Skip to content

What is your favourite (not)Eurovision song? (Now with Hockey. Don't ask, just discuss!)

Comments

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Decisions, decisions...

• sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    That is a dilemma. :)
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    :cry:

So you can guess, congrats to Canada. The winning goal came from a terrible defensive blunder, and well done Canada for having frustrated everything we tried - but now I must really mope a little...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Montresor_SP Erm, UEFA CL final is next week.

Good game Canada. Wow what a battle!

@Montresor_SP Erm, UEFA CL final is next week.

Good game Canada. Wow what a battle!

Yes, I don't know what came over me there.

Congrats to Canada! They learned from their mistakes in their first match against Finland.
    I'm assuming it was a good game? :)
    Ok. I've moped, so I wanted to come back to praise Canada deservedly - even if I freely and happily admit to having been, and being, very biased to Finnish success! :-) On that game, CA deserved it - well improved from the first game, oh ever so well neutralising FI attack - that needs must be able to compensate a rare defensive blunder.

And damn you FI & CA both - my nerves were never preserved! :-p And just for the record, I am not a generic hockey fan - not into NHL actually - it's the national teams coming together that enflame my passion, and I decidedly prefer the larger ice rink.

@sparkleav - indeed, a good game it was. Canada was, cruelly for me, better, but champions they deserve to be. And despite the ill timed defeat, team FI had amazing season too! :-)

For final cross-over closure, here is another ESC favourite of mine not quite doing as well as it deserved in my eyes. This was French football national team anthem back then. I adored France for having chosen that for Eurovision 2010!!

I loved the positive energy, and remain seriously impressed that Jessy Matador & co could do all that dancing without losing breath for singing! (Pleased to tell u FI awarded Jessy seven points, if memory serves...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5zlJq87fqA
    Sounds like it was a good game then :) Hopefully next year Finland will come back stronger.
    sparkleav said:

That actually sounds quiet frustrating. I can only comment on the football side as I don't watch hockey (obviously).

Obviously?? And: !

I shall have you know that I brought my blessedly fine and rare Taiwanese friend to watch FI-CH "friendlies" preparatory hockey match in Basel, and a great Sat afternoon we both had! The sweetest bit was a child-supporter of CH wanting to give us one of his three Swiss freebie flags, when we had to explain we were for the guests.

I must add she also suffers my ESC enthusiasm with more than mediocre pleasure, I gather. Aperol Spritz (=sparkling wine + Aperol + one can skip tonic water obviously) might explain a bit of the latter.

Just hope you may befriend persons whom share their love of things you'd never had on your own. Hockey or ESC could figure... :smiley:

Congrats to Canada! They learned from their mistakes in their first match against Finland.

The valuable human reason and belonging with their friends against sports bubble I suspect, and I much like your style for it, Trésor!

I was yesterday for the fifth year in sequence in Young Stage circus-festival, and I think it was the most compelling thus far - but on Sun I had to txt my friend to be sure it really was Monday, and not hockey final Sunday. I feel a little ashamed. You are fine with this, I think! :smile:

And indeed congrats to Canada - but again I will look fwd to DK in the next championships, and FI without question. I frankly except DK to come to top four soon, or hope at least! Been my non-FI team to support for about four-three years now thx to enjoyable game-play and moving forth so decisively.
    I enjoy ESC :) I just didn't watch it properly this year. Hockey on the other hand just isn't a big deal over here I think. We've got Wimbledon soon, all the strawberries and cream you can eat :D
    sparkleav said:

I enjoy ESC :) I just didn't watch it properly this year. Hockey on the other hand just isn't a big deal over here I think. We've got Wimbledon soon, all the strawberries and cream you can eat :D

Bu-bääh, and why not? "Smultronstället" or "mansikapaikka" iterates towards the natural, rather than the refined, such as Wimbeldon...
    edited May 2016
    Haha, I didn't have the time. Wimbledon has become rather boring over the years though the endless amount of strawberries on supermarket shelves never get old :) Even though I'd rather pick my own :)
    edited May 2016
    That's a bit odd. Aren't strawberries in season late summer? Or past midsummer I mean
    They're either imported from elsewhere in Europe or grown in greenhouses

