Skip to content

Are you the type of gamer that looks up content guides while playing?

2»

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    @Lekian

I remember Police Quest. I found it hilarious that in one of the sequels Sonny Bonds married that hooker.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I usually look up mechanics, or items, unless something is really frustrating me about the content. Last I played Tutu, my greatsword broke every other battle, so I broke down and found a guide to tell me where the +1 variant was.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    I've grown out of using them. The last time I used one was on The Longest Journey because I was not going anywhere and got tired of bouncing between screens.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Shandyr said:

I dont look up anything when the game is new because I want to see how much I can find by myself.
    After several playthroughs I finally will look up quests and stuff to have the "perfect" playthrough for me.

Same here. Think I had around 20 playthroughs before I started using walkthroughs
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited September 2012
    Quartz said:

Yeah, with BG:EE first playthrough or two I will refrain just as you are.

After that it's fair game. I like to play through the games first without any guides, and then I can do a more thorough job of things and all that business.

Although I think I will likely look up Dorn, Neera, and Rasaad's locations but that's it. That's it, I SWEAR.

This is my view, too. I play through once or twice without anything (unless I hit bugs, etc.) then go through with a resource to hit all the content that I missed before.

I grew up without the guides but now enjoy the fact that I can find out some easter egg or quest that I haven't done in the past and I plan my game to make sure I can hit it.

I won't use anything for BG:EE, though. I know the original content and will just take the new stuff on its own for quite a while before looking to any resource.
  • HertzHertz Member Posts: 109
    It depends on the game.

If the dialogue options are written to provide reasonably foreseeable outcomes, no guide is needed. That is:

1. Polite/peaceful option.
    2. Hostile/uncaring option.
    3. Surrender.
    4. Sorry, never mind.
    5. Go away, fool.

If options 1 and 3 always lead to a fight, and 3 usually does too, how can I role-play a good choice? If the only way to get the quest is to save before every dialogue, and replay every conversation 3-4 times, I would say it is not very good writing.

Mellicamp was perfect dialogue; it's obvious he wasn't being honest. Marl in Beregost wasn't so obvious because if you don't want to kill him, you alternate between polite and confrontational and polite again.
    Hertz said:

Marl in Beregost wasn't so obvious because if you don't want to kill him, you alternate between polite and confrontational and polite again.

I actually didn't know there was even a non-violent solution to Marl the first few times I played the game without a guide. I thought you had to kill him.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Hertz said:

Mellicamp was perfect dialogue; it's obvious he wasn't being honest. Marl in Beregost wasn't so obvious because if you don't want to kill him, you alternate between polite and confrontational and polite again.

Agreed, I always hated that. At certain points if you said something polite when you were supposed to be confrontational, you once again had to kill him. Ridiculous.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I always solved the Marl thing the polite way then killed him afterwards. Double the XP! No one goes hostile!

Yes I am a munchkin gamer. Whatever gave you that idea?

I always solved the Marl thing the polite way then killed him afterwards. Double the XP! No one goes hostile!

Yes I am a munchkin gamer. Whatever gave you that idea?

I do that as well (the guide suggests it actually).
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2012
    I always try to give RPGs a go the first time around without anything, but after that first round Im religiously looking up stuff in Strategy guides or these days with the strategy apps on Ipad.

I dont care about being challenged at all, I think its the nerd version of "macho crap" and like to focus on the fun of a game. The most important thing to me with a RPG is Storyline and Character Progression. I love seeing my hero rise from a peasant to Supergirl.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2012
    It really depends. If i'm really stuck I'll look for a guide.

I usually run through an RPG one or two times on my own. I don't really care if my choices didn't allow me to do quest x to get item y that makes the fight agains boss z easier or that woud give me a bazillion easy xp

For instance after reading for years about the ranger/cleric half-elf multiclass, I'm finally running a game with one out of curiosity. Everything i'd read made think they were too overpower.

Untill now I think he's fun and that's my main reason to play a game, to have fun. Too many problems in real life demand my attention for me to lose sleep over whether I am using the absolutely best solution to an in game problem or if the class/race combination is cheesy or not :)

But that's the way *I* play my games, it's not right or wrong. I don't really believe that there are right or wrong ways to play. There are ways you find are fun for you and others you find boring and that's it.