Skip to content

Ship Date Delay

Comments

• styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Fudge. I just bought it two hours ago thinking I'd be able to play it on tuesday. Now I'm going to be borrrreeeeddd. If I had known I would have waited until my next pay check at least.
  • veevitoveevito Member Posts: 35
    Or maybe the art assets turned up under a rock and now we'll get it as originally intended. Glass half full and all that.
    that70sgirl7887neokarnyDragonspearFlameguard27
  • FrekFrek Member Posts: 15
    Yes I'm disappointed BUT it's far better in the long run to make sure the first game you release in this series is really high quality and no game breaking bugs.

I can wait and I hope the community can too. Just imagine what would happen if this first one had major problems.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    I'm angry vary angry that means I'll finally get it then the 6th my baby girl is born and I won't be able to play it cuz she's a new born and they cry/pee/poop need food need attention all that jazz. I was really looking forward to downloading this game going on my ship and playing it wile out to sea when not on watch. I was really looking forward to the 18th but no. Ok now that my angry rant is over thanks for informing us wish it had been sooner but thanks. Now make the game the greatest it can be and I won't be mad.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I can't be the only one who kinda saw that coming.

But anyone whose job regularly involves deadlines will understand that sometimes things just don't go as smoothly as we'd wished or estimated.

It takes guts to do what they're doing. I'm sure that whatever they have right now is playable and may even be good enough for some of us here. They could have just released it and patched the hell out of it later. People would complain, but for some reason I think the cries of "you should have pushed back the release date!" would be less numerous than the ones we're about to read.

I'm not disappointed. Sure it sucks to wait, but think about it: it's already a miracle that this re-release is happening at all. And it's yet another miracle that it's being done by a team who's not only passionate about the game, but also very transparent and accessible when communicating with the fans.

So I say cut them a break. They've earned it.

And hey! Another two and a half months isn't that long of a wait. Hell, I actually wish time would pass slower, now and then. But let's not get philosophical.
    KonabugaGodKaiserHellLock
  • karpaszkarpasz Member Posts: 74
    This is WHY I was skeptical when I saw Atari as publisher. Remember the circus regarding NwN2 and the Adventure Pack Mysteries of Westgate, no?

30th November. I wouldn't count on that. However, a bright side on this, if it was Bioware-/EA, they would just add some additonal coloured endings.
    MedullaOblongata
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Displacer said:

Not an issue. I prepaid too but I'm glad they're waiting until it's the best they can get it. I'm sure it wasn't easy to make the announcement

It really wasn't. Things like this never are, as I'm sure you can imagine.

The biggest consolation is that the fanbase is so supportive. I think we can all agree that it sucks that the announcement had to come so late, but that the delay can only mean good things for the game itself.
    KholdstareDragonspear
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    seems like this is the day of bad news for me, and the day isn't over yet
    that70sgirl7887
  • that70sgirl7887that70sgirl7887 Member Posts: 18
    epic epic sad face
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    Rajick said:

I'm angry vary angry that means I'll finally get it then the 6th my baby girl is born and I won't be able to play it cuz she's a new born and they cry/pee/poop need food need attention all that jazz.

@Rajick When she's that small you will get free time, you will just be tired as hell if you have to conform to the little one's sleep patterns. :)
    She will sleep a looooot. Some newborns sleep for 18-20 hours a day. It's just that she will wake up every 2-3 hours for food - every 1-2 hours if you're unlucky like we've been ^_^ - (and nappy change probably) and then promptly go back so sleep or a little while later. So you can go back to playing after helping mommy (if you're the dad) or well, doing the feeding (if you're the mom) :)

Don't despair, the Sword Coast will actually get more time than baby till she's at least 1-2 months old and stays awake longer. :)
    MoiraDragonspearMedullaOblongata
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    And that's why I don't pre-order. :)

In all seriousness, though: given how much hinges on the success or failure of BG:EE (enhancements of other IE games, a possible BG3, etc.), I'll repeat the sentiment that Beamdog should take all the time it needs to "get it right", as it were.
  • cre100382cre100382 Member Posts: 8
    I understand that you needed extra time, but waiting until the release date is less than a week away to announce the delay does not instill confindence in me as a supporter who preordered.
    Adul
  • j0lssonij0lssoni Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2012
    *An angry rant for which I apologize, keep up the good work!*
    Post edited by j0lssoni on
    Arabus13
  • LolaLola Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2012
    Oh, I bought an android tablet only to play to BG:EE (and pre-ordered too). I don't have another use for it, what should I do now ? ;)
    ... Please, make us a beautiful BG :)
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    I don't think anyone would seriously want them to release the game, when they're not completely happy with it.
  • SensukiSensuki Member Posts: 19
    Good News, that's after my uni exams and not during the middle of the semester :)

And also I'd prefer a much more polished game rather than a 'best we could do before the ship date' release.
  • weaversarmsweaversarms Member Posts: 5
    I wish more companies had the balls to do this. I'm not even bothered. I would rather have a finished, polished product. I have been waiting 15 years, a couple of months is easy. well played guys.
    GodKaiserHellDragonspearLockMedullaOblongata
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I wanted it released when it was originally promised. Patch it after the fact.
    Dragonspearpaulsifer42
  • SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
    I wish Diablo 3 followed the same route, that game is ruined.
    GodKaiserHellkamuizin
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    Solobear said:

I wish Diablo 3 followed the same route, that game is ruined.

