Skip to content

Is Vhailor's Helm Considered Cheesy for a Solo Run?

I recently came back to Baldur's Gate in the last few weeks after nearly a year of not playing it. I started a solo run for the whole trilogy as a Thief (I actually dualed from a Fighter at level 3 for the extra THAC0, Grand Mastery, weapon use, and hit points), and now I've reached the Underdark. I have to say, the most useful item so far has been Vhailor's Helm. Combine it with Improved Haste and Assassination, and you can half a group of enemies in seconds. The problem is that it feels cheesy at times, because it allows you to use scrolls over and over again without losing the item. I told myself when I got to Shadows of Amn that I wouldn't abuse the green scrolls, and I haven't. But I make use of scrolls such as Tenser's Transformation and Mislead, among other scrolls that I hoarded. This gives a HUGE buff to my simulacrum, to the point where it's like having a juggernaught fighting alongside me. Is this a legitimate solo tactic? It makes difficult fights seem easy.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    There is no point, really, in people judging what you do in your game. Some people will say it's cheese, some will say it isn't, and since there's neither any objective criteria to go by nor does it have any impact on anyone else, what good is their verdict, really?

If you feel it makes things to easy, you can stop using it. Or not. It's entirely and 100% up to you and what you want your game to be.
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    @Lord_Tansheron Oh, it's not really going to affect the way I do this run, because I'm half way through it. I'm just interested to know what other people think of it, and how they play their game. I'm quite competitive, so I like to play as hardcore as possible. I've already set myself some restrictions. I just want to see how the BG "veterans" do their solo runs, so I can take it into account the next time I play. Vhailor's Helm has always been a big part of my experience, but if the best players find using it to be a cheesy tactic, then I may consider leaving it out next time, or at least use it a lot less.

BG is a game I've always been good at, but there are objectively better players than me. I want to be as good as them. What's wrong with that? My enjoyment comes from trying to be as good as everyone else :)
    If you want to keep using powerful things but like the game to remain challenging, up the level on difficulty mods. That should keep you going for a while :)
    @Lord_Tansheron Doesn't SCS put restrictions on Vhailor's Helm? I'm in two minds whether or not to use SCS. I know most of the better players use it, but there are a lot of things I don't like about it.
    SCS has an optional component to move it to ToB, but it doesn't change the effect. Personally I use Item Revisions anyway so the helm isn't there anyway. From what I remember, though, it is definitely up there with the most powerful items in the game if used properly.
    @Lord_Tansheron Item Revisions? Does that change a lot?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @wraith5641: It adds 40% cold resistance and changes the name and appearance. But it's not in the same place... I don't know where to find it.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Gotural said:

After all, F/Ms can cast spells with their Simulacrum and it's perfectly legit.

I think that's the point. The root cause of the problem is the UAI, not the ability to use the quick slots.
    A thief who, all of a sudden, can cast level 9 spells...
    @Musigny Usually I wouldn't have a problem with Thieves using scrolls because scrolls are so limited. The problem is Simulacrum effectively gives you a Thief that can cast high level spells over and over again without you having to suffer any drawbacks. When you open your scroll case and have a look at the scrolls you have, you realize how scarce they really are. Vhailor's Helm takes away all the worry of having to use a valuable scroll that you might need later.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited February 2016

If you want to keep using powerful things but like the game to remain challenging, up the level on difficulty mods. That should keep you going for a while :)

I partially agree, as rising the difficulty playing on insane, adding mods and up to Nightmare Mod that give each enemy 3x +80 HP, if I am not wrong is one way to rise the challenge. Making the enemies more deadly.

But there is an other way, make yourself less deadly. You can choose to have sub optimal stats, play also the not so powerful classes (that once you play them or even better solo them reveal themselves to be a lot more powerful then you believe), don't go always for the power NPCs. And you can limit yourself in a lot of things, using scrolls and charge items from a clone is only an example, but also don't use some easy or too OP tactics, certain items, tricks to lower the down time of your duals and so on.

