Skip to content

Games stuttering after Windows 10 update 10586.11

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
I've looked for answers in many forums and until now I found nothing. After my update to Windows 10 everything was running just fine but update 10586.11 just killed game performance. All games are stuttering and basically unplayable no matter how old or new.

So far I've tried updating my AMD drivers to the beta version, updated all drives, turned off the entire xbox application, reinstalled direct x and noting seems to work. I also tried a sfc /scannow but no corruption of system files were detected. Anyone out there was hit by this problem and found a solution?

Any ideas on what else I could try? Applications are noticeably faster after the update. The problem only hits games.

Reverting to Windows 8 is not an option, mainly because this is the busiest time of the year for me, so I have no time for restoring my backup and reinstalling all my software, databases, etc..
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Knowing as little as I do about this sort of thing...

I would suspect that if only games are affected then there is some root cause. Like one single thing that all practically all games use that nothing else does. Graphics come to mind, but you say you updated drivers... Sound also comes to mind... try looking into that maybe? If you have any spare video cards lying around that are not in use try switching them out to see if the problem goes away. Maybe try the same thing with sound cards? Processor cards? If you do something like disable a game's sound completely and the problem goes away, then hey, you know what the source of the problem is! that is the kind of thing I would do, but then again, I don't know much about this stuff and what I suggest is mostly just a possible start for some detective work.
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I noticed some sound weirdness in videos. I'll try to uninstall and reinstall sound drivers...
    @Tresset It was a good idea, but no luck with reinstalling the sound driver either...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Download RivaTuner Statistics or similar software to check your resource utilization.

BTW, did you delete the old drivers?
    edited November 2015
    @FinneousPJ I did... I'll download the program and post the results, thanks...

Tried it. It won't install because it uses an unsigned driver.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I've been experiencing some slowdown too. It looks like a memory leak to me, as it seems to get worse the longer I play a game.
    FinneousPJ
    @BelgarathMTH Before the latest update it was really good. Much faster than 8 in any situation. Something just broke in this latest update though and I can't figure out what it was...
    edited November 2015
    I have narrowed the problem down to be something in the AMD drivers... if I switch my notebook to the Intel HD all games run smooth but at a much lower quality, of course... The new Crimson Drivers released today seem not to recognize my notebook's switchable graphics.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Try putting in older drivers?
    @FinneousPJ I will hunt for them.. Right now I reverted to the Windows current drivers...
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    The only issues I have had was with the KB3106932 and KB3105210 updates. After the update occurred, my five week old laptop started throwing a fit and became very unstable. Videos, e.g. those being played from a disc or those stored as MP4, were lagging, my laptop's Ethernet connection was constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, and playing any game, even Solitaire, was jumpy.

Neither update could be located in the installed updates, so removing them that way was impossible. Given that I know Windows 10 now wants to automatically update with little to no choice on the users' end, at least on Home, I had to disconnect from the internet entirely in order to do a system restore and prevent the updates from downloading again via additional software from Microsoft which does not come as standard (functionality that, I might add, was included as default in Windows 7), and then finally reconnect to the internet.

These hassles didn't occur in Windows 7 because there was always an easy to use hide/disable feature for things like updates, or some way that one could disable updates entirely, or select from a list. Ever since Windows 7, both 8/8.1 and 10 feel like one step forward and two steps back. It probably shouldn't be surprising that ever since the service life of XP ended, Windows 7 usage increased to beyond 50% of the total market share.

I have several gripes with Windows 10, not least is the inability to control updates—which I consider a base necessity when it comes to Microsoft's proven track record of bad updates that cause complete system instability and blue screens. But at least coloured title bars are coming back, right? Right?

Even with all my gripes, and the privacy concerns that the media keep bringing up, I still consider it better than Windows 8/8.1.

