Skip to content

Other than powerful mages, what fighter classes pose the biggest threat to drizzt and artemis?

I guess you could say the finesse fighters of 5th ed are

bards with spells of attacks and healing and fighting prowess
Fighters with high dex and power from feats
Rangers with high dex and animal companions and light stealth
Rogues with sneak attack and stealth
Monks which are obvious

Strength fighters would be

fighters, barbarians, paladins, clerics (with high strength and buffing)

After reading the books mages cause major problems for artemis and drizzt but what about the classes listed based on their stats in dnd?

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    If we're talking about Drizzt in BG, @Gotural would probably speak to the power of the Blackguard to take down the drow ranger.
    GoturalJuliusBorisov
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Probably a Kensai specialized in some blunt weapon is the class which will deal more damage, hit more often and faster.
    Blunt because Drizzt wears a Chain Mail, weak against crushing damage.
    DKnightsemiticgoddess
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    What about class of fighters. Barbarians ? Rangers? Paladins, Monks? Bards? Rogues?
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Definitely the Blackguard!

JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessDKnightFlashburn
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    lol, less than 30 seconds!
    Gotural
    That is very impressive but could you do that in melee ;)

Yeah i dont doubt that some of the ranged attacks are very powerful and with poison overpowering. I was referring to which melee class can tank them not which guy can kite them. Not many people can melee drizzt in bg1 and sneak attack/backstab doesnt count. Im talking a tank that can tank the tank :)
    Gotural said:

Definitely the Blackguard!

Show me a melee class in bg1 that can do that
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Dwarven Defender or Fighter/Illusionist, in that case.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited February 2016
    I don't quite get the subject of this thread, but still, I summon @Grum to once more talk about his dwarven defender demi-god and how he beat lil'ol Dri to a bloody pulp.

Edit: What I mean with that I don't understand the OP, is the referal to 5th edition rules and "finesse fighters", something which doesn't exist until at least 3E and thus is not present in Baldur's Gate. Is this a more general question not related directly to BG?
    JuliusBorisovGrum
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Skatan said:

I don't quite get the subject of this thread, but still, I summon @Grum to once more talk about his dwarven defender demi-god and how he beat lil'ol Dri to a bloody pulp.

Edit: What I mean with that I don't understand the OP, is the referal to 5th edition rules and "finesse fighters", something which doesn't exist until at least 3E and thus is not present in Baldur's Gate. Is this a more general question not related directly to BG?

Skatan: Moradin improves.
    Grum said:

I have to admit, that reply was a bit shorter and less describing of your exploits than I had anticipated. :P
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    The Blackguard can also solo him in melee without any kiting.

I'm uploading a video as I write this.

It takes slightly less than a minute and my character doesn't drop below 50% HP.
    JuliusBorisovGrum
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    edited February 2016
    DKnight said:

Show me a melee class in bg1 that can do that

Well....

Not mine but i feel this belongs here, im sure 3 of them wouldn't be a problem he simply ran out of Drizzts to kill. :smile:
    Gotural
    Skatan said:

Sorry i didnt quite get the point of what i was saying. Im just playing 5th edition now on table top. I know this is 2nd edition but i phrased it wrong.

Dwarven defender and Blackguard i am not surprised. What i am surprised was fighter/illusionist. I got to try that build one time. When you give a fighter magic that can make him hard to hit and able to evade juggernauts and damage dealers then you got a powerful build. The illusionist unfortunately has the best evasive spells. If there were other mage kits that are good for making an evasive/magic fighter that would be cool. Thing is i only used necromancer and that is more of a fight summon attack spell.

I am guessing you would fighter first then dual to mage kit at lvl2-3?
    Skatan
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Skatan said:

Grum said:

I have to admit, that reply was a bit shorter and less describing of your exploits than I had anticipated. :P
    On phone so it makes it harder. Will have to go find the picture proof. But as you invoke the shade of Durak...

Take a dwarven defender. Give him an enchanted hammer and shield. Get him to lvl 8, give him Balduran's helm and cloak. Have him chug several blessed mugs of ale, mead, and beer (i.e.: potions of strength, speed and heroism). Drop defensive stance. Break a kneecap or two. Laugh as the elf writhes on the floor, wondering why his dwarven made chain didn't protect him. Easy! Because while a dwarf can make the best armor in the world, a dwarf can also break it.

Yes, a dwarven defender can solo drizzt. A dwarven defender can solo Sarevok. The only things that a dwarven defender struggles with are cowardly curs who use magic. But then again, when you are a bearded Demi-God, the only way to beat you is to hide behind magic.
    SkatanJuliusBorisov
    edited March 2016
    DKnight said:

I am guessing you would fighter first then dual to mage kit at lvl2-3?

A very common fighter-mage dual in BG1 is 7/8. You don't have to be an illiusonist to be a great F/M, since a generalist mage can cast anything an illuisonist can cast, you just get fewer spell slots.