And this way is as good as the other one, and they are not in opposition, you can use something from the first and something from the second to set your personal level of challenge. According to your tastes.
    Because some of us like the idea to be a powerful one that defeats powerful enemies, others prefer a more ordinary charname.
    But there are more reasons, imo also more important reasons, the more you nerf yourself (in using some spells and items or some use of the clones, not in giving yourself low stats) the more you limit the possible tactics and experimentation. Playing a mage without RoV in not only more challenging, but make a lot of tactics impossible, after the TS he will cast almost always the 2 ADHW as if he waits the second turn to cast IA a little time is remaining for other effective tactics. With the robe he have a lot more options, time enough to cast spells that lower saves and magical resistance, buff the party, debuff the enemies, crowd control spells and so on. He can be a lot more creative in his TS. But playing without RoV make things like the duration of the casting or the effectiveness of the spell in that situation more relevant and the risk of being disrupted is rised, a good timing is needed. There is some good in both ways, well beyond liking to play a normal guy or a superman.

@wraith5641.
    You say " there are objectively better players than me. I want to be as good as them." and that is wonderful.
    Let me only suggest you to be a good player IN YOUR OWN WAY, don't try to be the photocopy of someone else, find the challenge premises that YOU like, not the ones that others like and use.

And experiment, find your own tactics, your own style, the one that give YOU fun. I love backstabbing and setting traps and transforming cleric mages in terrific mlee fighters, some other can find it boring and requiring too much micromanaging. Others like to optimize their fighters to the maximum possible damage, comparing weapons, APRs, effectiveness of different HLAs, I find it boring and do it (as I am a PWGamer), but only to a certain extent.

Ask yourself "what I REALLY enjoy to do in this game? What REALLY give me fun?".
    Then do it, the BEST way that you can.......
    @gorgonzola I will admit, I am a bit of a power gamer. I do tend to take overpowered equipment for granted. It's just finding where to draw the line. There are definitely a lot more items late game that are super OP, which I don't mind. But the border between "overpowered" and "cheesy" is debatable. The way I see it, challenging yourself would be not using overpowered equipment. Playing the game "normally" would be not using cheesy equipment. Baldur's Gate has a weird way of making you feel like a cheater sometimes :/
    About the helm and the cheesiness my personal opinion is that all that is implemented in the game (no matter what PnP D&D rules tell about), as long that is used for the purpose that is implemented for, is not cheesy and legit.
    [spoiler=examples] Using the green scroll to make yourself immune to magic is not cheesy, using it on an enemy mage to prevent him from casting is cheesy, using clerical Magic Resistance on yourself is not cheesy, using it on a dragon to lower his MR is cheesy (the spell has no save because is supposed to be used on the party and not on enemies, is also a blue spell, color that is associated with beneficial spells, not to attack ones) [/spoiler]

For me cheese is exploiting the game, as scrolls from clones are normally castable imo there is no exploit. And as the Mislead clone can not do it there is no technical reason, is a developers choice. So for me also using the Mislead clone of a bard to sing is not cheesy, that and moving are the only things the developers left to him.

But the infinite use of consumable items using clones, if not cheesy, is OP.
    And imho there is nothing wrong in both cheesy and OP, but nerfing them is a good way to rise the callenge.

there is another really OP use of the helm
    [spoiler=please don't reat it...] 2 wish scrolls in WK, 1 in Saradush, potion to rise WIS, a high level thief with UAI or every class with a little of mage can wish for rest (and another use of the helm) spending only 3 rounds of the clone life and a potion. THAT is nasty stinkin' gorgonzola cheese..... [/spoiler]
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    I would like to voice my view on using the Vhailor's Helm for a solo run:

To me, if you go on a no-reload run, you should do every trick you can do. I think it's absolutely fine to use a Simulacrum from the helmet, even combined with the Protection from Magic scroll, - if there're no other alternatives.