And that was much longer than my initial reaction of "I've had similar issues after doing a couple updates. My solution was the do a system restore to a point prior to the updates." :neutral:
    FinneousPJmlneveseBelgarathMTH
    edited November 2015
    I do have a system image from before the update and all my important files are saved in the cloud the moment they are created or modified. I have not restored from backup yet exactly for the reasons pointed by @Troodon80. I'll just have no way to stop the update from happening again so I'll just be losing my time restoring and waiting for my computer to sync all the files created or modified after the backup.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    FinneousPJ
    edited November 2015
    I am trying my last resort before a format... Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Progress!!! Now System restore is working again (I discovered yesterday it was crashing the system) and games are just crashing instead of stuttering... Time to reinstall drivers :)
    edited November 2015
    @mlnevese, this is the tool to (temporarily) prevent updates from being reinstalled. You could try that before resorting to a clean image. Disconnect the device from the internet, then do a system restore, hide the update using the above tool (download it before disconnecting, obviously), and then reconnect to the internet. I'd suggest running this batch script and then restart before actually trying to connect to the internet again.

The Windows 7 version: open Windows Update, right click update before download/installation, select hide update. Done.
    @Troodon80 I will try it as a least resort. Thanks :)
    I updated with additional advice. Run the script to reset the Windows update components, otherwise it might still try to download the updates if it hasn't been refreshed.
    @Troodon80 Thanks. I tracked down a program that was crashing during games and unistalled it (Dell Support Assistant). The slow down problems are still there...
    Well I have just restored my previous backup and will try the update again. This time I'm taking some steps such as uninstalling incompatible software and completely turning off my security software... If it goes wrong I'll just restore my backup from yesterday and live without games until I have one or two free days to do a clean install...
    FinneousPJTroodon80JuliusBorisov
    Six hours later I'm back to my backup of yesterday. A complete loss of time but at least now I know It :)

Well looks like there are no games in my near future :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Well the EEs and Torchlight run well on the Intel HD 5500...
    JuliusBorisov
    Of course this Windows Bug did not stop me from buying the Lengend of Grimrock bundle at 80% discount today :)
    [Deleted User]
    All right. I have isolated the bug to be located in the directx9 and directx10 dlls that were updated in the last build. I've been unable to find a way to force Windows 10 to install an older version though. I'm open to ideas :)

DirectX 11 works wonderfully by the way.
    FinneousPJ
    Just tried a repair install of Windows 10... It didn't work, the bug was still present. At least it's consistent :)
    Curious. After fixing the previous issue I had, I switched over to the Insider Preview builds—I haven't seen anything similar to what you are describing with DirectX. Are you using integrated graphics or a dedicated graphics card? Perhaps just try downloading and reinstalling DirectX 9?
    @Troodon80 It's integrated. It's a Dell Inspiron 5548 with integrated Intel HD5500/AMD R7 m260. The previous build of Windows 10 had no problems with it. Current one shows problems in Direct X 9 and 10 software in general. I've seem reports in the Dell forums that even Autocad starts stuttering if it's run under the AMD chip.

So far I've tried:

Returning to a backup of previous Windows 10 build and reapplying the update - failed

Reinstalling Direct X - Windows auto-repair medially changes the installed direct x files with the new ones

Repair install - the bugs show up immediately

Updating drivers - The current crimson drivers makes very little difference.

What I find very curious in this bug is that DirectX 11 software is completely unaffected. Games like Banished, for instance, are actually running better after the update... I am not sure about OpenGL... are the EEs OpenGL or DirectX based? If they re OpenGL then it´s affected as well.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I have an ageing video card that isn't fully DirectX 11 compatible, and I have similar bug, although it just causes periodic slowdown rather than total unplayability. I suspect tweaks aimed at making modern stuff run better are giving older stuff a tough time.

It's a conspiracy to stop us playing old games and using old PCs!
    mlnevese
    edited December 2015
    @Fardragon Actually the way the only Direct X 11 game I have installed is behaving after the update made me think the same...

Even recent Direct X 10 games such as XCOM Enemy Within are stuttering. So is Pillars of Eternity.
    edited December 2015
    I think I'll live with this bug for now... returning to windows 8 would take me between 6 to 10 hours, considering the time to restore factory settings, downloading updates, reinstalling software, restoring my personal files and my client's files, encrypting sensitive client data, reinstalling my office and litigation control software...

I think I can live with games on the Intel HD :)