Skip to content

I need the best melee and missile weapons in the game

What are they?

I plan on steamrolling through a game, writing down a bunch of stuff along the way, because I'm going to run players through the game in a tabletop D&D game.

My easiest way through a game is with warrior types, and giving them the best weapons.

I can figure out which characters to pick up, I just need to know what the best weapons are. This will also help determine the class of my character.

Thank you.

Comments

• YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486

BG1: Longswords!
    You can find a +2 by doing the first mainstory quest (nashkel mine)
    Dual Wielding for an extra attack

Or pick one from this list:
    http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate/melee.html

BG1 doesnt really have overpowered weapons, not like in 2

BG2:
    A Paladin with Carsomyr+5 should have an easy time.
    This weapon is available pretty early on.

Alternatively the Celestial Fury+3 Katana which stuns the enemie is OP as hell (goes thru stone skin)
    Also obtainable from the beginning
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    C:CreateItem("godbow")
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    This is not definitively answerable, @Klorox. There are plenty of good weapons, but which weapons are "best" depends upon your character-class and playing-style, and even then there's room for different opinions. Especially if you're including BG2ee as well (although that's not clear, since you've posted this in the BG1ee forum) ... it might be a little less controversial if you're talking about BG1ee only.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    edited November 2015
    Is this accurate?

Melee:

Ashideena hammer
    Spiders bane greatsword
    Stupifier mace
    Varscona long sword
    Staff +3
    Dagger of venom
    Both of Drizzt's scimitar

Missile:

X-Bow of Speed
    Eagle sh bow
    Comp Longbow +1
    Longbow of Marksmanship
    Sling +3
    Returning Axe
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Klorox said:

Is this accurate?

Melee:

Ashideena hammer
    Spiders bane greatsword
    Stupifier mace
    Varscona long sword
    Staff +3
    Dagger of venom
    Both of Drizzt's scimitar

Missile:

X-Bow of Speed
    Eagle sh bow
    Comp Longbow +1
    Longbow of Marksmanship
    Sling +3
    Returning Axe

Sort of. I would still mention the best two-handed sword in terms of damage and THAC0, the World's Edge, also known by the name of Two-handed Sword +3. The Spiders bane has a useful attribute, though.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited November 2015
    The ranged weapon list you gave is fairly complete, perhaps only missing the Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy and maybe some Darts of Stunning or Darts of Wounding. There are plenty of sweet melee weapons you are missing, though.

The Shadow's Blade +3 (short sword)
    Albruin bastard sword (immunity to poison and detects invisible, best bastard sword in every way possible)
    Katana +1 (the only magical katana)
    Staff of Striking (best staff by far but limited by charges)
    Staff Mace +2 (1 handed and good damage)
    Staff Spear +2 (good damage)
    The World's Edge +3 (2 handed sword)
    Gold Digger +1 (best damage 2 handed sword)
    Spear +2
    Suryris's Blade +2 (halberd)
    Longtooth Dagger +2 (1d6 base damage)
    Thresher +2 (flail)
    Mighty Oak +2 (club)
    Krotan's Skullcrusher +2 (mace)
    Bala's Axe (sucks, but good against casters)

This is not definitively answerable, @Klorox. There are plenty of good weapons, but which weapons are "best" depends upon your character-class and playing-style, and even then there's room for different opinions. Especially if you're including BG2ee as well (although that's not clear, since you've posted this in the BG1ee forum) ... it might be a little less controversial if you're talking about BG1ee only.

Bg1ee only.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    !! I only said it once! Still, what I say three times is true ...
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    edited November 2015
    Best Melee weapon: Half Orc Berserker, whatever he's specialized in...(He don't care about missile weapons)

Best Missile Weapon : Elf Archer +1 Long Comp Bow ...(He don't care about melee)

( I like a Blackguard or Fighter/Mage with spiderbane for steamrolling the game, Blackguard Poison wins, making his missile weapons the best in game, with the exception of the actual best missile weapons in game, which are in fact WANDS.)

!! I only said it once! Still, what I say three times is true ...

LOL, wonky phone.
    And I understand the best weapon is whatever I choose to specialize in. My point was to look for the best weapons overall, and reverse-engineer my party from there.

my play style is to be all good or neutral with my NPCs, as I don't want to bother getting a character to a decent level, only to lose him/her because I wasn't watching my reputation. Since this is a power run, and I'm not concerned with actual roleplaying, an evil character is not out of the realm of possibility for me.