If you're on a no-reload run, you should think foremost about making it to the end. This is when using this item is not cheesy at all.

This is my opinion from a discussion with @Blackraven some time back.

But if you play with reloads, I would use this helmet only in ToB, not in SoA.

It's just finding where to draw the line.

Draw it in the exact point where the game is very challenging but not frustrating challenging.
    Choose how owerpower the enemies or underpower yourself according to the way that give you more fun.
    You are the king of your game, you make the laws, be a good ruler.

• I do agree with people here saying it's okay to play however you want. And a couple of my greatest game experiences comes from playing characters that are neutered beyond belief, for instance in Morrowind, playing a pure mage that is not allowed to use a single spell, that was immensely fun. :)

But since I'm the logical type of guy, I mostly see logic as more important than cheese or no cheese and I want to put that in here.
    What is it that fuels the spell when you use a scroll? It's the scroll itself (in combination with the one reading it). Is the scroll really there? Not really.. So what is fueling the spell? With items you can imagine the original item lending his power to the simulacrum, but if a one time item lends it power, it should burn out.
    So I would say that logic says that one time items shouldn't be possible to use for a simulacrum, or perhaps better to say that if they are used, the original item should really disappear.

[spoiler=please don't reat it...] 2 wish scrolls in WK, 1 in Saradush, potion to rise WIS, a high level thief with UAI or every class with a little of mage can wish for rest (and another use of the helm) spending only 3 rounds of the clone life and a potion. THAT is nasty stinkin' gorgonzola cheese..... [/spoiler]

Wow, that's like gorgonzola that's been left by the window for two months. Lol You may as well just Keeper in unlimited Wish scrolls if you're going to do that!

I do agree with people here saying it's okay to play however you want. And a couple of my greatest game experiences comes from playing characters that are neutered beyond belief, for instance in Morrowind, playing a pure mage that is not allowed to use a single spell, that was immensely fun. :)

But since I'm the logical type of guy, I mostly see logic as more important than cheese or no cheese and I want to put that in here.
    What is it that fuels the spell when you use a scroll? It's the scroll itself (in combination with the one reading it). Is the scroll really there? Not really.. So what is fueling the spell? With items you can imagine the original item lending his power to the simulacrum, but if a one time item lends it power, it should burn out.
    So I would say that logic says that one time items shouldn't be possible to use for a simulacrum, or perhaps better to say that if they are used, the original item should really disappear.

A mage that can't cast spells? So basically just a guy in a robe with a stick, then? :smile:

• A mage that can't cast spells? So basically just a guy in a robe with a stick, then? :smile:

Quite OT but I guess it's ok since it's you. :)
    Nope, pure mage as in a guy without a robe and without a stick. :smiley:

But since that description only is half true I can say that I allowed him to use only magical gear and never any weapons. So translated to BG, he basically ran around the whole game using only wands and other charged/one time/daily use items. You can say I had to be creative. :)

A mage that can't cast spells? So basically just a guy in a robe with a stick, then? :smile:

Quite OT but I guess it's ok since it's you. :)
    Nope, pure mage as in a guy without a robe and without a stick. :smiley:

But since that description only is half true I can say that I allowed him to use only magical gear and never any weapons. So translated to BG, he basically ran around the whole game using only wands and other charged/one time/daily use items. You can say I had to be creative. :)
    Lol Yeah, I can imagine. It would certainly take tactical prowess and prior knowledge of the game to make that viable.

I saw a guy on YouTube who completed BG1 as a Mage without pressing the "Level Up" button once. Very impressive, I have to say!
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I need to get more samples but from my own experimentation, with 18 Wis you need on average 4-5 Wishes to get the rest option.

