Skip to content

How can Drizzt see my hiding theif?

Is this a bug, the devs Drizzt fanboyism, or is he really just that awesome?

"Hey, I see you over there. You know what, these Gnolls can wait, I'm coming to get you instead."

Comments

• Watsonian answer: He's really that awesome; his keen elven eyes find you.

Doylist answer: The devs didn't like an exploit where Drizzt could be trivially defeated by body-blocking him with invisible party members, so they gave him the ability to see through invisibility.
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    @Kaigen. Interesting doylist answer. Also makes sense out of why he can't see hidden during the encounter in BGII, iirc.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    The spell invisibility doesn't hide your body heat. So with Drizzt warrior instinct kicking in he notices someone or something is around him and switches to infra vision and spots you that way.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Pantalion said:

The spell invisibility doesn't hide your body heat. So with Drizzt warrior instinct kicking in he notices someone or something is around him and switches to infra vision and spots you that way.

Don't be ridiculous, of course invisibility blocks infrared. The real answer is that Drow are part bat, hence the dark skin, living in caves, and echolocation.
    Don't be so absurd!

Drizzt is telepathic and can read your thoughts.

As thoughts are invisible anyway, you can be invisible or not, he will still be able to read your mind and that big nasty thought of "WOW! Big shiny swords! I must have THEM!" Kill the Drow!"
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Pantalion said:

Don't be ridiculous, of course invisibility blocks infrared. The real answer is that Drow are part bat, hence the dark skin, living in caves, and echolocation.
    The spell description doesn't say that. It's the most logical answer.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    If that's the "logical answer" how does anyone but humans and Halfings ever get surprised? Everyone has infra vision and only one ridiculous and contrived Drow apparently thinks to look around using it?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    PK2748 said:

If that's the "logical answer" how does anyone but humans and Halfings ever get surprised? Everyone has infra vision and only one ridiculous and contrived Drow apparently thinks to look around using it?

Everyone else jumped on the 3e bandwagon and got their amazing infra vision replaced by terrible dark vision.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    Kaigen said:

Watsonian answer: He's really that awesome; his keen elven eyes find you.

Doylist answer: The devs didn't like an exploit where Drizzt could be trivially defeated by body-blocking him with invisible party members, so they gave him the ability to see through invisibility.

like you need any "Fancy" exploits to kill him , just walk slowly up from the south , once you see him chose the "Ohh ofc i help ya buddy!" option , stay perfectly still to not reveal the gnolls north of him and then start chugging ranged attacks at him. he will not move but wait to fight the gnolls ....who in their turn wait for you to come closer to see them so they can attack drizzt, the only harmful he has thrown my way was a magic dispel , and a heal on himself. even a lvl 1 can do it with a cup of tea in your hand and those sweet 20rolls.

didn't even plan to really "exploit" him , helped him to range kill off the gnolls , quicksaved and thought maybe i can kill him ...the fact he didn't fight back amused me greatly 12000 xp for free and the hit to rep was just -6 ...so 600-1000gold ,
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    They should have made him immune to traps while they're at it. A few nights of camping out and then go check on Drizzt. "Still angry? Look I'm sorry I didn't risk my life for a complete stranger. Fine, be that way, but you'll have to catch me first."
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    I have really been having trouble recently getting the Drizzt dialogue after "offing" the Gnolls besetting him.
    I know that Charname's party has to tally a certain body count in order to get his respect.

Do Gnolls my party kills before the first Drizzt dialogue asking for help count towards that tally???
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Tresset said:

Yeah... Drizzt having invisibility detection script was mostly my fault... Sorry guys.

worse case scenario we can always delete it with EE keeper, so its all good :)

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2016
    Drizzt worth 12k xp?

Need to start killing him.

Is he immune to Hold / Charm / Confusion ?
    Raduziel said:

Drizzt worth 12k xp?

Need to start killing him.

Is he immune to Hold / Charm / Confusion ?

he is not immune to hold as far as I know, but you are going to have a hell of a time having those spells work on him

he has a whooping 98% magic resistance, I have probably fought this guy at least 2000 times ( no exaggeration) and I have only once seen hold person hold him, and maybe twice have I seen a web spell hold him for one round, so basically magic is a no-no on this guy, you would be more opt to give your characters better AC than trying to hit through that huge MR

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited February 2016
    Wowo said:

PK2748 said:

Everyone else jumped on the 3e bandwagon and got their amazing infra vision replaced by terrible dark vision.
    Infravision would be cool, but not all it's cracked up to be. Angular resolution gets worse with increasing wavelength. The peak wavelength of the infrared light emitted by a humanoid (assuming human average body temperature) would be ~20x longer than that of visible light. So, unless elves have eyes 20x bigger than human eyes, the resolution of their infravision should be awful, around 1/2 a degree - i.e., they shouldn't be able to discern details smaller than the size of the full moon. :sunglasses:
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    All in all, isn't it logical for anyone who knows something is blocking him and he can't see it, attempts to move around the invisible barrier? Who needs detect invisibility to even arrive at such conclusions?

Wowo said:

PK2748 said:

Infravision would be cool, but not all it's cracked up to be. Angular resolution gets worse with increasing wavelength. The peak wavelength of the infrared light emitted by a humanoid (assuming human average body temperature) would be ~20x longer than that of visible light. So, unless elves have eyes 20x bigger than human eyes, the resolution of their infravision should be awful, around 1/2 a degree - i.e., they shouldn't be able to discern details smaller than the size of the full moon. :sunglasses:
    and that is why Baldur's gate is in a realm of fantasy, and doesn't need physics when you have magic :)

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited February 2016
    sarevok57 said:

Wowo said:

PK2748 said:

and that is why Baldur's gate is in a realm of fantasy, and doesn't need physics when you have magic :)

And that's why "dark vision" is a better name, since there's nothing "infra" about how "infravision" is handled. It's just, "you can see in the dark".

http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/rants/infravision.html
  • Bubbles said:

All in all, isn't it logical for anyone who knows something is blocking him and he can't see it, attempts to move around the invisible barrier? Who needs detect invisibility to even arrive at such conclusions?

He does attempt to move around it, the exploit took advantage of the narrow land bridge to the island in the middle of the lake in order to completely block passage. (Really, he should just be able to push through whoever is blocking him or swing at the air, but such are the limitations of the engine.)