Skip to content

What is your favourite (not)Eurovision song? (Now with Hockey. Don't ask, just discuss!)

lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
edited May 2016 in Off-Topic
@Kamigoroshi posted some of his favourite songs from the German contest, what were not selected to go to the international contest. In many cases the not mainstream, more interesting songs are left out. Share your favourite with us!
Post edited by lolien on

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    From the hungarian field i had not a particular favourite this year. What i recommend to hear at least once:
    http://www.mediaklikk.hu/video/gaspar-laci-love-and-bass-akusztik/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFCD57jH9Ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--zF9ihpmlw

Also, what we actually send is decent too i think.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    :'( - what terrible lukewarmness to noble institution of Eurovision Song Contest, or ESC in these fora!

I freely admit that hardly ever song wins that I like the best, yet in this era of strife and cynicism the sight of ESC audience is truly heartwarming to me: that sea of different flags, waved supporting each and every act in spirit of joy.

Was time to do my pre-contest research so been browsing here with a run-through of different songs in the background, in instance of enjoyable multitasking...

ESC 2016 specifically, and I am actually a little mystified at myself.

My top favorite at the moment: Ivan of Belarus (Help You Fly), goodness me!

I knew this was the wolves / nudity fellow, so I was assuming after such gimmicks that the song would be awful, but it's not. Plus I liked a lot that the boy was not performing to cameras only but had such a cutesy rapport to audience. If lanky, slightly disaffected charm is yer thing, Ivan has quite some (IMO).

Right behind: France, Norway and Belgium.

I've a spot for FR, and quite exceptionally the video really enhances the song, love its message! With NO, I am a total sucker for syncopation, and love the rhythmic change to refrain. Norway is a great ESC nation in my opinion, would have had both Margaret Berger ('13) and Carl Espen ('14) take the trophy home. I actually fancy myself quite level-headed, but I was actually pretty much swooning after lovely Carl Espen... :blush:

I am though slightly torn about BE, because I am not sure if it is a tribute or rip of legendary bass-hook of Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust." Well executed though, and to be clear, the song certainly has its own thing going on.

I am ashamed that most Europeans almost always decide to send some young women with a love song and similar ilk. It's a damn shame that so many great and unique musicians are not chosen for Eurovision. Just take the Belarus auditions for example. My personal favourite there was Sweet Brains with their song "Dance Like Zombies".

Uh-oh, hope you'll find it your heart to forgive me Kamigoroshi that I actually like the radio-pop-boy that was finally chosen for Belarus! :-p

I was very proud of our (=FI) last year's entry by Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät that is punk by mentally handicapped guys, I think you might like it! I was pretty crushed when it did not progress to the final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePhjs-3q068

The win by Lordi was obviously big, big thing for us! Considering I am a Rammstein fan, among others, I obviously had no prob whatsoever with the metal-sound.

To me, best contests are musically varied - I still remember 2013 fondly in this regard.
    lolien said:

From the hungarian field i had not a particular favourite this year.

Hope I do not come across too mainstream when I confess I loved, loved Kedvesem by ByeAlex, also in my beloved 2013 ESC edition?

And I don't even have a thing for lanky mod-boys - I think!
    Okei, I am presuming soon we'll be in a dire need of ESC 2016 build up and results thread, right? :smiley:

However, I want to signal my total approval that our national broadcaster YLE is making available sign-language translation of lyrics to all hard-of-hearing ESC fans for the first time. Maybe some ESC detractors might thank for small mercies there, lol.

So, a must see video. Gamla Stan by Magnus Carlsson, Sweden - solid Swedish ESC pop, very danceable as you will see. But maybe even more importantly, a most delightful sing-language interpreter - YLE, watch this and learn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0OeBrQBPNc

PS. It takes a lot from a Finn to admit, but Swedes do have an edge on us. YLE will actually be sharing the Swedish broadcast, and I am happy and proud of Scandi-cooperation here! Tusen tack, Sverige.
    Ha!
    edited May 2016
    Ps.
    Actually, I would like to encourage any ESC fans; or anyone who would like to see more robust services provided to people with disabilities, to writer their own national broadcasting corporation to join the fray, if this has not been announced already for your country.

