Skip to content

Favorite Charname EEKeeper Shenanigans That You Passionately Try To Justify

Curious as to what other illegal combinations people create with EEKeeper.

I basically try to model CHARNAME after my 5e PnP char, an eladrin abjurer who specializes in protection and time-based magics, helping the front liners hog the glory. That is, unless it's time for a wizard duel, in which case they are counter-spelled into the next edition.

I make a gnome illusionist, then switch it to an elf abjurer (love those gnome racials, don't want to be a gnome). I'll then add the wild mage specific spells (only for ToB silliness when I get bored), and the banned alteration spells (with the caveat that they'll be used ONLY after I've actually found/purchased the scrolls).

I mainly do it for the flavor as I want all those signature arcane spells, and I don't want to be a wild mage or conjurer - I want to be an abjurer. Heck, I'd say it's still less powerful than Edwin.

While I'm sure some will cry OP, it's not like I'm making a drow monk/sorcerer with UAI... although now I think I might have to. I'll call him Trizz'kit, obviously after the snack cracker. FEAR THE MIGHT OF TRIZZ'KIT THE CRUNCHY.
GoturalJuliusBorisov

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You can turn a gnome illusionist into an elf abjurer, but the save bonuses will go away as soon as you level up. You can add in permanent save bonuses via the "Effects" tab, though.
    lunarJuliusBorisovVirelai
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    lunarsemiticgoddessVirelaiBeetle
  • demon9675demon9675 Member Posts: 30
    Half-elf dual class Berserker->Druid. Not that interesting, I suppose, but I like being able to do dual or multiclass regardless of race (his portrait clearly shows pointy ears, so he HAS to be at least half elven!)
    Virelai
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    edited February 2016
    IMHO, the most justifiable thing to do with EEKeeper is to do multiclassing with classes who were imported from D&D3.
    In D&D3, you -can- multiclass monks, sorcerers, bards and so on. That's not something limitated to thief, mage, fighter and mage.

So, it makes legitimate for me to play something like... let's say fighter/dragon disciple, for exemple.
    That's what I played in D&D3.5
    Virelai
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Kitting multiclasses, of course, which I passionately justify by the fact that kitting multiclasses is how it rolls in PnP.

And if my Swashbuckler/Mage just happens to get an extra spell of each level, an x5 backstab and outdamages most fighters... Well he's just that awesome.

And... and so what if my Cleric/Mage is a Paladin only Undead Hunter! Clerics can hunt undead...

And why shouldn't my Gnome have the appearance of an elf rogue! They were adopted, it's canon. *Cough.*
    SkatanVirelai
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    ^- This. I justify kits to MC's all the time and have no problem coming up with a plausible background story to support it.

Also, I recently started to tweak XP gains for some MC's so that my ie dwarf cleric of lath/fighter gets 75% exp in his cleric class adn 25% in his fighter class, for RP reasons. He just pour hours into his clerical studies but still train his fighting skills every now and then. It's manual though, I don't have any mods for this.
    VirelaiPantalion
  • IsabellaGrangerIsabellaGranger Member Posts: 52
    Lol, wow... And all the while I was here, feeling guilty for adding up to 7th level priest spells to my Stalker because for some rp reason I gave her some canon useless 18 wisdom... I didn't want those beautiful points to go to waste so... Let's just say she wanted to dual (or multiclass at any case) as a ranger/cleric, but she likes pointy weapons way too much :D (that part at least is true, katanas and axes all the way :D) so she only gets a few nature related spells (mostly druid spells, actually) because... She's a ranger. But with very few slots because it'd be cheap cheating at that point would I add the quantity a normal cleric would have :-|
    Virelai
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    playing a solo thief/wild mage (with poison weapon... what? anyone can learn how to make poison) was the most fun i've ever had tbh
    VirelaiAerakar
  • VirelaiVirelai Member Posts: 19

You can turn a gnome illusionist into an elf abjurer, but the save bonuses will go away as soon as you level up. You can add in permanent save bonuses via the "Effects" tab, though.

Ahhh I was afraid something like that was happening. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited February 2016
    Virelai said:

...an eladrin abjurer who specializes in protection and time-based magics, helping the front liners hog the glory. That is, unless it's time for a wizard duel, in which case they are counter-spelled into the next edition.

Gotta say, while I'm not a fan of EEing up lots of rulebreaking changes, this bit... I like your style sir.

I have to admit I've once or twice added minor bonuses to a Ftr/Mage to try and emulate a 2e Bladesinger... but honestly BG Ftr/Mages don't really need any help.
    Virelai
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    I add kits to my multi/dual classes all the time. Sometimes for RP reasons I add other bonuses, like maybe a spell/ability they wouldn't normally have.