I want every NPC to have at least ** in a ranged weapon. I tend to make an exception with Imoen, since she's so easy to dual class into a Wizard early on (depending on whether or not she'll be my thief. Either way, a Wizard who is launching arrows is very effective). I find that most of the combat in this game can be handled quicker and safer from a distance. When that option is eliminated, being good in melee is nice as well.

As I said in a previous post, my goal is to determine the best weapons and reverse-engineer my party from there.

My working party is as follows:

Imoen (eagle bow/staff of striking)
    Kivan (composite long bow +1/Spiders Bane)
    Coran (long bow of marksmanship/Varscona)
    Yeslick (Sling +3/Ashideena)
    Jaheira (Darts or Sling +1/Dagger of Venom)

That would leave my main character as a good candidate for a F/M, or just some kind of warrior (Berseker or Blackguard). I'd probably go for axes (missile) and the Stupifier mace, so I could use shields too. Since warriors get 6 proficiency points, I could also kill drizzt for some great scimitars.

• DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    Best by pure damage or useful effects?
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    edited November 2015
    Klorox said:

What are they?

I plan on steamrolling through a game, writing down a bunch of stuff along the way, because I'm going to run players through the game in a tabletop D&D game.

My easiest way through a game is with warrior types, and giving them the best weapons.

I can figure out which characters to pick up, I just need to know what the best weapons are. This will also help determine the class of my character.

Thank you.

Listen, if you want to breeze through the game:

(doesn't know how to use spoiler tags, but does use the space key)

take a Cleric/Thief, go to Ulgoth's Beard with about 7-9k and buy the greenstone amulet and the quarterstaff+3. Congrats, you just beat the game!

Your backstabs will be insane right away if you're a half-orc. You can sneak through the entire game with the sanctuary spell so just buff up remove traps, open locks, and detect illusion. Animate Dead just became your party. Greenstone amulet makes you immune to insta-kill mind related spells. Once you get the staff of striking and the ring of invisibility life becomes laughably easy. Just sell everything else off so you can keep recharging both items.
    Post edited by Tresset on

Best by pure damage or useful effects?

either. Both. Whatever. :)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Lateralus I edited your post to save space and to show you how to use the spoiler tags. You can edit your post to see what I did.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Klorox said:

Give her staff mace +2 once you get it instead of dagger, other than that you get everything covered.

If you just want to breeze through the game and don't care about nothing else, you could create an assassin/fighter MC and go with poison + darts and dual weilding scimitars (Drizzt's) for melee. Not that you need it though, the game is easy enough. You could ofc be a blackguard yourself and have poison that way. You don't have to act evil or plummet your rep just because you have an evil alignment if you don't care about RP.
    Skatan said:

Klorox said:

Give her staff mace +2 once you get it instead of dagger, other than that you get everything covered.

If you just want to breeze through the game and don't care about nothing else, you could create an assassin/fighter MC and go with poison + darts and dual weilding scimitars (Drizzt's) for melee. Not that you need it though, the game is easy enough. You could ofc be a blackguard yourself and have poison that way. You don't have to act evil or plummet your rep just because you have an evil alignment if you don't care about RP.
    I know the staff mace +2 is a higher base damage, but the dagger of venom is such a wicked weapon in this game.

I had a berserker 7 dual-classed into thief with ***** in dagger. If anything ever got close enough (he threw daggers constantly), he'd annihilate the enemy with poison.

Honestly though, it rarely mattered.

For fun he'd sneak and backstab. Missiles rule this game.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Klorox said:

I know the staff mace +2 is a higher base damage, but the dagger of venom is such a wicked weapon in this game.

I had a berserker 7 dual-classed into thief with ***** in dagger. If anything ever got close enough (he threw daggers constantly), he'd annihilate the enemy with poison.

I love the DoV for RP purposes, but I find it's poison to be weak and that most enemies save vs it too often for it to be a reliant source of damage. Maybe I'm just unlucky with rolls though.

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    DoV is good against mages because they have worse saves vs. poison and get their casting interrupted. Against warriors (especially ones in full plate or chain), the Staff Mace is often better. Like hypothetically, suppose you were fighting someone with a saving throw of 1 vs. poison and a +2 AC penalty vs. crushing damage. Just for the sake of argument, let's say it's a Drow Ranger. Then the Staff Mace would definitely be better.