I am presuming YLE contributes something towards the cost, and maybe there are not vast numbers of such fans - but that is not the material point, the principle rather is, IMO. Livestreaming is a low-threshold option anyway, surely, if full transmission is not on the cards.

ESC to my experience is an institution enjoyed as friends and/or family. If anyone deaf could even more fully participate thx to this service that's only nice, I find.

Edit: duplication of "encourage" removed.
    lolien said:

Ha!

The adorable sign-language guy, you mean? What a great and purposeful job he has, gotta love him.

BTW - there is also a rather hot version of this interpretive zeal or truthfulness, where quite a ripped interpreter caused bit of positive stir by mimicking the actual Swedish ESC hopefuls by removing his T-shirt, as the two boys on stage singing about joys of swimming did. Do you wish me to dig and find it for you?
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    I can't remember a single UK song (Song for Europe) song that I've actually liked...
    edited May 2016
    My my, that's a little ungenerous. I like jazz, so I thought Electro Velvet's swingey piece last year was quite good, even if Raphael Gualazzi's more hard-core jazz Follia d'Amore on Italy's grand return made me buy his album.

Joe & Jake this year is actually even better, I find. Best from UK for ages!

Except, uh-oh, they sing "We're in this together." Goes into hashtag voteconservative overdrive, soul departs and goes to... Grimsby. (meta-ref "guess facts about next poster", and being playful)

Edit: Jake & Joe to correct form - took opp to correct bit of spelling etc.
    Hmm...I'll have to check it out, now I'm curious :)
    Just had a listen: They can sing, catchy chorus though I agree with the voteconservative thing...hmm, joins @TStael in Grimsby, they live in Sweden?
    Nice to hear you'll give them a chance, but no pressure to like of course. I did like Electro Velvet, but it was clearly sort of a gimmeckey "Strictly Come Dancing" sort of a song to my mind.

The Joe & Jake thing to me is an authentic pop song that is better than most.

The issue I see with UK is that they'd really like to win Eurovision again soon, but put pretend they do not really care - so the artist that goes has to be thick-skinned. Whomever does not bring the trophy home gets quite savaged, I'd say - leading to sort of ESC tailor-made pieces.

Just my personal take, this.
    edited May 2016
    To be fair the songs out of the UK have been pretty poor. Sweden deserved the win last year I think, was nicely choreographed too.
    sparkleav said:

Just had a listen: They can sing, catchy chorus though I agree with the voteconservative thing...hmm, joins @TStael in Grimsby, they live in Sweden?

I hate to break you the terrible truth but it is east-coast of UK as far as I can tell - but at least our souls can enjoy ESC in less than lonely existence!

@BGLover care to maybe tell us where our souls are? :smiley:
    Yes please @BGLover tell us where our souls are :#
    edited May 2016
    sparkleav said:

To be fair the songs out of the UK have been pretty poor. Sweden deserved the win last year I think, was nicely choreographed too.

See above - it is not trying too hard, I think - but rather trying too consciously, and maybe filtering out grass-root talent. I genuinely wish UK would do "Lenas" - I genuinely liked Satellite when Germany won again. But all National Broadcasters have their relative rigidness - Nightwish, already quite popular then but now one of the more successful Finnish bands was willing to go, general public voted them in, but "professional jury" blocked them. Stupid and frustrating!!

Sorry, do not quite agree about Måns Zelmerlöw (of 2015 ESC glory).

Curious circle come complete, but as this year I do not (quite) begrudge Belgium pretty much referencing legendary bass-riff of Queen, I do not hold the eventual inspirations to Heroes against Måns.

What outraged me is that the animated gnome (tomte) figure in the background was a direct rip from 3rd party. OK, they changed it for ESC - but how about apology and compensation?

