Skip to content

The Black Hound as a possible expansion for either BG2EE or IWD2EE?

As we all know Beamdog was allowed to create a new expansion for BGEE, The Siege of Dragonspear. Does this mean that they can create expansions for the other enhanced editions as well? Whatever the case it got me thinking about the possibility to recreate Baldurs Gate 3: The Black Hound as an expansion for either BG2EE or as an expansion for IWD2EE if that's ever released.

The reason I say as an expansion for Icewind Dale 2EE are the following excerpts from The Black Hounds Wikipedia page:

"The game would not have been a sequel to Baldur's Gate II in terms of story but rather gameplay, however, it did continue part of story of Icewind Dale II through joinable NPC's, specifically Maralie Fiddlebender, who would have been an adult in the story. There was a hound featured in the storybook of Icewind Dale II of which Maralie narrated, according to the developers, the game would have revolved around this hound."

and:

"None of the characters from the previous Baldur's Gate games would have returned, the cast would have been completely original as well as the story, although characters from the Icewind Dale series would have returned."

also:

"The game was announced in 2002 and was said to use the D&D 3rd Edition ruleset."

Since Icewind Dale 2 makes use of the 3rd edition ruleset The Black Hound would be more suitable as an expansion to IW2EE than BG2EE. But that depends on if IWD2EE is ever released or not.

Do you think it would be possible to recreate The Black Hound and release it as an expansion to one Beamdogs many enhanced editions? Maybe hire MCA to lead the project since he is free now. He did comment on the script fo Siege of Dragonspear and he have also said that he would gladly help out with the enhanced edition of Planescape Torment if that's ever released.

Comments

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I'd love to see the Blackhound being picked up again, but I don't think it would be wise to do so as an expansion. Personally I think it would be best to have it be done in cooperation between Beamdog and Obsidian (and maybe get some other folks who worked on it back then) and do it like Pillars of Eternity. Even if that does mean they'd have to switch to 5E, but we can't live in the past for ever :'I

Though to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they already used a lot - if not most - of the ideas from the Black Hound in other games, which would render an actual release practically redundant.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited December 2015
    BG3 will elude us till the day it'll happen. I think it won't be anytime soon.
    Continuation of the storyline immediately after BG2 is not a good direction for the game in my opinion .
    BG3 should start centuries after, on ruins of Baldur's gate and set up the plot from completely different standpoint.
    Pillars of Eternity marked RPG genre and elevated the goal and expectations of any serious RPG game.
    So, with all that, there is probably a great concern and burden behind the name of Baldur's gate 3.

But, in 2016 releases are: SoD, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Dark souls 3, Final fantasy, Divinity original sin 2 . That's quite RPG's there, which will also, I believe, set up new modern standards for the genre.

We should await SoD release and announcement for Beamdog's roadmap development.

And, BG3 will stay in my daydream (till it'll come true).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Prollen said:

As we all know Beamdog was allowed to create a new expansion for BGEE, The Siege of Dragonspear. Does this mean that they can create expansions for the other enhanced editions as well? Whatever the case it got me thinking about the possibility to recreate Baldurs Gate 3: The Black Hound as an expansion for either BG2EE or as an expansion for IWD2EE if that's ever released.

Just going to point out that Icewind Dale 2 is set in 1312 DR, roughly 57 years before the events of BG2EE.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Prollen - Beamdog was allowed to expand BG1ee, but not for free. IP rights to the setting belong to WotC, and no-one can make commercial use of it without first negotiating a licence from WotC.

To recreate BG3: the Black Hound, there'd have to be a licence from WotC, but probably also from whoever now owns the rights to the specific ideas created for the aborted development project, so it might be quite complex to get all the legalities lined up.
    Well, there have been hints that a new project is in the works:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/693016/#Comment_693016

The question is just: What is it?

The question is just: What is it?

Ah, sweet speculations :smile:

*Takes off developer hat* (also I just do QA anyways so this isn't something I have any control over)

Anyways, I think if anyone was going to do any "BG3" game or post-BG2EE expansion it would make the most sense to base it around the Murder in Baldur's Gate campaign. Now obviously you'd need to flesh it out some more. The material is already there and you are already basing it off things that Wizards has written.
    I like that idea! That way there would be a way to bring Charname back without breaking canon! Simply import a savegame from ToB and The-Bhaalspawn-that-we-don't-talk-about-here will be switched out!

edited December 2015
    Wouldn't really work unless you chose to give up bhaal's essence at the end of BG2EE. Abdel Adrian made that decision (though a tiny portion of his divine heritage remains) so that is why the events happen as they do.
    Nooooo, I don't want Adrian in my game >:'X
    And I am sure there is a way to implement all three endings into a game like this.
    edited December 2015

And I am sure there is a way to implement all three endings into a game like this.

