Skip to content

Carsomyr has been included into the "60 Iconic Weapons from fiction" list

Comments

• wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    From a fan's point of view, my choice would've been Crom Faeyr. Glad BG gets a shoutout, though! :)
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Twinkle and Icingdeath are there too!
    Ebony and Ivory from DMC are also missing. There are so many great weapons that they were bound to miss out a few.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    The absence of Frostmourne disturbs me greatly...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Master Sword? Damn straight.
    edited February 2016
    Gotural said:

And Drizzt's Frostbrand!

Edit: Just found out that it was also called "Icingdeath"....doh!
  • Any list like this that includes something from "The phantom menace" can not be taken seriously.

On that note.. What is "Journey into mystery"? And why is our ancient gods hammer said to come from that?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Gotural said:

No Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker either.

A bit weird in some choices.
    edited February 2016
    No Auto 9 from Robocop.....
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    60 weapon slots and only a single club... :confounded:

60 weapon slots and only a single club... :confounded:

Lol Well I can't even think of that many clubs, tbh.
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    Not that I want to be picky. But Anduril (Flame of the west, sword of Aragorn) and Glamdring (sword of Gandalf) could maybe be nice items on a list of legendary made up weapons?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    It just shows that any rating is subjective, and there will be always options that weren't included into it.

But still, it's somewhat sweet that a weapon from BG series made it into the list of fiction weapons.
    @Otherguy They are a little bit biased towards Star Wars. Three Star Wars weapons made it on the list. I would probably say the same had they done the same with LotR. It should be one weapon per franchise.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    No fork of Balduran?!!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Grum said:

No fork of Balduran?!!

Neither is there the Fork of Horripilation. :cry:
    I love Carsomyr as much as the next guy, imho the only truly OP weapon in the series due to how early you can get it, FoA, Celestial Fury and good old Crom Faeyr might be contenders to the represent the BG series if you only get to pick one.

If you get to pick only one weapon from LotR and you choose Sting the shortsword.. Then I really don't know what to say. Seek help maybe..

Special shoutout to the pick from DAO considering it's not in the original game but an OP item from a "pay to win" patch. Kind of sad since mauls are sorely missing on the list and Chasind Great Maul was the most satisfying weapon ever wielded in a fantasy game.

This list was very fun to read and I'm guessing it was just as fun to make it. But I think it lacks some of the most iconic fantasy weapons.
    @Otherguy I would've gone with Gandalf's wizard staff for LoTR.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    No half life crowbar :(
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Any list like this that includes something from "The phantom menace" can not be taken seriously.

On that note.. What is "Journey into mystery"? And why is our ancient gods hammer said to come from that?

Journey Into Mystery is the comic book where the Marvel version of Thor first appeared in 1962.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_into_Mystery
    I hate myself for typing this but I don't think that Gandalf's staff goes by any other name than Gandalf's staff (of power) and he actually loses his first one in the fight with the balrog (I love how bg2 copied that fight in the underdark btw!). I wouldn't pick one of Gandalf's staves of power over Anduril or Glamdring although they are still two of the most iconic fantasy weapons. They picked Sting. How? It just makes me sad.
    @Otherguy Probably because of the recent Hobbit movies :/
  • BillyYank said:

Any list like this that includes something from "The phantom menace" can not be taken seriously.

Journey Into Mystery is the comic book where the Marvel version of Thor first appeared in 1962.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_into_Mystery
    I actually googled that so I knew it. The point was rather to point out the stupidity to credit Marvel when Mjölner comes from stories some thousand years old.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I would assume that this is about modern fiction mainly, otherwise there's a whole bunch of other things missing like Excalibur, the Lance of Longinus, etc.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

I'm actually offended that Dawnbreaker made it in but Wabbajack didn't.

I'm more partial to the ebony blade. A weapon which corrupts its owner and which grows stronger by killing those who trust you. Messages from the daedric prince along the lines of "their tears sharpens the blade" is just so evil.

It is the most evil weapon you can ever find. Sure; Dorn will kill you, but we all saw that coming. This blade is only strengthened when you first earn their trust and then betray them.

The only weapon that comes close to being as evil is the mace of Moalg Bal, as it traps the souls of its victims. Add in the corrupted black star of Azura and you can consume the souls of everyone you kill to fuel your magical weapons.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I'd have thought the M-3 Predator would be a better fit for Mass Effect rather than the M-8 Avenger... being as it's one of the few weapons that can be wielded by all characters and appears in most cut scenes.

Either that or one of the heavy weapons like the M-920 Cain.

Anduril/Narsil should definitely be included... the only reason I can see for preferring Sting is that it appears in both stories.

I'd have liked to have seen:

Blade's katana.

Either the Highlander's katana or the Kurgan's broadsword.

Basically any item of the Predator's arsenal (shoulder cannon/ wrist blades/ spear/ throwing discs).

Ripley's Pulse Rifle/Flamethrower/Duct-Tape hybrid from Aliens.

Good to see the Bolter getting a shout-out! :smile:
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Is the Portal Device a weapon?