To me, Belgium (Loïc Nottet - Rhythm Inside) was the clear winner. Pray check, and tell me what you think! :-)

Unlike Måns who merely performed the song, Loïc @19 composed his own. Plus choreographed the unstolen stark, cool visuals of that performance. I was very impressed. I always love it better when the actual song-writer is on stage.
    TStael said:

Hope I do not come across too mainstream when I confess I loved, loved Kedvesem by ByeAlex, also in my beloved 2013 ESC edition?

And I don't even have a thing for lanky mod-boys - I think!

I liked it too (despite being mainstream), but we were somewhat surprised about the international success of that song. It has a catchy toon, but Alex is not the best singer alive. The strongness of the song was it's lyrics(IMHO), and i don't think it get through to other languages perfectly (maybe i'm wrong).

Here's one of my favourite from 2014:

Iceland, Pollapönk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwfGKEIn5xw
    And here is btw Samir & Viktor, and their handsome sing-language interpreter.

Go straight to 2:15 if your corrupt or ESC happy soul would like to join sparkleav and I in Grimsby for 2016 ESC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI1JQX8mAc4

Ps. I am not perso one for über-ripped, I like the natural, and do not want to objectify the guy more than he wished himself to do for pleasure of fans, and himself, I bet. What really pleases me about this is the fact that sex-appeal is associated with sign-language - that's pretty fine by me!
    edited May 2016
    lolien said:

I liked it too (despite being mainstream), but we were somewhat surprised about the international success of that song. It has a catchy toon, but Alex is not the best singer alive. The strongness of the song was it's lyrics(IMHO), and i don't think it get through to other languages perfectly (maybe i'm wrong).

Iceland, Pollapönk

@Myrkvi - Pollapönk. Proud u? :-)

I did like, but remain more partial to ruder "retard" version by our PKN. (I quote PKN here) Bit patriotic here, maybe? :-)

I actually already knew the word "kedvesem" - darling, my treasure, or kultaseni - and I love it. A mod-boy to say it, maybe, lol? From having read Austrian-Hungarian history, I know the empress Sissi addressed so her daughter because she was quite admiring of Hungary. Finns find Fenno-Ugrian connection important, generally.

However, a generous youtuber K Krisztina translated the song, and great lyrics those were, I think! "My darling is such a girl whom the wolves have raised, whom has danced upon a mirage, and quietly dissipated, my darling..."

Translation back upon translation, but thx Krisztina - I loved the lyrics! Also, btw - YLE subtitles each song, which I really respect and appreciate, even if it is something so horrendously inane as a guy dumping a girl for calling him her "little cheesecake."

När Jag Blundar (Pernilla Karlsson, ESC 2012) suffered from the same, I think. It was composed by her brother about their mother, really sweet song about children's love for their mother - but in Swedish, so most would not know the story, unless their broadcasting corporation would be like YLE, and subtitle well.

It has English translations for sure - check it out, maybe, even if not all of them might be that good.

"Som en sjö utan vatten, som en lykta utan ljus; ett liv utan färger, det är inte du. Kär utan kjänslor eller skratta utan ljud; ett liv utan färger, det är inte du." (=Like a lake without water, a lantern without light; a life wihout colours is not whom you are. Love wihtout feelings, or laughter without sound etc).

Edit: repeated the video by mistake which I eliminated, and had to add "like" for "som."
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Favorite Eurovision song ever: Nocturne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qqOI04uo_c

Favorite so far this year: Italy. (They are among my favorites almost every year.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySSLip5uzc

My favorite in the Danish selection this year: Heart Shaped Hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhQG8-aWF_4
    Nice choices from @Montresor_SP ! Seem you are quite partial on ballads, would be my bold guess. :-)

I have to agree with you that I'd rather have sent Simone for DK had it been my choice, even if Lighthouse is still better than average this year (to my taste). Especially beginning of the song is quite mesmerizing, I find.

Really, I just have to affirm again that Norway is a fantastic ESC nation - with whom FI has shared joys of curshing defeat in 1990 at eight points each in Scandi-soldiarity, lol. We might have deserved that place that year but I thought it was very unfair to "Brandenburger Tor!"

Actually Italy from that year is one of the rare relatively recent wins I wholeheartedly agreed (even if FR was also great that year) - "Insieme" is a song I love, with its optimistic message. So glad they returned, and most often send songs in Italian.

