaldo, I'd not think they'd use their own key player for it risking sanctions etc.

I cannot say I know Payet before this tournament, but he has not come across as vicious and cynical player to me, so I prefer to think him not so vile.

It did delight me, ever so slightly though that PT only seemed to play better without their superstar, as a team pulled together by great fighting spirit. I like France, and think they have great individual talents, but Dechamps clearly has not managed to nurture particular creativity in their team-play. Another country that needs must kidnap Conte, eh?

Edit: @FinneousPJ - just what you needed for your prediction, right? Congrats on that account, plus for the result that must be very satisfying to ye!
    edited July 2016
    @TStael I'm not saying team FRA was planning anything but Payet had a split second decision where decided to do a dangerous play. If you can't see it you're wrong ;)
    Bah. Congrats to Portugal but hardly deserved. 24 teams ruined the Euro, now you can get lucky and avoid all good teams until the final :neutral:

@TStael I'm not saying team FRA was planning anything but Payet had a split second decision where decided to do a dangerous play. If you can't see it you're wrong ;)

:confused: If you think that was intentional you're blind. Not even a foul
    I knew the 24 team format would be a disaster, but I didn't think it would break down this quickly. They need to undo this immediately. The World Cup has now surpassed the Euros as the best show in International Football, and with Chile's heroics the Copa America is quickly catching up.
    @booinyoureyes Clearly intentional, my blind friend. Obviously boo has got your eyes!
  • DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698
    The unexpected, once again...
    I was not heavily supporting either of the teams, but I am happy for the portuguese, who achieved what they couldn't in 2004, when their victory seemed already written.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Anduin said:

I'm going...

Portugal 1- 0 France

This Portugal side has been blessed by the devilmummy... They souls are forfeit, but they will not lose...

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    As predicted I got the opposite of the result I predicted. I expected a one-goal victory to France and got a one-goal victory to Portugal. The only thing I failed to not predict was that the match would go into extra time. :wink:
    edited July 2016
    My title defense ended in greater disaster than the Golden State Warriors' AND the Spanish national team at the 2014 World Cup, but I had great fun! Congrats to @FinneousPJ Baldur's Gate Euro 2016 Champion (despite his slandering of Payet's good name :p)

We should continue a thread for the upcoming season (though it is a mere formality, as Atletico will win everything :p). I look forward to the transfer season.

Question: Where will Pogba go, and for how much?
    For your enjoyment: A Day in the Life of Zlatan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34iimFK3V5w
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Thank you @Bengoshi . I really enjoyed it. I may have not been around to make predictions at each turn (I spent many nights out watching the games though.) It was cracking.

Personally... I can't wait two years. How do you feel about running one for the Olympic games?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm going on a vacation starting from next week, @Anduin. So if anyone want to create a similar thread for the Olympic games, you're free to do so ;)

I think he'll stay at Juve.

I

I think he'll stay at Juve.
    I think he well might, but I perso find it a pity. The reason being: I watched him with bated breath two years back, in World Cup - yet I did not feel the same now, in Euros, two years of maturation and all.

I simply cringed internally that Bogba, whose fan I remain, had not evolved more. As comparison, Müller caught all our attention surely, at his WC debut - and he evolved from thence forward.

My personal and very speculative take is: Pogba might well benefit from "out of comfort zone" exposure unless Juve can do what Bayern M could with Müller. Or should I put this down to Dechamps, the nationla trainer... hum... don't like the feller...

PS. Enjoy holidays + thx a lot for keeping the score! I only wish the final had been less like Germany-Argentina at its least flattering, lol!
    This season will be very confusing

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I was on vacay for 5 weeks, but I just wanted to revive the thread and thank @bengoshi for setting the up the betting and administrating the scores etc. Well done!

I'm suprised it went so well for me, but congrats to @FinneousPJ on your well-deserved win!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Congratulations to Ronaldo!

I still remember how he decided to fight on in the final.
    edited December 2016
    I like your style JB, but as I post this, you must know we shall disagree.

I frankly do not think that the Golden Ball winner should be convicted or suspected of tax evasion. Having a skill without ethics or morality is empty to me, when much of the commercial proposition is based on admiration, borderlining adoration.

If Ronaldo has no solidary to his home nation of Portugal, which is financially struggling and not unconcerned of tax cohesion, I think it makes it only worse. I'd playfully enjoy he'd be condemed to scrub his own statue of pigeon-poo, to compensate his hundreds of millions of a tax sting - and tickets be sold to the spectacle. For the public good, and Portugese tax receipts... ;-)

Just because he is an ok footie player does not mean tax evation is ok too.
    @TStael Anyone can be suspected of anything. That shouldn't matter until the suspicion proves correct. Even then, I think a sports award should be based on merit within the sport, not ethics without.