Could you implement it (as in functionally)? perhaps. Would it be good writing to do so? I don't think so.
    Why not? I mean, let's look at what BioWare did between DA:O and DA2 for example:
    Depending on wether or not you had Alistair be crowned the new king in DA:O, you would either meet him or Anora during the specific quest (i don't remember which). Since I played a human mage in both games, it was brought up that both protagonist where actually related. Some parts of DA2 played out completely differently simply based on what class you chose in the beginning. And the list goes on and on and on.

I haven't played Murder in Baldur's Gate and only know the basics of it, but for example, I do believe there is an encounter where you have to fight
    Abdel Adrian. So you could just switch him out for Charname. If Charname became a god, the encounter would be unusually powerful and you could do an additional quest beforehand where you'd search for a way to weaken them. Then of course the dialouges could be written differently based on what alignment Charname has or what decisions they made. Did they get married to one of the NPCs? Have them show up as well (if it fits the timeline).

Sure, it would be a lot of work, but it's doable o.o
    edited December 2015
    Problem is that each of the god paths in particular introduce a whole host of holes to have to deal with.

1. If charname became a god then then the fight between Abdel and Viekang can't happen because there is only Viekang (charname is just the player version of Abdel).
    2. At which point why is Viekang travelling to Baldur's Gate after 110 years? Unlike in the Murder in Baldur's Gate campaign charname isn't in the city (in the campaign Abdel is a duke in the city).
    3. If charname became an evil god then there has been a new lord of murder for 110 years. Even if you want to say that Bhaal somehow is still returning upon Viekang's death the fact that there has already been a "new" lord of murder for so long by itself kind of changes a lot about the story and how people react to the events in it. Also after 110 years most people would have forgotten the name Bhaal particularly if there is an existing god who identify as the lord of murder (since most of the people in Baldur's Gate are human we are looking at 2-3 generations after charname's ascension).
    4. Dealing with all the differing NPC outcomes.

Realistically this introduces a lot of writing issues before you've even started to plan out the rest of the game. Frankly I'd rather see all that time and energy instead focused on writing a story that incorporates a charname that chooses to remain mortal.
    Post edited by elminster on
    edited December 2015
    I see ... though, a lot of things in BG happen that aren't canon, so I don't really think bending here and there a bit would hurt o.o And who says that if Charname did choose to become a god, that they actually succeeded? What if they had lost their divinity. Or what if in their stead one of the companions shows up? (Maybe the chosen lover, maybe Imoen. [She is a Bhaalspawn too after all and a wizard to boot. I bet she could have survived this long.])

Either way, I really doubt folks would be happy to see Abdel instead of Charname :/
    edited December 2015
    Prollen said:

Whatever the case it got me thinking about the possibility to recreate Baldurs Gate 3: The Black Hound as an expansion for either BG2EE or as an expansion for IWD2EE if that's ever released.

What does the Black Hound refer to ?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Baldur's Gate 3: The Black Hound was a game that Bioware was working on, but never finished.
    BillyYank said:

Baldur's Gate 3: The Black Hound was a game that Bioware was working on, but never finished.

I know that but what is Black Hound, beyond the name?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    brus said:

BillyYank said:

I know that but what is Black Hound, beyond the name?
    From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

"The game would have revolved around the hunt for May Farrow, the evil cleric who killed a black hound. The Black Hound was the representation of the selfish acts of the game's main antagonist and would appear to the player through circumstance and remind him of his actions throughout the game."
    edited December 2015
    Sounds a lot like one of the earlier parts of the Witcher :)

(though a bit different)
    edited December 2015
    I've never thought it was developed so much.
    The game was going to use the Jefferson Engine. It's a 3D engine. I've always though 2D isometric graphics are superior to 3D. I still think Baldur's gate art style is better than in NWN and NWN2. Artist can express way more. What do you think about it ?

