Skip to content

What is your favourite (not)Eurovision song? (Now with Hockey. Don't ask, just discuss!)

123457»

Comments

• TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Skatan said:

So.. did the right song win?

So what do you guys think?

Yes and no - I do think if Netta were allowed to use the sequencer her song would have been at its best, which I thought was pretty good.

But even with this handicap, I still think it was glorious for Netta to triumph over the "this issexy hair flipping" act, perso.

I only hope the next ESC will be ok for all fans.

BTW: I'd wear the Ingrosso vinyl jacket to a job interview before having Ed Sheeran imposed on me. :wink:
    And EXPECT TO BE HIRED!

But I also strongly suspect Ingrosso was not bashed, like Saara Aalto was.

My vinyl point still stands, and my positive thoughts of Sweden likewise! :smile:
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited June 2018
    Skatan said:

So.. did the right song win?

I saw it the day after and my GF already know who won when we watched it (I'm much more of a fan of this than she is) and I said I liked Italy best myself, but I thought Israel would be in the top. I had read some pre-commentary and voted also Cyprus (sounded a bit like a weeaker version of the Ukraine song that won around 10 years ago or so). I did not expect Germany to be so high, though I think it's a good song but perhaps a bit to much Ed Sheeran. Sweden's low scores from viewers didn't surprise me so much. I don't know what happened this time compared to the local competetion, but his voice completely vanished in most parts of the song in Lissabon. As I mentioned above, he's not a strong singer and his voice easily get's overshadowed by the background singers. Its easy being clever in retrospect, but I felt he got what he deserved, a decent score but not a top placement.

So what do you guys think?

Bit late to the thread but my not very serious thoughts.

The Israel song sucked, awful and disliked the singer. TBH I didn't think much of any of the songs this year.

That said,
    Norway should have won, Alexander Ryback should always win. When you have a charisma score that high who gives a f*** about the song? (actually I quite liked it)

I wanted Finland and Saara to do better, soft spot for her after X factor. She's an amazing singer.

The UK, what can I say?
    Do you have any idea what it is like for a Brit to have watched ESC for nigh on fifty years and having to watch us send non entity after non entity?
    My adult children are now saying exactly what I and most Brits have been saying since the sixties.

It hurts, we send rubbish and at home in those decades we have had the Beatles, Led Zepp, Bowie, Queen, Pink Floyd, the Who, Elton John, Take That, One Direction, Adele, ect. ect. ect. the list is too long. Other than the US, nobody comes close.

I mean come on Paul McCartney, what have you got to lose? You are bloody old and you could write a winning song on the back of a fag packet. What, you're worried your reputation might be messed up, give over.

As I said, it hurts and that's why the UK is so dismissive. We came second last? Something like that, the song was boring.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Oh yeah I disliked the Israel song as well.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    TStael said:

Yes and no - I do think if Netta were allowed to use the sequencer her song would have been at its best, which I thought was pretty good.

@TStael I don't know what you are talking about, sequence? I'm not much into ESC other than the actual music, so I miss out on a lot of info since I don't read much before/after, I mainly just see the show itself.

Regarding bashing in the media, it's kinda the same here in Sweden as well. The bashing can get very intense (and disturbing, I hate it). It was especially cruel some ten years ago or so when one of Sweden's songs ended up so low that the next year we had to qualify in the semi's (back when not everyone had to do the semi's).

So far I haven't listened to any ESC afterwards. Not really for any reasons, just haven't.

@UnderstandMouseMagic I can feel you. You guys really do send crap, but you don't have a national show before the ESC right? Where the ppl get to vote who and which song to send? I guess most other countries have that (except for a couple of states who treat ESC as some kind of stage for political propaganda).

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    UK is always underscored, i think they have a decent song this year, it would have deserved a strong middle placement. Netta was not my favourite either, but still better than the second probable.

@Skatan

Yes we do have a national show to judge which song to send. That said, it's not very well respected. On the whole the singers and songwriters aren't ever very good.

It sounds arrogant, but how can the people take it seriously when nobody famous or current ever takes up the challenge?
    Every year (for practically 50 years+) it's hard to ignore that in the charts you have practically household names in every country in the world from the UK, and then some non entity turns up with a song/entry for the ESC. And that's all we get to choose from.

It's nobody's fault other than the huge link with the US. Our artists/bands always have "making it big in the US" as their priority, mainly because if they are good (or at least have something popular) they can.

The other thing that happens in reverse, it that very, very, few ESC winning songs or good songs ever make any impact in the charts. Let alone our own entries.
    Waterloo got to number 1 and that's the exception to some extent.

The song we sent in 2015, as an example (I just looked it up), charted at no. 114, 2016 at no. 81. We didn't like them, why should anybody voting in the ESC like them?
    If you're already a big name you have little to gain by entering the contest. Why would you?

If you're already a big name you have little to gain by entering the contest. Why would you?

Fun? Cheer everybody up in the country you are from? Put on a show? Just take part because lots of people would enjoy it?

Plenty of reasons.
    It's a big audience and frankly, if you have "made it", why not?
    We put up with their endless promotion of themselves so they can make the money, a bit of payback wouldn't go amiss.
    Clearly the big artist don't agree with your reasons, though.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    The UK used to send big names about 50 years ago - Sandie Shaw, Cliff Richard, Lulu, Mary Hopkin in 1967-1970 - and also Katrina and the Waves in 1997. All of these either won or came second. Jade Ewen also came 5th in 2009 with a song co-written by Andrew Lloyd-Webber, who appeared on stage with her.

But when they tried sending big names in 2012 and 2013 (Engelbert Humperdinck and Bonnie Tyler) they ended close to the bottom. So if I were a big star and I were offered the opportunity to represent the United Kingdom in the Eurovision, I don't think I'd do it. I would have very little to gain and a lot to lose - anything but a top-5 result would be seen as a failure.
    TStael said:

Feel the same problem anywhere else? No win = bash, bash!

I think the Danish press is generally fair towards our participants, regardless of result. A bad result is more often seen as, "We picked the wrong song" or, "The competition was strong this year."

If we feel we were robbed, we just blame the stupid juries and/or stupid televote. :wink:
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    @Skatan

Netta's gimmick is to loop her own vocals on the go to layer her sound. ESC considers sequencer an instrument so it's banned because all vocals have to be live. Therefore her backing singers had to "fill in" for the live performance.

This did not work (IMO) quite so well, but it was still a very expressive performance - but of course not everyone's cup of tea. I liked it thou! And so many other performances as well, and most of all that there was so much variety in styles - really good year.

Pity Swedish press is equally horrible. It's pretending it's not so serious, but truthfully being damned serious about winning - and lashing out at artists.

@FinneousPJ - remember when Finnish expert jury dropped Nightwish?? And afterwards they never wanted or needed to try again... :'(

I am kind of thinking that if Antti Tuisku really goes on a break, he could afford it career-wise. As performer he'd be such a perfect fit!

@Montresor_SP - good on the Danish press, glad to hear one country is reasonable at least!

Must agree that UK quality was also in my view higher than final placement, and Surie got my immediate sympathy for handling that stage invader so well.