And even if your simulacrum can cast from scrolls in its quickslot, it is still limited to only three different spells with probably 1 to 3 cast each depending on your amount of scrolls and with a caster level of 10 only, nothing too powerful in my opinion.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Using Project Image or Simulacrum to use scarce scrolls over and over again is ridiculously overpowered and hence very cheesy. Yes, the vanilla game lets you do it but that's hardly the acid test: the vanilla game lets you fake-talk too (no doubt we'll soon have people saying that's not cheating too).

Best thing is to install the SCS component that prevents clones using quick slot items and then there's no issue, you can Vhailor's all day long without being accused of cheese.

Wow, that's like gorgonzola that's been left by the window for two months. Lol You may as well just Keeper in unlimited Wish scrolls if you're going to do that!

I never did it outside testing purposes, and usually my games are 10% real game, where I use fair tactics, and 90% reloads for testing purposes, where I test different tactics but also the nastiest exploits I can find or invent myself. I wisely assign the 90% of my playing time to the funny part :smile:

But as we were talking of use and abuse....
    I really like to abuse the abuse, to bring things to the next level, so I posted it.
    And as we are here let me serve you also some tasty camambert

With a party with some mages, maybe dual F/Mages, a little before you can cast lev 7 spells go to WK, get the 2 wish scrolls and don't memorize them. Doing WK had leveled up, now your F/Mages can cast lev 7 spells. Every one can memorize only PI, every PI with the 2 scrolls in a quick slot and a potion in an other can wish for 2 rests. so almost 100% chance of success in chapter 2 and a lot of added benefits (if you are in an area with only hostile characters before always make each member of the party immune to magical energy, I hope you understand why :wink: ).
    Who need a sorc to cast the wishes?
    Here is an abusing an abuse and enjoying a collateral other one.

@Nothing_to_see_here,
    According to PnP (of which I personally don't care when we are talking of CRPG) The Simulacrum is made of snow. How can the snow hit like steel? Or in other words having 2 FoA or other unique and powerful weapons in the game at the same time is itself an abuse (or can be considered so by some people), if the sim can temporarily duplicate the unique effects of FoA no reason why it can temporarily duplicate the effects of a scroll, it don't duplicate the item itself. With logic we can not go far in this kind of things, it can be used to demonstrate each thing and it's opposite. Our taste, and balance and difficulty issues matter, maybe also a little RP matter, but I am not so sure.

edited February 2016
    @gorgonzola If Demogorgon saw you summon a snowman, he wouldn't take you seriously and go back to sleep.

On the bright side, at least you would be the star of Christmas parties!
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Made out of snow?!

As far as I can make out, Simulacrum in BG2 is actually the 2nd edition PnP level 8 Clone spell. I don't recall that being made of snow (though significant differences e.g. Clone is a Necromancy spell rather than the opposite school of Illusion. In fact Project Image and Simulacrum are both odd as illusions, since illusions should not have true spellcasting or fighting abilities. Anyway we digress).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's the unfortunate thing about simulacrum. It's either terribly weak or terribly strong. Anything in between would require the player to specifically hold back.

Having an additional character at 50% (single-class) or 60% (multi- and dual-class) of your level is just not that impactful under normal circumstances. A level 16 mage gets a level 8 mage buddy. That simulacrum is going to be pretty easy to kill and have very, very little offensive power. It amounts to a few extra low-level spells over the next few rounds. A level 17/16 fighter/mage gets a level 10/9 simulacrum. Again, very little attack power and very little spell power.

But a simulacrum can also use limited-charge items without restraint. Extra uses of Potions of Magic Shielding. The Rod of Resurrection. Scrolls of Protection from Magic.

And if you install SCS and don't allow your clones to use quick slot items, they can still use the Necklace of Missiles. They can still use HLAs. Suddenly your level 10/9 clone can cast Hardiness and Greater Whirlwind Attack. And they still have your best equipment, from the Robe to Vecna to Carsomyr.

No items forbidden? Simulacrum is extremely powerful.

SCS rules on items? Simulacrum is very powerful.