That's a bit odd. Aren't strawberries in season late summer? Or past midsummer I mean

I like your style Finneous - but wild strawberries are simply not known where they are not naturally given. Same might be said of blueberries or raspberries, of course!
    sparkleav said:

They're either imported from elsewhere in Europe or grown in greenhouses

@FinneousPJ - mansikkamaito ja muut ihanat proleuden merkit, jne? ;-)

'leav - a good portion of Finns such as me - and I should like to think Finneous - are sort of agrarian or rural by birth. We might pluck our wild strawberries from the sunny side of a ditch belonging to a gravelled country-side road - but never would we go with industrial "cream" that you must imply, unless you whip it.

But we still like you, of course! And Finneous might find me too un-urban, too, for that matter... :smile:

@sparkleav Yes, I get that. My point is you would think they would instead pick seasonal treats.

@sparkleav Yes, I get that. My point is you would think they would instead pick seasonal treats.

Or just ... play hockey? ;-) Never been a tennis fancier, but it's nice enough that you are.
    edited May 2016
    I'd rather pick my own strawberries if there were still fields where they grow or even better wild strawberries :) Our town has become (almost) the outskirts of London as it's expanded so much so a lot of the fields and farms have gone :( . I don't watch the tennis much anymore, I was just saying that it's Wimbledon season soon and that's a huge thing in the UK rather than hockey ;) Oh and I like you guys too :)
    @sparkleav I do in fact appreciate yer sentiment, except the nature relation is very important for Finns, and I think Swedes, and Icelanders; the Norwegians; and the Danes; the Estonians, and the Hungarians.

I know we are neighbours. and we would love each of us to do well. To me, Scandi free movement is the most ideal. It is.

I dislike cities and large built up areas in general.
    sparkleav said:

I dislike cities and large built up areas in general.

I just do not think this is what is the substance.

It is actually loving your neighbour. Imperfect, or maybe flimsy to some, I frankly want Scandinavia, and Estonia and Hungary to do well.

FI is obviously imperfect - but I do love our neighbours very strong, and hope not to be very jealous should they excel. :-)

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    "What is your favourite (not)Eurovision song? (Now with Hockey. Don't ask, just discuss!)"

Sorry I've got to ignore your title and ask. Whats this thread about? :)
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I think it's a calm corner of the forum, where some friendly folks can share their affections.
    I agree with @lolien

I too have no idea what this thread is about @elminster but there's lots of love and affection in this thread :)
    elminster said:

"What is your favourite (not)Eurovision song? (Now with Hockey. Don't ask, just discuss!)"

Shoes and ships and sealing wax, and cabbages and kings. :tongue:
    and cats, can we have cats too?? I've just slammed the front door closed on my foot to try and stop my cat from running outside :'(
    Just fyi, @lolien - I hope it pleases you slightly to know that in our frustrated quest to see Ennio Morricone conduct an orchestra in Paris, we ended up with "50 master-works from Budapest" in Luxembourg.

I hope it pleases you even better that both me, and my Taiwanese friend whom prompted us to go, were superbly disappointed with curatorship of this expo!

Fine paintings, sure.

Only we expected it to be thematic about Budapest - you can grab high-profile individual art works from anywhere, but shall there be no focus on Budapest, on Hungarian art trends or court's mecenat, no "Leitmotiv"?

Rippl-Rónai we saw, thankfully. And I don't think it is her soul on that cage. :-D Have you seen it - or was this really legit sort of expo? (meaning best chance of people knowing this art work was... Paris, Lux)

elminster said:

Hum... A love-in of European sort, maybe? Be it Eurovision, hockey, footie, or art, or even politics - there is an angle to like each other, and learn more, or just fool around amicably.

Canada is not that far away, I think. Except a bit alone, and you never came to brandish your triumph upon Canada winning hockey WC either! ;-)