Wife and I were playing a few minutes here and there on hardcore. Soon as I found out about BG:EE, haven't played since. Going to load IWD on a couple of machines in the meantime I think, just to bide the little spare time we have. Guess I could watch the NFL, egads what am I saying!

• XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Is two months wait really justified? Why not one month? I thought game is in playable state right now, save for some graphical glitches.

And I just wonder what it is they're doing that takes almost a year of development, if we assume that they started in March. Especially since they dont touch the art assets. Surely UI , a couple of new adventures and graphical filters cant take that long with a team working on it full-time, even such a small team as Overhaul. Its an enhancement of already existing and completed game after all, not a new game. Devs behind Shadowrun Returns currently build everything up from scratch and promise to deliver a new game in less than a year since their kickstarter. Hope Trent will bring some more light on their current work.

Not to mention that early winter is a really bad choice of time for release of such a niche game, since most AAA titles usually pop-up around that time. Like Assassins Creed 3 on 23 of November...
  • veevitoveevito Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2012
    Diablo 3 did. The May date was 5-6 months after the original timeframe. I believe around last Christmas they said they wanted time to make it the best it could be. Delays don't always mean a better product.

Edit: Please don't take this as casting aspersions on the BGEE team. It was just a comment. I cant wait to see the work you've done here.
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    Thanks for the email too guys! Cake dispensing USB peripheral, I like that, better deliver! ;)
    Dragonspear
  • MerengueMerengue Member Posts: 13

@vonbek777 Actually I like the abruptness in which Trent did it. It's like ripping someone's bandaid off before they know whats happening. You would have complained no matter what, so...stop complaining. Style points to @TrentOster for a nice quick rip. I love it.

It's already been commented on, but you're trivializing people's lives and experiences here.

We're not young things anymore. Nobody who started playing Baldur's Gate around its release date is realistically under 18 anymore. Most of us can't just set abruptly set aside our lives anymore to make time for the little things we like. We have kids and/or jobs, college, grad school, etc. Our friends have moved away and are dealing with the same life changes.

Take a good look around the forum and you'll find many people who intended to play with friends and family had to make plans in advance to get their schedules synced up enough to achieve it. That's in the trash now.

Sure, many of us are adaptive enough to make other plans and still have a good time. But, there are only so many opportunities we have to do this kind of thing. Only so many times you can take a couple of days off, call in favors, and whatever else it takes to get the whole thing to work. And even if you yourself can manage it again, for every other person you had involved in your plans, the chances of someone being left out next time increases exponentially.

Last minute changes do not mix well with the main demographic for this game.

That being said, I already had the general impression from combing the forum these past couple weeks that the game was not on track to release with all of the major intended features and bug fixes, and was either going to rely on post-release patching to get them in, or delay the release date. Either way, I didn't make plans to hook up with friends around the release date. Chance are, I'll be lucky to complete a full playthrough with my whole group, and I want it to be about as good as it can get. The pushback doesn't really bother me, but I still appreciate the ire of anyone who made plans around the original release date.
    neleotheszemoody_mageJalilypaulsifer42
  • ego1steego1ste Member Posts: 88
    To be honest it's fine with me with a delay if you want to polish the game, add some new stuff etc. But telling us sooner would be really great not at the last moment. But november 30 is a little more than i anticipated. Gonna play IWD in the meantime.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    @sandmanCCL i just got gw2 a few days ago and thought i`d pass the time with it, but so far i`ve not seen anything in the game that does not suck. granted i haven`t gotten out of the first map with any toons as i get all full of hate after 3-4 minutes, the engineer is the only one i`ve gotten past lv.3. think he`s lv.7 atm. tried mesmer and elementalist too and meh. Any of the other classes playable?
    Downloading IWD atm, might just stay with that instead as it doesn`t make my blood boil :P

Sorry for the off-topic, go make some meme`s to pass the time until launch people.
  • DLiteDLite Member Posts: 53
    Understandable, but my first impression of Overhaul Games is lowered a bit.
    I pre-ordered. Can I pay 2 months later?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Xzar said:

And I just wonder what it is they're doing that takes almost a year of development, if we assume that they started in March. Especially since they dont touch the art assets. Surely UI , a couple of new adventures and graphical filters cant take that long with a team working on it full-time, even such a small team as Overhaul. Its an enhancement of already existing and completed game after all, not a new game. Devs behind Shadowrun Returns currently build everything up from scratch and promise to deliver a new game in less than a year since their kickstarter. Hope Trent will bring some more light on their current work.

A big part of the work has been (essentially) rewriting the code from scratch so that it will "play nicer" with modern operating systems. Setting up a framework that will work well on Windows, Mac, and iOS takes a bit of work, and cleaning up the code takes a bit more.

There was also a LOT of the game's mechanics and functions that were hard-coded, and one of the things that they wanted to do with the game was make it more modder-friendly, which meant taking those things and soft-coding them.

So in other words, it wasn't just the new UI, NPCs, and zoom. That stuff all goes pretty quickly. The real work is in making it all fit together within a 14-year-old engine while simultaneously updating the engine to work better in general.
    MedullaOblongata
This discussion has been closed.