All items forbidden? Simulacrum is kind of weak for a level 8 spell or a pricy item like Vhailor's Helm.
    I did read the snow thing here on the boards, but my DnD lore is not the best one, I have more lore in sanskrit language, even if I am not indian and I never studied sanskrit :smile:
    @semiticgod When you're soloing, you're usually a very high level by the middle of the game. I'm a level 34 Thief in the Underdark. That means my Simulacrum is level 17. A level 17 sim that can cast Tenser's Transformation, Imp Haste, and Assassination effectively becomes a Fighter with low THAC0 that can backstab 5-6 times before the ability runs out, and you can guarantee 99% of the time all of those hits will connect. Then, if you're not quite done backstabbing, gulp an invisibility potion and finish the job. Who needs 16 rounds? You've now cleared most - if not all - of an entire room in less than 10 seconds, because not only do you have your buddy kicking butt alongside you, but you're also adding to the mayhem by doing the same.

If scrolls weren't allowed to be used in the quick slots, I think it would be just right. It's the scrolls that make the sim cheesy. I don't think unlimited use of potions on the sim is cheesy.

• @Nothing_to_see_here,
    According to PnP (of which I personally don't care when we are talking of CRPG) The Simulacrum is made of snow. How can the snow hit like steel? Or in other words having 2 FoA or other unique and powerful weapons in the game at the same time is itself an abuse (or can be considered so by some people), if the sim can temporarily duplicate the unique effects of FoA no reason why it can temporarily duplicate the effects of a scroll, it don't duplicate the item itself. With logic we can not go far in this kind of things, it can be used to demonstrate each thing and it's opposite. Our taste, and balance and difficulty issues matter, maybe also a little RP matter, but I am not so sure.

Unfortunately DnD isn't the best system to apply logic to, there are way too much stuff that makes no sense at all. :) But as I said, since I'm the logical kind of guy, I try to apply it anyway.

In this case, as I said it, you could see it like the original item lending it's power to the simulacrum, that would make normal magical items work, but one time items destroying the original and charge items lose a charge for every use.
    And if it can duplicate the effect, why not duplicate it several times? Or why not have a level 2 spell that only duplicates effects?

About the snow, I will just pretend I didn't see that. :)
    edited February 2016
    I see your point, and AFAIK (so really very little) in PnP also the spells casted trough PI, and I suppose also Simulacrum, are drained from the caster's spellbook, are not casted "for free", at the only cost of a single lev 7 or 8 spell. But this is not as is implemented in the CRPG. I would say that unleash all a spellbook, from a clone with robe and amulet that cast IA, at the cost of a single lev 7 spell is not really different, in that case many memorizations are not destroyed. There are players who refuse to use PI for that reason. And there is a logic also in doing so. Because is not a piece of paper that have the power, is the mana embedded in it that has the power, like is the mana embedded in the memorization, the caster don't forget the formula of the spell, loose some mana accumulated in the concentration and following rest. In both cases there is a mana duplication, mana that comes from nowhere. A logic, not the only possible logic, my point is just that. This game is full of things that don't have logic, we can try to find our logic, but imho is more a justification than a real logic, that if so should give a single result, we can use different logical paths but the result is unique. As when we give demonstration of the theorem of Pitagora.
    So I think that who don't use PI and Sim at all use his quasi logic, you don't use consumable scrolls use your, and I allowing everything that is implemented in the game use my. But no one of them is a real logic, in the end them are only justifications of something that don't have a inherent logic.
    And for me each way is ok, as long as it keep the game challenging and funny. My quasi logic is the one that open to the largest number of possible abuses, and I try to not abuse of the freedom I give myself, actually is ages that I don't even uses the 2 legal green scrolls outside testing purpose. Even if for testing I had all the party protected with them and some more, trough PI, to protect enemy mages, preventing them from casting. Tests, and every time I reloaded and repeated with no scroll at all. But my reasons are not related to logic, are related to challenge.