Next year represents the worst miscarriage of justice to me - sorry on this one Sweden - Amina for France was superb, original, with total command of the stage. No gimmikcs - just her and her song. With current point count rules she would have won, of course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnxEBAoCZIw
    What I think we really need is cross-over of Ice Hockey and ESC trivia. There has never been a football-ESC double-champion in history of the competitions, WC or Euro. Obviously we need this.... right? :wink:

Just getting already a bit hyped up for FI-DE in Hockey WC match today - not a great sports spectator, but it's.... hockey, and Finland could achieve a magnificent triple of U18, U20 & men.

Relating to my Amina-fancier post above, oh cruelty of destiny: not only did Amina lose in 1991 most bitterly, but Sweden became the first Hockey-ESC double champion! And to add insult to injury, FI is flanked - Russia repeated this feat in 2008.

So my argument for voting our representative Sandhja: let's see about hockey WC, and then help us become third double champion!

More seriously, Sing it Away gets more of my approval than most of Finnish efforts. It's pretty okei. Especially refrain is quite glorious Eurovision dance, but mid-part of the song is sort of bland fill to lead unto that highlight. NB: I do have the tendency to be harshest about own songs.

Um... anyone like FI at all this year? :blush: (tentiative smiley because despite what is said above if everyone hates our song I might have to slink into a corner and cry, lol)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @TStael IIHF WC is a joke. Euro 2016 however...

Eh, I will probably still be watching the game of team Finland, but wouldn't it be great if we were instead good at football.
    edited May 2016
    TStael said:

Um... anyone like FI at all this year? :blush: (tentiative smiley because despite what is said above if everyone hates our song I might have to slink into a corner and cry, lol)

I don't hate sing it away, if this helps.
    However i prefer sing it all away.

From the FI national final i enjoyed the most the barbies:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih5cQrdONBo

Edit: I sad to see no actual finnish song in the final. Or was english a standard?
    Post edited by lolien on

@TStael IIHF WC is a joke. Euro 2016 however...

Eh, I will probably still be watching the game of team Finland, but wouldn't it be great if we were instead good at football.

A triple footie-hockey-ESC champion, you say? Yer ambition knows no bounds, but I like your style! :-) The match today was for sure not boring, and bit like supporting BE in football WC - working out in the end, but stressful, because of defensive weaknesses. (IMO)

How about posting "non mainstream" ESC song for us, though, pray @FinneousPJ ?

I could besides swear that I heard first few beats of Russia's ESC number during the match today (RU hosts)- but am not sure as it was abruptly cut to commercials.

In case anyone has missed, I for one am pleased that Justin Timberlake will be making ESC the outlet for a world debut for his new single. Not because I am fan of Timberlake (I'm not), but I think it is a pertinent demonstration of love and prestige of the competition. (Swedes - well done, again - besides the sign-language thing!)

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=justin_timberlake_makes_world_premiere_live_performance_in_the_eurovision_song_contest
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @TStael That would be ambitious indeed. Today was the first time team Finland met a challenge, and to be honest I am not too impressed. Of course, only results matter in the end.

This song was crazy a few years back :D
    https://youtu.be/VgHWFiavqjA
    lolien said:

I don't hate sing it away, if this helps.

Edit: I sad to see no actual finnish song in the final. Or was english a standard?

How nice of you lolien to spare me from having to find that corner to cry in - my soul being in Grimsby, it might have been hard going. :-p

Walk of the Earth is nice, and thx to Eurovision rules they could come and join, and do célinedions. (Except sorry Dion fans, I would rather not have had her catapulted unto worldwide fame, unfortunately I dislike her music quite a bit)

But then hopefully you liked our Paradise Oscar of ESC2011? Together with mental-handicap punk of last year, and Pernilla one year later, this one is one of the rare cases where I was really devastated we did not get more success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0xmTs074uI&list=RDo0xmTs074uI&index=1
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Out of the ordinary, you say? Here's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyE2M4X4KUI