Also I sometimes add in the bonus points from the tomes, even if I didn't finish BG1 with that character. I just like BG2 more, and can't be bothered to legitimately get the points EVERY time...

Now this last one isn't cheating at all. I love tweaking the color scheme for each character, giving them brighter, more vibrant base clothing. There are so many option available through EEKeeper, and the in-game colors are typically pretty bland.
    semiticgoddessSkatanJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
    Pteran said:

Now this last one isn't cheating at all. I love tweaking the color scheme for each character, giving them brighter, more vibrant base clothing. There are so many option available through EEKeeper, and the in-game colors are typically pretty bland.

Haha I spend HOURS trying to come up with new color schemes for characters in EEKeeper. You can actually get some really funky palettes with a little patience. I like to then permanently change NPC colors by altering the color values in NearInfinity. CHARNAME likes to run with a stylish crowd:

Ummm Korgain, we need to talk... No, no you're doing a great job being bloodthirsty, and I love how you talk about how your axe is "ready," just, ALL the time. I really don't mind that you made Aerie cry like four times yesterday either... It's just, you're a terrible dresser and I hate it.

Additionally, I highly recommend @Dee 's mod that you just drop straight into your override folder:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/14965/mr-pennyways-cosmetic-changes

It removes the color override on the non-unique armors and robes, allowing for even more color freedom. It's also a great jumping point to start figuring out how to make some minor gear alterations on your own (I'm looking at you Robe of Vecna).
    PteranJuliusBorisov
  • KykuyKykuy Member Posts: 30
    edited February 2016
    Made my Wizard Slayer cast Dispel Magic and Truesight as manual spells once per day at levels 10, 20, 30, 40(default cast-time, charlevel x1). Also made it possible for him to wear absolutely any magical item(except Class Restricted) with "Magic Resistance" in properties, or "Save vs. Spell" bonus or "Magical Damage Resistance". So hello Ring of Gaxx and Cloak of Balduran(from Tactics mod).

Also made MR bonus 10 + 2% per level until lvl 30 for maximum of 90 innate MR and smoother curve.

Penalized all this with only 3 pips instead of 5 able to invest in Weapon Proficiencies.
    semiticgoddessArdul
    I start to dream more and more of a Berzerker/Dragon Disciple... should I see a psychiatrist?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Moonheart said:

I start to dream more and more of a Berzerker/Dragon Disciple... should I see a psychiatrist?

You should just play NWN2 then. There are quite a few good berserker/DD build in this game.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2016
    @Virelai Rupert the Dye Merchant is your kind of mod, then. It is amazing.
    Virelai
    Arunsun said:

You should just play NWN2 then. There are quite a few good berserker/DD build in this game.

Nah... NwN2 offers much more fun opportunities: http://nwn2db.com/build/?121609
    Pantalion
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Kit + Multiclass. But I use EEK to give the penalties too.

And give my char one special abilitie. Nothing that would be a big deal.

Eldoth can poison arrows. Quayle can selfcast Invisibility. Tiax can summon Ghast. Dynaheir can Slow Poison. So it goes.

The abilitie is somehow connected to CHARNAME's class and/or race.
    Virelai
    lunar said:

@Virelai Rupert the Dye Merchant is your kind of mod, then. It is amazing.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out tonight.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Moonheart said:

Arunsun said:

Keldrin's Class Pack more than most: http://nwn2db.com/build/?28900
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Virelai said:

Additionally, I highly recommend @Dee 's mod that you just drop straight into your override folder:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/14965/mr-pennyways-cosmetic-changes

It removes the color override on the non-unique armors and robes, allowing for even more color freedom. It's also a great jumping point to start figuring out how to make some minor gear alterations on your own (I'm looking at you Robe of Vecna).

Thank you @Virelai I am definitely installing that later today. I always hated that my color changes made little to no difference once I donned armor/robes....
    JuliusBorisovGozeta
    Pantalion said:

Moonheart said:

Arunsun said:

Keldrin's Class Pack more than most: http://nwn2db.com/build/?28900
    Mmm cleric-bard goody. Should be an amazing support char!
    But I have a true hate from spellbook preparations, so when I decided to do something like that, I did a Favored Soul/Bard mix instead.

Anyway, we're starting to get slightly out of topic.

But I miss a new D&D RPG a lot..
    Pteran said:

Thank you @Virelai I am definitely installing that later today. I always hated that my color changes made little to no difference once I donned armor/robes....

It's the non pricey robes and plain plate where you can really see it... but!

For any other item, the way to do it is to open the applicable .ITM file in near infinity, then just delete any color effects. It will default to the colors of the character wearing it (which will be whatever you EEKeepered in). OR you can switch it up and make new colors for items and more (glow effects for the win). If you play on a phone/tablet and can't use near infinity, I'd be happy to remove the color effects from an item for you no prob.
    JuliusBorisov