From Wikipedia:
    "May Farrow and her gang of raiders have spent weeks tracking down the black hound, the essence of May's guilt for unleashing a great evil. The player character is resting by the firelight in an old barn to hide from the storm outside when a black hound arrives and after being shot twice by an arrow, it cries one last time before it dies on the player lap. May almost kills the player, accusing him of being in league with the dog (meaning she thinks the player character is another essence of her guilt) and almost kills the player character (PC) before the Riders of Archendale save the PC. They question the PC, take the PC to the magistrate, who question the PC further and inform the PC not to leave the areas of North Sembia, Archendale, Battledale and Deepingdale. Whenever the player then approaches somebody with great guilt, the black hound appears to him and eventually the players actions make the player the essence of guilt throughout the four areas mentioned above. As the player unravels more secrets, he learns that he can't kill guilt, thus he cannot kill the black hound or what he has become (the player can physically die, but people won't forget about what the player did). Eventually, he learns the tale of a widowed farmer's wife, taking great guilt in her husband's death as for some reason she believes its her fault, she tries to resurrect him. She succeeds but finds him to be an abomination and cannot stop him, despite him being very weak at the time. Through the course of the game, the farmer is growing stronger and stronger off the guilt absorbed by the black hound through the player. The player learns of this wife being May Farrow, who believes killing the hound would be a way to stop the farmer, the hound however latched its soul onto the player and uses him as a tunnel to channel guilt to the farmer and as a guide to the world.

The game would not have been a sequel to Baldur's Gate II in terms of story but rather gameplay, however, it did continue part of story of Icewind Dale II through joinable NPC's, specifically Maralie Fiddlebender, who would have been an adult in the story. There was a hound featured in the storybook of Icewind Dale II of which Maralie narrated, according to the developers, the game would have revolved around this hound. The game was also revealed to have a connection to another one of Black Isle Studios games, Project Jackson. Project Jackson was then revealed to be Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II. This connection was unknown and as of current, there is only one connection known: a Forgotten Realms setting. It is possible that there could be a story connection due to both the Harpers and the Zhentarim being in the game, but this was never revealed by any developer on the project. It was only stated that the projects were related once in the entire history of the project."

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    BillyYank said:

Black Isle, not Bioware.
    edited December 2015
    This is really stunning but that won't be that stunning if you recreate it in 3D engine.
    2D isometric hand drawn art could capture more feeling and immersion than similar level in 3D.
    For example, look at Sword coast legends (Unity 3D) and Pillars of eternity (Unity 2D). I won't say this one or that one is better but PoE art sytle gives more pleasurable athmosphere, variety of environments and lush visuals than SCL in my opinion.
    I would like that next game will have similar art direction and style.

To be precise, doing that in 3D is possible but to do that you'll need to spend a lot more production money to make it in UE4, Cryengine...
    Post edited by brus on
    Plus, we all know how "well" the established game mechanics from the IE got transferred into 3D ... either it's an annoying mess of controlls (Neverwinter Nights) or they have to tone down the tactics so much that the gameplay hardly feels the same (Dragon Age).

I am on team 2D here.
    edited December 2015

Either way, I really doubt folks would be happy to see Abdel instead of Charname :/

Thats alright.

The Sword Coast Adventure's Guide actually states that Torlin Silvershield (another one of the grand dukes) was the "chosen" of Bhaal that transformed at the end of Murder in Baldur's Gate.

So whose to say who would end up as final fight for you to see. :)
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    bengoshi said:

The Black Hound had an awesome, stunning art: https://picasaweb.google.com/115072684633278055739/ProjectJeffersonArt?gsessionid=ymyaQNXzWy0aa5nQ342yMQ

After all these years, it will be hard to "re-enter this river", to capture the same feeling and even to remember what was behind that art. It will hard to find the same people, with the same mindset.

This is why picking up the Black Hound now could be very difficult, nigh impossible.

Whoa! Those are gorgeous! Just imagine those settings in an IE game...
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    edited February 2016
    Minas Morgul? :hushed:
    (+ *blown* Ephel Dúath)
    source above ofc..
    edited February 2016
    Rodrian said:

Nice concept.
    Can this concept art still be for use in BGNext? It has Black Isle logo but Black Isle in no more.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I'm going to be that guy and say it:

This...

"The game would not have been a sequel to Baldur's Gate II in terms of story but rather gameplay

...and this...

"None of the characters from the previous Baldur's Gate games would have returned, the cast would have been completely original as well as the story, although characters from the Icewind Dale series would have returned."

Make me glad this thing burned in development hell. I don't mean to disparage any artists (the idea and artwork are great, really), but I don't see any reason to call this thing Baldur's Gate 3 instead of Icewind Dale 3 other than "Baldur's Gate" is a stronger franchise name. It reeks of meddling executives insulting their audience's intelligence.